Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#31501 08/12/06 04:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very good point, Terry:

the writers did this to make a dramatic statement that Lois loved Clark more than Superman, and that Clark loved Lois enough to let her do something he thought was nuts.
I wholeheartedly agree:

Should Superman have frozen Lois in the show? Yes, because it advanced the dramatic and romantic story lines.
Bravo!! Well said, Terry:

Did you like it? Let me know. Did you hate it? Let me know. Did you even read it? If not, tell me that, and be sure to let me know why (because that's perfectly valid), but don't bust me or the story without reading it first. That kind of response is far closer to a flame than a constructive comment.
As I said in another post, I'm willing to give any well written story a try. If the author gives me his/her time to write the story, edit it, spell check it, check punctuation, etc. I'll certainly try to read it. I'd like to think others felt the same. I just wish I had time to read all the well written stories.

Any thoughts on my challenge of a second, alternate story?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#31502 08/12/06 04:38 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Deathfic's is not my preference either so I've only skimmed it but I thought it looked extremely well written. Clark's living zombie state seemed to flow from his character. You certainly picked the most agonizing moment in the series for Lois to die, Terry. After Clark has decided to tell her but before he could come square with her.

I always disliked those episodes where the villain’s entire plot rests on Superman's goodness. This one took it one step further.

The villain expects Superman to kill one of his friends to save his parents, but if he were ready to do that why wouldn't he rather kill the evil mastermind himself? Superman knows who the kidnapper is and Mazik knows that Superman knows.

It reminds me of the war of Spanish succession where Lois XIV France was on the ropes, and was willing to concede practically every point the coalition demanded. But the peace negotiation came to a stop when Austria insisted that, if Lois:s son Filip didn't step down the throne of Spain, France would have to send troops to depose him. Lois XIV declined with: If I have to wage war I rather do it against my enemies then my children.

Classicalla,
CC: I'm curious about your story about Corben - as in Metallo? What was the story and who got charged? Interesting.
It's Yesterday upon a stair . Superman gets charged for his rather highhanded disposal of Corben. Melting his metal body, killing him, The story is well worth a read.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#31503 08/12/06 05:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Arawn. CC sent me an email - it's on my list to read. I'm curious as to why Superman would have been charged, though. In the script, one of the Vales actually snatched the kryptonite heart out of Corben's chest. I can't find that particular episode. Was it different than the script? (Way off topic - sorry.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#31504 08/12/06 07:38 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Terry, for your gracious explanation of what you intended with this story. smile

I'm not sure that I agree with your rationale for Clark's decision to freeze Lois - I think there's a larger issue of moral or ethical repsonsibility there, especially given that she'd made it clear that she was motivated by her desire to help Clark. But that's a discussion issue for elsewhere. It's not a simple question. smile

There's absolutely nothing in your story that is out of character for Clark - everything he did can be supported by what we saw in the episode. You've reminded us of the darkness in his character, and I thank you for that, too.

c.

#31505 08/12/06 03:48 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love your stories, Terry, so when I saw you wrote something short, I made time to read it. I'm so glad I did, if glad is the right word. Really, it was tragic. But well-written.

When Lois had died, Clark had died too.
I think what really struck me here was that I know of people who feel this way, upon losing someone they love, especially if they feel responsible, are tempted to commit suicide. Some even do. But, for Clark, that would be a lot harder than for your average person, wouldn't it? And knowing beyond all doubt that you were responsible?

You painted him stuck in a moment and never able to move forward again. So, in this case, I felt his suffering even more intensely.

Great story.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#31506 11/04/06 09:39 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Terry!!

whinging

Once again, Thank you! sloppy

Rach
Very good job!

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
LaraMoon #287808 10/18/20 11:02 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry,

You know why I dug up this old one. Let’s see…

Please, please don’t let this stop you from helping people. Please don’t – don’t stop being Superman! We need you.”
So, he should not switch to pitch-black, non-glossy spandex, a black on anthracite emblem and move to Gotham to…help out the local knightlife that dwells there in the dark? Can you imagine the not-fun a certain Cat would have with that new addition? It would be worse than when the Imposter showed up.

“I hope it works. I mean, I hope it worked.” She tried to smile. “Stupid verb tenses.”
Oooh! Wait, shouldn’t H.G. Wells show up to fix things?

She bit back a sob. “I’m sorry I won’t give you children.
Wow, facing death most definitely changed her outlook, considering how much she dragged this question out during their marriage.

“Thank you.” Paula stood. “Speaking for the city of Metropolis, I seriously doubt that any charges will be filed against anyone, except against Jason Mazik for instigating this situation.”

Ellen Lane looked up. “So you’re not going to arrest Superman?”

Paula shook her head. “The fact that Jason Mazik is in custody and in good health argues strongly against any culpable behavior on Superman’s part, aside from this very persuasive video. If Superman had intended any harm to Lois Lane, it’s doubtful that he’d have brought in a live suspect who could accuse him.”
Good thing it’s not yet election time or D.A. Clemmons would be there and Superman on trial.

Henderson sighed. “I know you don’t. But sometimes a police inspector needs to speak to an assistant district attorney off the record.”

“Ah. I’m sorry, yes, I appreciate the offer. Let me pick up that package and I’ll be ready to go.
Discussing the use of green crystals to bring in a dangerous alien after all? Either that or Henderson’s not married and the ADA fits his dating profile.

Clark hoped Paula Dolan was worth it to somebody. Or, at least, he hoped someone thought she was worth it.
/points at the earlier Henderson bit/

Jimmy nodded. “Okay, Chief.” He followed Perry out the door. “Do you mind if I give Penny a call when we get back to the newsroom?”
Umm…you moved her forward in time, didn’t you? So, there *is* hope for H.G. Wells showing up!

H.G.Wells: I already ensured a happy future for Mr. Olson. My work here is done.

Lucy stood and stepped closer to the attorney. “Mr. McAlister, can we get a copy of the video too?”
Isn’t it sad that it’s still several years before DVDs become en vogue and the marvel’s of lossless video preservation?

“I don’t care!” she shouted. She took a deep breath and continued, “I don’t know if I could have controlled myself if he’d come here today. I’m sorry they’re not going to file charges against him. I’m sorry that my sister is dead and it’s his fault.”
Hmm…so, we have a woman whom Clark already almost mistook for Lois. We already have a well established concept of people who have a grudge against Superman using fake Loises and Kryptonite bullets. This has all the markings of a criminal mastermind in the making.

Lois would never call him again. She’d never again drop in with a pizza and a Mel Gibson video or suddenly appear at his door with the next step in the investigation finished or make him nervous as she broke into a building or an office –
Wait, they do have Ghosts in the LnC universe. And Lois most definitely has open issues left to deal with.

He was reliable, he was effective, but he was just going through the motions. The once white-hot fire in his belly was cold ash.
So, this is like when in a twin star system, the red super giant collapses into a black hole and then starts shredding the hull of the second star, until only a naked, shriveled core remains, the new binary system giving off regular radio pulses but being generally a less-than-hospital place to be around?

On the few occasions when he considered his condition, it reminded him of what he’d lost when Lois had died, and it pushed him even deeper into his castle keep.

When Lois had died, Clark had died too.
This sounds like a more than a couple of months or even just a couple of years have passed. Did maybe pass closer to decade, maybe even two decades?

She’d been gone almost a year. Three hundred-forty-six days without Lois.
Ah, okay, so it’s not *that* kind of situation. Okay. Okay.

He looked inside himself for the answer once again.

It was still ‘no.’

It would always be ‘no.’
Very sad. I did read the comments thread but I’m not going to touch the (no longer?) hot topics (well, the thread’s gone cold, I’m sure the topic can quickly heat up again). The story was certainly a very introspective piece on what could have happened. I believe you handled it very well, Terry!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LaraMoon #287811 10/19/20 09:47 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hi Terry,

This story is one of the most heart-wrenching, devastating and sad stories I have ever read. I think it is also one of the best. I think you have described Clark's feelings perfectly - you had me crying almost from the start to the ending.
Lucy's hatred towards Superman adds to Clark's misery and at the same time he sees so many similarities between her and her sister. I can't see this Clark ever opening up to anyone again, especially since he even built a barrier between himself and his parents. I would imagine him abandoning Clark to be Superman full time. But he feels the hero is responsible for Lois' death in the first place.

Great story and thank you for sharing it.

smile

Kathryn
LaraMoon #287829 10/27/20 05:11 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hey, Michael!

Sorry to trick you on the time frame, but when I wrote this I figured a year would be a good benchmark for all the progress Clark hasn't made dealing with his grief. Henderson and Paula Dolan as an item? Maybe. I wanted to slip a little sliver of hope into the future of some of the others (see also Perry and Alice and Jimmy and Penny) without minimizing Clark's pain, because that was the focal point of the tale.

Thank you, Kathryn, for your kind words. You've homed in on the source of his ongoing grief, and the sequel that I have written will deal with his state of mind between Clark and Superman as well.

See y'all on the boards!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard