Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hi there!

Long-time lurker, but first time poster here! This is my first fic written in the L&C universe. I'm very happy to be joining such a welcoming and long-lasting community.

The story begins here: Undercover Reporter (1/3)
It's complete, and in 3 parts. No beta on this one, so it's all me! I'm hoping to submit to the archive when it's complete, and so naturally I'm happy to hear anyone's feedback!

Enjoy! And thanks for reading.

1 member likes this: KSaraSara
Blogger
Blogger
I'm really liking this fic so far! It's interesting to see how Lois and Superman's dynamic has shifted since Clark's apparent death. Overall, very well done!

On another note, if you're ever looking for a beta on your next fic, I'd be glad to offer my services. I'm new to the fandom as well and still lurking until I finish my first fic.

"I hope this little incident hasn't put you off of flying. Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel."
2 members like this: JadedEvie, KSaraSara
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
WOW oh, wow… this was really phenomenal and my heart is still racing! And the FEELS…OMG… I’m trying to figure out how this is only going to be three parts, but boy am I looking forward to reading the rest!! The writing was fantastic—you did a really awesome job with the setting and tone and … just everything! How often do you think you’ll post? smile1

And welcome to de-lurking!! We’ve had quite a few of you lately, and it makes my heart so happy!! If you’re the type to chat with fellow fans (and want some writing support too!), a bunch of us hang out in Discord! We’d love to have you join us there too (find the link to join in my signature below). But no worries if it’s not your thing!

Glad to have you!

Sara laugh

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

1 member likes this: JadedEvie
Features Writer
Features Writer
Great start with an interesting (although heartbreaking) premise! Can't wait to see where it goes! clap

Welcome to the boards! smile1

Same question as Sara -- when do you think we'll see the next chapter? grin

-Bek

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome! wave

That is an interesting start and a different premise. It's unusual to find a story where Clark stays dead for long and only Superman is around. His reticence and her awkwardness are understandable. She feels guilty for Clark's "death" and Superman doesn't want to get close because he doesn't know how to act around her, but he can't stay away when she's in danger. sad What a mess they got themselves into. mecry

You've done a great job setting the atmosphere and tone. I felt the urgency and tension along with Lois all the time. shock

Please, keep posting and writing! hyper

Andreia cool

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Thanks so much for the feedback!

drdeathdefying, thanks so much! I think my subconscious was out to prove that Lois needs Clark more than she needs Supes. So, without Clark, her subconscious treats him a lot more like Clark. wink But, of course, a lot of other complicated emotions are mixed in there.
Also, I will totally take you up on that beta offer! I've got a couple of other story drafts in the mix right now, but they're longer than this one. Can I reach out once I figure out which one I'll be posting first?
And good luck on your own story, too! It's definitely a push to come out of the comfy lurking shadows.

KSaraSara, daaaaawwww, you're making me blush. Thank you so much! The tension is SO HARD to write. I was really working on that here (when is the description just too much, and when is it moving the plot or emotional story forward), so thank you so much for picking that out, lol. This one is just a mini-adventure. But don't worry - I've got a few more stories in the works and this is the little one. wink
I'll probably post the second part of this in the middle of next week, and the last bit some time around next weekend. Your comment about length actually made me wonder if I'm skating through the ending too quickly or lightly, so now I want to take another look at it.
Discord scares me. peep Let me get a hang of the boards and I'll check that out next!

Last edited by JadedEvie; 08/04/23 11:01 AM.
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I love this set up so much.

She’d finally learned to be more cautious this year. It turned out that rushing headlong into danger didn’t necessarily catch up with you. But it could catch up to those around you. It could catch up to the person you’d somehow least expect to ever be in danger. The person who was always cautious when you weren’t. The person you’d come to rely on to just always be there.

This is brilliant. Losing Clark the way she did in TOGOM (and not getting him back) would have had been fundamentally life changing for Lois. This realization is truly the only thing that would have taught her to be more cautious.

I'm excited to see where this goes. I like the idea of seeing her changed relationship with Superman, but I'm wary of how this can be resolved with a happily ever after of any kind. This level of deception seems impossible to resolve.

(And welcome to the group! I love seeing new authors pop up after so many years of the show being off the air. I love that it's still speaking to people after all this time.)

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Bek, thank you! I so appreciate the kind words and encouragement. Part 2 will probably go up early next week, and the last part at the end of the week/weekend. It's complete (I think), and edited. I'm just going to give it one last review.

Andreia, thank you so much for that feedback! It's sort of a trick to make it feel like things are still moving forward when our two main characters aren't together, you know? And Lois is doing a lot of silent watching - not her strong suit. Hopefully, it's all working together.
I'm totally obsessed with the TOGOM stories. It was (delightfully) resolved very quickly in the episode, but my brain keeps working on what happens to our soulmates when they're separated by time, distance (whether geographical or emotional) and pain?

AnnieM, thank you so much for the warm welcome! I watched this show as it aired, and then found it streaming last year and dove into the Archive. So much of it still feels culturally relevant!
So YES - totally agree that this is the only thing to truly change Lois, though my brain never articulated it as clearly as you have here. And I'm completely with you on the sticky happily ever after -- which definitely makes me nervous about my own ending!! To be honest, this started out as an exercise in grief - what happens when an 'always-moving-forward' character gets struck an absolutely impossible blow? I didn't write this as a 'how-to-solve-it' story, though I feel like saying more gives the game away. (But maybe I should update that summary to say this once it's fully posted). So the ending seems impossible to me, too. But maybe nothing is impossible for two people in love? At least in this universe. love

Blogger
Blogger
Yes, feel free to message me here on the boards. I'll try to reply reasonably fast. I haven't been on the boards as much recently, as I'm binging another show, but I'll be there thumbsup

"I hope this little incident hasn't put you off of flying. Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel."
Features Writer
Features Writer
You definitely have my attention. I am very curious to see how this is resolved and if they'll find a way to bring Clark back or if they'll create a new identity.

Looking forward to more, and welcome! hyper

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
And I'm completely with you on the sticky happily ever after -- which definitely makes me nervous about my own ending!! To be honest, this started out as an exercise in grief - what happens when an 'always-moving-forward' character gets struck an absolutely impossible blow? I didn't write this as a 'how-to-solve-it' story, though I feel like saying more gives the game away. (But maybe I should update that summary to say this once it's fully posted). So the ending seems impossible to me, too. But maybe nothing is impossible for two people in love? At least in this universe.

This makes me even more excited to read the rest. I definitely think this set up has the potential for a really interesting resolution. It would be a shame if it was a cookie cutter happy ending where she instantly got over her grief and it was as if it had never happened. I love happy endings, I just like them to fit the story and feel genuine.

I watched this show as it aired, and then found it streaming last year and dove into the Archive.

There are a bunch of us here who watched it when it was originally airing and then were involved in writing fanfic either at the time or shortly thereafter (there's a big contingency of us who wrote fanfic back in the early 00s when we were in college) and then drifted away for a decade or two before rediscovering the fandom during the COVID lockdown. I think so many of us were looking for familiar, comforting, nostalgic things at that time, that it brought us out of the woodwork. It's been so exciting to reconnect with old friends and meet new fandom members who are also rediscovering the show and diving into the fandom for the first time.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
drdeathdefying - Will do! I'll take another look at my other WIP's once this one is fully posted. What show are you binging now? I just started Superman and Lois, though it's more of a slow crawl that a binge.

Blueowl - A reader's attention is the most I can really ask, so I'm flattered. Hopefully the next two parts will be interesting enough to warrant keeping it. Thank you so much for the kind words and popping in to say hi!

AnnieM - I hear you. I actually took another pass at this ending specifically with your words in mind. While I try to make it difficult for them throughout the whole story, you got me wondering if I let them off the hook too easily. But then again, if Lois had truly had a character-changing moment with Clark's death, those ramifications aren't always predictable. Either way, thanks for giving me something to think about to add a little extra texture!
The familiar, comforting and nostalgic are hard to find and hard won these days - that's absolutely what drew me back to L&C. I've become a pretty firm believer that the heroes you need pop up in your life in the moments (or eras?) that you need them (in fiction, at least). And I think Clark is my hero of the current era of my life. Something about him is just unabashedly, blessedly simple. He's a nice guy that you can rely on. And that's comforting in its way.

Blogger
Blogger
The show I'm watching is Supernatural, which I'm having fun with, but unfortunately, it doesn't help much with giving me motivation for my fic. It and Superman don't have much in common, besides the 'super-' prefix and a TV producer (Robert Singer), funny enough. Speaking of 'Superman and Lois,' I watched a couple episodes a while back. I thought the premise was interesting but I was struggling to get invested in the two sons (i can't remember their names for the life of me). I'm not sure why exactly. But maybe I'll go back and watch some more, who knows.

Last edited by drdeathdefying; 08/07/23 12:56 AM.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
The first part of this story is great. I'm hooked and wondering how they're both going to deal with the fallout of Clark's deception. How does he cope with being Superman full time now? The setup is great and I like how you describe the changes in the relationship between Lois and Superman. Can't wait for that next part.

Welcome to the boards and thanks for delurking. It's good to see the community grow again.

Last edited by bakasi; 08/07/23 10:48 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Columnist
Columnist
Loving this already. Excited to see the new dynamic and how Lois deals with being close to Supes. And how he handles being close to her. Looking forward to more.

J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
drdeathdefying - I have friends that got DEEP into Supernatural. That one will take you a while! I'm 4-5 episodes into Superman and Lois and I'm still waiting for it to really hook me. But I'll stick with it.

bakasi - Thank you so much! I appreciate the kind words and the welcome. Clark's certainly got his work cut out for him on this one. Hopefully some of the work he put into their relationship already will work in his favor, but you never know with Lois! wink Next part should be up today or tomorrow.

CarrieRene - Aww, thank you! And yes, I was actually excited about the fallout of what you're describing. If Clark is who he really is (vs Supes just being what he does), and he's used to having an outlet for that true Clark personality with Lois... He won't be able to keep up the stoic routine for long, I think. I think that's the fun part. smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh my! What a very different take on TOGOM. Superman is really holding back from Lois, while still saving her whenever the Investigative Reporter does something totally off the wall. The big question is, where does the Man of Steel and the woman he loves go from here?

Time to read the next part!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!

So great to see you delurking hyper
with an unwilling new partner. A story set in Season 2, post-TOGOM, in a world where Clark didn’t make it back.
Is the new partner Clark in disguise?

They were littered with driveways and loading docks, but few places to hide an ostentatious SUV.
Makes you wonder if these days, Lois might just rely on a drone.

She’d finally learned to be more cautious this year. It turned out that rushing headlong into danger didn’t necessarily catch up with you. But it could catch up to those around you.
sad

Dropping flat on the ground where she’d be less noticeable than at eye level, she army crawled a few inches forward. Slowly, she peeked around the corner.
You’re giving us lots of beautifully crafted details clap

“…both our heads if anyone sees…tonight,” the first one was saying. “Shake a leg …nobody’s around. …a couple of streets. …in the back.”

She had to guess at most of what they’d said, but it sounded promising.
Time to switch on the close captioning so you can understand the witty dialogue that’s barely audible over the background noise.

Surprised, she realized that he hadn’t turned to make a circuit of the warehouse as she’d anticipated.

Instead, he was headed right toward her!
Competent crooks! Very dangerous.

This neighborhood’s road disrepair would be the story after the bay pollution, if she lived through this!
laugh

Meanwhile, her jog had already taken her nearly to the next corner.

She was going to make it!
I really like the continued footsteps. Gives it a much more ominous vibe. Also, given the mention of her making it, I’ll best brace myself for her not making it. Or running into that annoying partner of hers.

Suddenly, she ran smack into a solid mass, nearly knocking the wind from her. Two arms grabbed her, pulling at her from behind.
See?

One hand clamped over her mouth, and she was pulled backwards.
Oh, look. Partner.

A familiar scent washed over her and she stopped fighting his grip, instead leaning securely back against a recognizably hard chest.

Safe.

She felt safe.
Wouldn’t it be awkward if she mistook the crook for her partner? And even more so if he told her that “thanks but no thanks. Got a girlfriend waiting back home”?

His face was stoic tonight, as usual, his brown eyes alert. She gave him an accusatory ‘what are you doing here?’ look and he raised an eyebrow in return.

She rolled her eyes without bothering to hide the expression from him. Was he planning to be an accomplice or a wet blanket tonight?

These days, she never knew.
Huh. Given her kind of non-depressed attitude. I’m starting to suspect she’s in on it. And Clark’s just overprotective now.

She sniffed as her heart constricted. Before her thoughts could drag her under, she pulled her mind away from the mild-mannered man that they always seemed to stray toward.
Aaaah, Superman’s under-the-covers(sic) with Lois now.

, he’d still found the time to save her bacon from a fire, two robberies, a kidnapping gone wrong and a hostage situation.
She tried to cook, visited her bank (twice), ticked off a crime boss, and took a bus.

But as both the kidnapped and the hostage, he’d deliberately yanked her out of harm’s way and unceremoniously dumped her halfway across town before heading back alone to bag the bad guys. She’d missed details at both scenes,
The fieeeeend!

and nearly been scooped by the Star at her own kidnapping
rotflol

but contemptuously despised his affect on her stories.
/Psst/ I believe this should be ‘effect’?

He’d save her, sure. But at this rate, his idea of a ‘safe’ rescue during Planet business might cost her her job.
rotflol workplace safety officer!

cost her her job.
…which might not be the worst thing to happen to her, she thought wearily.
mecry

And she was still in the neighborhood where she’d started the night! That was a good sign.
laugh clap

It looked like he’d decided to play hero tonight then, and not wet blanket.
Ticked-off Lois is fun!

Her heart skipped a beat.

She grimaced internally, knowing he’d be able to hear that. But he seemed as frozen as she was.
And it’s off to the ER and next, he’ll be monitoring her food, too. Only salads from now on. No more chocolate.

“Do you have a time estimate on that?” he asked with some urgency.

“It’s more of an art than a science,” she retorted.
Oh, they’re so cute!

“Just a second,” she stalled.

A car door opened and slammed shut.

“Out of time,” he said, just as she felt the lock turn.

“Got it!” she said over him, as she felt his arm wind around her again.

And then she was standing in darkness.
Oh, that’s a fun cliffhanger! Not knowing if he interfered or not, instead of if she’s in danger or not.

This was a spectacular debut. The summary-misdirect was also great clap Looking forward to getting to parts 2 and 3!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Morgana, thanks so much for reading! And YES - we see Lois and Clark do so much together, but there's never a huge separation, even when he's sent to Krypton. (Well, at least in the series. wink ) And when Lois is taken away (usually Tempus), we see Clark really start to break down. So I wondered what it would do to them if it was Clark's stubborness separating them, and if the separation was imposed for a longer time. It does not make them happy campers.

Michael, you made my week with this reply! What an incredible way to read this again through another person's lens! It made this story fun all over again for me. Thank you so much for the constructive, kind, and FUN feedback!

Wouldn’t it be awkward if she mistook the crook for her partner? And even more so if he told her that “thanks but no thanks. Got a girlfriend waiting back home”?
I feel like this was the disloyal, promiscuous Lex Luthor in a nutshell - just add GASLIGHTING.

Huh. Given her kind of non-depressed attitude. I’m starting to suspect she’s in on it. And Clark’s just overprotective now.
Hmmmm... that's an interesting idea...

She tried to cook, visited her bank (twice), ticked off a crime boss, and took a bus.
rotflol OMG, I'm dead after this comment. Also, in my head canon, that crime boss was the Prankster. wink

/Psst/ I believe this should be ‘effect’?
Oh, too right. Thank you for catching this!

No more chocolate.
jawdrop I mean... Clark's not a complete masochist.

This was a spectacular debut.
Aw, I'm blushing. Thank you! <3

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!

This is what we call FDK^3 smile

Michael, you made my week with this reply! What an incredible way to read this again through another person's lens! It made this story fun all over again for me. Thank you so much for the constructive, kind, and FUN feedback!
I’m so happy to hear! Always glad to entertain smile1

I feel like this was the disloyal, promiscuous Lex Luthor in a nutshell - just add GASLIGHTING.
He certainly was a character, that guy, wasn’t he?

OMG, I'm dead after this comment. Also, in my head canon, that crime boss was the Prankster.
Ooops? Also, aside from preparing for frequent deaths, it is also recommended to not consume beverages while processing FDK. This reader cannot be held accountable for damages keyboards, laptops or other electronic equipment due to tracheal malfunctions.

I mean... Clark's not a complete masochist.
Hey, it’s either a short life with a happy Lois or a long life with a grumpy Lois.
CLARK: give me a moment…

Aw, I'm blushing. Thank you! <3
smile1

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard