OP Offline
Columnist
A
Relationship status: It's Complicated wink eek

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Loved this chapter. So Lois is still very attracted to Clark and they still have an intimate relationship of sorts. Complicated indeed. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
*deep breath* Here we go...

“Hey,” Clark’s voice came from the office doorway, warm and friendly.

I just melt whenever he does this... *wistful sigh*

I can’t wait to hear what you think of it.”

“Thanks,” he said, smiling at her. “I’ll start it tonight.”

Just... *sigh* Their conversation is so normal, yet so not. I mean...the plumbing thing, so many little clues and emotions just flowing under the surface (or not flowing? Since it’s clogged? lol don’t mind me...). And this... they’re still friends and friendly and... gah!

She saw his eyes dart quickly around the room, double checking for the kids, then he lowered his glasses and stared at the pipes.

Omg I love that... and how dumb am I that forgot he could totally “take a look at it” with his vision? Ouf! That’s how distractingly good your dialogue is...I forgot he was Superman for a minute. lol

rolling up his sleeves. Her eyes lingered on his forearms, and she dragged her attention back to his face.

She leaned against the counter, watching his white dress shirt pull taut across his shoulders and upper back as he worked.

Right??? Right there with you, Lois!! drool

She realized suddenly that he was saying her name and felt her cheeks warm. “What?”

“Where did you go?” he teased. “I said your name three times.

Yes!!!!!

“I wish you would call me for stuff like this. I could have fixed this days ago. It’s no trouble.”

Awwwwwwww

she tried to stifle her abrupt inhalation and calm her suddenly racing heart. He raised an eyebrow and smirked, and she cursed his ability to read her body so well.

Yeah... that’s totally not fair! <g>

She raised her hands to his chest, intending to shove him away playfully and roll her eyes at him, making a joke of her reaction to him. But he captured her wrists, and held her there gently, and her hands lingered on his chest instead.

“Lois,” he said softly.

Ohhh! I think my heart fell to my stomach here. Not sure how to describe the sensation, but OH, the feels!

“I should get you that book,” she said abruptly, stepping back. And he dropped her wrists and nodded.

Awww, dangit! But I don’t blame you, Lois. <3

officially reclassified as a recovery mission

Oh no, poor Clark!! (I mean... poor dead people, too... but... yeah...)

He had finally left an hour ago, and she hadn’t been able to stop worrying about him. She hoped he had gone to his mother, or that he was home, passed out and not still up castigating himself for arriving too late or not being able to save everyone. She had contemplated calling him, but didn’t want to risk waking him if he was finally asleep.

Of course she still worries about him. mecry

She had just forced her attention back to the papers when she felt the thump more than heard it. The corners of her mouth twitched up, but she stayed otherwise motionless, propped up against the headboard of her king size bed. She was wearing a tank top and sleep shorts, comforter covering her legs, a thick stack of papers in her lap. She peeked over the top rim of her reading glasses and watched the sheer curtains that hung in front of the french doors flutter in the breeze. She pretended to read for another minute before saying softly, “I know you’re there. You might as well come in.”

So, before my actual comment...I just wanted to say sorry not sorry for quoting darn near the whole thing? Just ask tvnerdgirl what the google doc looks like on our fic... like, blocks of yellow because she’s so good with the feels and all the things that I can’t help but comment. So, that’s also what’s happening here. I’m in deep with my L&C re-addiction. *cough* Anyway...

I love, love, love this whole paragraph! Love that she pretends to ignore the thump, that she fights a smile, that she’s peeking over, and that she pretends to read before, of course, saying what she says. *sigh* <3

The curtains parted and he stepped through, freshly showered in a clean suit and cape. Her traitorous heart squeezed.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly. “I didn’t mean to lurk. I saw your light on. I… But then I thought…”

He sounded so conflicted, so unsure of himself. She took off her reading glasses and placed them gently on the stack of papers sitting in her lap.

“Was it bad?” she asked softly, picking up the remote and clicking off the television.

He swallowed audibly and took a ragged breath. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out.

Yeah, I should just quote the whole thing. (better yet... you really should just give me access to the full file and let me have at it with comment bubbles instead... laugh clap grovel )

He was across the room in four strides, perching on the side of the bed, her hand resting on his arm. Their eyes locked and held. She knew exactly what he needed without him saying a word.

She nodded almost imperceptibly, and his lips were on hers. She gasped and he immediately deepened the kiss. Yes. Yes. Yes. Her thoughts were incoherent except that one word echoing incessantly.

Oh. Holy. ... I thought he needed a hug. LOL Hot damn, was I wrong, and I am SO happy to be wrong!! Love, love, love the first paragraph—the 4 strides and her knowing without him saying a word.

And then... oh. Wow.

This was her Clark. Only hers.

GAH!!

There were so many things they got wrong in their relationship, but this...this they had always gotten right. Not just the mechanics, but the emotions too. She never felt happier, more loved and cherished, more whole than when she was in his arms.

OH. WOW. The whole part, really is just...can we get a fire emoji up in here??? cat

So yeah, the hole part. Fire. And then this... oh, makes my heart so happy. SO HAPPY. And then also the unspoken I love you... and that this has happened before, but not often... just on the real bad rescues, because of course! I love it all.

Her heart ached as she rolled to face his side of the bed. It would always be his side, she realized bittersweetly,

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww mecry

“You are magic. -C”

I stopped myself from quoting the whole thing, but GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Clark’s self-satisfied rumble of laughter as she clung to him panting, “How did you- What did you- You’re like...magic.”

OOOOH. Fire... or should we say magic? :LOL:

Last night changed nothing and life went on.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! whinging

I mean... I know we have a lot more to go. And if making love fixed things... they wouldn’t be broken. GAH.

Well, I must say that I was a little hesitant to read this part for fear of my heart being crushed a little more, but I was pleasantly surprised! So, of course, now I’m really worried about part 4...

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I think I hate you.
WHY. WHY do they have all this chemistry and emotions and yet nothing changes!!!!!! AGH!!!!
Something needs to be done!!! You can't leave them like that for 22 more chapters, I swear!!

(I'm sorry, I guess this hits a little too close to home and I have a lot of feelings.)

Will be looking forward to more!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Nooo! Don’t leave us hanging there!!!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow. I'm kind of with Anna - except I don't hate you, I almost envy you and your ability to lift up my heart and then tear it out again.

I don't know if you meant this, but the clogged pipe might be a metaphor for their relationship. It's clogged up, not flowing smoothly - all they need is for Lois to ask for help and accept Clark's assistance in breaking up the blockage. Naw - can't be that easy.

Last night changed nothing and life went on.

Yahhh! Lois, how can you be so willingly cruel?! You're going to tell your kids - because you are, after all, a responsible parent - that there is no such thing as casual sex! when they're old enough to date. This level of intimacy always - always - produces an emotional reaction. In this case, it's going to affect Clark more than Lois wants to admit it affects her.

And this isn't the first time they've "slipped" since the divorce. How long has it been, anyway? You gave us an indefinite timeline that involves years, but I guess I'm a stickler for exact time frames, and I don't understand why Clark is being so attentive to Lois. I understand that he's polite and courteous to her, especially around the kids, and I get why he'd be happy to fix the clogged pipe, again so the kids wouldn't be inconvenienced, but he's unless he expects last night to change something, all he's done is let himself in for a spear to the heart.

"Complicated" doesn't begin to cover this situation. You haven't mentioned that there might be another woman friend in Clark's life or another man friend in Lois' life, but surely someone sees either one as a potential romantic partner. Neither one is a hermit, after all, and people need to be around other people. Some men shy away from a divorced woman with children, but not all.

Ah! Maybe that's another complication you haven't mentioned yet. I can see it now: a beautiful youngish woman whom Lois doesn't know braces her at her home, her office, or on the street and warns her to stay away from her ex-husband because as long as Lois has her claws in Clark's heart this second woman has no shot at him. Wouldn't that be an interesting complication!

And this:

“God, Lois. I -” he bit off the end of that sentence just in time, careful not to break their unspoken rule about these nights. No promises you can’t keep. No declarations of love.

I guess this isn't a one-time thing. And I guess Lois is being deliberately cruel to Clark. That's how I'd feel if my ex-wife (we're still crazy after all these 45 years) divorced me and tantalized me with occasional one-night stands and wouldn't let me tell her that I loved her.

I don't think Clark can take this for too much longer. No one has infinite patience. Something's got to give somewhere.

I want to know what happens next!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I’m dyyyyyyiiinnnngggg… this part is killing me. Because they are always so good together and yet, they have so much in the way right now. Ugh. You make me remember why I absolutely love these characters!

Love that they share books and talk about them, and that he still fixes things for her. Love that he’s still there for her in so many ways, even though they’ve hurt each other in the past. (We’ll get to *that* way here in a second, because oh. my. goodness. that. part.)

Speaking of which, I, like Lois, super enjoyed the descriptions of his arms and shoulders, because those are my favorite too, haha. (My teenage self could not get over the scenes where he rolled up the sleeves of his dress shirt. I mean.) I had a feeling that attraction just didn’t go away with the divorce paperwork, and I was totally waiting for the parts where it would make itself known.

However, I did not expect that ending! I kinda thought they might give into a few kisses, maybe something more, but I thought they would put a stop to it before things got out of hand because it would hurt too much to be intimate in that way, but not in every facet of their lives. That said, though… writing was fire, girl. For real. As a reader, I was glued to the page (er, screen).

Complicated is right - and I have a feeling it might get more complicated before they figure it out, lol. Excited for part 4!

Tracey

A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback. It truly makes my day to see people so invested in this story!

I'm going to try to quote and respond to a couple specific comments, but my message board skills are rusty, so let's hope this works!

Originally Posted by Anna B. the Greek
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I think I hate you.
WHY. WHY do they have all this chemistry and emotions and yet nothing changes!!!!!! AGH!!!!
Something needs to be done!!! You can't leave them like that for 22 more chapters, I swear!!.

I promise I won't leave them like this for another 22 chapters. I've never been an angst for the sake of angst writer. Keep reading and it won't be so torturous soon. wink

Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
I guess this isn't a one-time thing. And I guess Lois is being deliberately cruel to Clark. That's how I'd feel if my ex-wife (we're still crazy after all these 45 years) divorced me and tantalized me with occasional one-night stands and wouldn't let me tell her that I loved her.

I don't think Clark can take this for too much longer. No one has infinite patience. Something's got to give somewhere.

I don't think she's being deliberately cruel. I think she's hurting herself as much as she's hurting him. Hopefully that becomes more obvious as time goes on. But I absolutely agree that Clark can't take this much longer. Things are about to come to a head!

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
“Well, that is as disgusting as I was imagining,” Lois muttered, and Clark laughed, wiping his hands on the towel.

He lined the pipes back up and screwed the fasteners back on, and Lois let her gaze slide up his arms and back to his shoulders again.

She realized suddenly that he was saying her name and felt her cheeks warm. “What?”

“Where did you go?” he teased. “I said your name three times. Turn on the water, so I can make sure this is working.”

Where did she go indeed! wink

There were so many things they got wrong in their relationship, but this...this they had always gotten right. Not just the mechanics, but the emotions too. She never felt happier, more loved and cherished, more whole than when she was in his arms.

Sigh...
Come on people! Will somebody please step up and say the scary words? Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, be they investigative reporter or Superman....

Complicated indeed.... help

Hmmm, maybe I should just let the week go by without reading any new parts until Friday. That way I get three parts to read in a row. This one part at a time ain't working for me! How can these two mature people who love each other stay apart? Lois cannot imagine that Clark is going to wait for her to figure it out? No one is THAT patient. What does Martha have to say about all of this?

Last edited by Morgana; 11/07/21 07:55 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard