Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#288386 02/24/21 01:00 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
It happened. I saw it. I love it! What do yall think?

I was so relieved they didn't make Jordan a villain. They had me worried with the scene of him beating up Superman in a Video game. In fact, there was a lot of bait-and-switch going on, and I like it. Of *course* the girl bonding with you isn't automatically your girlfriend now! Of course a guy can just be good at football without it meaning anything else!

I am really looking forward to more, and I'm also hoping to see some crossover fics here soon. smile

~•~
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
Agree. One issue with one thing, but it was fantastic. Epic when it needed to be, and family-clark when it needed to be.

Dark and light.

My issue is any kind of mental illness should be handled with care. I have a family member who killed herself and using suicide attempt as a bonding point did not sit well, since it wasn't handled well at all.

The rest was super.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I thoroughly enjoyed the pilot episode, and I loved all of the Easter eggs - including the one for Lois & Clark.

L, I am sorry about your family member; I can understand how this would be a difficult and sensitive subject for you.

The show has a lot of potential, and I am looking forward to seeing how future episodes play out.

- Lynn

R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
I too liked the Pilot episode, for the most part. I didn't see the Easter egg for L&C, it must have been subtle. I watched the "making of" show afterward and was kind of angry at them for saying that seeing Lois and Clark like this is a first for the characters on TV! They must have L&C blindness because L & C was all about the relationship and they would have had a family if they hadn't canceled the show. Also, I don't know why General Sam Lane is in on the secret when his own children were not. I, at least at this time, can't see any reason why he would trust Lois's father, a member of the military, with the secret. I hope they explain that in future episodes. I also agree with L, the whole taking mom's pills thing seemed like it was thrown in there to make her seem sympathetic but it just seemed creepy to me.
Ray

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Ray,

The L&C Easter Egg I found is in the spoiler...

The Easter egg was Superman saying, “My Mom made it for me,” which is verbatim what Superman replied in Lois & Clark when a young girl complimented him on his attire immediately after his debut rescue.

While I agree that L&C would have broken new ground with parenting if it had been given another season, it unfortunately did not have the opportunity to break that ground. Therefore, I agree with the article that S&L was the first venue outside the comics (or fanfic) in which we actually get to see our favourite couple parenting.

- Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 03/11/21 09:38 PM.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I liked it too. It's got potential.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
I was delighted with the pilot. While this Lois & Clark have appeared in Supergirl and featured in last year’s crossover event the show clearly starts 14 years after that event.

I enjoyed the L&C quote. I also was pleased that Sam knows C/S and it was made clear he knew before Lois married Clark.

I doubt Jonathan’s football skills are unrelated to powers. Lois made that point to Clark
[list]
[*] a freshman as starting quarterback
[*] varsity, notice not junior varsity
[*] highly competitive school, one of the most competitive in the nation

I think Jordan having powers might even explain some of his “issues”
I wonder which one will fly first.

Framework4
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely wasn’t what I was expecting and definitely has potential to be really good.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm, I am alone in saying that although the show has tremendous potential, yet it did not sit well with me and it is doubtful I will watch any further episodes. Dislike the way the showrunners have twisted things. Jordan's interaction with Lana's daughter seemed forced and poorly set up. Mental illness should be handled with greater sensitivity. The fight at the party stereotypical. Jordan was kissing his girlfriend? Really?
Yup, loved the L&C reference! Its a shame Martha will not be around.

Morgan Edge will bear watching. Captain Luthor?

It is a pity that L&C did not have the technology for special effects that this show has. Imagine how cool the Nightfall asteroid episode would have been!

Last edited by Morgana; 02/28/21 05:29 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally Posted by Morgana
Captain Luthor?

In the timeline they appear to be in Jon Cryer was Lex Luthor so I think this Luthor is from one of timelines that was destroyed during the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Originally Posted by Morgana
It is a pity that L&C did not have the technology for special effects that this show has. Imagine how cool the Nightfall asteroid episode would have been!

L&C had much better effects then those in the 1953 Adventures of Superman season 2 episode 12 Panic in the Sky.

Framework4
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
The CW has announced that Superman & Lois has been renewed for a second season. smile1

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I've really enjoyed this show so far. Really find the twist in canon that is General Sam Lane being in the know intriguing. It explains why he's not as out-right distrustful as Captain Luthor (or even comic book) General Lane. It does look like there's a bit of "golden childing" of Jonathan with Gen. Lane that I find both problematic and interesting in the same time. I loved the little moment Lois and Clark had near the end of the second episode after finding out that a majority of the world's kryptonite is in Lane's hands. Complex feelings and events at every turn and so fair I'm here for it. Kinda nervous about what happens with Jonathan and Jordan as Jor's powers begin to show up. Kinda also nervous about what their relationship dynamic ends up changing as Jonathan is pushed back in football terms.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
R
Ray Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
I just watched the third episode and it looks like Jordan is going to be the only one with powers now. IF there are any powers in play with Jon's football prowess it has to be very subtle. I am disappointed with the introduction of the next two evil characters. The guy who photographed Lois with that woman and who also kidnapped her has (had???) powers of some sort and then at the end there is the woman with heat vision who kills the guy and tells someone (Edge) to alert the "team". Does this mean there are a whole host of superpowered bad guys now? This being only the third episode I hope they are not going "stupid". By this, I mean introducing characters and situations that insult my intelligence. I started watching Smallville years ago and quit after season 2 I believe for this same reason. I hope Superman and Lois doesn't go that route. L&C's Lex Luthor didn't need that. He was evil but he was human. Maybe it's the way the CW does things or maybe I'm being intolerant.

Last edited by Ray; 03/11/21 04:03 PM. Reason: Added comments
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I like the way this show is subverting where I think it's going. Any other show in the past would have ended that 3rd episode with Jordan learning to "be himself" and leave the footballing to his brother; having Jonathan and Clark both supporting him in the end is so nice and refreshing! ^.^

I'm wondering if clones have already been attempted in this universe. Clearly, Superman has been around for a while.

~•~
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
I'm wondering if clones have already been attempted in this universe. Clearly, Superman has been around for a while.
Yes, sorta. In Supergirl, we had both a bizarro Version of SG (maybe can be compared with Vatman but more dumb, with "morrored" powers, like heat breath and freeze Vision etc.). And there was the "Red Daughter", a phenomenon where Kara is "split" in two different individuals, one remaining there and one somehow getting to Russia. Both died, in case of RD merged with Kara (though that has seemingly no consequences).
However, given that Superman and Lois doesn't seem to care about SG continuity and characterizations, it's hard to know.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
To add to what BlindPassenger said, we also don't know about clones in this universe because Crisis more-or-less gave the creators a free slate to change almost anything they want. As far as I know, we haven't seen any clones post-Crisis.

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Originally Posted by Ray
I just watched the third episode and it looks like Jordan is going to be the only one with powers now. IF there are any powers in play with Jon's football prowess it has to be very subtle. I am disappointed with the introduction of the next two evil characters. The guy who photographed Lois with that woman and who also kidnapped her has (had???) powers of some sort and then at the end there is the woman with heat vision who kills the guy and tells someone (Edge) to alert the "team". Does this mean there are a whole host of superpowered bad guys now? This being only the third episode I hope they are not going "stupid". By this, I mean introducing characters and situations that insult my intelligence. I started watching Smallville years ago and quit after season 2 I believe for this same reason. I hope Superman and Lois doesn't go that route. L&C's Lex Luthor didn't need that. He was evil but he was human. Maybe it's the way the CW does things or maybe I'm being intolerant.
Hey Ray,
Generally, it can be said that on the CW Shows, most of the antagonists in Shows featuring superpowerd heroes do have powers, too. So, Arrow and Batwoman fight humans, Flash metas, Supergirl Aliens etc. Human antagonists like Luthor (both versions) are more an exception than a normal Thing.
That can be anoying sometimes, especially now where we have them all on the same earth, but the potential here isn't used sometimes.
I can understand what you mean about Smallville, they had tons of superpowered People and 90% or so became crazy villains. Even ignoring the fact that it was never really explained why the kryptonite gave all the People different powers it makes no sense that everyone becomes a villain. To be fair, the later seasons of SV overcome that "Freak of the Week" Thing, and the variety of antagonists becomes broader. People said that watching the first and last seasons of SV is like watching two different Shows and I can admit to that. Wether this makes things better or worse everyone has to decife for themselves.
About the Heat-vision woman: Arrowverse Wiki credits her as "Leslie Larr" with the additional note that in the Comics there is a similarly named character who is a Kryptonian survivor. Given that Argo exists on Earth-Prime, too, it's possible that she's Kryptonian here, too, but I assume only time will tell. (I couldn't watch the episodes yet as they were not broadcasted yet here.)

Last edited by BlindPassenger; 03/12/21 12:05 PM.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
I've watched it and so far have been mostly pleasantly surprised. The series has promise. I just hope they don't mess it up. I suspect the Jonathan character will eventually get at least some powers. I'm not really fond of the Jordan character so far. Hopefully how they write that character will improve. Or perhaps part of the reason is the actor playing Jordan. I really haven't gotten into watching the various CW series. I never got around to watching Arrow. I stopped watching the Supergirl series i believe after season two or maybe a bit before the season end. I don't remember. . So i probably won't notice if there are any vague crossover mentions. By they way, are there any particular episodes in the later Supergirl seasons that are good and worth watching? Any Superman appearances in either Arrow or Supergirl? Are those series on one of the streaming services?

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by LauraBess
By they way, are there any particular episodes in the later Supergirl seasons that are good and worth watching? Any Superman appearances in either Arrow or Supergirl? Are those series on one of the streaming services?

They did an annual crossover event between all the series in the Arrowverse. The last one was the Crisis on Infinite Earths which leads into this series. There’s a list of the crossover episodes on the Arrowverse wiki website if you want to see the order they come. They do jump around between all the Arrowverse series so the webpage is the best place to start to find out the order in which you need to watch it.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 03/14/21 07:12 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Given that there's not a whole lot of original live-action Superman programming on right now, this isn't that bad. I don't understand the objection to having someone survive a suicide attempt. It means that the girl has serious issues, and maybe hanging with Jon and Jordan (and later, with Clark and Lois) will help her deal. I saw Jordan and Sarah bonding over the fact that they both have serious problems, not over her failed attempt to die. But that's just me, I guess.

I had a mother-in-law (she's now deceased) who was not in favor of me marrying her daughter. She tried for years to get my wife to "come to her senses" and go back "home" to her mom with the kids. So I think that General Sam Lane is the biggest villain I've seen on this show so far. He makes Captain Luthor (who at least has some justification for his actions) look like a grade-school crossing guard (a "lollipop man" to our friends across the pond).

I even like Lana, with all her insecurities and the strained relationship with her husband. I hope that their apparent reconciliation lasts and isn't just an artifact of a mild hangover. It appears that Morgan Edge has taken the traditional Lex Luthor role and run away with it.

And I'm with Ray - where are all these limited "supers" coming from, and who's building/creating/commanding them? The reason I quit watching Smallville was due to the "monster of the week" syndrome, the massive amounts of Kryptonite that fell in Smallville, and that anyone who learned what Clark could do (besides Chloe and Pete) died quickly and tragically. I also hope they don't go that route.

But I plan to watch it until they run me off. So far, overall, I like it. Mystery, uncertainty, hints of unknown powers and powered people, some serious intrigue with Edge, the boys dealing with being the Sons of Superman! It's a good mix, one which promises to be interesting as time goes by. We can only hope it stays interesting.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard