Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Caroline FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/13/06 04:12 AM
I normally don't read fanfiction while I'm in the middle of writing a story, but something made me take a peek at this this morning, and I'm so glad I did. What a lovely vignette! And this:

She should be angry, but in reality she was just as scared as he was and of the same thing: losing the one person in the world who made you part of it.
That was one of those sentences that made me go, "Oooh. I wish I'd written that!" It's succinct and incredibly insightful and really sums up something significant at the heart of the Lois and Clark relationship. Very, very nice.

Thanks for a lovely coffee break smile
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/13/06 06:28 AM
Oh that was great! So very sweet.

Jackie
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/13/06 08:07 AM
This is wonderful, C_A. All of it is so extremely beautifully written, so wonderfully put together. And it is full of the doubts and longing that have haunted this almost star-crossed pair of lovers for two years. But there is also a new sense of belief, of trust, of faith, that comes from their lovemaking and from what Lois saw in Clark during their intimacy - things he could never express to her in any other situation.

I, too, want to quote that exquisite sentence that Caroline already quoted, but I'm asking you to re-read her quote rather than repeating it myself. Let me quote the end of this beautiful vignette instead:

Tonight, she'd found her way back to him. She'd realized that the man she'd thought she'd lost had never left her. She saw now that he had remained the same in every way that counted. There was a whole new side of him that she needed to come to accept, but she would.

Life wasn't fair, or pleasant, but it was real and so was his love for her. She knew that because she knew him.

Lois turned and stepped through the doorway back into his apartment. Leaving the soda can on the coffee table in the living room, she started toward the bedroom, walking slowly past the years and lies and words he had failed to say.

His body above her, she knew he was the one.

In the end, that was the only truth that mattered.
I should stop talking now, after quoting this heartbreakingly beautiful ending. But I have to ask you, C_A: could this possibly be a sequel to something else that you have written?

Once more: Thank you for this lovely, lovely vignette, the loveliest I have read in a very long time.

Ann
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/13/06 09:19 AM
Very, very nice.

PJ
Posted By: LoisLaneWannaBe Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/13/06 10:50 AM
Ah very nice indeed smile

~Lois Lane Wanna Be
Posted By: KSaraSara Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/13/06 01:17 PM
Okay, well Caroline hit the nail on the head... there are so many of "those sentences that made me go, "Oooh. I wish I'd written that!"" Actually, my first reaction is more of a gasp and then an AWWWWW!!

And yet, in his bed, his body above her, she had felt that he was still the same: caring, honest, truthful, painfully in love with her.
Oh, how I LOVE the "painfully in love with her." I love the whole sentence, but that phrase is just... perfect.

It seemed as though he no longer cared. Or perhaps, in his heart, he was already in a place where the truth no longer stood between them.
Beautiful sentence!

Her initial anger had dissipated once she’d realized that his not telling her had little to do with her and everything to do with him.
eek How true is this?! Wow.

And Caroline and Ann already quoted the rest of what I'd wanted to.

Beautifully written, C_A!!! notworthy

Sara smile
Posted By: angelic_editor Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/13/06 03:39 PM
This was wonderfully written, C_A — beautiful and poignant and so insightful.

This, in particular, got me right *there*:
She had needed courage tonight, because her panic threatened to overwhelm her. But she’d also needed him, because he had always been her only need.
Lovely.

Thanks for sharing this on the boards!
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/14/06 12:57 AM
CA

This is beautifully written. smile1 I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool
Posted By: In4Adventure Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/14/06 03:21 AM
What they said. laugh

Seriously, this is a wonderful vignette, full of emotions and hope for the future. No dragged out hurt or madness but Lois realizing very quickly what is important to her. No wasting time there. blush

Natascha thumbsup
Posted By: C_A Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/14/06 11:32 AM
Wow! Once again, I'm floored by the response! Thanks, Caroline (also for breaking your own no-fic-when-writing rule!), Jackie, Ann, Pam, LoisLaneWannaBe, Sara, angelic_editor, Tricia and Natascha!

I should stop talking now, after quoting this heartbreakingly beautiful ending. But I have to ask you, C_A: could this possibly be a sequel to something else that you have written?
Thanks so much for your comments, Ann. No, this story is not a sequel. I have written other L&C fic before (you can read it here ), but this vignette is a stand-alone, after-the-fact introspective piece of slightly melancholy fluff goofy .
Posted By: Xanabee Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/21/06 02:05 AM
Really beautifully written. So insightful.

Great vignette! thumbsup

Ursie
Posted By: C_A Re: FDK: His Body Above Her 1/1 - 05/23/06 05:17 AM
Hi Ursie, just saw your reply. Glad you liked it! Thanks! smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards