OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Has this happened to you?

All feedback appreciated.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Yeah, I know that problem. But I've gotten better at listening to my characters, so it doesn't happen quite as often.

The last time I experienced this was with To Love and to Lose. Clark kept sitting in one corner, sulking. He just wouldn't talk to Lois. I couldn't write the story from his POV, however much I tried. Then Lois offered her services and the moment she figured out his secret he just had to listen. Problem solved.

Well done, Lynn

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes. Lately my brain has been fighting an uphill battle. Not fun...

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Yes!

Many times. And usually the solution (for me, anyway) is to ask the characters what happens next, much as Bakasi suggests. They nearly always perk up and offer a response, and if it's not workable they're generally willing to offer other suggestions.

I've ended up with many scenes on the cutting room floor because of length, out-of-character action, scene is good doesn't fit in the narrative flow, doesn't move the narrative forward, and frowning muses. I would be amazed if something like this did not happen to every writer on occasion. And judging from my sampling of writing books, it happens a lot.

Now if there were only some good books on how to handle recalcitrant muses...

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Bakasi, Morgana, and Terry, thank you for confirming for me that I'm not alone in my struggles with characters.

Bakasi, I have also gradually learned (and am still learning) to let my characters have a greater say in what they will do.

Morgana, I hope you and your characters can find a path that works for you all.

Terry, I asked my muse (Thalia) if she would help me write such a book. She just laughed in my face.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard