Injustice
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 14

Present Day…

“I’m sorry Ms. Lane, I thought the lab had called you already….”

Lois quickly cut the nurse off, “Well, there was a voicemail to call them back, but it’s not like they spelled anything out for me.” Lois paused, hearing the bite in her tone. “I’m sorry. It’s just a little surprising is all.”

“Well, it’s still pretty early. That’s to be expected.” The nurse advised happily. “You said you stopped taking your contraceptive three months ago?”

“Five,” Lois said, looking over her shoulder to be sure her conversation wasn’t being overheard. Her and Clark’s private life was already under scrutiny and this would only add fuel to the fire.

Pregnant.

She was pregnant.

<<“You were struck by …Lois, I’m so sorry…”>>

<<“Clark, is our baby…?”

“I’m so sorry…”

“No… Please, no…”>>

<<“Please don’t leave me.”>>

They had all but given up hope after they’d been told how difficult conceiving would be after her injuries from her run-in with LiveWire and the after-effects of her miscarriage. They had tried of course. Almost desperately until it became too painful to stare at the single pink line every month, taunting her with its rejection.

There had of course been the off handed thought, a whimsical wonder of what it would be like to have another baby. The reality of it seemed to be an unattainable beacon she never could quite catch. The pain that had consumed her and Clark after their run-in with LiveWire two years ago still lingered. She doubted she would ever truly recover from it. Now here she was faced with the reality of an impending pregnancy amidst the chaos that continued to ravage their lives.

“Any idea how far along I am?”

<<“Clark, is our baby…?”

“I’m so sorry…”

“No… Please, no…”>>

“It’s hard to say exactly without a definitive last period date. I’d like to get you in as soon as possible to help narrow down the date of conception and begin prenatal care.” The nurse advised gently. “It looks like we can get you in this afternoon for an ultrasound.”

Lois blanched slightly, interrupting the nurse, “I think maybe let’s try for later in the week. Today’s already a little crazy.” She eyed Clark exiting the conference room with Jack. “Could you send over the dates and times you have and I’ll confirm tomorrow?”

“Sure thing, Ms. Lane,” the nurse replied adding a quick, “Congratulations.”

Lois hung up the phone, feeling her hand tremble as she released it from the receiver. She let out a heavy breath, still reeling from the news she’d received. Her hand instinctively reached down to her abdomen, placing it protectively over her midsection.

<<“Clark, is our baby…?”

“I’m so sorry…”

“No… Please, no…”>>

“Lois?”

She heard her name being called, pulling her from the painful memories that continued to haunt her. She looked up and saw Perry standing next to her with a concerned look on his face. “Everything okay?”

“Fine,” Lois said hurriedly, flipping the notepad over in her lap she had been using to jot down her notes during her call with her OBGYN’s nurse.

Perry’s brow furrowed but he didn’t say anything. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a card for her. Lois took the business card from him, spotting the Daily Planet logo across the top and the script writing at the bottom which read ‘General Counsel Staff.’

“You and Clark will need to stop by her office to sign some papers to get the defamation suit filed.” Perry explained finally after she glanced at him with a questioning gaze. He cleared his throat and added, “That is…you’re still wanting to file the suit, right?”

“Yeah, yeah,” Lois nodded, though her voice was less than convincing when she spoke up, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear and flashing him a quick smile. “I, uh, guess I was surprised with how quickly things move is all.”

Perry gave her a pained expression, “Well, truth be told the Planet has been holding this card close to the vest, but it wasn’t something we felt comfortable moving forward with until you and Clark were onboard.”

“Well, I guess I can understand that,” Lois tapped her hand across her desk. “So, what exactly is the plan? Go after every media organizations continuing to spread this untruth to their subscribers and readers and then what?” Her thumb brushed against the ink on the card, still apprehensive of this step.

“Well, we hit ‘em where it hurts until they stop.” Perry laid a hand on her shoulder. “You’re doing the right thing.” He patted her shoulder with his hand and then moved toward his office.

Lois let out a heavy sigh, watching him leave. Her attention shifted back to the card in her hand, wondering what her next move should be. She turned back to the conference room, catching Clark’s gaze as he navigated his way through the array of desks in the newsroom and stopping in front of her.

“Find something?” Lois asked, gesturing to the conference room he’d just exited out of.

“Maybe,” he said, perching himself on the edge of her desk. “Jack’s friend Omer might be finally showing Jack his true colors.”

“You mean the fact that he’s suspiciously creepy and something isn’t adding up with his story on what he’s doing teaching art history when he’s supposedly so connected?”

“Hmm, more along the lines of him discouraging Jack to look at the trend of more kids going missing in the recent years.” Clark tapped the side of his chin, “I still don’t trust him.”

“Hmm, well, then who do we trust to help find these girls?” Lois asked, leaning back in her chair, subconsciously tapping the card in her hand against her abdomen.

“The FBI?” Clark snorted, shaking his head in dismay. “I don’t know. I can’t understand how so many kids could disappear and nobody do anything to stop it.” He pointed at the card in her hand, changing the subject. “What’s that?”

“Card for the Planet’s legal counsel.” Lois said, handing it to him. “I take it you talked to Perry already.”

“I called him this morning,” Clark said, glancing over his shoulder before adding in a hushed whisper. “I wanted to be sure we go about this the right way, so we don’t put him in a tough spot.”

Lois nodded her agreement, “Well, Perry said there’s a few documents we need to sign before they can file the suit.”

Clark held out his hand for her, helping her up from her seat, “I guess now’s as good a time as any to head downstairs and sign everything.”

Lois walked with Clark up the ramp leading to the upper balcony by the elevators. She let out a heavy sigh and shook her head, “I’m still not entirely convinced this won’t come back to bite us some way.” She said as they reached the top of the ramp.

They walked over to where the elevator panel was and he reached over to press the call button. The elevator pinged and they stepped onto the elevator car as he murmured. “Well, it might, or it might get these guys to back off.”

Two Years Ago…

The floorboards creaked ever so slightly as Clark landed in his living room. He winced inwardly, looking through the ceiling above him to where Jon and Lois were fast asleep, thankfully oblivious to the late hour he had returned. He glanced at the clock, pondering if he should even bother with the pretense of attempting sleep or not. Sleep had been elusive these last few weeks.

He spun out of his Superman suit and discarded it into the laundry basket, running a weary hand across his face. The oil tanker fire that had erupted thankfully had minimal damage to the Metropolis Bridge and the captain and crew had all been brought to safety with no injuries. It was a good rescue.

Still, he couldn’t shake the feeling that he should have done more.

<<“That idiot Kent never could figure that out. I was always twelve steps ahead of him. I’m unstoppable.”>>

<<“Do you really think Superman will take you back once he knows I’ve had you?”>>

<<“Clark, is our baby…?”

“I’m so sorry…”

“No… Please, no…”>>

<<“How does it feel to know how close you were to bringing down the boss of Metropolis…and fail?”>>

“No! Jon! No!”

Lois shot up in bed, screaming from the invisible threat that plagued her mind. Sweat poured down her face as she looked around the dark room, trying to place the familiar surroundings with the painful images from her recent nightmare.

Her hand instinctively reached for her abdomen, reaching out for the life that had been lost. Painful tears escaped the corners of her eyes and she let out a muffled sob. She glanced at the clock, running a hand through her tangled hair. Her heart still pounded against her chest as she instinctively reached for Clark, feeling a hallow pang in her chest when she felt the cool sheets against her fingertips.

Clark still wasn’t back from his patrol.

The haunting images from her recent nightmare plagued her mind, reminding her of her loss and the fear of losing so much more pushed its way to the forefront of her mind. Tears trickled down her cheeks and she reached up to wipe them away. Her entire body ached as she rolled over in bed. She let out a low breath, wincing as she sat up, wobbling to her feet and patting her way toward Jon’s room.

She just needed to see him. Reassure herself that he was okay and then she could go back to bed. Maybe Clark would be home soon. She let out a heavy sigh. The patrols were getting more and more frequent in the past few weeks. A part of her wondered if he was avoiding her or simply just his way of dealing with the miscarriage.

Her hand tightened around the doorknob to Jon’s room, taking in a shallow breath as she carefully twisted the knob. She poked her head inside his room, sighing in relief when she saw Jon asleep in his bed with his arm tucked around his favorite teddy bear. A smile peaked across her face and she softly closed the door, careful not to wake Jon up.

She turned to head back to bed and almost ran straight into her husband’s chest. She let out a low hiss, “Don’t do that.”

“Sorry,” he placed a hand on her shoulder. “It’s two in the morning. What are you still doing up?”

She twisted her mouth, shaking her head as she mumbled out, “I woke up. Just wanted to check on him.” She glanced up at him and added, “Are you just now finishing up patrol?”

“No…” He frowned and let out a half-hearted, “Sort of.” He let out a heavy sigh, “There were a few muggings, a break-in, and then an oil tanker caught fire…”

She reached her hand up, brushing her hand across his cheek, watching as his eyes clamped closed at her touch. Her lips pressed to his, then she leaned her head against his shoulder and whispered, “Sounds like a busy night for Superman.”

“Eventful,” he allowed wrapping his arms around her and pulling her to him. “Come on, honey, it’s late. You need your rest.”

“And you don’t?” she murmured, lifting her head up to look at him.

He let out a long shallow breath, leaning in to lift her up in his arms as he leaned in to kiss her. He then whispered in her ear, “You win.”

A grin crossed her face as he leaned over to kiss her, cradling her in his arms as he carried her back to bed. She let out a contented sigh, feeling his weight press against her as they sank onto the bed. His arms wrapped around her waist and she noted the soft breaths coming from him. She joined him shortly afterward, praying the nightmares that had awoken her earlier wouldn’t return.

Sweat poured down Dan Scardino’s back as he made his way through the crowded bazar looking for the red tin roof he’d been told would be run by a man of the name Omer Demir who could take him to Schiller. He had been searching for this Omer for nearly three days. He was soaked from the never-ending sweat that poured over his body and felt a fatigue that shook him to the bone.

Still, he remained vigilant, ready to take on whatever was thrown at him. He had come so far and faced the many demons this world had to offer. With each challenge he knew he was getting closer.

Finally he reached the red tin roof at the end of the bazar and saw a figure sitting in front of a small round table with a heavy red cloth over it. The figure was covered from head to toe in the traditional Middle Eastern attire he’d come to expect. He bit his lower-lip, lingering in front of the makeshift station that had been setup and called out, “Are you Omer?”

The figure reached a hand out, motioning for him to enter. “You seem lost,” a feminine voice called out to him.

Scardino let out a sigh of defeat, realizing this woman couldn’t possibly be Omer. “You’re not Omer,” he said simply.

“No,” her voice was quiet and subdued as she looked back at Scardino. “You’re American. A long way from home.”

“I just need to find Omer. I have some business to discuss with him.”

“Yes, I’m sure you do,” her voice was cold with a sharp bite. “I can’t help you.” She waved him off. “Your streets are littered with the desperate and willing. You need not come here, American.”

“Is that what you think I’m after?” Scardino growled out casually.

“Isn’t it?” She pointed him toward the door. “Already exposing yourself within the first five minutes. I would have expected better, Agent.”

He did a double-take, realizing his mistake as he stared at her with a questioning gaze, “How did you…?”

“No one comes looking for Omer, Agent. They come looking for the girls and the drugs.” Her face broke into a thin smile that sent a chill down to his toes. “What are you really looking for, Agent?”

“I’m not a…”

“You cover your shoes with extra sand to wear them down faster and hide the fact that you haven’t spent a lifetime in this desert. Your hands are cleanly trimmed and your face is nothing like the degenerates that darken my door looking for their weekly fix.” She pointed to the crystal behind him and whispered, “And I can see your camera bag from here.”

Scardino looked behind him and pulled on the golden rope behind him to close the curtain. He let out a shaky breath as he spoke up, “Okay, I’ll bite. What makes you think I’m an agent, though?”

“Local police have no business here and I’ve met one of you before,” her gaze grew dark as she quickly looked away.

“An American Agent?” Scardino asked with intrigue.

“You would never make it past the front door. Your country does nothing to prepare you for how things truly are here.” She scoffed at him with a sinister laugh. “Go back to America where you belong.”

“I can’t do that.” Scardino said, taking a step toward her, placing his hands on the red cloth covered table. “You seem to know a lot about America’s covert operation practices. Why is that?”

She looked away, seeming to contemplate her next move before finally pulling back the scarf that covered her face and revealed a reddish brown scar covered the left half of her face, drawing a clean line from her ear down to her chin. She pointed at the scar and shook her head, “How about we start with how exactly you found your way here?”

“I wasn’t searching for you, Miss….”

“Yvonne,” she answered sharply, pointing to her face. “I don’t help Americans. Too much bloodshed.”

“I don’t want any trouble,” Scardino let out a heavy breath.

“You mess with Omer you have nothing but trouble,” Yvonne shot back coldly. “You have no idea what he’s capable of.” She gestured to the scar on her face, “Go ahead, take it in. This is what happens to people that cross paths with the likes of Omer and Elias.”

“I just want answers,” Scardino said gently. “There’s a man. Goes by the name of Schiller. He was funneling drugs to Omer Demir and I’m trying to stop him.” She grew quiet, looking back at him uncertainly with a haunted expression. He ran a weary hand across his face and pulled back the turban, revealing his face. “I lost my fiancée to these animals. She was working undercover and then one day she went silent. We found her body months later in Qatar.” He could hear the crack in his voice as he spoke, trying to keep his raw emotions at bay but allowing this woman to see his desperation in the hope that she would give him the grace to point him to where he needed to go.

“I’m sorry about your fiancée,” Yvonne said softly, tucking her chin into her chest. “I lost someone who was a very dear friend to me to these animals. I am cruel because I won’t stand for the bloodshed to continue if I can help it.”

“Then help me stop them,” Scardino pleaded. He reached in his pants pocket, pulling out the last photo he had of Jenna. “Her name was Jenna. She was amazing and smart and she fought with everything she had in her to save those that didn’t have a voice of their own….Bringing justice to her is all I have left.”

Yvonne frowned, reaching over to take the photo in her hand and gasped out, “Mira?”

“No, no, Jenna,” Scardino corrected.

Yvonne’s face went pale and she shook her head. “I knew her as Mira.”

“You knew her?” Scardino frowned, feeling the hair on his back stand up as he stared back at her in surprise.

“She helped me.” Yvonne answered with a shaky breath. “If it weren’t for her I would have died that night and become just another one of the girls these degenerates seek out when the weight of the money in their pocket and the idle hands lead them to the devil’s doorstep. Unfortunately, my escape was short-lived. Anwar was much less brutal though.” Her face softened as she added. “I still have nightmares over what Elias did to him.” She sneered at his attire and shook her head, “As I said before you will never get past the doorway. They will kill you on the spot.”

“Then help me,” Scardino pleaded with her. “Help me stop them.”

Clark placed a hand across Lois’ hip, gently nudging her awake as he leaned over to kiss her. He smiled against her lips, reaching over to cup her face, “Coffee’s ready,” he murmured, pointing to the coffee on her nightstand.

A lazy grin crossed her face and she whispered back, “My hero.”

She winced as she changed positions, trying to sit up in bed to claim the coffee mug. He placed a hand on her lower-back and looked at her in concern, “Still sore?”

“Achy,” Lois answered, taking a sip from the mug of coffee. “I’ll survive.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t go back in the office just yet,” Clark began, moving his hand across her back with a gentle squeeze. “It’s only been a few weeks and you’re still…”

“Clark, I’ll be fine,” Lois gave him a quick smile. “Look, you can’t stay with me every second of the day.” She placed a hand across his cheek. “The rest of the world needs you too.”

He nodded his agreement, letting out a heavy sigh, “I’ll come by after the staff meeting to check on you.”

“Fine,” she relented with a sigh.

“Love you,” he murmured, leaning in for one last kiss before pulling away and gathering up his things at super-speed to leave.

Detective Zymack placed his notepad in his pocket, looking across the semi-crowded dining hall of the Fifth Street Mission. His heart was heavy as he looked around the open room where the faces seemed to blur into one with a piercing haunted stare that chilled him to the bone.

This was one of the few places in Metropolis the kids that had runaway from their homes could find shelter. The sisters that ran the place worked with the police to help find them assistance. It wasn’t seen that way by some of the patrons of the mission. Many of the runaways that came through here often disappeared before they could be transferred into the smaller shelters that were geared for the younger kids that often found themselves on the mission’s doorstep.

He let out a heavy sigh, heading toward the door and nodding in Sister Tracy’s direction. Half her conversation reached his ears and he looked back at her, trying to understand what she might be referring to.

“Yusif, I have another one. That’ll make three this week.”

The radio on his belt chirped, “All units please respond…”

Yusif ran a sharp blade against his thumb, feeling the metal brush against the edge of his worn nails as he listened to Sister Tracy barrage him with her incessant nagging through the phone. “That’ll make three this week, Yusif. You’ll need to be careful. Superman’s been patrolling at least three times a night now.”

Yusif reached over to grab the syringe and cigarette packet from the table in front of him. He extracted a single cigarette from the package and inserted the needle into the nicotine that was tightly packed into it and squeezed the syringe needle, pressing the liquid betäuben into the contents. “I’ll be there in a few.”

Clark stood outside the stairwell door - two offices down from Congressman Donald Schumer’s office, waiting patiently for the congressman to appear. He glanced at the time on his watch, tapping his foot on the green and white carpet below his feet, wondering how long the congressman would continue treating himself to a morning rendezvous with his secretary before finally showing his face.

His gaze shifted to the door, hearing more than enough with his enhanced hearing as the congressman indulged himself in activities with his secretary that were unbecoming of a state senator that had an ailing wife and children at home. Clark shook his head in disgust, pondering momentarily if he was ready to jump back in the game so soon after his run-in with LiveWire.

The rational side of him would say he had to start somewhere and a crooked philandering congressman was a good place to start as any. Ignoring the fact that he was tempted to beat the congressman’s head in and remind him of the many promises he had made and was breaking by indulging in his sordid affair. But it wasn’t his affair he was here to discuss.

According to the information that had been leaked hours ago, Congressman Donald Schumer’s campaign was funded by Intergang. Rather than running with the information and letting it go to print he was trying to give the congressman a chance to share his side of the story before sending the story to Perry. A chance he clearly didn’t deserve.

“You sure you don’t want me to stake out his office?” Jimmy asked, letting out a heavy sigh, looking around the fine linen wallpaper that covered the walls around them. “Just because the story leaked doesn’t mean he won’t try to more obvious exit.”

Clark tapped his ear, hearing the unwelcome noise from the stairwell finally come to an end. ‘Add that to a million things I wish I never have to hear again,’ he thought to himself and then turned his attention to Jimmy. “He’ll be looking for a way to avoid the press. This is the only stairwell that puts him close enough to his office to make a quick exit or entry.”

Jimmy shrugged his shoulders, leaning up against the door to the stairwell, looking down at the chair that was propped up against the door. “Well, denying him entry is one way to make him talk.”

The door handle jingled, and a muffled voice Clark recognized as Schumer’s came through the door, “What the…?”

“It’s locked!” a feminine voice followed Schumer’s as Jimmy removed the chair and swung the door open.

The photographer, Tim, got a quick shot before either could react and the frantic voices of both the secretary and Schumer filled the hallway as the two tried to find an exit from the precarious situation they’d stumbled into.

“Senator Schumer, I’m James Olsen with the Daily Planet. We’d like to ask you some questions about your campaign fund…”

Senator Michael Harris made his way through the crowd of press that surrounded the state capitol, trying to find his way to the secured exit with his security team. A hand clamped on his shoulder and he looked behind him, seeing an unfamiliar face in the uniform his security team members wore, helping push past the crowded press.

“Harris, is it true you’ve been accepting bribes?”

“What do you say to the voters that have been betrayed by you?”

“I’m…I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Harris stammered out, pushing his way to the end of the walkway where the rest of his detail was waiting for him.

Donald Schumer pointed to the headline across the front page of the Daily Planet, slamming his fist on the table as he growled back at Tobias. “What exactly am I paying you for if my personal matters are going to land on the front page of the world’s most respected news organization?”

Tobias leaned back in his chair, unaffected by the news, glancing at the headline that read, ‘Philandering Congressman On the Take?’ He chuckled at the image of Schumer launching toward the photographer with his clothing in an obvious disheveled state. “You’re lucky. Had it been any other paper they’d have put a camera in the stairwell with you and your little mistress here.”

“Yes, I should write them a thank you note,” Schumer scowled back at Tobias. “This needs to go away.”

“I’m not sure I follow,” Tobias remarked with a shrug of his shoulders. “What exactly do you expect me to do about this?”

“What you always do,” Schumer grunted with a disgusted look. “Make it go away.”

“Well, then I suppose you should think real hard just how much this unfortunate incident is worth to you and double it.” Tobias replied with a chuckle. “Then put it all in a very large duffle bag and donate it to our friends at Fifth Street Mission. You do care about those poor children they help over there, don’t you, Senator?”

“Of course I do,” Schumer muttered through gritted teeth. “So, after I make this donation…?”

“Make the donation senator and then be sure to light a candle for those poor children that have nothing.” Tobias let out a chuckle. “Unmarked bills of course.”

“Of course,” Schumer agreed.

Lois helped Jon readjust helmet checking that it was strapped below his chin correctly. She reached over to stroke his cheek and whispered, “Snug as a bug.”

He giggled back at her and laughed, holding up his painted toilet paper roll he had dubbed his Excalibur and waved it in the air, “Look out, mommy! The dragon is coming!”

“Oh, no,” Lois pretended to be scared ducking her head and hiding beneath her arms as she let out a, “What are we going to do?”

“I’ll save you, mommy!” Jon called out, holding his red and white painted toilet paper roll to the sky and calling out. “No one’s going to get through me you bad dragon!” He let out a fit of giggles when two arms reached out to lift him up. “Daddy, no, I’m not done fighting the dragon.”

“You’re not, huh?” Clark tucked Jon on his shoulders as he took a seat next to Lois. He lowered his voice to low rumble, “Well, then Sir Jon continue the good fight.” He reached up to set him down on the ground and reached over to place an arm around her shoulders, chuckling as Jon ran off chasing the imaginary dragon in their backyard.

Lois smiled, looking back at Clark, “Our little Jon has now entered the school of Knighthood.”

Clark tightened his arm around her and whispered to her, “Could be worse. He could be running around in a cape and underwear.”

A soft giggle escaped her lips at the mental image, shaking her head. “That day will probably come soon enough.” She looked over at Clark, leaning over to rest her head against his chest, “I saw the story on Senator Schumer you and Jimmy printed,” Lois placed a hand on his chest, “Eventful first day.”

“Something like that,” Clark muttered, shaking his head. “I hate writing about politicians. They promise their constituents the moon and then turn around and lie, steal and cheat …” He trailed off, shaking his head.

She eyed his tortured expression and murmured, “Something tells me you’re not just talking about his constituents?”

Clark shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose, “Donald Schumer is nothing but a no good philandering scumbag.” He bit his lower-lip and snorted out in disgust. “The guy is unbelievable. Uses his wife’s ailing illness as a way to sway more votes and then turns around and…”

Lois grimaced, resting her hand against his chest, “Well, I guess after that story broke this afternoon family values isn’t a platform he’ll be using in the election next year.”

“Not if he knows what’s good for him,” Clark muttered under his breath. He flashed her an apologetic smile, “Sorry.”

“Well, your day sounds much more eventful than mine,” Lois murmured, leaning her head on his shoulder and letting out a sigh. “I’m in-between the whole everything hurts stage but not quite in enough pain to not yearn for something to keep my mind busy.”

“The doctor said eight weeks,” Clark reminded her gently.

A pained expression crossed her face and she looked back at him frowning at the reminder of just how far away she was from recovery. The first few weeks she had spent recuperating she found herself relying on everyone around her to help as she struggled to find the strength to do even the simplest of tasks. The mental block combined with the lingering pain from the after effects of the electrocution she never should have survived and the DNC that was performed after her miscarriage left her in a constant battle with herself. She wanted to do so much more than what she was.

Her patience was wearing thin with the required restrictions she was on as well. She had four more weeks until her appointment with the OB that she was dreading and yet at the same time yearning for as well. Though there was no baby her body still was left recuperating after everything which meant the intimacy, they had enjoyed throughout their marriage was temporarily put in a holding pattern, creating a frustration within them both. For now, however she was content to focus on the small glimmer of hope that came with signs that she was healing.

Being able to hold Jon on her own was a tremendous feat compared to where she had been a week ago. A soft sigh escaped her throat as she nodded sadly, “I know. I guess I just miss spending the day chasing down stories with you.”

“Well, I miss working with you too,” He pressed his lips to her forehead and added in a teasing tone. “Jimmy just can’t make those skirts work for him.” Lois thwacked his chest playfully and he added in a more serious tone, “In all seriousness, he is doing well. I just prefer working with you.”

A slow smile spread across her face and she chuckled softly, “Glad to know I’m not in danger of being replaced.”

“Never,” Clark grinned back at her. He pointed over toward the swing set where Jon was running around with his imaginary sword drawn, pretending to fight the imaginary dragon. “How about we wrangle our little sword fighter over there and figure out something for dinner?”

She nodded her agreement, as she spotted Jon heading toward them with a stern expression on his face. “The dragon is sleeping.” He informed them with a tone that reminded her of the tone Clark used when he was addressing world as Superman.

“Well, thank you, Sir Jon,” Lois grinned back at him. “How about we get cleaned up and eat some dinner?”

“Pizza?” Jon asked with a hopeful tone.

“Sure, why not?” Clark relented, grinning as Jon jumped on his lap.

“Pizza!”

Michael Harris glared at the unfamiliar man across from him, looking around the deserted parking garage they were parked in as he glanced toward the locks of the limo he was seated in, wondering if this would be his last moments. It was too far to make a run for it. The gun his potential assailant held on him was too close for comfort.

“What do you want?” Harris stammered out, hearing the wavering in his own voice with a cringe.

“You’ve enjoyed a lot of perks with your new position, Mr. Harris.” The man across from him breathed out calmly. “Luxury cars and elite memberships.”

“I have a lot of partnerships with very powerful people.” Harris hissed out, looking around nervously. “People that will go to great lengths to find me if anything were to happen to me.”

“Oh, relax, Harris I’m not going to shoot you.” The man rolled his eyes.

“You’re not?” Harris winced, suddenly unsure what to do with himself after the recent revelation.

“Not yet anyway,” the man shrugged his shoulders. “We’ll see how things go.”

“How what goes?” Harris heard his voice squeak under the pressure he felt to stay cool under pressure. “What do you want? Money? I’ll have a Swiss account set up for you in an hour. Just tell me how much.”

The man chuckled, “You certainly have learned how to play the game, Harris.” His eyes grew dark and he added, “But the game is over. It’s time to pay up.”

“P-pay?” Harris stammered out confused.

“There’s a bill the House voted on last week. A bill that will make things awfully difficult to do business for my partners.” The man’s face grew grim as he stared him down. “You’re going to block the Border Control bill from passing the House. Am I clear?”

“But I can’t just change my vote!” Harris argued.

“Oh, yes you can,” the man hissed back with a dark growl. “You’re going to block this bill otherwise your sister – What’s her name, Sandra? Well, she’s going to get a visit from some very not nice people who will teach her just how dangerous it is to cross people like me.”

His face grew grim as he added with a sinister laugh. “She’s on disability, right? Car accident that left her paralyzed.” He shook his head, clucking his tongue as he added, “Tsk, tsk, tsk, Harris with all the money you’ve got at your fingertips you didn’t think to invest in a better security system for your sister? Anyone can just walk into her house on Lakewood Avenue and do whatever the hell they want. It’d be a shame if something happened to her, wouldn’t it?”

Clark let out a heavy sigh, looking down at where both Lois and Jon were curled up against him. Jon’s sleepy face was pressed up against Lois’ shoulder and her head was snugly resting against his chest. He reached over to brush a loose strand of hair from Jon’s face.

“Don’t wake him up or he’ll be fighting dragons for the rest of the night.” Lois murmured softly.

Clark chuckled, reaching over to stroke her cheek, “I wouldn’t dream of it.” He looked down where Jon was tucked securely in her arms and whispered, “I’ve never seen anything so perfect.”

He watched as a sad smile crossed her face and her hand moved to her abdomen, twisting his insides into knots at the silent reminder of what they’d lost. Try as he might, he couldn’t shake the memory of Lois’ tortured cries from his mind. He wanted so desperately to cleanse his mind of the horrific way he’d found Lois, pale and weak, struggling through the injuries and the loss.

Everything had changed in that moment.

<<“Clark, is our baby…?”

“I’m so sorry…”

“No… Please, no…”>>

Her hand brushed against his, drifting down to where his kneecap was and giving it a gentle squeeze to grab his attention. “I think he’s out. Can you help me up?”

“Yeah,” he flashed her a half-smile, helping her sit up and reaching an arm out to support Jon’s neck so as not to wake him. Lois smiled at him as he hoisted Jon up effortlessly in his arms, patting his back and turning back to Lois with a chuckle. “He’s out like a light.” He flashed her a quick smile and then whisked Jon upstairs, tucking him in bed, placing a hand across his son’s cheek, taking a moment to count his blessings as he whispered ‘good-night’ to him before turning off the light.

When Clark returned to the living room he found Lois leaned over the coffee table, skimming over the afternoon edition of the Planet—namely his and Jimmy’s article on Donald Schumer. He let out a groan when he saw the paper flipped open. “No, no, no,” Clark shook his head, pulling the paper away from her. “I’ve had enough of that guy for one day.”

“It’s a good article,” she offered with a shrug. “Even if the guy is a philandering rotten scoundrel that should be raked over the coals with pitchforks.”

“You’re mocking me,” he nodded, folding the paper up and setting it on the other side of the couch. “Go ahead. I just happen to think people should do what they say they’re going to do.”

“Clark, you may find this surprising but no one in Congress does what they say their going to do.” Lois flashed him a teasing smile. “The politician jokes are worse than the lawyer jokes for a reason.”

“Well, maybe they should start,” Clark argued half-heartedly as she looped her arms around him, hugging him as he continued to grumble about Schumer. “If Jimmy’s source is right then Schumer got there by the Churches paving the way for him.”

“If that’s true then I’m sure you’ll expose him,” Lois whispered, leaning her head against his shoulder.

“Are we done talking politics?” Clark groaned, helping her to her feet. “I can think of so many things I would much rather would do.”

A wicked grin crossed her face as she leaned against him, looping her arms around his neck and she whispered back to him, “Easy there. I’m still on a restricted physical activity order from the doctor.”

A knowing look crossed his face and he chuckled, leaning in to kiss her, knowing full well just where that invisible line was which kept him from holding her the way he wanted. He reached down for the remote to the stereo and flicked it on, adjusting the volume on the radio station it was tuned to.

Lois looked at him curiously as he set the remote back down on the table and reached a hand out for her to take, “What are you doing?”

“Dance with me,” he whispered as the commercial break came to an end and the faint chords to a familiar tune filled the air and she grinned back at him, allowing him to pull her into his arms. The guitar chords slowly picked up and the faint tune of ‘I Shall Believe’ began.

Come to me now
And lay your hands over me
Even if it's a lie
Say it will be alright
And I shall believe

Her arms linked around his neck as they began to sway to the slow tune, “I love you, you know that, right?” Her head lifted as she gazed up at him, catching his eyes in a magnetic pull that told him she needed to hear him say the words.

He reached his hand down, stroking her cheek, “I know.” His forehead rested against hers and he murmured, “I love you, Lois Lane Kent. Nothing will ever change that.”

I'm broken in two
And I know you're on to me
That I only come home
When I'm so all alone
But I do believe

His hands slid down the smoothness of her cotton shirt, tracing soft fabric against the waistband of her pants as he swayed to the music with her. He cradled her in his arms, letting out a heavy sigh as he floated them a few inches above the floor.

“Show off,” Lois grinned up at him.

“Well, I’ve gotta find some way to keep things interesting,” he cracked a smile and she leaned closer, hitting him with the faint fragrance of her lavender soap.

That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me
Please say honestly you won't give up on me
And I shall believe
And I shall believe

“Yes, it’s just so boring living in Metropolis we may start counting ceiling tiles,” she teased.

He chuckled, pulling her close as they swayed together, listening to the chords of the familiar tune. Holding her like this he almost forgot about how close he had come to losing her. The memory of how he had found her, so frail after being struck by an electrical current from LiveWire. The doctors themselves couldn’t pinpoint exactly what had happened or even how Lois had survived. The aftereffects had left her weak both physically and emotionally coupled with the grief of having lost their unborn child in the electrical assault.

He wanted so badly to wrap her in his arms and never let go. He had promised himself he would never be the one to hurt her after how close he’d come to losing her during their time on the run. The cruel words he had cut her with out of fear had nearly cost him his life with her and that solemn promise had been something he had held himself to for the entirety of their relationship once they had reclaimed their lives after Luthor had been taken into custody.

He had kept that promise until a few weeks ago when he had been forced to deliver the heart-wrenching news that their unborn child’s life had been cut short. Her hysterical cries and pleas had shaken him to the core. Though they didn’t have any definitive answers on how the miscarriage had happened he couldn’t help but blame himself.

Open the door
And show me your face tonight
I know it's true
No one heals me like you
And you hold the key

He had been the one to confront LiveWire.

He had been the one to challenge her there in the middle of the hospital without trying to get her away from the innocent patients and families coming and going through the isolated parking garage.

His own arrogance of being able to handle the situation had cost him their unborn child.

“Hey,” Lois placed a hand on his chest, looking up at him with a half-smile. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” he smiled back at her as he reached over to cup her cheek. “Just thinking about how lucky I am to have you.” A deep sigh from the depths of his diaphragm escaped his throat and he murmured softly, “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Never again
would I turn away from you
I'm so heavy tonight
But your love is alright
And I do believe

Her face softened as she gazed back at him, cracking her mouth into a smile, “Is it really that awful working with Jimmy or is something else going on?”

A sad smile crossed his face and he shook his head, “No, I…I’d be lost without you, Lois. I am lost without you. I guess I’m just kicking myself for taking each moment for granted.”

A knowing look crossed her face and she leaned up to kiss him, “I’m not going anywhere.”

“I know,” he let out a shallow breath.

“I’m right here,” she murmured, running her hand against his chest, leaning her head against his shoulder.

That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me
Please say honestly
You won't give up on me
And I shall believe
I shall believe

The heavy weight of guilt that consumed him continued to weigh him down as he cradled her in his arms. She lifted her head up, brushing her lips against his, softly at first then slowly building up with more urgency as she encircled his neck with her arms. Each caress of her lips grew more insistent, fogging his mind as he allowed himself the sweet serenity of losing himself in his wife’s arms consume him.

He should slow down.

The thought crossed his mind but his body and mind refused to allow that thought to enter his brain as he allowed himself to fall back on the couch with Lois, never breaking his mouth from hers.

They sunk down into the cushions and her hands ran through his hair, encouraging each caress as his lips smoothed their way down her throat. “Clark…” His hand reached behind her, pulling her body to his as he settled his weight on her. She let out a soft moan, “Oh, God, Clark, we’ve got to slow down,” she whispered breathlessly. “We can’t…”

He let out a shallow breath, immediately recalling why they couldn’t push things any further. “I know,” he let out a labored breath, cradling her in his arms and still not pulling himself out of her arms just yet.

“I miss you,” she murmured with a breathy whisper that teased his senses with the intimacy they both wanted – needed- but were being denied.

He reached his hand out to stroke her cheek, murmuring his own plea, “I miss you too.” His lips closed over hers before he tore them away and he resigned himself to brood over another thing the fates had robbed him of.

Present Day…

Stefan sat in the corner booth of the country club, watching the red-haired woman from the distance smile at her guests as she poured another drink for them. The jovial laughs coming from the table and flirtatious giggle rode on his nerves as he watched her. His Ingrid.

He lifted his eyebrows up as he saw her glance in his direction. Panic covered her face and he felt the adrenaline run through him, reminding him of his last encounter with her. He licked his lips, feeling his mouth go dry as she neared closer.

“What are you doing here?” she practically shouted, slamming her palms on the edge of the table.

“Ingrid,” Stefan murmured, unfazed by the sudden jolt on the table. “don’t make a scene. You wouldn’t want to draw a crowd, would you?”

“Get out,” she hissed in a low whisper, glaring at him.

“I haven’t even ordered yet.” He chuckled staring back at her with a knowing look, glancing at her nametag. “New name now, hmm? Natasha?”

“I couldn’t trust you,” she snapped back.

“I never could resist temptation,” he chuckled, reaching his hand out for her.

“Is there a problem over here?” a man with balding hairline approached them and Ingrid took a step back.

“Nothing, Mr. Travis.” Ingrid said quickly. “Our guest was just leaving.”

“I won’t tolerate anyone being disrespectful to my staff.” Travis remarked with a glare.

“Of course,” Stefan smiled, standing up from his seat. “See you, Natasha…”

Lois finished signing her name on the last document and looked over at the Daily Planet’s staff counsel who nodded her thanks as Clark gave her hand a gentle squeeze. A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she turned back to him.

“I’ll have the paperwork filed within the hour and let you know when we hear something,” the staff counsel explained, smiling as she tapped the edges of the paperwork into one another until they were all stacked neatly together.

They both offered their thanks and then Lois tugged on Clark’s coat sleeve, pulling him with her toward the exit. They reached the long corridor that split into two directions. One leading further into the building floor of offices and the other leading into the lobby where they had entered.

“So…lunch?” Lois prompted, slipping her hand inside Clark’s turning to look back at him playfully.

“Sure,” Clark wrapped an arm around her waist. “Any special requests?”

They turned the corner to where the lobby was located and Lois shrugged her shoulders, “Surprise me.”

They walked hand in hand out the rotating glass doors and stopped on the corner outside the Planet. Clark leaned in to capture her lips with his, reaching a hand up to stroke her cheek.

“I thought you didn’t like surprises?”

“Maybe they’re growing on me,” She murmured against his lips with a smile.

“There they are!” Clark’s arm tightened around her and she heard the clicking of a camera shutter and the loud obnoxious voice of Leo Nunk from a few feet away. “Care to comment on the questions surrounding your son’s paternity?”

Lois’ brow furrowed and her jaw clenched, raising her fist, ready to give Nunk a piece of her mind when Clark clamped a protective hand over her shoulder to stop her. Clark jabbed his index finger in the paparazzi’s face. “No comment. You can talk to our lawyer.”

“Lawyer?” Nunk scoffed, laughing nervously. “What’s wrong, you can’t handle the truth coming out?”

Lois bit her lower-lip, glancing back at Clark who was shaking with rage as he tightened his jaw, grinding his teeth before snapping back at him, “Just keep digging yourself deeper, Nunk. You’re only making the case stronger.”

“You know, it sounds like I hit a nerve there…” Nunk shrugged his shoulders. “Whatever sells, right?” Clark continued to glare Nunk down who nervously chuckled, “You …I have a little thing called the First Amendment that says I can do what I want cuz I’m a reporter. Maybe you heard of it?”

“I must have missed that amendment in American history,” Lois muttered with a roll of her eyes. “Maybe you should read up on that Amendment. Freedom of the press does not guarantee you the right to do whatever you want without consequence.”

“We’ll see where the cards fall,” Nunk shot back cockily, shaking his head happily, tapping his camera. “Can’t wait to see what tomorrow’s headline will be….” He called out to them as he backed away, flinching as Clark threatened to move toward him.

Lois patted Clark on the chest, grinning at him. “Remind me, who is supposed to be calming who down?”

“The guy just brings it out of me,” Clark grumbled as Lois pulled him to her, gripping the lapels of his jacket.

“He’s not worth it,” Lois muttered unhappily. She pointed to the crosswalk, “Weren’t you promising me lunch?”

“After the morning I’ve had I could certainly go for a meatball sub,” an unfamiliar voice called out as a dark haired man with curly hair approached her. He pointed at them with a camera in his hand, “You’re Lois Lane and Clark Kent, right? The reporters?”

Clark shot the man a questioning glare, “Who wants to know?”

Lois rolled her eyes, jabbing her finger in the stranger’s direction, “Look, I don’t know who you are, but you can take your camera and just turn around. We’re not going to stop printing that poor girl’s name and exposing the truth you’re so desperately trying to help hide.”

A smirk crossed the man’s face, “I know you won’t. That’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about.”

“You do?” Lois eyed him quizzically.

He pulled out a badge from his pocket and showed his identification, “Agent Dan Scardino with the DEA.”

“DEA?” Clark’s brow furrowed as he eyed the man suspiciously.

“I’m following a case I think might be connected to your kidnapping story.” Scardino flashed a pained expression. “I think we might be after the same guys.”

That caught both her and Clark’s attention as they glanced between one another and then back to Scardino. “I’m listening,” Clark ventured cautiously.

“First, let’s talk over that meat sub,” Scardino placed a hand on his stomach. “I’m famished.”

Stefan was never going to leave her alone.

They would always find her.

Ingrid tapped her hand on the brick building behind her, watching from the corner as the cars drove up the crooked path just past the sign that read ‘Fifth Street Mission.’ A bitter bile burned her throat and she looked toward the shrubbery that worked as a cover for what really happened in this awful place.

<<“Five thousand dollars as agreed upon.”

“Pleasure doing business with you, Sister Tracy.”>>

Tears burned in the corners of her eyes as she flashed back to the last moments she had just before everything had gone dark. Five years of unfettered rage had kept her going. Her first instinct had been to end it all and rid herself of this cruel world. There was only so much pain one could bear.

Shortly after her close call with death and finding herself plucked out of her captors hands by the hero she had heard so much about only to be brought back into the hands that had betrayed her she planned out her revenge. Tobias and Yusif were culpable in their abuse but they were not alone. It was here that she had experienced the ultimate betrayal.

<<“No one wants you. I saved you.”>>

<<“The forgotten girl.”>>

<<“Stick with me and you’ll become a star.”>>

The painful fragmented memories flooded her mind and she reached up to brush away the tears that trickled down her face. She felt drawn to this place and the torture that came from it. She squinted her eyes as she walked up the pathway, keeping her distance from any open areas for fear of being recognized or seen.

Off to the side, she saw her.

Sister Tracy waiting by the front door with a man that had his face turned from her, shaking the sister’s hand and tipping his hat to her.

‘Traitor.’ Ingrid thought with disgust.

Her heart lurched from her chest as he turned away from Sister Tracy and she caught a glimpse of his face.

<<“No one is coming for you. No one even knows you’re missing.”>>

<<“You’re mine.”

“Please no!”>>

<<“Another girl was found and is being prepared for transport.”

“Don’t screw it up, Yusif.”>>

She stared at the cold expression along his hard features, immediately recognizing him.

“Omer…”

TBC....

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube