Injustice
Folc4evernaday
Epilogue

One Year Later…

Lois set the paper down, smiling at the headlines that had graced the front page of the Daily Planet. The front-page photo of Jack shaking hands with Superman and Maury standing in the background covered the top half of the paper with the headline of ‘Superman Foundation and Hope House Take On Child Services.’

Jack had put together an elaborate and effective foundation for helping pull kids off the street without the ulterior motive the Fifth Street Mission had. With the help of many of the schools in the area and some motivated politicians looking to clean up their image, he’d secured funding to put a stop to the epidemic in missing children that had taken over Metropolis.

Working with other cities and overseas with the other organizations dedicated to stopping human trafficking, they’d successfully worked to free nearly three hundred children in the last year. It wouldn’t completely eliminate the threat, but it was a step in the right direction, and with Jack working with the people Clark had put in charge of the Superman Foundation to lead the charge in restructuring New Troy’s Child Services division, there might be hope in protecting the children in their charge from predators looking for an easy target.

She spotted Clark walking toward her with an extra skip in his step, nodding as he perched himself on the edge of her desk with a beaming grin. She pointed toward the television screen that was still displaying the coverage from Superman’s testimony to the Senate’s Judiciary Committee. “I take it everything went well?”

“Yeah,” he leaned closer to whisper, “Verdict came in about ten minutes ago.”

“And?” Lois inquired, raising her eyebrows with interest while trying to keep her composure calm and disinterested even though she was dying to know how the committee had voted.

“They’re going to hold a press conference in about an hour to announce it,” Clark chuckled, teasing her with the knowledge he had but continued to hold back from sharing.

“And your point being?” Lois prompted, reaching her hand up to finger the end of his tie, toying with it playfully.

“Mmm, mmm,” he shook his head. “Nope.”

“Is it at least good news?” Lois sighed, recognizing the stubbornness that was covering his features. Though many times he tended to share tidbits of information before scheduled press conferences that he’d learned as Superman, there were times he couldn’t. This it appeared, was one of those times.

“You will be satisfied with the information they are going to announce in…” he glanced at the time on her computer screen, “…fifty-three minutes.”

“Fine, I’ll wait,” Lois crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back in her chair. “You don’t have to look so pleased with yourself.”

“Superman has to be trusted,” Clark reminded her, reaching his hand out to take her hand in his. He pointed to her screen, “Still stuck, huh?”

Lois glared at him, “Jewelry store locks up at night, and jewelry store opens up with everything gone in the morning.” She let out a heavy sigh. “I’m mulling over the angle.”

“Ah, is that what they call it now?” he chuckled, ducking as she swatted him with the newspaper in front of her.

Ingrid looked around the semi-crowded room, noting the differences in age and gender of her fellow test-takers. She found a seat at the table near the middle of the room, settling herself in place and mentally preparing for the test she was about to take.

In front of her was a white packet with large bold black letters ‘General Equivalency Diploma Test.’ At the bottom of the page was a line for her to write her name.

‘You’ve got this,’ she reminded herself.

Jack fiddled with the knot of his tie, glancing across the crowd of reporters on the steps of the Capitol Building. A podium was positioned on the top step where the Senate Judiciary Chairman was standing, waiting to address the crowd. He checked the time on his watch, smiling to himself when he spotted Agent Davenport and Director Talley approaching from the edge of the crowd. Many lives had been upended and torn apart, but he was confident justice would continue to be served.

“Ladies and Gentlemen of the Press, I thank you for your time and your patience today…”

A white light flashed from a camera as the chairman scanned the crowd with a clear purpose and intent. The words floated off his tongue and into the homes and offices of the world as he addressed the question everyone had been waiting for in the last year was finally answered. “Today, we celebrate justice. I want to thank each and every one of you and your tireless efforts to continue to keep this in the forefront of this country’s mind. We pride ourselves on having a democracy that is based on the cornerstone that we elected officials are the voice of the people, and we serve the people. When that trust is broken, nothing short of unyielding punishment is acceptable.”

“Our office has been bombarded with rotating doors of testimony from everyone in public offices, public servants such as myself, judges, and even our cabinet members to inquiry those that hold the power to bend this nation to the whim of those that would want to do it harm. I am proud to announce that after nearly fourteen months of interviews and inquiries along with the trial for those responsible we have named the treasonous leaders and they have been found guilty of high treason.”

The crowd erupted into chaos as the journalists continued to clamor for a quote or sound byte to deliver on. The chairman waved the crowd off and turned away from the podium adding a quick. “That is all. A written statement will be issued to all media organizations addressing the details.”

A heavy sigh escaped Lois’ throat as she leaned her head back against her husband’s solid frame, feeling a wave of relief wash over her as the news of the former congressmen’s verdict sunk in. Over a year of working to stop the child traffickers that had worked unopposed in the shadows of Metropolis, snatching up children and selling them to the highest bidder. What had started as a pursuit for a young girl’s life had ballooned into the uncovering of one of the biggest political scandals of the decade.

“It’s really over,” Lois breathed, reaching her hand up to swipe a tear from her eyes. She leaned back to look at Clark, whose arms were still wrapped tightly around her waist.

“Yeah,” Clark leaned down to press his lips to hers. “It’s really over.”

She kept his gaze, feeling the weight she had been carrying for the last year and a half disappear with the realization that those responsible for the anguish and pain girls like Esma and Ingrid had been put through were finally going to be punished. Justice would be served. So much had changed in the last year and a half. They had been subjected to the wrath of those responsible in every way possible. Trial by the media of public opinion had been the first tool of choice in an effort to dissuade them from pursuing this story. Next came the physical threat of trying and failing to kidnap her and possibly Jon. Though there had yet to be any sign of Jon’s super abilities since she’d forever be grateful for her son’s quick actions, which had saved both her and his little sister.

So much had changed.

She had her credibility questioned. Her parenting skills and good name were put on trial, and she’d come close to becoming another voice to be snuffed out by this group of thugs that felt they had the power to bend the world to their whim. The recent takedown of the congressmen that had been working with the child traffickers they had uncovered had been an explosive headline that forced an overhaul on the justice department for the sake of preserving the sanctity of the highest office of the land. With the investigations came inquiries into other countries’ justice departments as well and the formation of a department dedicated to rescuing and protecting individuals that might have fallen prey to the nefarious hands of human traffickers that could appear anywhere in the world.

Knowing the terror Ingrid and Esma had endured was enough to keep her up at night and go to the depths of the Earth to stop these predators from ever coming near the innocent lives they sought to exploit. After Laura’s birth, Clark had begun committing more and more time to help Jack build up the Hope project. A part of her wondered if it wasn’t his own protective fatherly instinct kicking into overdrive, realizing how their daughter would be more likely to be a target for predators like this.

It wasn’t the only reason, of course, but it did stir up motivation for both of them to do what was necessary to put a stop to the men responsible for all of this. With the headlines and the verdict from Judge Harper swiftly shutting down any attempts to continue the trial by media, the Planet was able to secure a swift judgment in their favor and settle the defamation suit they’d been forced to file.

“Hey, you two, what are you still doing here?” Perry called out to them, pointing toward the elevator doors. “Hell’s bells, the invitation said five o’clock.”

“We were just heading out,” Clark answered, taking her hand in his. “We have to drop Laura and Jon off at my folks, and then we’ll meet you there, Chief.”

“Five o’clock,” Perry reminded them, tapping the blue-trimmed envelope in his hand. “Don’t be late.”

“Give us a little credit,” Lois winked at him before heading up the ramp with Clark.

Clark reached his arm over to press the call button when they reached the elevator doors. “He’s just nervous. It’s not every day we get invited to the Pulitzer Awards ceremony.”

Lois flashed him a nervous smile, “I know. I can hardly believe it.”

The Pulitzer awards were something she had strived for throughout her career. She had climbed through the trenches, building up her career and her name, and now here she was preparing to attend her first awards dinner for the prestigious award ceremony.

“It’s well-deserved,” Clark whispered, leaning in to cup her cheek just as the elevator doors opened.

“We don’t even know if we’ve won yet,” Lois reminded him as they stepped onto the elevator car. She grimaced, glancing at the time on her watch. “We’re going to be cutting it close even with super-speed.”

“We’ll get there in time,” Clark reassured her.

Eight

Nine

Ten

Eleven

Twelve

Dan Scardino shook his head, pointing to the target that was littered with uneven punctures from the bullets that had just rained across it. He placed a hand on the agent’s shoulder, pointing to the target.

“Try it again, but this time focus on hitting one spot on the target, not the whole thing.”

The agent nodded, replacing the earmuffs and protective gear as the new target moved back into position. Dan let out a heavy sigh, tugging his own protective gear down over his ears as the shots fired.

The second attempt was a little better, but the workmanship on this agent’s aim left a lot to be desired. Dan ran a hand through his thick hair and let out a heavy sigh, lifting the agent’s protective gear up from his ears, tapping him on the shoulder. “How about we take five?”

He turned toward the exit, preparing to make his way to the breakroom and hopefully regain some patience before he had to head back in. How exactly he’d gotten suckered into helping train the rookies in-between assignments, he couldn’t recall. But for now, he was stuck with the burden and hating every second of it.

He stopped in the breakroom, grabbing a quick cup of coffee and stepping out into the front lobby, scanning his badge to open the sliding glass doors. He waved to the receptionist, Janice, and smirked when he saw a familiar face in the lobby.

“Well, look what the cat dragged in,” Dan chuckled, reaching his arm out to shake his former partner’s hand. “They let just anyone in here now?”

“Well, they let you in here, didn’t they?” McCord let out a snicker at his own joke. “I had to see it to believe it.” He pointed to the doorway behind him as Scardino walked out front with him for them to continue their conversation away from the crowded lobby where people were continuing to come in and out. They reached the corner of the building, taking a seat on the wooden bench next to a trash can and an outdoor water fountain when McCord gave him a once over and snickered, “They domesticated you, Scardino, and got you to train the guppies coming in, eh?”

“It was a weak moment, and it won’t happen again,” Scardino flashed him an uncertain gaze.

“I’m sure,” McCord laughed, shaking his head.

“Well, how’s retirement treating you?” Scardino asked, “Bored of laying around doing nothing already, or you just coming down here to rub salt in the wounds?”

“Nah, nothing like that,” McCord responded with a smile. “I heard you were finally settled after your year-long stint and wanted to see how you were doing. This bust has been a long time coming.”

“For both of us,” Scardino acknowledged quietly.

“I screwed up,” McCord gestured to himself. “I’m man enough to admit that. The important thing is you got ‘em.”

“Not all of ‘em.” Scardino scowled. “They’re still out there.”

“Well, lucky for them, they got a cranky old fart to help train these kids up and tackle some child trafficking butt to the ground.” McCord grinned back at him.

“Actually, I’m going to be staying stateside for a bit. Try the whole domesticated thing out,” Scardino shrugged.

“Well, look at you, Scardino, trying to put down roots?”

“Something,” Scardino shrugged, taking a seat on the bench and sipping from his coffee cup. “I’ve been chasing these guys for nearly seven years. I need a change of pace. I’ve brought Jenna’s murderers to justice, and that’s enough for now.” He shrugged his shoulders, “I’ve asked them for an assignment close by so I can pretend like I’m still somewhat human.”

“You sure there isn’t any other reason for staying nearby?” McCord asked.

“Jenna’s gone, McCord. I know that.” Scardino let out a heavy sigh. “I’ve got to learn to move on and figure out what’s next.” He gazed back at him with a smirk, “What about you? You poking your nose around here have anything to do with the judgment against Director Collins?”

“Well, maybe I’m just reconnecting with some like minds.” McCord gave him a weak smile. “I never fit in with the agency, Scardino. You know that. I would like to refer people to you guys if the opportunity presents itself.”

“Isn’t that a bit backwards?” Scardino furrowed his brow. “We’re supposed to know about drug busts before the locals, remember?”

“Well, I’ve been doing a little bit of P.I. stuff…”

“Ah, so you haven’t completely given up and picked out your headstone.” Scardino’s eyebrows rose. “What’s the case?”

“How do you know it’s a case?”

“Uh-huh,” Scardino waved his hand toward his chest, gesturing for him to hand it over.

“Old lady thought her husband was cheating on her. Long story short is yes, she was right, but there was a whole lot more to the story….Ever hear of a guy named Diego Martinez?”

“The drug dealer in New Troy’s housing project district?” Scardino’s brow furrowed. “We cleaned him and his guys out two years ago.”

“Did you?”

Clark readjusted the tie on his tux, looking around the crowded streets outside the Metro Plaza where the Pulitzer Awards dinner was being held. After a quick change of clothes at home and a quick visit to his parents’ to ensure Jon and Laura were safely in their grandparents’ care for the remainder of the evening, he’d had time to slip in a quick patrol around the city before arriving at the Metro Plaza for the awards dinner. Lois had still been finishing up her make-up when he’d left and would most likely be arriving any minute.

He glanced at the watch around his waist, catching the time with a smile. Ten minutes to spare. He scanned the hotel lobby as he climbed up the steps, keeping a careful eye out for his wife. A gold-framed sign stood in the entryway directing everyone attending the awards dinner to make their way to the Plaza Suite.

A small crowd of tuxedos and evening wear surrounding the tall double doors with a large ‘P’ engraved into the doors on each side. The small crowd was missing one person – Lois.

He finished his trek down the stairs and moved across the lobby toward the secluded area by the bar, checking to see if Lois might have taken a seat there while waiting for him, but found nothing but a few competing journalists toasting good luck to the ceremony and wishing each other well.

“A little early for a nightcap, isn’t it?” a teasing voice came behind him.

He turned to see Lois standing behind him with a stunning smile that stopped him in his tracks. He hadn’t had a chance to see her in the dress she’d chosen for tonight’s ceremony before leaving. As always, she was breathtakingly gorgeous in the black silk and chiffon that flowed around her, forming a perfect A-line cut on her strapless gown. Her hair was pinned back, and a sheer shawl hung over her shoulders.

“Wow,” He ran a hand across her cheek, leaning in to kiss her, “You look incredible.”

“Hey, you two, they’re about to start,” Perry said, waving them over.

Lois giggled, reaching her hand over to take hold of his hand and tugging him with her. “So, I guess this is the moment of truth, huh?”

“Just another award dinner,” Clark grinned, wrapping his arms around her, tugging her to him.

“It’s the Pulitzers,” Lois countered. “Prestigious journalism awards that only recognize the best of the best.”

“And you are the best,” he whispered, reaching his hand over to cup her cheek. “It’s not every day a cover-up all the way to the Capitol Building gets exposed. We’ve got this one in the bag.”

“You think so?” Lois teased, looking back at him. “You never know…”

“If not, there’s always next year…”

“And the year after that…”

~ The End

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube