Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Now here's something almost completely different!

I'm like Ralph in that I suffer from AS. And not everyone has sympathy for me since it's not something I can point to and say, "See? That right there - that's my AS injury." I know I've never seen a telethon raising funds to fight it.

This came to me as I was thinking about something quite different and demanded to be written down. I think Trope had the biggest hand in this one. She was quite insistent, too.

Enjoy. Or not. But do think about it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Y'know what? I dig it. I'm wondering now how much of Ralph we actually saw in the show since he seems to get more fleshed out in fic, but at any rate, I like this take on him. And I'm glad that Perry was able to understand and try to work with him.

I read somewhere that being on the internet is like having AS since you're only seeing the text and not getting any clues from a person's tone or body language. Dunno how true that is.

Terry, thanks for sharing this.

~•~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
An excellent story. You've succeeded in doing something I would have thought impossible... You managed to make Ralph not only a sympathetic character, but also one with which I very much can relate. Although I have never been officially diagnosed with the condition formerly known as AS (It is no longer recognized in the current DSM), I have no doubt in my mind that I have it. I learned about it when I was researching ASD (autism spectrum disorder) because of my son. It was a huge relief to realize that all of my odd quirks and challenges were something more than me just being a freak.

Thank you for a story which many will undoubtedly find informative and which I found all-too-familiar.

- Lynn

p.s.,Queenie, my own experience is that interacting via the Internet* is often easier than interacting in person, for several reasons:
- I find it easier to discern people's intent online, since emoticons are much clearer to interpret than nonverbal cues (tone of voice, facial expressions, etc.)
- I can take the time necessary to digest what is being communicated. IRL, I need an extra second or two to conclude that someone is being sarcastic.
- I don't have to worry about interrupting. I have a very difficult time joining in a group conversation because I can't get my timing right. Either I chime in too soon and wind up angering people because I am interrupting, or else I try to wait for an appropriate pause, in which case someone else starts speaking before I get a chance to. So I usually wind up spending my time just standing there listening to other people speak and nodding my head politely. I find interacting with more than one person at a time to be extremely draining.

*Excluding Zoom, Skype, etc.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 03/07/21 12:20 PM. Reason: added post script to Queenie
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I. Am. Staggered.

Seriously.

You managed to give Ralph an angle I've never once in my life seen, or even considered. Bravo! For the first time, I've found myself sympathetic to the character. I'm glad he and Perry could work something out in the end. Thank you for giving me something to ponder about Ralph. And for sharing a piece of your own personal life in the process.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Thank you for sharing this personal story, Terry. I'd agree with the others that this is a very interesting take on Ralph. It certainly makes him less one dimensional.

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
- I don't have to worry about interrupting. I have a very difficult time joining in a group conversation because I can't get my timing right. Either I chime in too soon and wind up angering people because I am interrupting, or else I try to wait for an appropriate pause, in which case someone else starts speaking before I get a chance to. So I usually wind up spending my time just standing there listening to other people speak and nodding my head politely.

I wouldn't say that I have AS, but I can definitely relate to what you wrote, Lynn. In a group, I often find myself listening all the time and rarely saying a word. In my case, I'd say it's mostly because I'm shy. But I know how frustrating it is to never actually feel like a part of the group.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, Terry, I am in awe, amazed, and flabbergasted.

Not only did I feel sympathy for Ralph, I actually had tears in my eyes at the end of this story. Thank you so much for sharing your personal story and insight, and for giving depth and character to Ralph. You turned him from an annoying one-dimensional caricature into a three-dimensional person with real pain and reasons for his behavior. Something I thought impossible until I read this story.

Beautifully and tenderly done!!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
That was a very nice story, pretty heartwarming. I really like seeing the Daily Planet from the perspective of a more minor character.

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Hey Terry,
wow, what an amazing, thoughtfull Story!
Like the others said, your writing makes it possible to give Ralph a deepr personality and reasons for his behaviour I never would have considered. That's so fascinating. Plus sharing a personal Background always needs some Courage, too.
Thanks for this informative and interesting take on a character no one thought had deserved it.
PS I agree with Lynn and bakasi on the issue of talking in a Group with more People. I also often don't know when to speak, either I'm interupting someone or the Topic is over unless I come to say anyting. That can be quite frustrating, especially now in time of home-university learning. Plus, my inability so work with visual/Body communication doesn't help here. I'm also not a Party Person, my Hearing dificulties don't make that easier, too.. I often don't realize someone is talking to me and there are a lot of (acustical) misunderstanding and that's quite anoying for both parties.
So yes, comunication via Internet seems often easier.
And it's true that (willingly or not) People deal different with you wether they know your diaabilities or not. ctually see that a lot during my uni courses. Though it has to be said that, like everything in life, there are always two sided of the coin.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
T
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Thanks, Mary, you aspiring professional author you! Keep at it! I know you can do it! I want an autographed first edition of "Away With the Faeries!"

In my memory, Ralph appeared in only two episodes. The first when Clark left for New Krypton, and the second when Lois became editor in Perry's place. In the first ep he hit on Lois in a very sleazy way. In the second he tried to push a story based on rumor and innuendo and Lois killed the article. It just struck me that we - me included - use Ralph as a punching bag more than as an actual character, so I tried to come up with a reason for his actions. I appear to have found one.

Mary wrote:

I read somewhere that being on the internet is like having AS since you're only seeing the text and not getting any clues from a person's tone or body language. Dunno how true that is.

It's very true. I once sent a co-worker what I thought was a kidding email and she got angry. I apologized immediately, but I thought it sounded like the inter-office banter everyone hears. I still do. And no, there were no sexual overtones or hints in this message. She couldn't see my charming smile or laughing eyes or the chuckle in my voice, just my words in the email. No physical clues available. She misunderstood, but it really was my fault.

Like you, Lynn, I'm self-diagnosed, but the people who know me well tell me I'm right. Don't know if that's a compliment or an insult - maybe a complisult? I'm now considered a "high-functioning autistic." There are times I don't feel very high-functioning.

DC, thank you for the - I guess it's "intensity" - of your response. It seems I hit a few nerves with this little flight of fancy. I can remember times I was shut out of the social circle in elementary school and I never understood why. Now I do. Still stings a bit, though.

Bakasi, thanks for the response. Just because a person has one or two of these characteristics does NOT mean that person has AS (sorry - is a "high-functioning autistic"). And I don't advise using it as any kind of excuse for rude or thoughtless behavior. I know I can't get away with it. There are many musicians and writers with what used to be AS. I think that's part of the reason they can function as well as they do in that limited environment.

Cuidadora, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad the story "popped" the way I hoped it would.

Thank you, TaliaJoy. The DP isn't just Clark and Lois and Perry and Jimmy (and sometimes Cat). There are dozens of reporters, far too many to give them deep backstories in a one-hour weekly series. That's why we have fanfic.

Thank you, BP. I shared a small part of my story because I wanted it to ring true to other AS FoLCs. If I were to write about someone with an amputated limb, I'd have to do tons of research to figure out what challenges that person would face and how hard the recovery would be. I'd already done the research for this story - most of my life.

Thank you all so very much.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

I just returned home after a couple of months at my mother's house, so I was able to do a quick computer search of all of the scripts. Ralph appeared in the following episodes: "Stop the Presses," "Lord of the Flys," and "Twas the Night Before Mxymas." He was also mentioned by name (but did not appear) in "Shadow of a Doubt." That's it. When I had conducted a similar search while doing research for my story Sic Transit Ralph's Pagoda, it had really surprised me that he showed up so infrequently. He certainly made his presence known.

Terry, "Complisuit"? A useful portmanteau. Shake hands, fellow self-diagnosed HFA-ie. I'm sorry to hear that you sometimes don't feel very high functioning. Let me assure you, however, that you most definitely are. You can hold down a job. You can speak. I think it safe to assume that you can take care of your basic personal hygiene needs. These are all far beyond my son's capabilities. Two of the myriad of things my son has taught me over the years are not to take for granted any abilities, and always focus on the part of the glass that contains liquid.

I can remember times I was shut out of the social circle in elementary school and I never understood why.
That sounds all too familiar...

There are many musicians and writers with what used to be AS. I think that's part of the reason they can function as well as they do in that limited environment.
I would throw in computer programmers and teachers (both of which I have been). The former leans heavily on logic and requires somewhat less social interaction than many jobs (albeit more interaction than non-programmers might suspect). I especially enjoy teaching in part because conversations are largely scripted/predictable, and it is clear whose turn it is to speak. It is far easier to pass as neurotypical in such a controlled environment.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Terry wave

This was a great tale and very intriguing to give a different perspective to Ralph's behavior throughout the series. Very well handled and loved the way you handled Perry asking questions and having the candid conversation with Ralph about his concerns. Something I'm sure not many employers would feel comfortable doing, but Perry handled it very well in this tale.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
T
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Lynn, it's true that programmers (I are one - oops, syntax error, build failed - I am one) don't socialize as much as other professions, but we still have to deal with users and managers. So yeah, there's some social interaction.

I cannot recall the story, but someone wrote a vignette giving Ralph the last name of Spagoda because Ralph's Pagoda was named in "Honeymoon in Metropolis." Clark puts Lois and her dyspeptic tummy on the couch as she names the restaurant and says she shouldn't have ordered sushi from it.

Folc4, thanks for the kind words. I've often wished that someone had diagnosed my condition way back when, but we can't rewrite our own pasts, just our characters'. I've often wished for a boss who was that compassionate.

I'm glad this found an audience. Thank you all.

Top Banana
Top Banana
And Terry, as one programmer to another, you just revealed you're not currently programming in Perl, html or php. (None of those do builds.) No doing Unreal Blueprints either, (different error strings) Anything C based is still on the list of possibles. peep

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
@Terry: That was Classicalas "A New Hero". She asked the boards what his last Name was and someone answered jokingly "Spagoda". And she decided to run with it as a funny note. I remember VirginiaR using it as well in "Wrong clark", and I believe you had used it yourself in your Lord of the Rings-Tale.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
T
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
T
@Dandello: I currently work in COBOL (yes, I'm a dinosaur) and both Microsoft and Athena SQL (on AWS). I have done some HTML for my own use, but nothing professionally. Oh, VB.net on BIDS for MSSQL 2008R2 creates a build. Sorry, no Perl or php so far. I'm having enough "fun" learning Python at my age. I still don't understand why Python doesn't do substrings instead of "sclicing" strings to get subvalues.

BP, I had totally forgotten about using Ralph Spagoda in my tale The Fellowship of the Fanfic (shameless plug). Thank you for the reminder.

Lynn, thanks for looking up Ralph's appearances in canon. I'll have to re-watch those eps to see him again. He's such good comic relief.

S
Blogger
Blogger
S
Hi Terry, I just wanted to say thank you for this delight. It was so insightful and very interesting to read. It was great to give Ralph a new angle and it was interesting to see Perry's reaction and thoughts. I have a couple of team members who are on the autistic spectrum but thankfully have never received any formal complaints. I feel for both Ralph and Perry in this.

Thank you for sharing.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm a retired programmer.

How do you tell a extroverted programmer. They look at your shoes when talking to you.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
DCarson, Thank you for the belly laugh.

A (less-relevant-to-this-story) programmer joke that I have enjoyed for decades: Did you hear about the computer programmer who refused to come out of the shower? Apparently, his shampoo bottle's instructions said, "Lather. Rinse. Repeat."

T
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
T
Lynn, I've heard that one told about musicians who are slaved to the sheet music on the stand. And the chemist and the physicist and a bunch of others. But it's still good for a chuckle.

dcarson, I'm looking forward to retirement myself. More time to read and watch TV and movies and go to the senior center to exercise.

SimplyLnC, thank you for your kind words. AS people do well (as Lynn pointed out above) in jobs that are structured and fairly well scheduled. I know, programmers are either twiddling their thumbs waiting for the next assignment or drowning in production problems and looming deadlines and VPs who want stuff done Right Now! But it's better than door-to-door sales. I tried that when I was much younger and did not succeed.

I also want to thank everyone for reading, and especially everyone who has commented. Makes this old coder (I remember AutoCode on the IBM 1400 series!) feel kinda WAFFy.

T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Terry,

What a great fic!

My little cousin (he's 30) has AS. He is a great kid, who loves his video games, comic books and online friends. For him, without the internet, I doubt he'd have any interaction with anyone besides family. His school gave up on him (he wasn't diagnosed until his mom suffered a stroke and he couldn't remember to eat regularly, though we knew he was struggling with something from an early age), he couldn't get past an interview, and lives in a group home setting so he can be safe.

I've managed and trained people for 20 years, and thanks to my cousin, I've had my eyes opened to differently abled people, with different methods of learning.

Your fic hit me in all the feels. Thanks for a different, and eye opening take, on a common misconception.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard