Print Thread
#279909 04/11/18 08:54 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Rules of Guilt
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 10

Clark stared down the barrel of the gun, preparing for the worst as he fought against the burning pain that seared through his ligaments in his shoulder. The shock of what was happening weighted on him as Ryan Wiley cackled happily. “Not so cocky now, are you?”

Clark caught sight of the ten humvees that were now surrounding the truck from behind, holding his shoulder in pain as he steadied himself. Wiley cocked the trigger, and Clark winced, preparing for the worst. There was no way the humvees would arrive before the final shot rang out. He prepared himself to sum up what super-speed he could to move out of the line of fire in his weakened state.

“Of all the people that wanted you dead I’m the one that gets to fire the final shot.” Wiley laughed.

A shot from behind him fired and Wiley fell to the ground as Clark stood up, holding his injured shoulder. Before he could react, four soldiers had already surrounded the truck and kept the injured Wiley at bay as he cradled his injured knee. “One man down!” He heard a voice crackle over the radio.

“Keep your hands where we can see them!” the voice of the General came from the megaphone on the first Humvee.

“Unauthorized shots fired!” Another voice crackled over the radio.

He looked to the side and spotted Sean McCarthy and Diego Martinez making a run for it up the hill. Two more shots were fired, and they both fell to the ground. He looked behind him and spotted Dan Scardino lying on the ground with his arm extended and the pistol in his hand.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” He muttered under his breath.

“Scardino! I thought I ordered you on Administrative duty!” He heard Agent Richards tear into Scardino as he reached down to help him up.

Clark smiled, turning his attention back to the truck where the convicts were being lined up and read their rights. Three injuries. Two surrenders.

He winced, holding his shoulder and looking at it with a grimace. He’d have to make a stop by STAR Labs to have Dr. Klein take a look at his shoulder. He kept his hand clamped over the gunshot, trying to hide the blood from the team of agents and soldiers that were now combing over the area with a fine tooth comb. He had to get out of here.

“Superman!” He turned to see Lois running toward him, worry in her eyes as she approached.

“Ms. Lane, how did you get here?” He heard one of the FBI agents ask, blocking her from entry. “This is a federal matter. We’ll have a statement for the press at…”

“Would you cut it out?” She snapped irritably. “I’m not here with the press I’m…”

“But...”

“Let her through,” Clark interrupted, walking up behind the agent who seemed intent on keeping Lois behind the yellow perimeter and barricades that were already being set up. The agent snorted, looking back at Clark’s stern expression then nodding and moving to another of the agents and pointing in their direction as Lois climbed under the yellow tape to meet him. “What are you doing here?”

“What happened out there?” She asked, not answering his question. “You fell to the ground when he…”

Clark grimaced, looking around to be sure no one was close enough to them that their conversation could be overheard. “Uh, where did you park?” He asked, keeping his tone as level as he could at the moment.

She seemed to understand what he was hinting at and nodded, “I’m in the grass down here.” She pointed to the sign where the road split into two different directions.

“I’ll walk you.” He said evenly, taking a deep breath and following her toward the Jeep. “You never answered my question.” He reminded her in a low tone when they were out of earshot. “What are you doing here?”

“I thought I could help.” She said, avoiding his gaze. “And I didn’t have much of a choice.”

“What do you mean you didn’t have much choice in the matter?” He asked, between uneven breaths as they turned the corner to where Lois had parked the Jeep. The silver Jeep Cherokee never looked so good.

“I mean…” She stopped when she turned to look at him. “Clark, you’re sweating. What the hell happened out there?” He staggered forward, and his hand fell down, revealing the blood-soaked stain in the shoulder of his costume. “Oh my God, you’re bleeding!” She gasped, looking at him in surprise.

“I know.” He said, trying to shrug it off. “I’ll be fine. I just have to get the…”

“Hold on,” Lois helped lower him to the ground then wagged her finger at him. “Don’t move.” She pulled her pocket knife out of her pocket and flipped open the knife. “Hold still.”

He should have yelled at her for once again running headfirst into a dangerous situation without looking, but right now the pain from the Kryptonite in his shoulder outweighed his anger at her. He let out a muffled grunt, feeling the burning sensation disappear. He watched Lois take the bullet and wrap it in a cloth from her purse, “I’ll be right back.” She said before disappearing behind the bushes.

He let out a sigh of relief. The pain was gone. He stood up, holding his hand over his shoulder in relief. He glanced over his shoulder, sighing in relief when he saw the wound heal before his eyes. That was a good sign.

“Superman, you okay?” He looked up and saw Agent Scardino hopping toward him, supporting himself on one of his crutches.

“Fine,” He said, crossing his arms across his chest in hopes that the position would make the blood on him less noticeable. His shoulder still ached from the Kryptonite, but he was no longer in constant pain. “Agent Scardino, right?”

“You’ve heard of me?” Scardino flashed him a smile.

“I’ve heard your name mentioned a time or two,” Clark said, doing his best to keep his emotions in check. Even though he still didn’t like Scardino the man did stop Wiley before he could get off another deadly shot. “Uh, thank you for your help back there.”

“Sharpshooter every year.” Scardino boasted proudly. “I’m glad I was able to help.”

“Okay, I think we’re all set,” Lois said, walking back with a satisfied grin.

“Thank you, Lois,” Clark said, meeting her gaze. “Although, I still think you would have been safer back at the Planet...away from danger.”

“Don’t give Ms. Lane too much grief. I had to bait her to get her to give me a ride out here. I’m not much for sitting on the sidelines.” Scardino interjected.

Clark glanced at Scardino with a look of disbelief. “You might want to be more careful about who you’re roping into your adventures, Agent Scardino. You could have gotten yourself or Ms. Lane killed.”

“True, but then I wouldn’t have been around to save you.” Scardino pointed out. “See? Win-win.”

“I think it’s time we head back,” Lois interjected. She glanced toward Clark, “Are you going to be okay?”

“I’ll be fine. Thanks again, Lois,” He then turned to Scardino and shook his hand, “Agent Scardino.” Afterward, he took off into the sky, flying back to where General Reynolds was to see if there had been any luck in finding the locations of the missing soldiers.

Bill Church Jr. took a whiff of the orchids placed on the coffee table in front of him and cringed. “You know I never was one for the perfume scented flowers.”

“That’s because your taste and mine are very different.” Diana Stride said, pouring herself a glass of wine as she spoke. “So, Bill, it’s been awhile.”

“Yes, it has,” He looked around the luxurious condo decorated in the finer things. “You’ve made good use of your time away from Intergang.”

“It’s not time away, Bill. I’m retired.” She reminded him.

“You don’t retire when you work for Intergang.” Church reminded her.

“Look, whatever it is I’m not interested.” She cut him off before he could begin to explain.

“Oh, I beg to differ.” Church took a 8x10 glossy photo from the folder in front of him and handed it to her. “Ring any bells?”

“Nice hood.” She joked. “Couture?”

“He's one of ours, turning state. The DA's calling him Mr. X, but you know him... as Michael Disanto. Your former partner.” Church said casually. “I’ve got guys on the inside trying to find the safehouse. We’ve got two weeks to get to him before this leaks out to the press.”

“I’m not sure what this has to do with me,” Diana replied coolly. “Michael and I haven’t been an item since our split in ‘86.”

“Michael has information he’s willing to tell everyone. Information about you, Diana.” Bill Church Jr. narrowed his eyes at her, folding his hands in front of him as he spoke. “You remember how you got all this?” He waved his hand toward the apartment behind him. “If we don’t find him and silence him, he's going to tell the Grand Jury everything he knows. How we plucked you out of nowhere and made you a world famous journalist. So you could meet the rich, the powerful...and kill them for us.”

“All right.” Diana waved him off. “I’ll dust off my contacts in the bureau and see what I can dig up.”

“That’s my girl,” Church said with a broad smile.

“This is my last job.” She called after him.

“That’s what they all say.” Church shrugged.

Diana pursed her lips looking at him with a pout, “You know I can’t stay on forever, Bill.”

“You’re still of use to us.” He reminded her. “After Michael’s been taken care of we’ll work something out. I can’t afford to let go of a good soldier right now. Not after today.”

“Yes, I heard about that. It’s a shame about that drug being confiscated.” Diana shook her head. “Could have come in handy for torturing.”

“Yeah, Gables turned on Swinson. I didn’t see that one coming.” Bill Church mused with a scowl. “We’ll have to find another way of getting our hands on the Omega virus.”

Stanley Gables sat with his attorney at the table, waiting patiently for the ADA to return with his plea deal. He had been so close to realizing his dream and insighting revenge on Metropolis, but Albie had ruined it all. Albie had turned against him. He wouldn’t see Intergang prosper from his labors. Given his already morbid future of impending death from the Omega virus, he didn’t see the harm in turning Albie over to the authorities and confessing his crimes. With the way the law was, he knew he’d never see the inside of a jail cell given his terminal illness.

“Mr. Gables?”

He looked up and saw Mayson Drake standing in the doorway. “Ms. Drake, have you reached a decision.”

“I have,” She smiled back at him.

“Excellent,” He beamed back at her. “Where do I sign?”

“Oh, no, there’s not going to be a plea deal.” She corrected him.

“What?” He looked at her in surprise.

“See, the compassionate release program is only for those criminals we feel are no longer a danger to society.” Her eyes narrowed at him. “We don’t think you fit that criteria, Mr. Gables.” With that, she spun around and walked out the door. “See you at trial, Mr. Gables.”

Clark landed on the balcony outside his apartment and let out a sigh of relief to be home. It had been a long and trying day. After the arrest of Wiley and his gang of resurrected convicts, they were able to get the location of the missing soldiers from McCarthy in exchange for having his involvement in his latest terrorist act tried in civil court and not a military court-martial. General Reynolds had agreed, and the DEA had taken charge from there.

By the time he’d gotten back to the Planet, Lois had already left for the night. Most of the afternoon had been spent providing his statement over and over and over again to the officers doing the intake on the latest threat to national security. Thankfully they’d been understanding when he had to leave to attend to rescues nearby, but by the time he was done giving his statement, it was too late to do his nightly patrol. Most of the city appeared to be sleeping anyway—even the criminals thankfully.

They’d found the missing soldiers in Lucky Leon’s old warehouse along with information on Leon’s original plan to steal the warheads for Intergang. There was an invoice from a very familiar name he’d have to update Lois on in the morning. The soldiers were expected to make a full recovery. He had found them hooked up to an IV with some kind of drug that was keeping them all unconscious.

He closed the balcony door behind him and spun out of his suit and into a t-shirt and shorts. He smiled to himself when he heard the familiar heartbeat coming from the living room. He sighed, moving to the couch where he found Lois fast asleep curled up with her notes on the resurrection pill in one hand and the remote in the other.

He smiled, peering over the couch to look at her. “Oh, honey,” He ran a hand across her cheek.

Her eyes fluttered open sleepily and she yawned, “What did you just say?”

“Honey,” He repeated, running his hand down her jaw. The corners of his mouth twitched into a half-smile.

He watched her face light up in amazement as she stared back at him, having set down her notes and the remote and turning to face him, leaning against the back of the couch. “That's the first time you ever called me that.” Her eyes twinkled at him.

“Yeah, it is.” He grinned at her.

“Say it again.” She cheered happily, the fatigue in her voice was long gone as she looked back at him expectantly.

“Honey,” He whispered, leaning in to kiss her cheek.

“That’s amazing!” She giggled happily. “I like it.”

“Yeah?” He leaned in to kiss her.

Her hands ran up his shoulders, and her lips met his enthusiastically as she murmured against his lips, “I never thought of myself as a ‘honey.’”

“Really?” He teased, running his hand down her shoulders. He moved to join her on the couch, wrapping his arm around her.

“Seemed like something so....foreign.” She said wistfully, leaning her back against him.

“Foreign?” He asked confused.

“Well, like something that was for a housewife or school teacher...not that there’s anything wrong with being a housewife or teacher. It’s just not me.” She began to ramble then stopped letting out a yawn and gave him a sheepish smile. “Sorry.”

“It’s after midnight.” He pointed out.

“I wanted to make sure you were okay,” She mumbled in between a yawn.

“I’m fine, really.” He reassured her. “Come on, you should probably head home and get some sleep.”

“I know, but I’m so comfortable…” She yawned lazily, lifting her head up from his chest to look at him.

“You want me to fly you home?” He asked as she rested her head back against him.

“That requires moving.” She giggled lazily, “and I’m not really a fan of doing anything right now that requires moving.”

“Fair enough.” he nodded, running a hand down her shoulder. “You can stay the night if you want. I’ll make up the…” He could tell she was already starting to drift in and out of sleep as he heard the even breathing against his chest. “Lois?”

He readjusted himself, so his feet were on the ground then maneuvered her so he could lift her up comfortably without waking her. He then carried her into the bedroom and laid her on the bed. He pulled the covers over her, leaning in to kiss her forehead when her eyes fluttered open. “How’d everything go?” She mumbled sleepily.

“You’re supposed to be sleeping.” He whispered, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

“But if you don’t tell me I’m gonna keep waking up and asking you.” She smiled at him, her eyes fluttered sleepily as she tried to stay awake.

“It’s several steps to the living room. I think that goes against your whole moving theory.” He pointed out.

“True.” She reasoned aloud. “Too many steps.” She scooted over on the bed and tugged on the hem of his shirt, pulling him toward her.

“Lo-is…” He chastised, stopping himself from falling completely on top of her.

“You’re avoiding the question.” She yawned sleepily, reaching over to pat the other side of the bed. “How’d it go?”

“You’re exhausted. You’re not even going to remember this in the morning.” He pointed out, rolling over, so he was on his back as he laid next to her.

“Maybe, maybe not.” She said sleepily, curling up against him, so her head was on his chest. “Much better.” She giggled.

“Uh-huh,” He chuckled, giving her a look of disbelief.

Her hand ran over his shoulder where he’d been shot that afternoon. “What did Dr. Klein say about your shoulder?”

“There were a few shards of Kryptonite in there that he had to remove but the wound seems to be healed, and there are no lingering effects.” He said, running a hand down the middle of her back as he spoke.

“That’s good.” She said before letting out a yawn. “And the missing soldiers? I kept the news circuit on, but they never had any updates…”

He smiled “We found all the soldiers in Lucky Leon’s old warehouse along with a very large supply of the Resurrection pill.” He reassured her, running his hand down her vertebrae as he spoke, “My thought is they were going to use it for something big. There was a name on Lucky Leon’s desk that might interest you though. Nichol…” He stopped when he heard the even breathing from her and looked down to see she had fallen asleep in his arms.

“Goodnight, Lois.” He whispered, leaning in to kiss her and then smiling to himself before adding, “Honey.”

Nigel moved down the long corridor, weaving through the underground subway-like second nature. He reached the corner where the tunnel veered off into a hidden area closed off by a steel door. He punched a code into the numeric lock and grinned when he heard the clicking sound of the bolts being released from inside the mechanisms. He wandered inside, finding himself in the familiar surroundings where a man was plugged into the power strip on the wall and had several machines hooked up to him.

Nigel typed in the handheld computer, watching as a light green glow emitted from the man’s chest. He checked the numbers on the computer and smiled before turning his attention back to the computer in his hand. “Repairs are looking good, Gretchen. I’d say he should be ready for a test run before the end of the month.”

Gretchen’s voice rang through the phone in his hand. “Any word from Lex?”

“Nothing so far. I’ve been playing the part of the villain.” He smiled into the phone and chuckled, “How easily I was able to convince Mr. Church I’d turned on Lex was astonishing.”

“Well, once Intergang’s out of the way Lex can take back control of his old territory.” Gretchen soothed. “I’ve just about finished setting up shop here. Interesting meeting with a gentleman from Omni Corp. It seems he doesn’t trust Intergang either. That’s one thing you can say about Lex. He had a reputation of keeping his word.”

“Yes, a rarity among criminals,” Nigel said, turning the dial on the machine in front of him. “His stats look good, Gretchen, but I’m not sure about the power supply he’s on.”

“I’ll be back in town next week.” She soothed. “I’ll take a look then.”

“Hmm, so soon?” Nigel asked.

“Well, I can’t have you doing all the work now can I?” She asked. “We should be ready for the final takeover soon. Metropolis will rue the day they turned their backs on Lex Luthor.”

Lois sighed happily feeling the warmth from the bedroom's window creeping on her face. She squinted, trying to allow her eyes to cooperate while fighting the fatigue that still hung over her. She was still exhausted. She looked up, seeing the familiar decor of Clark’s bedroom and grinned happily, recalling falling asleep in his arms last night. She lifted her head from his chest, seeing the relaxed expression on his face as he slept. His arms still hung loosely around her waist.

She smiled, patting his chest for a moment before sitting up in bed. It wasn’t the first time he’d spent the night with her, but it was the first time he’d still been there when she woke up. Was this what it would be like? Being married to him? Waking up with him?

She felt a tightness in her abdomen, putting a stop to that train of thought. All she’d done for the last few days was think and think and think some more about Clark’s proposal—inbetween tracking down terrorists that is. She knew she loved him. She didn’t doubt that for a minute, but after everything she’d gone through with Lex and her history with her parents’ marriage falling apart, it was hard to trust that that would be enough. Four months—almost five—since they’d started going out and true she’d begun to see the man behind the cape and the boots, but there was still something keeping her from giving in and saying ‘yes.’

<<"I love you, Lois. I always have and I always will. I told you before I want forever, and I want it with you.">>

<<“I'm not talking about the partnership. I'm talking about us. I've been in love with you for a long time. You had to have known.”>>

<<“What do you want, Lois?”>>

<<“Lois Lane... Kent?”>>

<<“I…”

“Lois…”

“I... can't.”>>

<<“Lex after everything you've done how could you expect ... ?”

“Yes, I've done terrible things. But I did them for you. Provoked by the blinding light of your beauty.”

“I’m not going with you.”>>

<< “I know things didn't turn out exactly as planned, but…”

“Why? Doesn't every woman dream of a wedding like this?”>>

<<“What’s wrong, Superman, afraid I might be right? The great Lois Lane in love with your greatest enemy. Tsk Tsk Tsk. A hard pill to swallow, isn’t it?”

“How about the truth? That seems to be the pill that’s hard for you to swallow, Lex...I never loved you. I was manipulated by you. There’s a big difference. I know that now.”>>

<<"I love you, Lois. I always have and I always will. I told you before I want forever, and I want it with you.">>

It wasn’t about trust. It wasn’t about love. It was about her own fears and doubts that continued to plague at her. Every relationship she had had ended in disaster. Committing to a lifetime and ending it with the dreaded D-word scared her, but the possibility of losing Clark scared her even more.

She caught sight of the clock on the nightstand and let out a muttered curse. She was going to be late. She still had to stop by her apartment to get changed. She swung her legs off the side of the bed, preparing to stand up only to have two strong arms pull her back, “Where are you sneaking off to?”

She smiled, looking back at Clark who had messy bedhead hair as he leaned in to kiss her. “I still need to stop by my apartment and get dressed.” She explained, feeling his arms tighten around her waist as his lips brushed against hers. “We’re going to be late.”

“Probably.” He chuckled, moving his attention to her jawline. “But we did just bring in a big story with plenty of material for follow-ups, so I’m sure Perry will understand.”

“Yes, but I still do need to get changed, shower, and eat breakfast…” She summarized half-heartedly, pulling away from him.

“Okay,” He nodded, looking up at her as she stretched her arms over her head, “I’ll pick up some breakfast and meet you at your apartment.” A playful grin crossed his face, and he added, “Maybe next time you plan to spend the night you should pack a bag.”

She pursed her lips at him, “I didn’t plan to spend the night.”

“Uh-huh,” He gave her a dubious look. “Not buying it, but for the record, you can sleep here anytime you want. You don’t have to pretend to fall asleep.”

“I wasn’t pretending.” She smiled at him. “I do have a key you know.”

His smile broadened, and he added with a knowing look, “Yes, you do.”

Lex Luthor stared at the darkened cell door in front of him, contemplating his next move. He’d heard of the recent prison escape by a few lowly criminals. How they hadn’t anticipated getting caught in their plans was beyond his comprehension. Creating a new identity and establishing a way to avoid being caught should have been their first priority. Instead, their greed and ability to be controlled by the elusive Intergang made them fail before they’d even made it out the door. A mistake he himself knew all too well.

He had failed himself, and by association, he’d let down those that looked to him for guidance. Nigel and Gretchen were both still in the wind. He hadn’t heard any updates from either of them on whether the money transfer had gone through before Bender had turned himself in.

Bender. There was another sore subject for him. His trusted attorney had stabbed him in the back in exchange for witness protection. His latest attorney, Barry Barker was as ruthless as they came, but he lacked a certain class about him that Lex had enjoyed during his relationship with Sheldon Bender.

“Luthor!” The cranking of metal against metal grated on his nerves as he saw the cell door open. In the doorway one of the guards stood, waving his baton in his hands as he spoke. “You got a visitor.”

Lex did his best not to react, standing to his feet and moving down the corridors as he had been told to. This was his life for now. The time would come when he could plan his escape from this hell, but until then he would have to play the good soldier and fall into line. His day would come though. He would reclaim everything that was once his...even Lois Lane. He’d made the misstep of making her think she had a choice in the matter. He wouldn’t make the same mistake again. Next time she wouldn’t see him coming. Next time Superman wouldn’t be able to interfere. Next time was what kept him going.

The large metal door opened and he smiled, seeing the elderly gentleman sitting at the table. “Hello, old friend,”

Nuclear Disaster Diverted!
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent

Lois looked over the front page of the Daily Planet with her and Clark’s by-line. Another front-page article for Lane and Kent. Shortly after breakfast this morning, Clark had gotten a call for help and had to leave. She hadn’t even gotten herself a cup of coffee before she’d found herself lost in thought again. Four words. Four simple words that held so much meaning.

<<“Will you marry me?”>>

<<“What?”

“Nothing. Just admiring the view.”

“I think you’re looking in the wrong direction, Farmboy.”

“No, I’m not.”>>

<<“I know we've had our ups and downs these past months, but I want you to know how much I love you...how much I need you. Every day I wake up, and I still can't believe how lucky I am to have you in my life.">>

“Looks like another Kerth win to me,” Perry said, peering over her shoulder.

“Or two.” She said, pointing to the article on Stanley Gables’ arrest. “I still can’t believe he thought Mayson would cut a deal with him.”

Perry nodded, shaking his head, “I’d give my set of gold-plated Elvis spoons to know what makes a guy like Gables tick.”

Lois sighed, running a hand through her hair, “That’s the way it is today. Everybody sees themselves as a victim.”

“How’s Mayson doing?” Perry asked, looking at her in concern.

“Fine. Glad the DA’s office isn’t pursuing a deal with Gables.” She flashed him a smile.

“I’ll say,” Clark said, walking up behind her and setting a cup of coffee in front of her. “Morning,”

She flashed him a smile, taking the cup from him gratefully. “Morning,” She took a sip of her coffee, looking up at him over the rim of her mug.

“Kent?” Perry checked his watch, “A little late to be rolling in. It’s nearly ten.”

“Yeah, I had a…”

Before he could come up with another lame excuse, she knew he was wracking his brain for Lois interjected, “Well, he had a last-minute interview this morning with, uh, Bobby Bigmouth. We’re trying to see about picking up where we left off last week on our investigation into Nigel St. John.”

“Uh-huh,” Perry noted, looking between the two of them before clearing his throat, “Any, uh, leads?”

“We might have a few,” Clark said, placing a hand on her shoulder as he spoke.

“Well, good.” Perry nodded.

“Chief, publisher’s on line one!” Jimmy called from his desk, holding the phone away from his ear.

Perry grunted, “Oh, what now?” He moved past them and headed into his office to take the call.

Lois laughed, shaking her head, “Never a dull moment around here.”

“Yeah,” Clark smiled at her.

“So, how did everything go?” She asked, pointing to the monitor that showed Superman holding up two bank robbers and floating them back to the ground.

“Nothing too bad.” He said, perching himself on the edge of her desk. He gestured to the newspaper in front of her, “Admiring your handiwork?”

“Our handiwork.” She corrected. “Perry thinks this one will bring in another Kerth next year.”

“Yeah, but whose name is going to go first?” He teased.

“Mine of course.” She grinned back at him, recalling the conversation they’d had so long ago after his departure during the heatwave last year.

“Of course,” He chuckled, sharing a look with her. She felt her stomach flutter as she stared back at him. So much had happened in the last forty-eight hours since their return from Hawaii.

His proposal still weighed heavily on her mind-even more so after seeing him shot down in cold blood by Ryan Wiley. Every day he put himself at risk. More and more people were discovering the existence of Kryptonite which put him in more danger. Was that something she could live with? Knowing that every rescue he went on, he might not come back?

She fingered the end of his tie and smiled up at him, “So, I was thinking…” She began cautiously as he leaned toward her. “Maybe if we don’t have any disasters pop up we can pick up that conversation we left off on the other night.”

A smile crossed his lips, and he murmured, “Of course, I would love that.”

“Hey guys,” the intrusion of Dan Scardino pulled them apart.

She sighed, tucking a strand of hair that had fallen across her face back behind her ear. “Agent Scardino, shouldn’t you be on a plane?”

“Yeah, funny thing,” Scardino said, pulling a chair up as he held one of the crutches in his hand. “My boss in Washington was so impressed with my work yesterday he’s decided to push through a transfer to Metropolis.”

“Transfer?” Lois could see Clark’s face crestfallen as he stared at the DEA Agent. She knew Clark didn’t like Dan Scardino, but the man had saved Superman yesterday, so maybe he wasn’t all bad. “Well, I hope you like excitement cuz there’s never a dull moment.”

“Sounds like it’ll be right up my alley.” Scardino flashed her a smile, “I’ve gotta go check in, but I thought I’d share the good news with you two. I’m sure our paths will cross from time to time.”

“Great,” Clark forced a smile and Lois reached over to place a supportive hand on his arm. Dan Scardino grabbed his crutches and began hobbling back to the elevators. Clark groaned, “We were so close.”

“Maybe we won’t have to work with him that much.” Lois reasoned.

He glanced at her, grabbing the stack of files on her folder. “Are you forgetting the follow-up we have to do on the resurrection pill?”

“Oh yeah,” Her face fell.

“Everyone gather around, I’ve got an announcement to make,” Perry announced, waving a piece of paper in his hands. The newsroom quieted down, and they turned to Perry. “Now as you all know we’ve had quite a bit of success this past year. Our subscriptions are up forty-five percent from last year. That’s fifteen percent higher than the Metropolis Star mind you.”

“Is there a point to all this?” Kathy interjected. “We heard these numbers last week.”

“Yes, there is a point,” Perry said, waving the paper in his hand. “All of the stories and hard work pay off when we have one of our own recognized for their hard work.” Lois’ eyes widened when she saw the blue paper in Perry’s hand. The blue paper with the familiar lettering for the prestigious Meriwether Award.

“The candidates for this year’s Meriwether Award for Journalistic Excellence have just been released, and the Daily Planet’s very own Lois Lane and Clark Kent are among the nominees.” He looked to Lois and Clark with a twinkle in his eye, “Congratulations you two.”

A light applause filled the room, and Jimmy walked up to them cheering, “Congrats you guys! I’m sure you’ll knock ‘em dead.”

“Thanks, Jimmy,” Lois said, doing her best not to appear overly excited. Afterall, last year they’d been nominated but never made it past the final vote.

“Top of the notch writing you two,” Perry praised them as the crowd of congratulating colleagues dispersed. “The committee would have to be out of their minds not to give you the nod.”

“Thanks, Perry,” Clark said, taking the extended hand Perry had offered to shake.

Perry patted him on the shoulder then moved on, “Jimmy, where are those photos from this morning’s robbery?”

“Right here, Chief!” Jimmy held up the 8x10s in his hands for him to see.

“Bring them in my office and let me have a look.” Perry waved for him to follow.

Lois swiveled in her chair, turning to face Clark, “So second time’s a charm?”

“Maybe so,” He smiled, running a hand down her jawline. She stared back at him, feeling her stomach do somersaults as she stared back at him.

<<“A date?”

“Several.”

“What makes you think I would want more than one date? What if it ends badly.”

“Not possible. We’ve already spent the last two hours proving how very right the end of any date would be.”

“Aren’t we full of ourselves?”

“Very.”

“Okay. After all, this mess is cleared up …. A date.”

“Several.”

“Whatever.”>>

<<“Just think about it, okay?”>>

<"If Clark makes you happy then take a leap of faith.">>

<<"So talk to him.">>

<<"Are you really going to let a great guy slip away because of how screwed up our parents are?">>

“Clark?” She fingered the end of his tie.

“Yeah?” He looked back at her, and she could feel it hit her like a wave. Every doubt and fear that continued to plague her. Every relationship that had failed and hardened her as she had closed herself off from the rest of the world.

“I love you, you know that, right?” She managed to say weakly.

“Yeah,” He smiled, cupping her cheek. “I love you too.”

She smiled back at him, mentally badgering herself for not being able to say what was weighing on her mind. “So, a Merriweather nomination. That gives us two weeks to show them why we’re the best. Think we can track down Nigel in that time?”

“We can give it our best shot.” He grinned, leaning in to kiss her.

~ The End

Read “Rules of the Game”

Comments Go Here

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
it is interesting

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard