Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
cuidadora #289198 06/24/21 09:23 PM
Blueowl Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
Poor Clark! mecry Having pain trigger PTSD...harsh. Lois is right: he should talk to someone; though I get why Perry is reluctant to agree to that. (Potential sequel, though, if he does agree to see a shrink?)

The lowest level of Hell, according to Dante, is a frozen lake in which history's worst traitors are chewed alive by a giant, crying Satan. Should be a good start.
That's an interesting idea... (the sequel). It'll depend on the muse...
Ironic that the lake is frozen. And yeah, a start :P

Originally Posted by Songbird
Poor Clark! He’s been through the wringer. Hopefully once he has his powers and confidence back the flashbacks will lessen. Talking through his fears could be a good thing.

Yes, his screaming now makes sense. Healing like that had to be painful.

I really like Dr. Carson and Nurse Noel. They are good, caring people.

I feel for Martha and Jonathan. Being kept from their boy has to be painful for them. It’s good Perry is keeping them in the loop but I wouldn’t expect anything less. I’m sure there will be a lot of tears when they finally see their boy again and it probably won’t only be Martha’s tears.

I like that Clark got thanked for all that he’s done. I know he doesn’t expect it but it’s nice. Like Nurse Noel said, he doesn’t get paid and he makes a lot of sacrifices.

The lower level indeed!

Thanks for another wonderful chapter! I can’t wait for more!
Thanks, I really like writing Carson and Noel ^_^ As for Clark, the worst is over at least smile

Originally Posted by gr8shadesofElvis
Another great chapter! Full of touching moments and drama and absorbing detail. Well done.
I love Perry saying 'he's one of my boys now... whether he likes it or not'. And Barb's wise words. Awww.
I wonder what's in the package he's brought with him. A box of donuts? A brick of a cell phone to call the folks? Press pass, gaudy tie and glasses to escape unnoticed in?... Looking forward to the next installment. smile
Thanks laugh Perry is one of my favorite characters to write (although there are many ties). As for the package . . . you'll see smirk

Originally Posted by cuidadora
Well, at least Clark didn't need to have any additional medical or surgical intervention other than morphine and supportive care. Poor Clark, indeed! No wonder he had a flashback.

Perry is handling Lois well. She definitely needs to back off from offering advice. I doubt she'd understand why it might not be well-received, but Perry is in a good position to realize just how much she hurt Clark by ignoring his warnings and dismissing them as jealousy. I suspect he knows some of that, even if Clark never told him.

It's good that Perry is keeping Martha and Jonathan up-to-date. They must be beside themselves with worry. I still think the administrator and others were short-sighted regarding the timing of releasing information about this high-profile patient. Hopefully Henderson and the security team can protect Clark until he recovers his powers or leaves the hospital.

Looking forward to more and finding out what's in Perry's package.

I can definitely understand how the good guys feel about Luthor.
Yeah, Perry thankfully knows what he's doing. As for Henderson and security, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job so far....

Blueowl #289206 06/26/21 04:38 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Having pain trigger PTSD...harsh

It's a bit early for poor Clark to develop PTSD already.

This chapter was powerful and very well written. I love every bit of your story. I can't wait to read the next installment.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
bakasi #289215 06/26/21 08:32 PM
Blueowl Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Originally Posted by bakasi
Having pain trigger PTSD...harsh

It's a bit early for poor Clark to develop PTSD already.

This chapter was powerful and very well written. I love every bit of your story. I can't wait to read the next installment.
Not sure it's technically PTSD, as I think most anyone in that situation would have had a flashback confused, but either way, yeah, poor Clark sad. Anyway, glad you're liking it ^_^ Next bit, Diversion, is now up.

Blueowl #289216 06/26/21 08:42 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Nominated for the Best Line Ever:

"I will finish my recuperation at an undisclosed location, as I'm sure at least some of you saw that I can't fly yet. By the way, if anyone has a recording of that, I want a copy," he said seriously before cracking a smile.

Brilliant line. I don't know if you put it in for this reason, but that statement alone will do more for his public relations and more against any group threatening him than any simple press release.

I'm glad he's getting better. I hope this continues - with Lois beside him. He needs to tell her the truth now that he's getting well. And she'll still be mad - but also thankful that he's alive, so maybe it won't be too bad.

Hope not, anyway.

@Blueowl: People in Victorian England named what we now call PTSD as "railway spine" because so many people who'd been in railroad accidents - especially if the rails burst up through the car floor - exhibited the same symptoms. And it only took one occurance. I learned about that while I was researching PTSD for my story "Veterans of Foreign Wars" last year. It may depend on each country's definition - I know that Aspberger's Syndrome is no longer recognized by the American Medical Association as a distinct condition. Unfortunately, that doesn't help all the folks who endure it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Blueowl #289220 06/27/21 11:19 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay, he's almost better! I don't know how the authorities think they'll be able to move him to an undisclosed location, even if it's by helicopter. They'd need decoys everywhere to get him out undetected. Maybe it's time for the glasses to come out.
Sweet little moment with the boy and his mom.
Now I know there's no possible way you're be able to pull this all together in one more chapter so I second the sequel idea wholeheartedly. I'd love to see more interaction with Perry now he knows. And revisiting the hospital staff who looked after him so well when he's no longer a patient. Pretty please?

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Blueowl #289221 06/27/21 01:38 PM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Thanks for another great chapter! It’s wonderful seeing Clark almost back to normal. He’s been through a lot. Definitely a humbling experience.

I enjoyed the exchange between Superman, Joseph and his mom. It was very touching.

"I will finish my recuperation at an undisclosed location, as I'm sure at least some of you saw that I can't fly yet. By the way, if anyone has a recording of that, I want a copy," he said seriously before cracking a smile.

I agree with Terry about that being a brilliant line. It shows he has a sense of humor and makes him more relatable.

I’m curious where he’ll recover. Maybe his own apartment with his parents since his secret identity is still secret or maybe Smallville. I’m also wondering if he’ll tell Lois that he’s Superman. I can’t wait for the next chapter! I hope it’s coming soon! Thanks again!

Blueowl #289223 06/28/21 12:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well according to ICD-10 (International classification of diseases) I would call it adjustment disorder. The flashbacks certainly are a part of PTSD, but that usually develops after several months. (I just had advanced training on the subject)

But now to your story. It's good to see that Clark finally feels better. And he's trying to be super already. Way to go, Superman.

I, too feel that this story demands a sequel. I for one would be an avid reader.

Blueowl #289226 06/28/21 12:00 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I also loved that line of Superman's, with Clark showing his humanity and humor. The scene with Joseph and his mom was priceless and very touching. Glad to see Superman is recovering quickly and will be curious to see how your last chapter wraps things up, or not.

Also hoping for a sequel.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Blueowl #289234 06/29/21 09:47 PM
Blueowl Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Terry Leatherwood - Thanks, when I thought of how he might deal with failing to fly in front of people, I figured, why not poke fun at himself? :P As for Lois, she'll be coming in soon ^_^
As for the PTSD info, thanks. Considering how much medical definitions have changed over the years, it makes sense that PTSD continues to evolve as we gain a better understanding of the monster.

gr8shadesofElvis - The idea for a sequel does have merit.... I might be able to get around to it after I finish the new fic I'm working on (sleep walking challenge). I too wouldn't mind him visiting the hospital again smile

Songbird - Thanks ^_^ Whenever I can get a kid and/or everyday people in the fic, I try to. I always enjoy showing that somewhat rare dynamic. Next part is on its way.

bakasi - Adjustment disorder ... I wonder if that overlaps at all with some issues autistics have. I have brothers with it as well as two of my kids. Sometimes it just takes one incident and they'll continue to go back to that moment when something reminds them.
Anyway, yeah, you can't keep Superman down forever ^_^, and apparently the same goes for sequel bunnies.

cuidadora - Thanks ^_^. And another vote for a sequel? Well, I'll see what I can do, though it'll likely be a bit laugh.

On with the fic, final part is here: Resolution

Blueowl #289236 06/29/21 10:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Absolutely beautiful ending to this first story in your new series! ^_^ ... We are getting more, right?

~•~
Blueowl #289237 06/30/21 04:55 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This story has hit just the right spot for me. I'm having a bit of a struggle with life at the moment and it's been nice to have something to cheer me up every few days, so thanks for that. I'll look forward to whatever comes from you next. Happy (and speedy) writing! smile

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Blueowl #289241 06/30/21 06:54 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
What a lovely way to end this story! As far as I know, you found a unique way for Lois to react to Clark's secret. And his reaction to her reaction was so in character. I especially found the last section touching. Well done! Looking forward to your next story, whether or not it stands alone or is a sequel to this one or a previous story.

clap

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Blueowl #289242 06/30/21 07:16 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I very much enjoyed this story.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
Blueowl #289247 06/30/21 11:25 PM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I love this story! That was a beautiful and touching ending. Lois’s reaction to Clark’s revelation was perfect. Clark comforting her was sweet and I can see him doing that. He’s all heart. Thank you for making me smile!

Blueowl #289262 07/03/21 05:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was a joy reading this story. The last few paragraphs at the end were perfect.

Thanks Jessica.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Blueowl #289267 07/04/21 01:45 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I loved how this story ended, but I also want to vote for a sequel.

Blueowl #289268 07/04/21 02:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. The reconciliation between our favourite couple was were tender and touching. I sure hope that we get a sequel, or see more of your writing.

Blueowl #289311 07/08/21 07:40 PM
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
I liked the supporting characters you created and how they connected with Superman. It added an element that did more than just showing the two personas—Clark & Superman. The interactions, including what happened when he was transported via wheelchair to a sunny room in the hospital, actually served to humanize the alien more so than just knowing that he is Clark Kent. They also showed a definitive contrast between Superman’s goodness and the people who loved him, and Luthor’s evil and others who hated him.

While your story is complete as is, I believe it could be plumbed to a deeper level from several angles to become a richer, much longer tale!
Thanks for sharing!

Blueowl #289416 07/26/21 02:38 PM
R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Blueowl,
I read only completed stories due to being left high and dry too many times over the years. I'm pleased to see the many posts you've received and would like to add mine now that it is complete. I too found the resolution to that episode was not explored as well as could be but I suppose, given the one-hour (45 minutes with commercials) time limit, they did the best they could. Your story is what fanfic is for, to explore situations in-depth and present alternative solutions to the premises set up by the writers. I have not read all the comments that have been posted so I apologize if some of my comments are duplicates.

You've presented the medical information with great and thorough detail. If you are not a medical professional I congratulate you on your diligence regarding the injuries and their treatment. Your descriptions made me empathize with his injuries and the pain he suffered through. I think Clark's choice of Perry as his next of kin was perfect. Clark knows Perry to be a man of integrity and will do what is necessary while also watching out for Superman's best interests. Clark's idea to have Perry call the Kents and tell them Kal-El gave them permission to talk to him if the need arose fit as well. Perry figuring out the secret on his own worked too. Perry's pretty sharp and having spent so much time with Superman it made sense that he'd figure things out, especially as he is not burdened by the emotional entanglements Lois has. You portrayed the damage Luthor had done with startling reality. Those injuries and the reaction of those who treated Superman showed how evil your version of Luthor is. While it seemed that Luthor had more Kryptonite than was hinted at on the show the mention of having Kryptonite bullets worked because of what happened when Arianna shot Superman in another episode. I especially liked how Superman reacted to natural sunlight compared to the lights they had used. The pace of healing was magnitudes faster with natural sunlight as to be miraculous, but it may have harmed him to a point as his doctor mentioned when his ribs healed super fast, causing him intense pain that brought back memories of his torture at Luthor's hands. Of course, they couldn't know that would happen, and on reflection, did more good than harm otherwise Superman would not have been close to normal when the plot against his life was taking place. As I'm sure others have mentioned Superman's reaction to the outpouring of love and gratitude by people in the hospital was very touching. I found myself choking up along with Clark and his reaction was perfect.

On a side note, I wonder how long it took Perry to find the secret closet with the suits? He sure surprised Clark when he presented him with the Suit but I never expected less from Perry. I did wish you had shown where Superman went between leaving the hospital and returning to Clark's place. Of course, maybe Perry worked out with Henderson to allow Superman to recuperate at Clark's place. I wonder if Henderson might also know, or at least suspect, the truth. The ending scenes with Lois and Clark wrapped things up beautifully. Unlike that stupid solution of Clark taking back his declaration of love, he did what he should have done and confided his secret to Lois. By the end of the first season, Clark knew Lois was trustworthy despite her blindness with regard to Luthor she deserved to know, especially since she realized her true love was Clark. I guess I can see maintaining the sexual tension between them but I believe they could have done a better job of handling their love.

Thanks for writing this story and sharing it with us,
Ray

Blueowl #289417 07/26/21 02:43 PM
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Sorry for taking a while to comment!

I enjoyed your version of events. Your medical knowledge is impressive and detailed, which had me squirming a few times. The reveal in the last chapter was a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing your imagination with us.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard