Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
Oh wow. I've just read this entire act in one go, it's so good. What you've done is fascinating, and a real show of skill that they are still so clearly recognisable as themselves - the same tendencies, the same mannerisms, the same base instincts, yet so utterly warped by what almost seems a single character trait inverted in each. Johnathan's steadfastness becomes impulsivity. Martha is unable to forgive. Perry is weak. Jimmy is proud. Luthor is ... well, human. Clark is ... umm, not. But, you know, not in the usual way. Lois is the only one that doesn't seem completely reversed - her negative characteristics are emphasised, rather than reversed (or at least that's how it seems to me).

This is a very uncomfortable - but insanely addictive and brilliant - read. Can't wait to see where it leads!

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
wave Hi, Bean!
Originally Posted by Bean22
Oh wow. I've just read this entire act in one go, it's so good.
Wow! Thank you so much!

What you've done is fascinating, and a real show of skill that they are still so clearly recognisable as themselves - the same tendencies, the same mannerisms, the same base instincts, yet so utterly warped by what almost seems a single character trait inverted in each. Johnathan's steadfastness becomes impulsivity. Martha is unable to forgive. Perry is weak. Jimmy is proud. Luthor is ... well, human. Clark is ... umm, not. But, you know, not in the usual way.

Haha! Thanks again! I found it really important to not flip their characteristics entirely on their heads, but just twist them slightly until it's clearly not the same as canon. They're still sort of the same people, but not. Like it's an alternate universe-- which it is, kinda.

Lois is the only one that doesn't seem completely reversed - her negative characteristics are emphasised, rather than reversed (or at least that's how it seems to me).
Lois was the most difficult character to write. She's a little bit on the fence, a little ambiguous as to which way she'll go. I didn't want to make her so overtly different, as we're watching her make decisions throughout this story that will irrevocably affect her perception/personality. It kind of puts her in the protagonist position, and (I hope anyway) makes her decisions seem less flip-floppy and more of a struggle. Long story short, I didn't feel the need to flip one of her characteristics other than making her more selfish than she is in the show, and possibly more indecisive. But I'm glad that comes through still. laugh

This is a very uncomfortable - but insanely addictive and brilliant - read. Can't wait to see where it leads!

Yay! My job here is done! (Wait, what do you mean I still have 41 chapters left to go? Rats.)

In all seriousness, I'm glad you're enjoying the ride. It is a bit uncomfortable (it was to write, too) but I can promise it's a fun ride. Thanks so much for your comments, and the next act has already started posting! Enjoy!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally Posted by RJS
She looked to him in surprise. "I didn't know you were from Kansas."

Clark felt his pulse jump unexpectedly— he hadn't meant to reveal that little tidbit. How did that slip out of his mouth? He was always so careful... what was it about this woman that had him opening up so much? He wanted to just come straight out and ask her, see if she felt the same about him. But instead, Clark cleared his throat and tersely answered her. "Uh, yeah. I don't like to talk about it much."

Lois' eyes glanced over him as he stood uncomfortably still beside her. He felt like somehow she was reading his soul, that every shadow and dark piece to his past could be puzzled together by her if only she looked long enough.

"You don't really have any trace of an accent."

"Thank you," he replied a bit too quickly, dismissing her comment.
What accent? I've seen this in other stories and wonder what accent?

Hi, RJS! wave Thanks for your question! In the show, Clark doesn't have any distinguishable accent, which is what I'm referring to here. Jonathan does have a sort of Southern drawl, and even Martha at times, but Clark does not. I chose to make the lack of an accent apply to his character in this fic universe. Plus, people tend to make generalized assumptions about people from specific parts of the country depending on where they're from. Lois learning that Clark is from Kansas like this could make this question pop into her mind, whereas in the show, she knew where he was from at the start, and therefore maybe never thought to ask. huh All in all, just a little throwaway remark to show how much Clark wants to hide his past. Glad you caught it! Thanks for your comments!

--Mark Twain
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
I really love this story so far I start chapter 19 now xx I love to a bad boy Clark

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally Posted by LadyTpower
I really love this story so far I start chapter 19 now xx I love to a bad boy Clark

Hahaha, thanks! I see you did make the jump from fanfic.net to here... Smart choice, as I'm like 50 chapters behind on posting over there... peep

Glad you're liking it so far! DarkClark was a lot of fun to write... so much fun in fact that I've got a sequel officially in the works. Provided the muse cooperates. She's skittish. But hey, as long as it gets finished in less than three years, I'll be happy. Hopefully sooner though.

Happy reading!

--Mark Twain
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard