Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JustMeP Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the L&C fandom. I fell in love with the show as a kid back in the 90s, but only now that I've started my second (adult) re-watch it occurred to me to look up some fics and I was delighted to find this community active (!) and dive into fandom 25+ years late. grin

I'm from the LJ / ff.net / AO3 "generation" so I find it a little hard to find my way through the index and boards, so I thought I'd try asking for some guidance and recommendations here.

I'm looking or any source that categories L&C fics by themes/tags/kinks. I would also love to know if there are any additional sources for fics other than this archive.

Specific request
I'm especially looking for hurt/comfort fics or stories featuring hurt!Clark, physically or emotionally. Sick, injured, vulnerable, unconscious, beat up, without his powers, blind, paralyzed, amnesiac - whatever it is for whatever reason. Doesn't necessarily need be angsty, and I read any ratings.

I would also appreciate some pointers to "classic" fics and notable authors. As an absolute newbie, that's the fics I simply cannot miss, your absolute favorites that you wouldn't recommend for veterans who already read them 5 times. blush

Last edited by JustMeP; 07/30/20 02:03 PM.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi JustMeP!

wave

/grins/ Clark, hurt fics, hmm?

Well, I have a few and Deadly Chakram of course loves to hurt him as well.

See below:

Delusions of Grandeur by Folc4evernaday

Injustice by Folc4evernaday

Erased by Deadly Chakram

Hate Myself For Loving You by Folc4evernaday

Eggscellent Revenge by Deadly Chakram

On the Long Way Down by Mouserocks

A Reconstructed Life Memoris of a Villain By Deadly Charkam

Enough by folc4evernaday

Shattered by Folc4evernaday

Fragments by Folc4evernaday

Hold On by Folc4evernaday

That should get you started.

Authors that should be up your alley here:

Myself - I like to torture Clark sorry not sorry - Folc4evernaday
Deadly Chakram
Susan Young aka Groobie on here
AntiKryptonite
Mouserocks

A good place to start is also the Kerth Awards:

Kerth Winners and Nominees 2016-1998

Kerth 2017 Nominees | Kerth 2017 Winners

Kerth 2018 Nominees | Kerth 2018 Winners

Kerth 2019 Nominees | Kerth 2019 Winners

Kerth 2020 Nominees | Kerth 2020 Winners

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome to the boards!

I second what Val said. She likes to hurt Clark a lot - and occasionally Lois too. Can't pick a bad fic with her. I have often mistreated Clark in my stories - Erased is physical and mental, Reconstructed is more mental, I also wrote Clark's Heart (he's sick), and House Call (a retelling of Home Is Where the Hurt Is with a crossover twist). Injustice For All is another mentally beaten/heartsick Clark story. A Farmer's Tale may not exactly fit your criteria - it's a powerless version of Clark in a more medieval world, an earlier incarnation of his and Lois' souls (along the lines of the selves they experienced in Soul Mates).

You can't go wrong with AntiKrytonite's stories. Her Lethal Qualitiesis not to be missed. Mouserocks has some delightfully dark tales. Distraught is a wonderfully dark tale and one of my favorites of hers. Female Hawk has Accused, which is more of a mental squeeze put on Clark. Not torturing him per se, but still a fun tale where Clark sweats it out for most of the time. NostalgiaKick is the queen of short, poignant stories - a lot of introspective stuff and some have a nice, brooding Clark.

The archive can be accessed Here. A few of us cross post to these boards and FF.net/AO3, so you may run into a few familiar faces/stories, if you've been reading stories over on those places.

Again, welcome and I hope to see you around the boards. Happy reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Hi JustMeP!

Nan Smith's Dagger series fits your bill. Clark has encounters with a piece of mixed green and red kryptonite that cause some distress.

Nan's stories fill the "Classic" part of your request, too. Here you can find her series guide: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/259480/Nan_Smith_Series_Guide

Be aware that there are authors out there who have written one great story, too. I guess that's a clue for the rest of us to get cracking!

Shallowford
B
Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
B
Hello and welcome
You find most L&C stories on the Archive, some you can find only onto the boards, either because they were not completed or because the authors simply forgot so send them to the Archive. You should also check out the Nfic archives if you want to, there ar ea couple of good stories you'll not find at the normal site. Then there is of course Zoomways message board, there you can find also a few fics not in the Archive, although I have to say that this is a bit... complicated so Research due to many broken links, the Problem is that the site's main Editor passed away, so it's not that organized nowdays.
Additionally, you should look through the L&C Section on fanfiction.net, both the normal andthe ossovr ection. You'll find some stories there that are not on the archve too.
As for angsty stories or those who hurt Clark (or sometimes Lois) in gegenneral, yohouldals chek outWendy Richrds and Yvonne Connel's work, both seem to have a Passion for that sort of fics. For examploe: For the greater Good, Pioson, Without Consent, etc. (Wendy) Purity, Kidnapped, Misery (Yvonne) and more... Female Hawk has written a few of those stories too, Trusting me trusting you has Elements of a damaged Clark too, or the Time to Love-Series has him badly tortured both p&m in part 4. Then the Stories by DC and F4E already mentioned. ML Thompsons "Without a Superman" Trilogy also features a badly tortured version oClark. Dandello wrote "Lois and Cl/Kal-El" which has also an injiured and nearly dying Clark. She also wrote the "Time Enough" series, one that has Clark commiting suicide finally due to his torture. Tank Wilson also loves to be mean to our main characters sometimes, too. There are more, but that are the ones I just yet can think of.

Last edited by BlindPassenger; 07/31/20 06:50 AM.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Welcome to the boards! wave

You have quite a list so far. Here are some more:

Once Bitten by Female Hawk

Aussie Rules, which has Clark meet Lois in Australia. A controlling version of Mayson is one of the villains. Mild compared to some other stories.

Both of these stories are not in the archives, so I've linked their TOCs (Table of Contents) here on the message boards.
You'll get a redirect link for each post, a quirk of the upgrades of this site.

All of Female Hawk's Stories are well-written. Trusting Me, Trusting You has both an alternate Lois and Clark having to heal.

Mobile Richard Stories

especially:

The Fugitive Series
Life in a Different World Series
Queen Lois (Clark ends up in a different alt-world than the Life Series, but gets there similarly as I recall)

One Super Child Can Change a World: A continuation of Mobile Richard's Life in A Different World

An alternate version of Part 2 of the Life Series, this one by a different author who had Mobile Richard's permission to write her version; very informative with as I recall references to child abuse, which may no longer be up-to-date (written in 2001)

Stories by Stopquitdont
There are multiple stories here, some with physical and others with mental pain; some with both

Merideth Knight's Rest and Reproduction
Lois causes Clark anguish.

Honeymoon in… Vegas By Sue S.

Chris Mulder's Love Beyond All Measure and its sequel, Dimensions of Loving.

There are still more, but all of those mentioned by others and these will give you quite a start.

You might also try the Archives' By Site Search or By Random Link for other examples. They're under the Stories Tab in the upper right hand corner. Lots of stories not mentioned here will have some pain for Clark or an alt-Clark although it may not be the focus of the story.

Last edited by cuidadora; 07/31/20 01:04 PM.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I second (third, fourth, whatever) all the nominations here. One of Female Hawk's stories that Blind Passenger mentioned is Trusting Me, Trusting You and it's a real rip-snorter. Clark has been imprisoned by Bureau 39 for years and Lois is charged with securing him. Their lengthy journeys to trusting each other - not to mention loving each other - are both poignant and painful. It's a long read, but one for which you will reap some real rewards.

I miss her on the boards. Her work was always - always - top of the line.

I hope you enjoy all of these tales.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
JustMeP Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thank you all for the thoughtful recommendations and the warm welcome! I read everything carefully and bookmarked tons of stories, all of these are definitely going to get me started and then some. I'm glad so many of you enjoy hurting poor Clark. whistle
And I just realized I never had to specify a ship because everyone share the same one, so no chance to miss out on good stories with a less favorite ship. This is fandom heaven! angel-devil

folc4evernaday
Thanks for the list! How can I find summaries for your stories? I couldn't spot it on the TOC or the first chapter.

I read a few of the shorts from the more recent Kertth Awards but haven't stumbled upon the older ones - thanks for pointing that out!

Deadly Chakram
These sound delicious! I'm pretty sure House Call is gonna be early on my reading list, Home is Where The Hurt Is is one of my absolute favorites. It took me a moment but I realized what the crossover may be and it makes me even more excited over it, as I can't begin to imagine these two worlds and characters collide but I've got a feeling a lot of cynical insults on grown men in tights are involved. laugh
You're probably right about A Farmer's Tale but for a different reason, I don't usually read AUs.

I did read some fics on AO3 but there were only a handful, and as for ff.net, well... It's ff.net. While the quality was less-awful than in other fandoms, the things I found there fell short compared to ones in the archive.

Shallowford
Thanks! You had me at "a piece of mixed green and red kryptonite". Hmmmmmm grin

There's nothing more frustrating than finding a fantastic fic only to find it's the author's only work though, isn't it? Still usually worth it.

BlindPassenger
I was wondering about the relationship between the archive and boards. Thanks for all the details!

I registered to zoomaway but I think I'll keep that for later as it does look more complicated to sort through it.
I did encounter some broken links in my searches and in some cases couldn't locate an alternative, but honestly much less than I'd expect for stories that some were written 20+ years ago.

On the other hand, the fact many stories are available in different formats and I don't need to save and convert it myself to epub is such a delight.

cuidadora
Thanks for these! As long as the links eventually work and I won't end up at dead ends mid-story I think that would be just fine. smile

Terry Leatherwood
Thanks! Sounds good and painful. I'm not a fan of complete AUs, but I do appreciate pre-series or canon divergence and the premise with Clark and the Kents worst fear unfold is intriguing. That's one thing I wish they explored more in the series, the fact everyone simply accepted Superman's existence and the government not at least trying to investigate him striked as odd.

I guess that if L&C was produced today we'd see more of that sort of things as arcs compared to the usual villian of the week, but no complaints. I mean, when they did try multi-story arcs back then it didn't end well. *insert frog emoji*

Last edited by JustMeP; 07/31/20 06:09 PM.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by JustMeP
folc4evernaday
Thanks for the list! How can I find summaries for your stories? I couldn't spot it on the TOC or the first chapter.

I read a few of the shorts from the more recent Kertth Awards but haven't stumbled upon the older ones - thanks for pointing that out!

The Kerths are a good place to start. Oh! I'm sorry I forgot to add the summaries. I always post those in the Comments thread.

Delusions of Grandeur :Set during the Season 1 episode “House of Luthor.” Clark Kent has been committed for thinking he’s Superman. Lex Luthor has tightened his hold on Metropolis. Lois Lane is missing. In order to stop his greatest enemy, Clark must face his own demons to save those he loves.

WIP: Injustice (PG-13) / Injustice (NFIC):Set five years after Delusions of Grandeur. Lois Lane finds herself and her family in the cross-hairs of a political scandal when she tries to help find a missing girl. Heartache and intrigue follow as she and Clark find themselves battling a system built to protect the innocent when it becomes obvious the system is corrupt.

Hate Myself For Loving You: Mayson Drake leaves the courthouse at the end of Lucky Leon in search of Lois and Clark and finds the couple sharing their first kiss. Distraught by her discovery, Mayson takes matters into her own hands.

Enough: Set during Season Two’s “Resurrection,” when Clark Kent discovers Dan Scardino and Lois in a compromising position at her apartment, an emotional confrontation unfolds. Lois and Clark are forced to make a critical decision that will shape both of their futures. Will they be able to see past their own insecurities in order to mend their fragile relationship?

Shattered: The first piece of the Shattered trilogy. After overhearing Dan Scardino’s request for a date and Lois’ answer, Clark is forced to make a decision that will forever affect his future with Lois.

Fragments: The second piece of the Shattered trilogy. We explore what Lois Lane’s thoughts were as she waited for Clark Kent to arrive at the movie theater on the heels of Dan Scardino hinting at his interest in her.

Hold On: The final part in the “Shattered” series. Lois and Clark both face up to their faults and have a long-awaited conversation. Set after the episode “Resurrection” in canon.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
The 'Long Road Home' series by Raconteur is one of my favs

It's not a hurt story, but 'The Man Under the Suit' by Happy Girl is one of my absolute favorites

And it's not specifically L&C, but '821' by Amelia Faulks on ff.net is out of this world amazing.

Sorry no links, I'm too lazy to build them :P but they should be easy to find.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome, JustMeP!

The other FoLCs already mentioned a lot of the classics.

Yvonne Connel certainly has a reputation for toturing Clark.

I believe, StopQuitDont's A Gft for Life wasn't yet mentioned. This one really does a number on Clark.

The greatest hits outside of hurting Clark (there's still some hurting involved on occasion):

ML Thompson wrote a wide variety of stories, including There's No Place Like Home. You really will want to check out all her stories.

Nan Smith ia a legend and her Home series is the seminal work on what happens to Clark after Lois has lived her life and Clark's all alone now in the world. Well, he does have kids and grandkids, but no Lois (yes, he hurts wink. Incidently, it was one of the last stories (series) of her's that I got to, mainly because I was so iffy about the whole concept. Yeah, I was young and stupid and didn't know any better. Now, many many years later, I've reread it several times. The first story is a vignette, it just teases the concept. Just like a drug peddler giving away tiny samples at a rave.

Wendy Richards was already mentioned. So many wonderful works.

Same goes for Female Hawk.

We've got Sue S., who's stories should be read on the dark side of the boards (nfic-section, nfic archive) to get the unabridged versions. Her Faustian Bargain does a lot of torture and hurt, too. There's also Platonic, which teaches you that 'platonic' is a Kryptonian word and means quite something else in it's native language.

Terry Leatherwood is a wonderful weaver of tales as well. His The Road Taken and the two sequels (Further Down the Road, and The End of the Road) do have a lot of plot and a lot of hurting Clark and Clark finding happiness again.

More famous authors
Kathy Brown, fair word of warning through, her stories are rather WAFFy and Clark isn't hurt in them (I think)

Labrat, and her story Masques, which does kind of torture Clark. Mentally that is.

For a good (and quick) laugh, you will want to check out Queen of the Capes. Beware of her stories published on the night between March and April.

Basically, for all of them it's hard to pick more than one story as an example without picking all of them. I know, I missed a ton of authors, many of them happen to be authors who don't torture Clark.

Umm... and in the interest of completeness' sake, my own The Wedding Crashers is based on House of Luthor and thus puts Clark into a glowy cage for a good portion of the story. And Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned deals with Clark ticking off Lois and Lois being really not nice to him. She really does screw with his mind.

CC Aiken did the vignette Something the Cat Dragged In, which is one of the cutest vignettes ever.

The Ultimate Drug, a vignette by Hazel is another must read to understand our community. There's a bunch of other meta fix out there, we probably should start a category for them.

Then we have The Unofficial Seasons 5 and 6, written by a number of Folcs in a concerted effort (including some of the names already mentioned). To me, this was the first Lois and Clark fanfiction I read.

There's also a ton of resources to help FoLCs find their way around:
http://www.lcfanfic.com/sitemap.html
* The Kerth Awards-lists have already been mentioned.
* The FAQs, highly recommended.
* The Fanfic Database. Yes, we have all our archived stories indexed and categories in a spreadsheet.

And a (really quick) primer:
Most stories are first posted on the boards (PG-side and NC-17 side, depending on content). Most authors avail themselves of beta readers to ensure their material is of the best possible quality. Many stories from the PG side are then submitted to the archvie, where they get a final polish from our editors to spot the occasional type etc. For the nfic-section, we have Anne's Place, where the archive of the adult-rated stories is maintained.

Stories are posted in a dedicated thread for each part with a corresponding feedback (FDK) thread as companion. These threads are collected in the table of contents (TOC) and many others also do a ton of cross linking to make things easy to discover. The authors really do love to get feedback on their stories.

Happy reading!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Welcome to the party! You'll love it here. I've turned into a bit of a lurker myself, but the stories are always here and more are being written.

I've only written one in which Clark is hurt/sick/injured. Unforgettable. Summary: "When Lois danced at her anniversary party, she never expected it to be the eye-opening experience it became. Now, Lois finds herself tasked with putting the pieces back together. Will Lois and Clark be able to unravel the truth, move past everything that has happened and reconstruct their lives?" As an indicator, I met Dean Cain just after finishing it and apologized for what I did to Clark in the story.

But if you really want to see Clark dragged through the wringer, I'd recommend A Reconstructed Life by DeadlyChakram as it is probably the lowest I've read Clark to be (though there are plenty of close seconds).

I think my favorite author is AntiKryptonite. Newsworthy was one of my favorites. I really like the writing style.

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
JustMeP Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Thanks everyone! I'm overwhelmed by the time and effort you put into gathering recs and guiding me around! I never expected that and my list keeps getting larger and larger.
L&C always had a very special place in my heart for most of my life. I was hesitant at first to revisit it as an adult worried it'll break the spell, and then to give up on lurking straight away and be disappointed. Happy I did both!

folc4evernaday
Thanks so much for the summaries and links, these sound fantastic!

PuffyTiger
Haha no worries! I'm perfectly capable of looking it up, I've been pampered with direct links to so many stories but I also need to familiarize myself with the boards and the archive.

Darth Michael
Thank you so much for the wonderful descriptions of the stories and authors! Some of these sound incredible. I'm trying to stay somewhat in sync with the timeline of my re-watch (mid season 2) so I'll probably get to some s3/s4 or post-series stories later on. While I remember the general arcs and specific episodes pretty well I find that I forgot some of the details or filler eps, so I like to keep my fic reading to avoid "spoilers".

I just read Something the Cat Dragged In and LOVED it! Adorable and so funny, it made me laugh out loud. I never considered all the silly, cracky possibilities. And I can't recall if we've ever seen Lois interact with pets but that's 100% how it'd go, haha.

The Ultimate Drug was funny, but I obviously missed all the inside jokes. I do occasionally write and make vids so I could relate regardless. It's been a while, but the addiction never truly dies. Especially when triggered by new toys to play with. Hmmm...

If I'm getting this right, vignette is a short/ficlet, Waffy = fluffy and WHAM = angsty? Or possibly angst + character death?

I did notice the high quality writing! I'm not a native English speaker so I'm much more tolerant for grammar errors, but can still judge the general quality.

Dandello
Thanks! Death in the the City sounds like an interesting twist on that episode.

JellyS2
Haha, now apologizing to him for abusing his character that's something! Lucky you've got to meet him. This is a *really* bad time tho look for cons, but that's another possibility that never crossed my mind.

A Reconstructed Life sounds horrible (in a good way), and Newsworthy - OUCH. I've only read the summary and first paragraph and just.. Ouch. Thanks!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi JustMeP!

You're welcome! And glad you enjoyed!

WAFF(y) is Warm And Fuzzy Feeling

WHAM is Wrenching, Heart Aching Moment (it's not necessarily a death fic, just really pulling at your heart strings in a non-happy way)

In the FAQ and Glossary (The official URL is linked in the welcome header but right now it's broken so here's the most recent backup: https://web.archive.org/web/20191222165925/http://www.lcficmbs.com/faqs.html) you will find a ton of acronyms explained.

Yes, our community does strive for excellence. But this should never stop you from posting feedback, asking questions or getting into stories. Also, there's always help from the beta readers when someone wants to tip their toes into writing. And not every author is a native speaker here, so smile

In regards to spoilers: in the archive database (and in the dedication/disclaimer and often the summary too), the authors inform the reader on which episodes a story is based on, or if it's a rewrite of all 4 seasons. Yes, some authors do several seasons worth of story in their epics.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome abroad! wave

Puffy Tiger is right, The 'Long Road Home' series by Raconteur is one of my favorites as well. Perhaps its best to save that one for the wintertime with a mug of tea. Intense!!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the mention, Michael! Makes note to self to finish the update to the Database and get it off to Lauren. I only have the Kerth nominees and winners to add in but procrastination seems to be my middle name these past few weeks. You’ve spurred me on to get it done, though.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard