Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#287341 07/10/20 10:09 AM
Pulitzer
OP Online Content
Pulitzer
This only just occurred to me, yet it seems so obvious in hindsight:

In most versions of the Superman story, Jor-El builds the rocket and Jor-El records the message on the globe/crystal/what-have-you. There was maybe one funny YouTube video poking fun at the idea that Lara didn't get to leave an AI note (specifically in MoS), but I just realized: wouldn't it make *More* sense if *Lara* was the one who even recorded the message at all?

Think about it: Jor-El is racing against time to build a rocket. At best, Lara is working with him. Which makes more sense: for the scientist to pause in his desperate work to create the message, or for the less-sciency parent to contribute in her own way by creating something to include in the ship her husband is building?

Just a thought. What are yours?

~•~
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Terrific idea! Except now we have to pay two actors instead of just one. laugh

In Superman II, there's a recorded message from Lara when Kal/Clark asks about a romantic relationship with a human female. It's a very tender and touching moment. Doesn't take, of course.

Seriously, you have a very good point. In "reality," that's probably what would have happened, assuming Krypton was not a strict patriarchal society. Remember that Nor wanted to marry Zara to become ruler and the little woman couldn't be in charge herself, so that might not apply. Besides, maybe she was better with the camera than he was.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Was it clear that Jor-el was building the rocket? The Foundling only says that Lara works by his side, not who was doing what. If he was busy on the Council and monitoring the condition of the core (and doing the search for a planet) then maybe Lara was actually the one building the rocket. Maybe she was the one with the big brain. If so, what kind of message would she have left?

Shallowford
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Interesting thougts here. I always wondered too why in seemingly every Superman media, may it bee LnC, Smallville, or the movies it seems that Lara didn't get the equal time to talk and guide her son than Jor-El Get.
Though later Lara was the contact Person for Clark in the movies, obviously because they fired the Jor-El actor.
Well, about building the rocket... In the movies it's made clear that Jor did all the science stuff, while Lara is a Historian, I think. In Smallville, Jor-El is also the scientist and was assisted by his lab tech aprentice Raya instead of Lara.
So it would have made more sense that Lara would have the more time to record the Messages, but well, both that Versions of Jor-El are arrogant Snobs who want Kal to do what they think is wright... so he may didn't gave her the possibility do record something.
As for L&C, it's hard to say. I mean, one of the main Problems of that Simulation ist that Krypton explodes while the message is still recorded. That felt always strange to me, I mean how should Jor and Lara configure the globe and save the Messages there after the planet explodes? I mean they must have survived to do so... So i assume that the Explosion at the end of the message was some sort of Simulation here. Yup, we don't know how the science was shared here, because we found out nearly nothing about this Version of Kal's parents. So the theory that Lara who is running around in the Background of the Messages is the scientist of them is not so far from making sense. Given that this Version of Krypton seemed to be a male-lead Society, this could also Play a role so Lara maybe never got the atention she earned - we don't know. But for that, there is a strange thing called fanfiction...
In case of the movies, it can be refered also to that "Father-Son-Dynamic"-Thing, a lot of People think they wanted to mirror Christian Religion.here.
Interestingly, in the Supergirl TV Show, it's Kara's mother who gets all the Attention (the AI holigram etc.) while her father, though he was the scientist and buld her ship, is rarely mentioned ans seems to be not very important in her life, at lest she often refers only to her mother instead of her parents and we learn nearly nothing about Zor-El. Just a random note here.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Edit: However, I just rememberded the Superman Animated Series.
There, Jor-El and Lara worked together on the pod. This seems to be the only Franchise where they recorded a message for Kal-El that gives them equal credit. So this Features both of his parents. (the fortress AI, rather then taking Jor-Els perosnality, is instead a modified Brainiac AI)

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard