Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Okay, readers, now it’s your chance to pitch us your favorite stories! What did you read this year that blew your socks off? Tell us the stories that made you laugh and made you cry. Was there a kiss that melted your heart? A revelation that shocked you? A story that kept you up all night reading or had you refreshing the boards frantically hoping for a new chapter? A story you’ve read over and over again already?

This discussion thread is the place to chime in with your recommendations or second someone else’s. Feel free to reply to comments in this thread and post as much as you want. We want to hear everything you loved this year!

Note: Please keep recommendations free of any major spoilers! We want to encourage those who haven’t read these stories yet to read them, not spoil the big moments for them!

Additional Note: While adding links would be awesome and ideal, it’s not required! In fact, if you’d like, I (Sara) am happy to add the links in for people if they want. Just let me know with a “please add links” to the end of your post. smile

Have a question? Ask it here! Or you can PM any of the K-Com members or reach out on Discord too! You can also send an email to us here: Kcom@kerthawards.com

The Kerth Committee
(Sara, Michael, Annie, and lovetvfan)

Other 2023 Kerth posts…
Kerth Announcement Post / Index
Eligible stories list
Official Kickoff Post (Schedule and Categories)
Eligible Fanart and Opt-In Opportunity
Take the Poll: Ceremony Dates and Times
Official Nominees for 2023
2023 Ceremony Information — Where and How
The Winners! That’s a Wrap!

Activities
25th Annual Kerth Awards 2023: Activity—Writer’s Year in Review
25th Annual Kerth Awards 2023: Activity—Reader’s Year in Review
25th Annual Kerth Awards 2023: Activity—Kerth Challenges

Last edited by KSaraSara; 04/30/23 08:31 PM.

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
I’ll get things rolling with something that made me laugh!!

Kryptonite Coffee by Toomi
4 kB (697 words)
Story

…and I was going to make this post longer, but the kid woke up!

Sara smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
So, when I was looking through the eligibles list, trying to think of which stories gave me which feelings, I realize there are a quite a few that I just love because they FIXED IT… stories that aim to fix or explain something in canon that just irked me? Gahh! They’re so satisfying! So here are a few of them that really hit the spot!

Ever wonder why Clark just seems more or less okay after escaping the cage? Just weak? And whatever happened to the cage anyway?? Well, Toomi fixes it for us in a well-written and believable way! Worth the read! (Plus, her Henderson here is pretty awesome!)

Aftershocks by Toomi8
304 kB (55,267 words)
Story
Summary: Set during 'House of Luthor,' beginning as the wedding is stopped/interrupted, and Clark escapes the Kryptonite cage, this story takes a different turn.

A funny disaster in Lois’ kitchen… I mean… how did she ever get that whole Christmas dinner cooked?? lol
Holiday Baking by Carrie Rene
6 kB (1,081 words)
Story
Summary: Lois’ attempt at baking during Season’s Greedings. Ever wonder how Lois was going to make everything for dinner? With one little oven, how did she get everything done in time?

AHHH! Bakasi’s “Inside Out” fics… I just LOVE these because they at least explain WHY things went the way they went in canon! These both explain what’s going on with Lois (Fury’s Mind) and Clark (Deranged Mind) during that LUNKHEADED move to propose to her without telling her his secret first!
Inside A Fury's Mind by bakasi
23 kB (3,951 words)
Story

Inside a Deranged Mind by bakasi
10 kB (1,633 words)
Story

Every time I watch the “this isn’t dancing” dancing on air scene… I get SO MAD at Clark for continuing to shoot himself in the foot so late in the game by encouraging her as Superman. And in this episode?? THE FADE TO BLACK?? He sucks the window closed with his super breath! What are we supposed to read from that?? Huh?? Man, this scene pisses me off! lol Okay, well, SuperBek to the rescue on this one. SO satisfying!

Kiss Me by SuperBek
8 kB (1,337 words)
Story
Summary: A short revelation story in which Lois doesn’t quite react as expected to Superman’s confession.

Ahh, Toomi strikes again! This time we get to have Lois tell Superman what she thinks of him not responding when Stokes says Lois is Superman’s “girl.”

Not Your Girl by Toomi8
12 kB (1,994 words)
Story
Summary: Set after season 2's 'Wall of Sound.' In the episode, Stokes makes the comment that Lois is Superman's 'girl.' Here's one way that ended...

Sara smile

Columnist
Columnist
I enjoyed many fics this year. I was never a big AU fan, but this year I really enjoyed the AU's.

Anchor: Part 1 - Clark Kent by SuperBek
604 kB (114,782 words)
Story
Summary: A tragedy in another universe threatens all life on that universe’s Earth. Can Clark Kent AKA Superman save the world and set things back on the right path while finding a place for himself at the same time? An alternate universe story. Part 1 of 3.

The reason I enjoyed this is AU's with AltClark have been done before, but not like this. Suddenly instead of one AltClark there are two.

Federal Disaster by lovetvfan
497 kB (92,876 words)
Story
Summary: Lois and Clark are about to get married. Things have never been better. Except for one thing...Lois is terrified. All of her past intimate relationships have been, well...Federal Disasters. Before she can voice her fears to Clark, not one, but two of her past disasters come back to haunt her in ways she never could have expected. Throw in a threat against the President of the United States and it's just a typical day for Lois and Clark.

Enjoyed very much with the story being all about Lois and the men in her life.

I read a lot of long ones this year and those are what stuck to me. The short fics were great, but it's those long ones that I read for a few days and remember.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I can't remember a fic that sucked me in as Annie M's and Kathy B's What the Heart Wants Part 1 and Part 2

They were so amazing and full of sweet reader's torture. Every day I'd sit down to devour another part and just couldn't get enough.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Columnist
Columnist
Originally Posted by bakasi
I can't remember a fic that sucked me in as Annie M's and Kathy B's What the Heart Wants Part 1 and Part 2

They were so amazing and full of sweet reader's torture. Every day I'd sit down to devour another part and just couldn't get enough.

I totally agree, bakasi. I loved this one too. It's these long ones that pull me in and keep me reading.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Originally Posted by bakasi

I agree with bakasi and CarrieRene. I love them too. I’ve read both parts so many times that I’ve lost count. I can’t wait for the third story!

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
I was just going to pop in with a list of “short ones that made me laugh” and then I kept wanting to add more short ones to the list for other reasons. And now, since there are many more on my list, I’m just going to group them and give you a one-liner why you should read the whole group of them. lol

Short ones that made me laugh or giggle or smile (and sometimes all of the above):

Astrologically Challenged by Anna B the Greek
2 kB (362 words)
Story

Conned by SuperBek
3 kB (466 words)
Story
Summary: Clark can’t ever refuse Lois, even if it means...

The Interviewee by Toomi
1 kB (34 words)
Story

Kiss Me by SuperBek (yeah, yeah…I already said this one, but it belongs in this group)
8 kB (1,337 words)
Story
Summary: A short revelation story in which Lois doesn’t quite react as expected to Superman’s confession.

Kryptonite Coffee by Toomi (this one too goofy)
4 kB (697 words)
Story

Lost in Paradise by Queen of the Capes
3 kB (424 words)
Story

The New Adventures of Zooperman by SuperBek
7 kB (1,112 words)
Story
Summary: Lois and Clark spend an afternoon at the Metropolis Zoo.

Wish Upon A Perseid by Toomi
6 kB (989 words)
Story

Here’s a group of short ones (some super short and others a bit longer) that hit me in the FEELS, be it hopeful, sad, wistful, and/or WAFFs!

Playing Pretend by KSaraSara (eep…is it bad form to recommend my own? I really love this little moment, though it didn’t make my *long* fav list in the author post)
6 kB (965 words)
Story
Summary: Clark witnesses a sweet moment between Lois and their daughter.

Ficathon: Repair Job (for Toomi) by Queen of the Capes
10 kB (1,541 words)
Story

Tidings of Cookies and Joy by AnnieM
14 kB (2,408 words)
Story

Pencil It In by SuperBek
15 kB (2,600 words)
Story
Summary: Clark gets Lois a gift, but the gift has some unexpected consequences.

Whisper of Hope by SuperBek
6 kB (1,038 words)
Story
Summary: After a rough day at school, Clark Kent overhears a conversation between his parents.

Wish Heard From Afar by SuperBek
6 kB (1,053 words)
Story
Summary: In this companion story to Wish Upon A Star, Clark returns from New Krypton on Christmas morning to find an unexpected and precious gift.

Wish Straight From the Heart by SuperBek
5 kB (881 words)
Story
Summary: In this companion story to Wish Upon A Star and Wish Heard From Afar, young Jon Kent learns that his Christmas Eve wishes might have had more power than he’d imagined.

Wish Upon A Star by SuperBek
7 kB (1,163 words)
Story
Summary: Lois and her son Jon make their annual Christmas wish. Will they finally receive the Christmas miracle they’ve been hoping for?

Worth Remembering by Queen of the Capes
17 kB (2,628 words)
Story

Happy (and maybe a bit sad and wistful) reading!

Sara smile

Columnist
Columnist
Some of the stories I enjoyed this year:

Super Bek - Anchor: Part 1 - Clark Kent
I am NOT an alt-Universe fan usually, but this version of the characters was just too unique and this story too different to pass up. It's heartbreaking and sad and uplifting and beautiful!

Super Bek - Whisper of Hope
This is just SUCH a well written story! I re-read it a few times.

Carrie Rene -
Shake Your Love | Shake Your Love (nFanfic)

I am biased as this was my fic-a-thon gift but it was sweet and steamy and I am still hoping for that sequel!

AnnieM and KathyB -
What the Heart Wants Part 1: Written in the Stars

What the Heart Wants Part 2: The Magic of Love | What the Heart Wants Part 2: The Magic of Love (nFanfic)
Another Alt-Universe story that I actually enjoy. A 'what if Clark never came to Metropolis but they still met' plotline. Very sweet and waffy.

Toomi - Kryptonite Coffee
This one was funny and really enjoyable!

Toomi - Wish Upon A Perseid
Loved this one as well!

KSaraSara - Intoxicated (nfic only)
Quite possibly the steamiest PML story ever! You'll need a fan for this one if you read it

KSaraSara -
Yours to Discover | Yours to Discover (nFanfic)

"The Canadian one" LOL. I am biased as I helped to supply many of the Canadianisms. But this is is such a sweet story and features one of my favourite 'first dates' ever.

KSaraSara -
So Far Away | So Far Away (nFanfic)

I don't know if this is allowed because I wrote two of the chapters (I think) but this story is SO SO SO good. It's so emotional and beautiful and quite possibly the best NK based story I have ever read.

Bakasi - Beyond Closed Doors
-The angst! This is such a perfectly angsty story! I absolutely LOVED this one. So gorgeous.

Last edited by KSaraSara; 02/17/23 02:19 AM. Reason: Added links per user request

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard