Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
How many times are you writing a fic and you need Superman to go help somewhere for some disaster, accident, or incident? I find I'm using the same situations over and over, and had an idea.

We've got members all over the globe, who have lived through, experienced, or have knowledge about, so many different potential Superman rescue situations. Hurricanes, earthquakes, sink holes, volcanic eruptions, car accidents, industrial accidents, lost/kidnapped people, manhunts, and thousands of other situations where Superman could help, and we can pool our experiences and knowledge to have a bit of a database which writers can pull from.

What are we looking for? Here's a few examples:

There's a good chance we have writers who have never experienced an earthquake. If you've experienced one, or have knowledge on tectonics or disaster management, write a few brief sentences on what it felt like (if you know the magnitude, add that in), what sort of damage you experienced, and any other related problems (fire, loss of power etc).

What are the dangers of being near the coastline? Are rip tides common, and do they stay in one place? How can someone get swept away to sea and what would be the emergency response?

One thing to ask, if you are aware, or have the knowledge, could you include if this is a modern day approach or something that could be expected in the time the show is set. It's amazing how technology has changed in the last thirty (!) years.

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
This is a great idea, Toomi!! And I hope we see a lot of responses!

I’m trying to think if I have any particular knowledge that is useful… no first-hand experiences that I can remember! But I know in Southern Arizona, flash flooding is a big concern in the summer monsoon months. The heavy rainfall over a short period of time can cause flooding in low-lying areas and … well, in Tucson, we didn’t really have a river unless it rained—we had washes (essentially big, sandy riverbeds where water tended to runoff/flow, and there are often bridges built over them). The flash flooding causes fast-moving water in washes/riverbeds/low-lying areas, and that water can EASILY take the fully paved road with it. One of the biggest problems is people thinking that their car can make it across the road because the water doesn’t look so bad or so deep. But the current on that water is STRONG and it sweeps cars and trucks away and carries them down washes. In areas prone to heavy flooding, there are permanent signs posted, warning not to cross or enter when flooded; and in the monsoon season, crews are sent out to commonly flooded areas to post warning signage and barricades. Arizona actually has a Stupid Motorist Law which states that if you need to be rescued after attempting to cross a barricaded section…that you have to pay for the emergency services rendered.

Feel free to PM me or hit me up on Discord if you ever need help with a scene!!

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

1 member likes this: Toomi8
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I live in the Northeast, USA. We get Nor'easters/blizzards.

Heavy snow. Freezing temperatures that can quickly become deadly. White-out conditions are possible. Icy roads lead to accidents. Ice buildups/strong winds can knock out power, often for days for large areas while crews work to restore it. Ice and wind and the heavy snow can knock down trees and/or huge branches that can block streets, smash cars, smash houses. When temperatures get too low, you also run the risk of pipes freezing and breaking, leading to flooding in houses. Everyone panics in the days leading up to the storm and all eggs, milk, bread, toilet paper, bottled water, and shovels disappear from stores. (Not even really joking about that either, I've seen it happen pretty much every time.)

One thing to consider - power outages are not just deadly in terms of people no longer having heat in their homes. People on well water often need electricity to get the water into their homes, so no power means no water. And also, certain medications MUST be refrigerated or they spoil. Insulin is one such medication (our last power outage - admittedly during a summer heat wave/hurricane - spoiled over $1000 worth of my insulin). That can become deadly for a diabetic really quickly and if roads are impassable, Superman might just be the only one to get someone to a hospital on time.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Years ago I experienced an earthquakes in Mexico. One of the hospitals was destroyed which made providing medical aid to the survivors afterwards extremely difficult. If Superman could have flown in truckloads of emergency workers and medicines over damaged roads that would have made a huge difference.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
We went skiing yesterday and it gave me a few thoughts.

Chairlifts and gondolas are all powered... most ski hills are connected to a main power grid and some of the larger ones have backup generators. In the event of a power outage you could have people stranded on chair lifts for hours in ever changing winter conditions. Superman could help rescue individuals.

Plenty of ski resorts are located away from main towns or highways. The one we go to regularly is 15km up a winding mountain road away from the main highway, and 30 minutes drive from a hospital. They do avalanche control in the area, but an avalanche could bury the only road out. One of the other hills we go to is right on the main highway, but is at least an hour in summer conditions from the closest hospital.

Avalanches in the resort are another hazard. I believe there was a deadly avalanche in Italy a few years ago where the resort was partially buried? Most resorts do avalanche control, but it's not an exact science. Avalanches can be deadly from the crushing hazard, being thrown into objects like rocks, trees, etc., plus there's hypothermia and entrapment. It's said if you get buried, spit or pee. It sounds gross but you'll know which way is up otherwise you could be digging yourself deeper. Most free ride areas (at least in Canada) in resorts require you to travel with a beacon, and avalanche rescue gear. Backcountry skiing it's recommended, but not required. Pretty much all beacons use an international standard frequency but beyond that, I'm not sure how they work.

There are plenty of other incidents that can happen (cables on chairs breaking etc.), but not sure how Superman could help other than ferrying people to hospitals.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A couple of years ago a large gondola crash landed in Italy (I think), because one of the wires ruptured.

During the construction of a new subway tunnel a large building collapsed in our city. It was a miracle no one died in that building. Two people were killed in the next building but the death toll could have been much higher.

In mining areas, old tunnels could collapse. Or active mines are a good place for needing Superman's help.

Ships in distress might need Superman.

Or think about Apollo 13. The space program seems to be much more active in the LnC universe.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
D
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
D
I'm from the midwest/Ohio river valley: So Tornados. (I know my info is gonna sound a little PSA but since at least 3 people in my state died Friday night/Saturday morning due to Tornados, I feel justified) . And Yes I have experienced multiple tornados for each one I mentioned I was in the area where it happened.

Superman intervention: The jury is still out on what he could do to prevent tornados. Obviously, he can be useful in the rescue effort by finding people trapped in the rubble of their homes. But I could see a situation where a corrupt government official cuts funding for the warning system (Tornado sirens) and Lois and Clark working on the expose following a disaster.

Tornado Info (Buckle up those seat belts as this is where I get longwinded):

Tornados are caused by a clash of cold and warm air. Typically an area will have a warm day and a strong cold air front moving in will cause an outbreak of strong storms and the possibility of Tornados. This can happen at ANY time of the year (We had one a week before Thanksgiving once) but is more common in spring and summer months.

Tornados also can form in outbreaks patterns where the same area will be hit by multiple tornados in a single day. Indiana experienced 30 in a single day in 2013. And one city (Kokomo) experienced 7 in a single day in 2016.

When Tornados move through an area, the wind is often described as sounding like a freight train roaring past and the sky, for those crazy enough to look, will take on a greenish hue.

Tornado strength is rated on a scale of 0-5. Since 2007, it has been called EF rating, before that it was just an F rating.

EF0, EF1 Is a weak tornado with wind speeds of 65-110 MPH. this tornado will blow trees over and can knock vehicles on their side. Structure damage is typically limited to mobile homes or weak construction (sheds, old barns, dilapidated homes,)

EF2 and EF3 are strong tornados with wind speeds of 111 to 165 MPH. these are the tornados that most think of in terms of damage with it damaging homes and buildings that are well-constructed. My high school ( a steel and concrete structure) was damaged by an F3 in 1998. these will also have the phenomenon of one house being leveled and the neighbor's house being fine.

An EF4 or EF5 is as one of the characters in the movie twister said: "It's the finger of God". These are very violent tornados with wind speeds of 166 to 200+ MPH, and the devastation levels are heartbreaking. These tornados will destroy entire towns when they hit.

Warning levels:
Sadly, tornados can happen in minutes only giving people in the path moment's notice to take cover. This is especially devastating for Tornados that happen at night. Often when conditions are favorable for Tornanadic activity the weather service will issue a "Tornado Watch". When A tornado is spotted or a rotation is seen on the radar: a Tornado warning is issued. This last storm, I noticed the weather forecasters issued what they called a "Confirmed Tornado Warning" Where they could actually see debris appearing on Radar.

Warning systems:
Tv and Radio will broadcast the warning when they receive it (but people have to have them on). Tornado sirens are common in Rural Areas (Smallville). these sirens are often installed on top of high structures in town (Water towers, High schools, or high poles at the fire station). When a warning is issued, the sirens will sound and will run until the warning has expired. You can hear these sirens, indoors, over a mile away. Modern technology for warning systems are weather radios: Special radios that will broadcast a warning as it happens (The downside: they can be expensive, they are a pain in the rear to program, and will only work for the programmed area). Cell phones will also notify alerts for the users' area, but again they have to be on.

Actions to take during a Tornado:
Get on the lowest level of the home. (basement or storm cellar are best). Go to the most interior room of the home, away from windows. Take Pillows or Blankets to cover your head and be low to the floor. If you have a heavy workbench or table in the area: Get under it. Do not leave the safe zone until you either get an all-clear or it becomes unsafe for you to stay.

Rescue response:
Obviously, the first priority is to get medical help to the injured and locate anyone missing. Then, shelters are usually arranged quickly using undamaged churches, schools, and community buildings. Food is arranged by local restaurants and community volunteers (Some people will drive around with food they prepared to serve to those trying to clean up). People from the community will often come out in droves to help in the cleanup (at least where I live). Areas that have been checked and cleared of victims will often have an "X" marking the spot to alert other first responders that it has been cleared already.

If putting it in L&C timeline (90s), communication could be haphazard at best due to power and phone lines being damaged.

(I'm sure I'm missing something. But I feel this post is long enough. Sorry for the rambling on about tornados; as this is something I have experienced many times and have seen it's impact on my community.

Not all those who wander are lost.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hurricanes can cause widespread damage, especially if the area hit isn't prone to them. One example is Hurricane Agnes in Pennsylvania in either 1972 or 1973. It occurred the week after the ground had been saturated from a storm that came from the West. Agnes did loops, going out to the Atlantic Ocean, then circling inland over Eastern and Central Pennsylvania. It was a 500-year flood in Pennsylvania, causing flooding in such diverse areas as the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre area, Harrisburg, and State College. Flooding rivers were the issue in the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre area and Harrisburg. The Susquehanna River along Front Street in Harrisburg had muddy water up to the second level of historic homes and buildings. In State College, parts of which are built on limestone caverns, it was underground water that filled them. (No rivers in State College) Damage occurred to basement foundations (water rising inside the concrete blocks of the walls leading to crumbling) and pot holes. Like a two-foot-wide pot hole that is eight-feet deep. Iron bridges, some historic, became twisted metal, pulled off the stream and river banks. Normally quiet streams became raging rivers that overflowed their banks. Roads can be not only flooded but also torn up by water.

Also, while the weather service often gets the hurricane paths pretty close, they can't always predict where it will stall, or even where it will make landfall. People can be stranded if they aren't warned ahead of time, even those familiar with hurricanes. Like last year's Category 5 that hit the West Coast of Florida, then crossed across the state. Even a storm that is a tropical storm just below the level of a hurricane can cause extensive wind and water damage if it batters the area for several days.

Superman could help with rescues and getting supplies into affected areas. And also finding hidden dangers, like underground flooding or buildings that are at risk for collapse by using his Xray vision. He could use superspeed to put up temporary shelters for any kind of disaster. It might be possible for him to reduce the intensity or even divert the path of a storm, although I can't explain how that might happen realistically.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard