Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Anchor: Part I -- Clark Kent (31-33)

This was a long part! Thanks for sticking with it!

Comments?

hyper

-Bek

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow. Luthor is definitely up to something.....

I'm really happy with Clark's progress though, all things considered. And his interactions with AltClark have been so intense and deep, such good writing.

I really hope Jonathan discovers that the Clark is distrusts and is being utterly unfair to is saving his son in more ways than one.....

I'm glad they're doing the book too. I think that might actually help Clark in healing, even if it'll be rough.

Can't wait for more.

Last edited by Blueowl; 12/01/22 09:35 PM.
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Yikes? Yes, definitely Yikes.

I truly did not see them retrieving Clark2 alive from the sun. That might be the biggest L&C monkey wrench ever. He has one of the worst cases of PTSD I've ever read about, and if it's hurting him that badly, it's killing Lois. Not to mention that it's liable to drive altClark totally nuts. Going through combat second-hand has to be almost as traumatic as the actual experience. Shucks, all three of them will need therapy before the end.

You're putting Lois in a vise. She's torn between these two men - her Clark, who is severely damaged and fragile as ancient glass, and altClark, who loves her and firmly believes that he can't have her because it would be wrong on so very many levels. That vise is going to get tighter by the minute until there is either a resolution or she cracks.

Luthor has green K. You aren't giving these folks a moment to recover, are you? That's okay - it's more fun to read that way.

So altClark is going to write the memoir? Oh, that won't add to the collective trauma at all. He'll just dash it off in an hour or two. [Linked Image]

I can't wait to see what happens next. It's going to be good.

I want to say again that I love the first-person present-tense presentation. It's very difficult to pull off, but you're handling it like a pro. Do you, by any chance, write romance novels under a pen name that are for sale online? I would not be surprised.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Blueowl
Wow. Luthor is definitely up to something.....

I'm really happy with Clark's progress though, all things considered. And his interactions with AltClark have been so intense and deep, such good writing.

Luthor is pretty much the incarnation of evil, in any universe!

Thank you for the compliments on the writing! It was something different that I'd not done before, and I turned it into a bit more than just telepathy. It's been a fun experiment. smile1

I really hope Jonathan discovers that the Clark is distrusts and is being utterly unfair to is saving his son in more ways than one.....

Agreed. We'll have to wait and see!

I'm glad they're doing the book too. I think that might actually help Clark in healing, even if it'll be rough.

Can't wait for more.

Thank you for reading! hyper

-Bek

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Yikes? Yes, definitely Yikes.

I truly did not see them retrieving Clark2 alive from the sun. That might be the biggest L&C monkey wrench ever.

GAH! I don't think anyone knew it was coming since AltClark didn't know until that moment (thank you first-person, present-tense narrative!).

I'm surprised, however, that I managed to throw in that big of a twist without anyone suspecting it was coming! Is that a good thing, or...? lol

He has one of the worst cases of PTSD I've ever read about, and if it's hurting him that badly, it's killing Lois. Not to mention that it's liable to drive altClark totally nuts. Going through combat second-hand has to be almost as traumatic as the actual experience. Shucks, all three of them will need therapy before the end.

Super-resilience is another of altClark's superpowers? I think now that he knows what is happening, he can more easily detach himself from it. It is traumatizing, for sure, but he knows it's not him in the visions, and he knows he didn't experience the events first hand.

They all should probably go to therapy, though, you're right about that!

I think the trauma of Clark's experiences was heightened because of the condensed nature of the fighting he had to engage in, the stress of him trying (unsuccessfully) to remain true to his identity and beliefs (Superman does not kill), and his death. And then almost injuring Lois when he woke up out of that dream... That certainly didn't help. mecry

I hope you'll stick it out long enough to read Anchor Part 2, which written is from Clark's POV. There's a lot more to it than we get to see from altClark's POV.

You're putting Lois in a vise. She's torn between these two men - her Clark, who is severely damaged and fragile as ancient glass, and altClark, who loves her and firmly believes that he can't have her because it would be wrong on so very many levels. That vise is going to get tighter by the minute until there is either a resolution or she cracks.

It is quite difficult for her, since she'd developed such a great friendship with altClark.

Luthor has green K. You aren't giving these folks a moment to recover, are you? That's okay - it's more fun to read that way.

No resting! More trauma! Ah, my poor characters. You're right though, they deserve a break.

So altClark is going to write the memoir? Oh, that won't add to the collective trauma at all. He'll just dash it off in an hour or two. [Linked Image]

I can't wait to see what happens next. It's going to be good.

Thank you for sticking it out so far!! We're getting near the end. Finally!

I want to say again that I love the first-person present-tense presentation. It's very difficult to pull off, but you're handling it like a pro. Do you, by any chance, write romance novels under a pen name that are for sale online? I would not be surprised.

lol blush No sir, I don't have anything published anywhere else, except my dissertation -- which is about as far from a romance novel as one could get!

However, thank you very much for the compliments on the writing. I'd written one other story before (which I haven't yet shared) in first-person, but past tense. When I started writing this one (admittedly with only a vague idea of what I actually wanted to happen), the first couple chapters wrote themselves in first-person present tense. And then it continued to guide the story.

It's also why I now have a fully written part 2 from Clark's POV and a partly written part 3 from Lois's POV... I needed (for myself at least) to explore the other events happening around AltClark and...well, we'll see!

Thank you very much for the thoughtful feedback! This is actually the best part of sharing my writing -- seeing others so engaged in something that I'd put so much effort into. I truly appreciate it!!

-Bek

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
URgh, I am going to be so late for work, but this short comment had to be written!

I shake my head again to clear my thoughts as I push through the door from the stairwell. Yep, I need this distraction. I wave to Jimmy as he sees me from his desk across the room and greet another of my colleagues as I head down the ramp to my desk.

Despite all the craziness, Alt-Clark is really settling into this world and he has no intention of returning to his old life which is great! Somehow it seems like the inhabitants of that world really did not deserve him or Superman. That being said, with Kal-EL back how on Earth is he going to make a new existence for himself if the old Clark goes back to work at the Daily Planet? Another thing, don't give all of that money to charity Lois. It will be needed to help Kal-El's therapy bills which he is going to need desperately. Panic attacks are nothing to play with and he did dealing with tremendous emotional pain.

Oh so happy Luthor is getting into the mix! dance

Writing is great! Looking forward to reading the next part.

Last edited by Morgana; 01/23/23 10:57 AM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard