Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#280134 04/27/18 08:03 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
You can find part 1 here.

If you have any fdk, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!
Tracey smile

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
There is so much to explore about this wonderful new story, I cannot figure out where to begin.

First of all, welcome back to the fandom!

He’d just nodded; for this conversation, he’d have preferred to be someplace less public, like his apartment or maybe hers, but she was working and he knew she couldn’t go far. So… Centennial Park it was. At least they’d gotten out of that sterile, soulless building Luthor owned. From the second Clark had set foot in the lobby, he’d felt like he’d been choking on the superficial arrogance of the place.

Exactly! That was my impression of the place! No character at all! You nailed the description of LNN perfectly.

I love the way Clark asked her out on a real date! He stood his ground and fought for the woman he loves rather than give in and have that awful conversation with her later as Superman. No, he told her what she needed to hear. For one night he was not going to share her with the rest of the world, nor were they going to talk about Lex. It is a pity he didn’t do that in the show.

Listening in on Lois’s thoughts on the way home and in the apartment made sense. She was putting all the pieces together about how Lex was manipulating her. Hopefully she’ll put the rest of the story together.

Oh, I am so looking forward to reading this story. Again, welcome back! smile1

Last edited by Morgana; 04/27/18 10:07 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Columnist
Columnist
I am loving this. This is more how it should have gone at the end of Season 1. I liked how we heard Lois' thoughts and how she even began to think about Lex's evil deeds. I am looking forward to the next part.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hey, Tracey!

Thanks for dragging us back here!

I enjoyed this, particularly seeing Lois's thoughts on Lex and everything. It's something that never really made much sense on the show, so it's fun to explore.

Looking forward to reading about the actual date!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Features Writer
Features Writer
Welcome back!

And I too am loving your story so far. I agree with Morgana that your description of LNN beautifully describes how I saw it, too. clap

Thank you for having Lois be more aware of what's going on and how she's being manipulated! Nice to see the award-winning investigative reporter using her skills in her personal life. thumbsup
I hope that Lex is in BIG trouble if she puts enough pieces together to awaken "Mad Dog Lane"!

Looking forward to reading more.

Cheers hyper ,

Last edited by cuidadora; 04/28/18 02:17 PM. Reason: typo

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
This looks great! I've enjoyed your other stories on the archive and am really looking forward to this one!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Bonjour Tracey,
Welcome back to the LnC fandom! I really enjoyed all your stories in the archives, and I’m so glad to read another one. smile1 And, besides what a treat, a fic which was Beta-ed by KathyB and FDK-ed by Kaethel who both were among my favorite authors! Bliss.

I love variations on BatP/HoL wink and yours is VERY promising… I love how your Lois awakens to some self-awareness, and the fact that you circumvented her very awkward meeting with Superman. Having Clark asking her out is a great try, but it could end on heartbreak for him...

Talk about sudden! And every date they’d ever been on had been formal, almost like he was courting her. Dinners, operas, banquets and events… good grief, she’d never even seen him without his suit and tie, and she was supposed to be thinking about spending the rest of her life with him? She was so mad at him for rushing their relationship!
She’s beginning to see the light… Obviously, this period of thinking (“Lois sat on that park bench for a long time after he’d gone.”) did Lois a world of good.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the shrill ringing of her telephone. She glanced over at it; she really didn’t feel like talking to anyone right now… but what if it was Clark?
Lex checking on her after a panicked employee-spy from LNN phoned him, babbling excuses and the like for failing to control Miss Lane? And mentioning that Miss Lane was last seen talking to someone called C. Kent?

Well, she wouldn’t go that far, Lois thought; she’d been interested, sure, but she’d also felt a more than a little overwhelmed and out-of-place. At first, she’d been happy to be around the news again, but after a while, she had started to ache for the newsroom at the Planet. That was where she belonged. LNN had felt like trying on an expensive dress; beautiful and sophisticated, but not quite her style, and definitely not something she wanted to wear every day.
<Lightbulb lighting up>

There was a surprised pause on the other end of the line. Lex Luthor obviously wasn’t used to hearing no.
No, he isn’t. I imagine she’ll realize it soon enough.

“Good night, my dear. Enjoy your evening.”
said Lex. He immediately called Mrs Cox, and demanded that the goon hidden near Lois’s building would be alert watching her every move.

tbc
Oh, yeeeees, please. Looking forward for more.
Greetings from France!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love it! More, please! =D

~•~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love how her subconscious is making sure she's got the perfect outfit while her conscious brain is in turmoil.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Tracey. I'm excited to read your story.
She was trying to turn it back around to partnership; she was trying to salvage them and give him an out. He loved her and hated her for it at the same time. She knew where he was going his impassioned speech.
and
By calling her on it, he knew she’d take him seriously. There would be no misunderstanding here. He’d put it out there: Lois, I know what a sharp, perceptive woman you are. I’ve watched how you read people. I know you are completely aware of how I feel about you.
The first thing I liked about this beginning was Clark's frame of mind. We get to see in his thoughts that he knows Lois so well. He sees her unconscious tactics to turn everything he says around into partnership or platonic friendship, but this time, he doesn't let her.
She was about to say something else, he could tell, but he interrupted her before she could. “Then do something for me. A favor.”

She closed her mouth, and whatever words had been on the tip of her tongue vanished. “A favor?” she repeated.
Yes! He doesn't let her get that awful, selfish, tactless reference to talking it over with Superman out.

Lois's introspection was interesting and appropriate. I like how Lois thought through all of her relationships. It's very logical for her to be afraid of a relationship with Clark.

She wasn’t ready to go down that path with another co-worker, and she definitely wasn’t willing to let one of her relationships become fodder for the gossip mill again. It didn’t matter that the Planet was gone; Metropolis was one big, citywide, gossipy newsroom when it came to the journalism business. The news that she and Clark were more than partners would’ve been all over the Metropolis Press Club faster than Superman could fly across the horizon.
This makes sense when she's thinking about Clark. It might be nice to see Lois apply the same logic to her relationship with Lex. She just accepted a job working at him and was at the very least dating him. Why doesn't Lois see the drawbacks or the potential rumors that would accompany getting the job just because she was dating (or married) the boss? How does she think becoming the wife of the 3rd richest man will affect her? Her life will be public with media and tabloid scrutiny or rumors daily.

But wait, wasn’t she the suspicious type? She was an investigative reporter, for goodness’ sakes! True, Lex had never done anything to make her uneasy, but wasn’t it her business to see beyond the external? What had she told Clark that one time – to “rip away the veil of secrecy and expose the naked truth”? And logic told her that Lex hadn’t made it to the top by being an especially nice guy to everyone he met. He had to have some skeletons in his closet.
Ha! You are screwed now, Lex Luthor! I love, love, love that Lois realized how ridiculous Lex's marriage proposal is given how long they've been dating and how well they know one another. I'm super excited to see what Lois does with her suspicion that her troubles and Lex's involvement at the Daily Planet coincide.

I liked how she discounted every one of her own reasons for not dating Clark.
Truly, instead of finding lots of convincing reasons why he shouldn’t love her and why they could never be together like that… she’d only confused herself more. Because the more she thought about it, the more it seemed like Clark Kent might just be…

Good for her? What she needed?
Yes, Lois. Go with that one. smile1

Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved the stronger, more inquisitive Lois. I especially liked her 'discussion' with herself about her 'date' with Clark. In a very short period of time she went from 'Not my type' to 'Good for her, just what she needed'. If she had more 'discussions' like this with herself in the series she might have avoided many of the issues she had in the last part of Season 1 and first part of Season 2.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Kerth
Kerth
clap Yay! Welcome back, Tracey!

I really loved this first chapter. I think it's a very unique request of Clark's and it'll hopefully be enlightening... both on how Lex really is and how she really feels about Clark.

Loved Clark's headspace when he was getting ready to break the news to her. Nervous, excited, knowing exactly how Lois was going to react.

Can't wait for part 2!

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks, everyone, for taking a moment to comment! I know how busy people are, so it means so much that you all stopped by to leave a little feedback.

There is so much to explore about this wonderful new story, I cannot figure out where to begin.

First of all, welcome back to the fandom!

Thanks, Morgana - for both the compliment and the welcome back! This fandom will always hold a special place in my heart, in the same way the show itself does.

I love the way Clark asked her out on a real date! He stood his ground and fought for the woman he loves rather than give in and have that awful conversation with her later as Superman. No, he told her what she needed to hear. For one night he was not going to share her with the rest of the world, nor were they going to talk about Lex. It is a pity he didn’t do that in the show.

I'm glad you liked him asking her out. I mean, that scene in the park - hasn't everyone re-written that scene in a dozen different ways in our heads? 'Cause we know that Lois isn't really thinking this one through - she's in that scared-of-how-much-he-really-means-to-me phase (plus, she has been slightly blinded by a superhero in a cape - half of that is Clark's own fault, though wink ) I really wanted them to have at least one more evening together.... and my mind went from there. So that's how this story was born!

I am loving this. This is more how it should have gone at the end of Season 1. I liked how we heard Lois' thoughts and how she even began to think about Lex's evil deeds. I am looking forward to the next part.

Thanks, CarrieRene! I enjoy getting inside both Lois and Clark's heads... but you guys tell me if it's too much introspection! I also wanted Lois to think through her 'relationship' with Lex. I always thought she was way more accepting in the show than she should have been!

Hey, Tracey!

Thanks for dragging us back here!

rotflol I'm glad that I could, Anna! Thanks for leaving some fdk! Just like old times, right?!

Welcome back!

And I too am loving your story so far. I agree with Morgana that your description of LNN beautifully describes how I saw it, too. clap

Thank you, cuidadora! I'm glad that you found the description truthful. And thanks for the welcome back!

Thank you for having Lois be more aware of what's going on and how she's being manipulated! Nice to see the award-winning investigative reporter using her skills in her personal life. thumbsup

Yes! I always wanted to her to be more suspicious of Lex. I mean, he was a powerful businessman... and she's investigated a bunch of men like him in her career! Wouldn't it make sense that she didn't take his philanthropist act at face-value?

This looks great! I've enjoyed your other stories on the archive and am really looking forward to this one!

Aw, thank you, PuffyTiger! It's so cool to hear that you've read my other stories - glad you enjoyed them! I hope you enjoy this one, too!

Welcome back to the LnC fandom! I really enjoyed all your stories in the archives, and I’m so glad to read another one. smile1 And, besides what a treat, a fic which was Beta-ed by KathyB and FDK-ed by Kaethel who both were among my favorite authors! Bliss.

Thanks, Millefeuilles! So happy to hear that you enjoyed the other stories I've written. And yes, Kathy and Kaethel are some of the best - both as writers and as people. I was so lucky that they both had some time to read and help me out with this story!

Lex checking on her after a panicked employee-spy from LNN phoned him, babbling excuses and the like for failing to control Miss Lane? And mentioning that Miss Lane was last seen talking to someone called C. Kent?

Haha, yes! That Lex Luthor seems to know everything, doesn't he?

I love it! More, please! =D

Thanks, Queen! I will post more soon!

I love how her subconscious is making sure she's got the perfect outfit while her conscious brain is in turmoil.

Should give her a clue, shouldn't it? Um, Lois, gee, you might feel a little more for him than you think you do... wink Thanks for leaving some feedback, AmyPrime! Appreciate it.

Hi Tracey. I'm excited to read your story.

Hi BJ! Thanks for reading! I've been reading some of your stories on the archive - Kathy pointed me in the right direction! - and I've really been enjoying them! You are a great writer.

This makes sense when she's thinking about Clark. It might be nice to see Lois apply the same logic to her relationship with Lex. She just accepted a job working at him and was at the very least dating him. Why doesn't Lois see the drawbacks or the potential rumors that would accompany getting the job just because she was dating (or married) the boss? How does she think becoming the wife of the 3rd richest man will affect her? Her life will be public with media and tabloid scrutiny or rumors daily.

Ooh, and this is why FOLCs are the best readers! You're totally right. I will be sure to add in a paragraph or two about this before I submit the final draft to the archives. Thanks so much for the suggestion - it makes perfect sense!

Yes, Lois. Go with that one.

LOL! Yes, hopefully she will wink

In a very short period of time she went from 'Not my type' to 'Good for her, just what she needed'. If she had more 'discussions' like this with herself in the series she might have avoided many of the issues she had in the last part of Season 1 and first part of Season 2.

So true, Mike! She just needed to think things through a little bit! Oh, and thank you for making my TOC for me - I'd forgotten we did those! I've been out of the loop for too long.

Yay! Welcome back, Tracey!

I really loved this first chapter. I think it's a very unique request of Clark's and it'll hopefully be enlightening... both on how Lex really is and how she really feels about Clark.

Thanks, Mouserocks! It's nice to be back to post this story. I'm glad you think the premise is unique - isn't it cool that we can still find new ways to write about our favorite show? I love the creativity of this fandom.

You all have been wonderful! I can't thank you enough for reading. Part 2 is coming up!

Tracey smile

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Oh I love this! So far I much prefer your version of things. Can’t wait to see what happens next.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard