Print Thread
#29782 05/09/06 02:40 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Marcy, I don't believe in corporal punishment, but I'll make an exception for your muse. If this is how she responds to threats and beatings, then you should beat her up more often. Because this is so lovely, you know:
Some microcosmic portion of her brain was jumping up and down screaming "I knew it!", but she was rejecting that portion currently in favor of the other Loises in her head. One of them was shredding a symbolic Clarkie bear into pieces while cursing, and another was scrambling desperately to search the "hard drive" for a snappy comeback, but failing in the attempt. Still another had fallen down in a heap, crying. All in all, there was a lot of chaos.

She shook herself, trying to convert the conflicting messages her brain was sending into one coherent message. Focusing back on the smug superhero before her, fortunately, served just that purpose, as all of her brainwaves merged into one tidal wave of anger.
Do you know how much I just love these images you put in my head? Yes, yes, I know I've told you before. But I mean it just as much every time I tell you. (Besides, didn't I make a god start of this FDK, quoting a not-so-small part of this rather short chapter?)

Then Lois told Clark a few words he really needed to hear - that he had been treating her like a child, trying to control her just like her father had, instead of living in a respectful, adult relationship with her. And then she started hitting him, delightfully demonstrating that she is not always perfectly mature and grown-up herself, and he had to catch her hands. And then this was so adorable:
Clark grabbed her flailing arms, and held them firmly, but gently. Lois gave up, mesmerized as his intense brown eyes pierced her with one of his most pathetic, puppy dog stares. It was then she became aware of the close proximity of his body to hers.

She swallowed a lump in her throat, and her cheeks flushed. She wondered at the heat that came from his hands, which cradled her wrists. Butterflies swirled in her stomach, all of which just confused her more.
Adorable, Marcy. Lois's physical gut reaction to Clark - oh, she will never, ever have one like that to Dan. Take it from me, Lois.

Well, she gets herself under control, and punishes him by thanking him for telling her about his secret and making it possible for her to have some closure, but she is still marrying Dan, thank you. But then Clark's reaction to that statement from her really startled me (and startled Lois too):

Some shock registered as she realized a single tear was falling down his cheek.
Well, that packed an emotional punch for me. And as I read on, the after-effect of that impact got just stronger and stronger:

Had she ever seen him shed tears before?

She searched for some stray memory to rise to the surface. Yes, now that she considered, he had before. Maybe on a rare occasion. On the night they had consummated their marriage.

Those had been jubilant tears,each one a testament to his love. And, of course, just a few. His eyes had watered as he told her it was the most beautiful moment in his life. That she made him feel whole, like he finally belonged somewhere. She had known that was important to him.

After his parents had died in a car accident four years ago, he must've felt very alone. She never realized how alone.
Marcy, you took me completely by surprise by this. I had expected to laugh and smile at your story, not cry because of it. But those three paragraphs were so unexpected to me, and they hit me so hard emotionally, that I almost cried, too. Suddenly you made me feel so extremely sorry for this infuriating lunkhead, who had been treating his wife so inexcusably bad. Adding that part of how he suffered because of his most heartbreaking Superman rescues, and how he hadn't been able to talk to anyone at all about them, made this part of your story even more poignant to me.

Hmm, and then I guess your muse got tired of having things beaten out of her, and she just took off. That happens, and I hope she won't be on the run for too long, because I just have to see where you - and her - are taking this!

Ann

#29783 05/09/06 03:38 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
i hope they get back together plz i'm crying everytime i read it whinging whinging

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
#29784 05/09/06 05:48 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
whinging

Please get them back together! grovel I'm begging you. I'm not easily moved to tears and I can count on one hand how many movies of TV shows that have made me ball my eyes out. Still this really spoke to me and while I didn't cry I did feel that knot in my throat.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#29785 05/11/06 01:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#29786 05/13/06 08:41 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Marcy

A great part! smile1

Tricia cool

#29787 05/26/06 12:35 PM
L
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
L
When's the next chapter coming....they HAVE to get back together!!! grovel

#29788 05/26/06 08:19 PM
Columnist
Columnist
yeah can't wait either.

#29789 06/01/06 12:04 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Still waiting! Please come back and finish this ASAP!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#29790 06/01/06 06:39 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sorry for the long delay--my story has been on the back burner the last couple weeks with family in town and other RL chaos (family sickness, etc.) going on. Just know this story has not left my mind, and I am still trying to put it all back together in my mind how I want it to end. I promise to put the toys back together though before I am finished. I can't stand unhappy endings!

I'm humbled that anyone is still waiting, and I hope I won't disappoint you when I get it posted. This is what I get for posting an unfinished story, right? I should learn better. blush
To be honest, I thought I was writing a short piece when I started, and it has just grew and grew alot longer than I thought it would be. Also, the characters seem to have become way more intense than I thought they would be. I love reading others' longer works, but they're kind of a pain to finish, aren't they?

Oh well, just thought I'd give everyone a heads up and let you know I haven't forgotten about the boards, even if it appears that way.

Marcy peep

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
#29791 06/06/06 11:31 AM
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
When you first started this I said that I loved this story, even given that i've never seen 'His Girl Friday' but having just catching it on the TCM channel, I really can't wait to read more.

Everyone was right about the movie it was fast-paced and hilarious. It seemed as if the movie was only about a half hour long with the dialogue they had going. Can't wait to find it on DVD.

Can't wait to read more.

#29792 06/18/06 10:10 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Please, Marcy, I'd love to read the rest of this. Please finish it! grovel

Ann

#29793 06/20/06 10:51 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sorry for this delay...my muse kind of ran off after part 7 and I've been chasing her down ever since. I'm still not sure where this is going even though I anticipate some sort of happy ending. My goal was just to do a l and c take on the movie, seeing how the characters would react in those circumstances. Well, I have finally cranked out two more pages on my file, though painfully, and sent them off to Labby earlier. So as soon as I can I'll post when I get it back. Sorry this has taken so long...can't promise when the next post will be after that(I'm 4 mos pregnant with 4th child, had lots of fatigue as well as morning sickness and such)so needless to say, RL is incredibly busy. But I enjoy so getting to write and reading all the feedback...it's my way of taking a break when I can. smile I appreciate everyone's comments so much, and I am bound and determined to finish this thing. I just hope someone is still wanting to read it when I finally do get it finished.
help

Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
#29794 06/20/06 10:58 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Good to hear from you, Marcy. Congratulations on expecting a new baby, but obviously you have to take care of yourself. Post when you can. Again, take care.

Ann

#29795 06/20/06 11:27 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh wow! Congrats!!! All the best!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#29796 06/20/06 06:08 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Congratulations. Wow a new baby. Can't wait for a new part and we'll be waiting for the rest as long as it takes.

Tahu

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard