Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Lynn S. M. FDK: Writer's Block (1/1) - 10/22/21 12:01 PM
Has this happened to you?

All feedback appreciated.
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK: Writer's Block (1/1) - 10/25/21 10:35 AM
Yeah, I know that problem. But I've gotten better at listening to my characters, so it doesn't happen quite as often.

The last time I experienced this was with To Love and to Lose. Clark kept sitting in one corner, sulking. He just wouldn't talk to Lois. I couldn't write the story from his POV, however much I tried. Then Lois offered her services and the moment she figured out his secret he just had to listen. Problem solved.

Well done, Lynn
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Writer's Block (1/1) - 10/25/21 12:45 PM
Yes. Lately my brain has been fighting an uphill battle. Not fun...
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Writer's Block (1/1) - 10/25/21 07:26 PM
Yes!

Many times. And usually the solution (for me, anyway) is to ask the characters what happens next, much as Bakasi suggests. They nearly always perk up and offer a response, and if it's not workable they're generally willing to offer other suggestions.

I've ended up with many scenes on the cutting room floor because of length, out-of-character action, scene is good doesn't fit in the narrative flow, doesn't move the narrative forward, and frowning muses. I would be amazed if something like this did not happen to every writer on occasion. And judging from my sampling of writing books, it happens a lot.

Now if there were only some good books on how to handle recalcitrant muses...

Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Writer's Block (1/1) - 10/26/21 09:25 PM
Bakasi, Morgana, and Terry, thank you for confirming for me that I'm not alone in my struggles with characters.

Bakasi, I have also gradually learned (and am still learning) to let my characters have a greater say in what they will do.

Morgana, I hope you and your characters can find a path that works for you all.

Terry, I asked my muse (Thalia) if she would help me write such a book. She just laughed in my face.

Joy,
Lynn
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards