Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I had no idea where this came from *winks* But I love it. The flow of the story is so breath taking. You can actually feel yourself there, watching them. Onto the fdk....

My GOD! This was so powerful. I loved the line here.

He allowed the guards to guide him back to his chair, hardly paid attention as they strapped him in, a sick mimicry of what was before him .
ACK!!

*Sob* OMG! Need I say more???
And as luck would have it, the car he was shoved into had housed the only substance known to man that could stop the hero in his tracks.
whinging
After a harsh, stabilizing breath he locked his gaze onto hers, determined to shove aside his own fears and take on hers. However, the look in her eyes broke his heart.
Your killing me here. God the writing is superb! whinging whinging
Silence.

Time stopped, an eternity held in a second as he strained his superior hearing for signs of another beat in the slowing cadence of her heart. Another breath. Anything to indicate that she was still alive.

None came, and hope died.
I can feel his scream on this part. Very nice. *sniff*
No… His broken plea reverberated in the air around him, ricocheting against the walls and gaining in intensity until the walls began to shake. Then he realized that it wasn’t an echo of an almost forgotten whimper, but was instead a cry that gained in intensity until finally he was screaming.

One thought entered his mind and refused to leave. She’s gone.
Oh boy...clark is going to lose it.
The sound of tearing cloth could be heard, causing him to pause long enough to look down and see that his would be captors had unknowingly succeeded in one thing, ripping away half of his shirt to reveal the familiar blue suit and part of the yellow symbol beneath.
I knew it....
“Get away from her!” The feral growl almost startled him, and it definitely frightened the cowering woman.
Oh god! I can feel the pain.Very good.
He crouched beside the still figure, realizing that his wife wasn’t just gone. She had been stolen from him, ripped away in a flurry of political campaign and revenge. The very system he had fought along side for so many years had not only failed him when he needed it the most, it had even played an unforgivable role. It had allowed this, allowed an innocent woman to die for a crime she could never have committed.
Oh my god. You write....i'm at lost for words. This is so sad and beautiful. You got talent.
The white-hot anger left him as quickly as it came, leaving only despair. He brushed his fingers against her cool cheek, the lines of her face blurring as he choked out a whimpering sob. She looked almost peaceful lying there, reminding him of more than one night he had spent just watching her sleep. Only now she wouldn’t sigh deeply and unconsciously burrow into his arms. Her brows wouldn’t furrow in retaliation to a dream, her fingers wouldn’t twitch. Her heart wouldn’t finally lull him into a peaceful sleep. He was alone.
ACK!!! OMG! mecry mecry
Lois was gone, he held no illusion otherwise. What he held now was still a part of what she had been, the cooling, seeming waxen doll of a body having once been host to the most vivacious spirit he had even known. He pressed his lips softly to her forehead.
God, Woman! My heart has shattered. This is soo good.
The man who turned his glare on the quiet crowd was neither man he had entered the room as. He would no longer be Clark Kent, and he could no longer be Superman.

He left the prison, people parting for him and his burden. People walking down the street, oblivious to what had happened gasped at the sight of him carrying his wife.

For years afterwards, the people who were within sight would recall with a mixture of horror and sadness as Clark took off, no one knowing that it would be the last time anyone except an elderly Kansan couple would see the alien.
Sooo good!
When the newly widowed reporter had turned to them all carrying his wife, Jimmy saw something that had almost made his heart stop.

Clark Kent was Superman.

Almost unconsciously he had taken the picture.
Loooove this.
Running a hand through his hair, Jimmy waited for the picture to develop. His eyes strayed toward the newspaper clipping he had brought with him. Absently a finger strayed over the headline, the one he himself had written when the real truth had been revealed. Not just Clark’s truth, but the final evidence that had proven beyond a doubt Lois’ innocence.

‘Betrayal of Justice.’
/me sucks in breath
MY GOD! This was so sad and heartbreaking. I..I..I'm at lost for words.
Clark Kent knelt beside his wife, fingers pressed against her cheek. His shirt was torn, the shreds of the one side hanging low on his arm. The symbol of the missing superhero peeking out.

However, it wasn’t the rare photo of Clark Kent exposed that drew such an emotional response from the photographer. It was the look in his eyes; the open and raw look of a man just recently lost the most essential part of himself that made it such a powerful piece.
I LOVED this story. It's sad that she died. And I know not everyone is going to like it cause a character is killed off. But that is what fic is for, and exploring other ideas.Your words are beautiful even in this fic. I love how you wrote this. Very very good job. Keep up the good work.

Rach laugh

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Okay, I'm not the one who should start this comment thread. Because, even though I can see that this story is beautiful, I'm always going to harden my heart against tales like this one. Because this is the one type of Lois and Clark story that I absolutely, absolutely can't stand.

S
p
o
i
l
e
r

w
a
r
n
i
n
g

Lois dying. That's what I've been afraid for for most of my 37 years as a Lois and Clark, or Lois and Superman, fan.

Lois dying. Lois killed. Nothing could be worse. Because it could happen out in the real world, where Superman is an important piece of property and a great financial asset. There are a lot of people out there who would like to boost Superman's money-making ability by re-starting his love life. They would like to do that by getting rid of Lois, possibly by killing her, and by subsequently pairing Clark off with another woman. By contrast, Superman won't ever really be killed. Not for real and for good. He's too good and valuable a brandname for that.

So because Lois's premature death is, to me, not only the worst thing that could ever happen in a Lois and Clark story, but also a terrifyingly real possibility out in the real world where the "official" Superman stories are written, I'm always going to harden my heart against a story like this one. Because it would hurt me more than I could bear if I didn't. And because Clark, too, is completely ruined, and in fact completely uninteresting to me, if Lois dies young. If Clark has to go on without Lois, I can't care about him. Sorry. And the reason for this is that, since Lois is a fictional character, she could never die by accident. She can only die because someone wants her to die, for one reason or another. And really and truly, I think the only valid reason anyone could have for wanting to kill Lois is that the writer thinks it's going to be interesting to explore what Clark is going to feel in that situation. But that, you see, also implies that Lois dies for Clark's sake, to make Clark more interesting. Even toying with that idea, even trying it out in an alternative reality, is too much for me. All I can do is harden my heart against it. Sorry.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Very poignant. Wow...

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Top Banana
Top Banana
This was...deep. I'm just speechless. Well written but I couldn't take another one of these endings! wallbash

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Columnist
Columnist
That was so beautiful. You're writing just makes the whole scene come alive.

I'm not one for 'killing off the main characters' stories, just because it's so sad. But that doesn't mean I didn't like it. Because I did. It was too powerful and heartbreaking not to love.

Too bad the Kerths are already in full swing. This would be perfect for under the tearjerker category.

Well I'm sure we all expect to see more from you!

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So very, very well-written, Catherine. And so refreshingly different, as well - you've had the courage to take a scenario few writers would touch and do it poignantly, chillingly, with breathtaking agony, and without once slipping into pathos or over-indulgence.

I'm reading very little L&C fic at the moment, but this sucked me in right from the first paragraph. You hooked me and I just couldn't stop reading.

This could have happened - in the badly-written premise that was DLW. (In real life, in the world of the death penalty, we know that there are years and years of appeals and delays and so on, but the scriptwriters ignored that and so you were entitled to). And I believe that your take on the subject is compellingly realistic in the scenario where it could have happened.

Congratulations on an incredibly well-written story, handling a theme many won't want to read with intelligence, sensitivity and credibility. This will definitely be on my Kerth list for next year, as will you as a New Author nominee.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Columnist
Columnist
Wow...just...wow. This was chilling, and frightening, and so very very sad. I have no problem whatsoever with reading fics that involve character death because let's face it...it's fanfiction, which means they are never gone for good. We can always write another fic in which they are happy, healthy and content.

So kudos for exploring something that isn't usually done in this particular fandom. I found Clark's reactions to be right on, but what I enjoyed most about it was that her death wasn't random. You didn't kill just Lois and you didn't kill her off just to see what Clark would do. I think we all know how Lois' death would destroy him, so that part of it is no surprise (though it's written beautifully). What you did kill even more importantly was Clark's sense of security...his sense of justice and his sense of right and wrong.

These are things he was raised with and taught to believe would always win out. He was taught that justice would always prevail and has never used his powers to interfere with that process (well except for during the heat wave, but you get my point).

Two very precious things died for Clark in this story and you showed both of them beautifully, poignantly and tragically.

I loves me my angst! wink

whinging

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Wendy is correct. Just because I don't want to read stories of that nature is no reason not to write them, as there are those who will.

I must point out, however, that there is a WHAM-warning thread here for a reason. Since Catherine is new here, I don't want to jump on her, but it should be pointed out for future stories.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow. That just blew me away, Catherine. I had my (non-scrolling wink ) hand over my mouth as I read Lois' execution unfold, hardly able to believe it myself. Absolutely loved their almost-wordless interactions. I thought it was very true to the characters.

Very interesting theme, so poignant and well-executed. I applaud you. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I look forward to more of your work.

I must point out, however, that there is a WHAM-warning thread here for a reason. Since Catherine is new here, I don't want to jump on her, but it should be pointed out for future stories.
I'm somewhat new to this place myself, so apologies if my understanding is wrong, but since Catherine put a WHAM warning in her Disclaimer before the story itself, isn't that enough? I thought, as per Wendy's first post, that the thread was "where authors may post WHAM warnings, 'broken toys' reassurances etc, rather than including them at the start of their story (emphasis mine)."

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
True. But I don't even like to open such stories. Call me neurotic, but such an idea really bothers me (silly for fictional characters, I know ...)

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just stepping in with my admin hat to clarify the WHAM warning thread: Chris has it right. Because some authors dislike giving away parts of their plot openly at the beginning - and some readers dislike being spoiled - authors may post a warning in the WHAM thread rather than at the beginning of their story. Either is acceptable.

It's always been the understanding here that disclaimers/warnings at the start of stories, or the use of the WHAM warning thread, are voluntary. Authors usually do give warnings, though, out of respect for readers' feelings, and Catherine did say this right at the top of her story:

Disclaimer: I own them not. However, I didn’t put them back as I found them. Consider this your WHAM warning as well.
Having read the story, I think this seems perfectly adequate as a spoiler/warning. Maybe you didn't see it, Nan?

And edited to add: although I stepped in to clarify the policy (as we do have a number of new authors here now smile1 ), I wouldn't want Nan or anyone else to think that I'm not sympathetic to those who prefer not to read, or even start to read, deathfic. What we try to achieve with this voluntary approach to warnings is to arrive at a compromise which goes as far as possible to meeting everyone's wishes.

Wendy smile
Boards Admin Team

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm not reading much at the moment either, but I've recently realised that you're a name to look out for, Catherine <g>, so when I saw this had been posted I couldn't resist checking it out.

Deathfic isn't generally the first genre I'd look out for, as most of it is unbearably maudlin and angst for angst's sake, I've found over the years.

But there are always exceptions - many of which have made it into my favourite stories list over the years and this one definitely has to join them.

You've written a very powerful vignette here. Downbeat, yes. Tearjerker, yes. But using such beautiful language and stunning dramatic tension and perfectly pitched, never dropping into maudlin, but deeply emotive.

You're notching up some marks on my Kerth list for next year, girl. laugh

Brava!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I agree that is was necessary to have the poorly written television episode in order to have this story 'work' as it couldn't have happened that way in the real world.

Still, having said that I think that, as presented, the story powerfully depicted Clark's desperation and devastation. We don't ever really see Lois' POV but then, this is about Clark's destruction (even though it's Lois death).

I would like'd to have seen a denoument that showed us Clark/Superman's final public denouncement of the political system which caused his wife's unjust death and the statement that a world which allowed such a thing to happen no longer deserved the protection a Superman could provide. It would have been more dramatic than just having him disappear.

Also, it wasn't quite clear if Jimmy was the one who was finally responsible for clearing Lois' name, and how long after the fact it actually took.

Sad, but powerful.

Tank (who wonders how far a certain district attorney's polictical career went after this debacle)

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Wow, Cat. That was... fantastic. Better than fantastic. I haven't had a chance to read a lot lately, but I'm glad this was pointed out, because... wow.

Surprisingly, the part that really struck me, that I found to be the most... personal, wasn't Clark watching Lois die. It wasn't Clark jumping forth and breaking through the plexiglass and craddling Lois, it wasn't the realisation that what he believed in had let him down, it was the end, from Jimmy's POV. Years later, having only just developed the film... and... wow. *That* part really got me. Because, in essence, he watched three friends die that day, and it'd haunted him for years.

Maybe it's because we learn of Clark's fate through Jim. Maybe it's because that's a position I can relate to better. Maybe it's because it's so purely tragic... I know it was absolutely brilliant though. To make it from Jim's POV. It was the perfect way to show the tragedy of this piece without bitterness, without guilt... just the pure tragedy of lives destroyed. Brilliant.

Dave (who didn't cry - and yes, please do take that as a challenge. <g>)

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Columnist
Columnist
I know I already posted, but this story has kept me thinking all day. It was just so sad. frown Wonderful but very sad.

I know the story is wonderful and I wouldn't want it to change. But it really had me thinking about what happened afterwards. Catherine did allude to the fact that Superman disappeared and Clark spent all his time in Kansas. She also said that they finally realized Lois was innocent. It just had me thinking about what the city officials and the whole of Metropolis thought about Superman's disappearance. Did they feel guilty? Did they feel the need to change their system? And how could that cafe owner live with himself knowing that he turned them in? What kind of affect did this big revelation and downfall to the judicial system have on everyone and their faith in justice?

I don't know if anyone else thought anything along these lines. I'm probably over-analyzing. But this story was just so powerful that I couldn't get it out of my head. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a continuation. I think that may ruin the effect of the story. I just want to give a big thumbsup to Catherine for such an incredible story!

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm going to be truly, truly unreasonable here. Again, sorry. Consider yourselves warned now, if you don't want to read this.

But.... Heaping so much praise on the very, very worst kind of story I can think of.

Deathfics are the worst kind of Lois and Clark stories I can think of. Deat-of-Lois fics are, for me, the very, very worst kind of deathfics. Now, if you heap so much praise on a death-of-Lois story, maybe many others will be really inspired to write one too. Maybe the death-of-Lois stories will become one of the most important subgenres of Lois and Clark fanfiction. Maybe there will be so many stories about a bereaved Clark that a lot of people will feel the need to pair poor Clark off with another woman, just to cheer him up a bit.

In the end, this site, devoted to Lois and Clark, won't be needed any more. Because there will be too few stories written about Lois and Clark to matter. There will really only be two kinds of stories written: the "death of Lois" stories, and the "new love for Clark" stories. And then we can close down this site.

Yes, that was totally, totally unreasonable. Still, that is how much it bothers me to read a story where Lois is killed. And that is how much it bothers me that a story that kills off Lois gets this popular.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
oh my word. ihad read it at least three times and it tore my heart apart. this is the best story i ever read. my heart goes out for Clark.

I hope that Clark will heal and live cause this is killing him so bad.

I wonder where he went to. And what he's going to do with Lois's body.

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Heaping so much praise on the very, very worst kind of story I can think of.
Ann, while I understand that this story is not to your taste, and you are perfectly entitled not to like it, I have to put on my administrator's hat again and direct you to the boards FAQ . In the section on posting feedback , you'll find the following:

always be polite in your comments, and always be constructive with any criticism. Try to balance criticism with praise for the aspects you liked - and you can almost always find something to praise. If you genuinely can't think of anything good to say about the story, perhaps you're better off not commenting.
Your last post actually comes about as close to a flame as I've seen in the fanfic section for a long time. Whatever your own views on a story may be, please remember that other people have as much right as you have to their opinion of the story. Telling other FoLCs that they shouldn't like a story, that they shouldn't post positive feedback and that they shouldn't praise it is simply not acceptable behaviour. I hope you'll consider this post and the FAQ and edit your previous post.

Thank you.

Wendy
Boards Administration Team.

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Features Writer
Features Writer
Originally posted by TOC:
...Deathfics are the worst kind of Lois and Clark stories I can think of. Deat-of-Lois fics are, for me, the very, very worst kind of deathfics. Now, if you heap so much praise on a death-of-Lois story, maybe many others will be really inspired to write one too. Maybe the death-of-Lois stories will become one of the most important subgenres of Lois and Clark fanfiction. Maybe there will be so many stories about a bereaved Clark that a lot of people will feel the need to pair poor Clark off with another woman, just to cheer him up a bit...
TOC,

Granted, I did write this piece to be emotionally impacting. However, I chose the scenario I wrote carefully. It wasn't just the death of Lois I wanted to tell, and to me that was only secondary, instead it was a betrayal towards Clark himself. All of his life he had believed in the Justice system, had fought for and beside it with little thought for himself. He had nearly left Metroplois because of it. Even when he saw the unfairness it could have, he never once lost faith.

I said before that the point of the story isn't the death of Lois. Granted it seems that way with how I wrote it, but really the main purpose here is as the title indicates. The betrayal of the Justice system towards Clark in taking away the only thing more important to him, with the possible exception of his parents. Should Lois have been killed during a stakeout or in pursuit of a story or some other fashion, yes he would have grieved, yes he would have been torn apart, but he would have been able to go on. However, its my personal belief that that had things gone the way they did in my story, he would have been lost. I believe its because of this, not the death of his wife, that is the reason this story has recieved as much feedback as it had. (If I'm wrong here, someone please let me know)

As for my writing this just to make Clark more interesting, I have to disagree. Many people probably don't agree with me, but LnC's version of Clark Kent is perhaps the most interesting version of the 'normal' side of the Kryptonian. Granted I haven't read much of the comics, but in much of what I've seen in other versions Clark Kent was more the shadow, while Superman was the dominant persona. Here, the two are more balanced if not tipped in favor of the reporter.

Anyhoo, I hope that clears up my intentions with the story. smile

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Actually, Wendy, I'm not going to edit my post. But I definitely have to make a few clarifications myself, and I also need to apologize.

Catherine, you are an excellent writer. Your stories, with the exceptions of this one, have blown me away. (I was unable to really read this one, because of its subject matter. I could only skim it.) What makes you such an amazing writer is your ability to use such to-the-point, seemingly unsentimental imagery and to make the sort of little observations which, when seen in the proper context, become so perfect that they almost overwhelm the reader.

And because you are such a truly great writer, how can I blame anyone here for liking your stories? For liking this story? I can't. Even though I couldn't really read this one, as I said, I have no doubts that it is heart-wrenchingly moving. The people out there who aren't as paranoid as I am about seeing Lois killed - which is probably pretty nearly all of them - will inevitably be extremely moved and touched by your story.

I don't think I misunderstood your intentions, either. I don't think you are interested in killing Lois for Lois's sake, so to speak. Like you said, you had Lois killed here in a way that would break Clark's heart. That's what your story was about.

But to me, the concept of Lois and Clark should mean that it is Lois and Clark's togetherness that should be explored. Also, I want to see them treated as equal partners. It seems to me that in this story, Lois is reduced to some sort of tool that you can use to explore Clark's feelings. And that way, I think, the story isn't about Lois and Clark together, but about Clark.

Wasn't your first story just like that? No, to me that one was very different. We have no reason to expect Lois to be immortal, or to stay young and healthy for an unnaturally long time. Exploring what happens in the future, when Lois has inevitably died of old age, is, to me, a legitimate way of exploring the necessary ramifications of a relationship between Lois and Clark. But killing Lois when she is still young, just to see what her premature death will do to Clark, is something I can never accept.

Does that mean that no one else should want to read such stories? Should death-of-Lois fics be banned from these boards? Of course not. Like Wendy said, everyone else most certainly has the same right to their opinions as I have. Catherine, of course you weren't wrong to write this story. All of you who wrote in and heaped praise on it, you were in no way wrong to do so. Of course not!!! It goes without saying.

Maybe I was wrong to write in and say how much a story with this kind of subject matter horrifies me. Well, sorry. It does horrify me, and I won't take it back.

Well, I posted this before I was really done with it. I promised I would apologize, and I didn't. Catherine, I'm sorry you had to bear the brunt of my horror, when I really should have posted a general comment about deathfics and death-of-Lois fics in the Lois and Clark-related general discussion folder instead. And, to all of you out there who felt I criticized your taste in Lois and Clark fiction: I was out of line. Sorry.

The next time anyone posts a death-of-Lois fic, I will follow Wendy's advice and say nothing at all.

Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard