Wrong Place, Wrong Time, Wrong Clark TOC can be found Here

Where we left Lois and Clark back in Part 226

Clark knocked softly on her door. “Lois?” he called, opening her door a crack.

She lay in her bed, reading a novel. Seeing him, she lowered her book and smiled.

So far, so good.

“Wow. You’re back soon. I didn’t expect you for another hour, at least,” she said, setting her book on her bedside table.

Soon? He had been gone for over an hour, hadn’t he? She must have been teasing him.

Lois stretched out her hand to him. “Did you come to kiss me goodnight?” she asked.

He took her hand and brought it up to his bare chest, unable to speak the words in his heart.

Sure. Kiss goodnight. Yeah. One could call it that.

Her hand started to caress his chest, breaking the spell, and he shivered in anticipation.

“You poor fellow. It must be freezing outside,” Lois said, scooting over. “Why don’t you warm up next to me?”

She didn’t need to ask him twice.

Clark slid under the covers and pressed his lips to hers as his arm glided over the satiny cloth of her navy negligee.

Navy. Darker than his uniform. Lighter than black. The very color of the midnight sky.

Oh, God, give him the strength to be patient.

“Bad night?” she asked, between kisses.

“What?... No.”

Lois moved back slightly. “You seem a bit nonverbal.”

She wasn’t ready. Okay. He pulled back his desire. His hand glided up the silky material to the spaghetti thin strap over her shoulder. “I’ve been thinking about this teddy all night,” he admitted.

Amongst other things.

“You peeked!”

“I did not!” Clark said, sitting up.

“Then how did you know what it looked like?” she asked.

“I happen to have an active imagination,” he said in his defense.

She pointed at him. “You knew it would be blue, didn’t you?”

“Had no idea. Thought it might be maroon, actually,” he murmured, his finger tracing the neckline.

She reached down to the hem. “I’ll just take this off then.”

“No!” he gasped, staying her hand. “I like the navy.”

Lois smiled.

Vixen! She knew he was going to stop her.

“It’s not technically a teddy,” she corrected, lifting the covers to show him her leg. “More of a nightshirt, see. Teddies are shorter.”

His focus shifted to her long leg, partially covered by the dark material. “So I’ve heard,” he murmured.

“From whom?”

“It’s a figure of speech.” He moved his hand to her thigh.

“It’s lead lined,” she said.

What? He recovered quickly from her joke. “Don’t tempt me to test that.”

“Would you like to?” she asked.

He answered her question by placing his mouth to hers.

“Clark?” she went on as he started kissing down her neck.

“Hmmm.”

“Tell me about the woman you almost married.”

Part 227

Clark’s mouth stilled on her neck. “Now?”

Lois curled up one knee to her chest and rested her cheek against it. “Did you have some place better to be?”

No, he exhaled without actually saying the word. He made sure that his warm breath blew across her chest. “You do recall that tonight is about your pleasure, right?” he countered instead.

“Emotional intimacy is more powerful than physical intimacy,” Lois said. She leaned forward and murmured, “I’ve even heard it makes the physical better.” She set a finger on his chest and moved it downwards to the waistband of his pajama bottoms.

“What do you want to know about Lana?”

“Lana?” she echoed with such interest that his back stiffened. “Was that her name?”

He nodded.

Her brow crinkled in thought. “What was your mother’s name again?”

Martha. Clark cleared his throat. “Lara.”

Lois nodded. “Lana. Lara.”

He had never noticed the similarities before. In his defense, he hadn’t known his birth mother’s name while he and Lana dated.

“What did she look like?” Lois asked.

“Petite with long blonde hair,” he answered, his voice rough.

“Blonde, huh?”

He shrugged. Lana couldn’t help what color hair she was born with.

“Wait. Lana or your mom?”

He recalled the image from the globe in the Kents’ bedroom. “Both, actually.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Just a coincidence!” he insisted, more forcefully than he liked. “Lots of women are petite blondes.”

“I’m not,” Lois replied.

He smiled, reassuringly. “And I love you.” He had never met a more desirable woman. He liked that Lois rarely reminded him of Lana.

“Lana?” Lois repeated. “Lana. Lana.”

He wished she would stop saying her name.

“Why does that name sound familiar?”

Clark decided to come clean. “Hank’s wife.”

She tilted her head. “Hank?”

“The man who shot Trask.”

“Oh.” She bit her bottom lip as she fit the pieces together in her mind.

“You met his wife at the Smallville Corn Festival,” he reminded her. “The one with all the kids. Her eldest is…” He cleared his throat and removed his hand from Lois’s thigh. “—Wayne Irig’s granddaughter.”

“Right!” she said, snapping her fingers and pointing at Clark. “Her name was Lana, wasn’t it? Hank’s wife, not his daughter.”

Clark nodded.

“You said that she reminded you of someone. Was it your fiancée?”

He nodded again.

“Is that why you felt sick to your stomach?” she asked. “Because seeing her reminded you of your ex-fiancée?”

No. Besides the fact that he had been exposed to Kryptonite and suffering a lack of his powers, he had just learned that this dimension’s Rachel had died violently on prom night, because there had been no Clark Kent to be her date. He swallowed and looked down.

“Did she look like your Lana?” Lois probed, her eyes narrowing.

“A bit,” he admitted. “Hank’s wife was happier and loved her kids. The woman I knew didn’t laugh, and she didn’t want kids.” My kids at least.

Lois reached up and caressed his cheek, a sad expression on her face. “But you did?”

“Still do,” he admitted, glancing away.

He took a deep breath with his eyes closed, trying to push Lana back into his past where she belonged. It had always hurt whenever Lana had reassured herself that because of Clark’s origins they couldn’t reproduce. As if the mere thought of having his child was repugnant. As if knowing that she couldn’t get pregnant by him somehow made it okay to have sex with him. As if she were a prostitute and he was merely a client she didn’t want to service, but had to. Sex with Lana had turned from proof of their shared love, of her love for him, to something he avoided whenever possible. Subconsciously, he must’ve known that there was no real love there.

Clark opened his eyes and focused on Lois. “I often dream of being part of a large family,” he went on. “— after being on my own for so long.”

Lois raised an inquisitive eyebrow. “How large?”

“I don’t know. Three or four kids would be nice.” Maybe more.

Her eyes widened and her voice cracked, “Four?”

Maybe less.

He took her hand in his and brushed her lips with his.

Her eyes were still closed and a dreamy expression remained on her face afterwards, encouraging him to kiss her again. After a minute of fulfilling that need, he cleared his throat and scooted back slightly so that their legs were no longer touching. “How about you?”

“I never wanted kids,” she said, before smiling and tousling his hair. “Until I met you.”

Who knew that talking about having kids while sitting half-naked on a bed could be so utterly erotic? He wanted nothing more than to pull Lois towards him and prove biology wrong, prove Lana wrong, prove Herb wrong.

Luckily, Lois supplied the needed icy bath. “How did you meet?”

“In school. She was beautiful and bubbly, and I was young and horny.” He shrugged.

Lois nudged his shoulder. “Oh, so you don’t go after beautiful and bubbly anymore?” she asked with a chuckle.

“Eh. Beauty is over-rated and boring after a while. Bubbles pop. I want someone who pushes my boundaries, makes me think, and is pleasing to look at.”

This earned him a pillow to his face.

He laughed. “Hey! That was a compliment!” He lifted his arms to block the second blow. After the fourth strike, he fought her for the pillow, eventually claiming it and tucking it behind his head. He relaxed back against the pillow with his hands casually tucked under his head, as he grinned at her.

In a flash, Lois climbed on top of him and held his elbows down, pinning him to the bed.

If there was a version of Kryptonite that made him immobile with pleasure, instead of pain, he was sure Lois was the embodiment of it.

“You win,” he whispered.

“Ha!” she gloated, but didn’t let go. She hung above his face, her hair dangling down her checks, her chest heaving with her quick breaths.

Oh, he soooo lost.

Eventually, her breathing slowed and he was able to take in a breath of his own. She dipped her head down and quickly kissed his lips before sitting up on his belly.

Torture. Yes, that was a good word for how Clark felt at that moment. Stuck between absolute heaven and absolute hell.

Clark bent his knees, so that Lois could rest her back against them and remain off his hips. He tried to keep his gaze from traveling lower than her face.

He failed.

Miserably.

In his defense, his stunning girlfriend was sitting on top of him in just a silky nightshirt. Any man would be distracted.

Lois asked him something about high school sweethearts.

“Huh?”

“So, basically, you and Lana were high school sweethearts, so to speak?”

What? “Uh… no. Later on.” He needed to figure out a way to get Lois off this subject. Unfortunately, his brain didn’t work with his current, albeit incredible view. He set his hands on her thighs just above the knees to keep them firmly planted on the bed. The problem with this technique, though, was that it pressed her closer against him, which was what he was trying so hard to avoid.

The joining of him and Lois.

If she leaned forward just slightly and he lifted his…

He exhaled that desire out his mouth.

Lois shivered. “You know, it’s kind of chilly in here,” she said, slipping off his lap and back under the covers, snuggling up with him.

Clark gladly wrapped his arm around her shoulders, allowing her to rest her head upon his chest and reducing his view to merely the top of her head.

“So, how did you start dating?” she asked, bringing up the dreaded topic of his ex again.

“I don’t know. She just walked up to me one night and announced that we were an item,” he said. It sounded pathetic now that he thought about it.

“Really? You didn’t have any say in the matter?”

“She’s not one to take no for an answer.”

Lois lifted her head and looked him in the eye. “You’re kidding me.”

He shrugged. “She was beautiful and popular, and I was a shy nobody.”

Lois’s expression hardened.

“I didn’t want to say ‘no’,” he explained.

She pressed her lips together and set her head back on his chest, but not before mumbling, “Typical.” She was quiet for a few moments before asking, “No offense, but why you?”

“Offense taken. Thanks.”

This night was not going in the direction he wanted or planned, in any way.

Lois lifted her head and gave him a ‘don’t take offense’ look. “I mean, if you were such a nobody, why did she want to date you of all people?”

“What can I say? She was shallow and I’m hot!” He grinned at his joke.

Her sour expression intensified. “Clark!

He really didn’t know the answer to this question. He’d been wondering this for years himself. “I don’t know. I’m a big guy. She liked that I would protect her from other guys.”

“You do get an A-Plus in rescuing.”

“Um… I’m loyal?”

Lois nodded. “That you are.”

He smiled.

“I was willing to do whatever she wanted.”

“A phase you’ve thankfully grown out of,” she reassured him.

He wasn’t as sure. “I’m a gentleman.”

“Can’t fault you for being well-behaved,” Lois agreed. “Also, you’re clean and tidy, not one of those guys who leaves a mess.”

“I do pick up after myself,” Clark said. Not that Lana could’ve known that from their interactions at the parties.

“And don’t forget, you’re potty-trained.”

Excuse me?

“It sounds like she didn’t want a boyfriend, Clark. She wanted a guard dog.”

“Offense taken. Again.”

“Oh, Chuck. I’m just joking,” Lois said, flipping onto her stomach so she could look him in the eyes. “I’m sure she liked you. One of your biggest strengths is that you’re very likeable. It’s practically impossible not to like you.”

“Thanks. Thanks a lot, Lois,” he said dryly. He didn’t need her sarcasm.

“No, I mean it, Clark. You’re so likeable that even at the beginning when I hated you, I couldn’t stop liking you. You get inside a person’s head with all the nice things that you say, that I still wanted to be around you, even though I was mad as hell that you were interfering with my relationship with Superman. Do you know why? Because you made me feel good about myself,” she said, tapping the words out on his chest. “You made me want to be a better person, which just pissed me the hell off and made me bitchier than ever. Here I was, practically dating the most wonderful man in the universe, mind you, and I kept having daydreams about boring ol’ Clark Kent from Kansas, sitting at the next desk. And not just daydreams about you being my slave and paying me compliments, like total sex fantasies, where you had a bare chest for some reason… it must have been during the heat of summer, because I pictured you taking off your jacket and shirt… anyway, I’d accidentally drip chocolate ice cream on your chest and I’d have to lick it off. You know, to clean you off.” She stuck out her tongue and licked a long stripe across his chest. “Mmmmm.” She closed her eyes for a few seconds as if savoring the taste of him. “So, she probably liked you because you’re a pretty wonderful guy, even if you’re a poor and boring nobody.” She said the last in a teasing tone.

Only Lois could annoy the heck out of him and then make him love her even more than before in the timespan of one of her rambles.

“Can I make love to you now?” he asked before rolling her on to her back and joining their lips.

Lois took his face in her hands. “That’s the thing, Clark. Even when we’re not being physical, you’re still making love to me.”

Didn’t he know it! Oh, wait. She didn’t mean in his mind.

“I love you, minha.”

“I love you, too, Clark,” Lois replied. “And I love that I’m your minha.”

The corner of his mouth tilted upwards by her wrong use of the word. However, his lips were too occupied to correct her.

“I don’t want you to break your vow,” Lois said, when she came up for air, surprising even herself with the truth of that statement.

His radiant smile blinded her with the suddenness of it. “I just want to give you pleasure,” he said, brushing her hair behind her ear. “Allow me that much.”

“What about you?” she asked.

“Making you happy will make me happy.”

Really? “So, you want me to just lie here, while you…?” What exactly?

Before she could blink, Clark was out of the bed and standing beside it. “Never mind. This wasn’t a good idea. I should just go.” He turned towards the door. “Good night, Lois.”

“Clark, wait!”

He stopped at the door. She could tell something had changed and it didn’t have only to do with the horrified expression that had flashed across his face. His shoulders sagged with dejection as if she had somehow zapped all the sunshine out him.

“Don’t go,” she pleaded. She hated this tone to her voice, so she tacked on a teasing, “You promised me ‘all night’.” Ugh, this was worse. Now, it sounded as if she were nagging, complaining, or being selfish. “I want you to stay.” She patted the bed beside her. “Please, Clark, stay.”

He glanced over his shoulder at her and she could see the indecision in his eyes.

“We don’t have to do anything, Clark. I just want to…” know what happened. How had they gone from ‘I love you’ to him bolting to the door? “— be with you.”

Clark sat down on the bed next to her, a look of pure love in his eyes. “How is it possible that someone as wonderful as you loves me?”

She had often felt the same way about him. “Just call me Wonder Woman, Superman.”

That made him crack a smile.

“What happened?” she asked.

The smile faded. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have...”

Lois covered his lips with her fingers. “Don’t be sorry. Just tell what I did to push your panic button.”

Clark took her hand in his. “I told you that Lana…” He grimaced, shaking his head.

“What did she do to you?” Lois asked, gently running her fingers through his hair.

“Nothing, Lois. She didn’t do anything,” he whispered.

“Clearly, she did.” Her hand flung towards the door to which Clark had just bolted.

He ran a weary hand down his face. “I’m not expressing myself well.”

At least he realized the obvious.

“We didn’t have a good relationship,” he went on.

Lois sucked her lips inside her mouth in order not to interrupt him again, but she nodded so that he knew she was still listening.

“We never tried to make love until the night we became engaged,” he explained softly, looking at their entwined hands.

He had mentioned something about this when he had first told Lois about Lana back almost a year ago. The story had come out just as muddy as he was currently making it. Only now, she knew a little more about Clark’s background… and Lana’s.

“Go back and start at the beginning,” she said. “Why did you ask Lana to marry you?” Or whatever the Kryptonian custom was?

Clark continued to stare at Lois’s hand, his thumb now rubbing the back of it. “Lana came into the office where I was working and told me that her folks were getting worried. We’d been dating so long and weren’t engaged. She told me to buy a ring and we’d go away for the night, so we wouldn’t be disturbed.”

Lois couldn’t hold her tongue any longer. “You didn’t ask Lana to marry you?”

“I did!” he insisted.

“Only after she told you to and only to appease her parents,” she countered. “Did you even want her?”

“Of course! I just never thought she wanted me. I thought she was only with me until someone better came along,” he explained.

Lois pulled him into her arms. “Oh, Clark!” Her silly lunkhead. She hadn’t thought it possible, but he really was worse at relationships than she was.

“Well, she wasn’t affectionate with me, so it was hard to gauge her feelings towards me. We would hang out and spend our free-time together,” he said. “I mean, we kissed in greeting and parting, held hands, but… that’s about it. She never seemed to want more.”

Poor, Clark, he so flourished on love and affection. He must have been a pale shadow of his current self.

“That day, she was so different. So happy, thrilled even, that we were getting engaged. It had even been her idea to… uh…” He still wasn’t looking at Lois. “— celebrate by consummating our relationship.”

Lois wasn’t sure she wanted to hear about what came next, about Clark making love to another woman. She steeled her resolve. She needed to know, so she didn’t make any of the same mistakes Lana had… and somehow press Clark’s panic button, again.

“Go on,” she murmured. Her gaze focused on their joined hands now, too.

“Everything was going well. She was pleased. I was overjoyed. I knew I’d never be alone ever again.” Clark paused.

Lois glanced up at his face. His eyes were pressed closed as if in pain. She wasn’t sure if it was because he was re-living the night in his mind or because he had shared too much at how pathetic Lana had made him feel.

“As you know that I float sometimes when I’m happy, and that night I was above-the-moon euphoric. I levitated a few inches and when Lana noticed, she freaked and pushed me away. She hated flying.”

Lana was the wrong person for Clark in a thousand ways, Lois decided. How could anyone hate flying? Flying with Clark was bar-none the best experience of Lois’s life. Lana was insane.

“I dropped her.”

Lois’s jaw fell, but thankfully, she was too stunned to speak.

“She didn’t fall far, maybe half a foot at the most,” he explained, his voice shaking as if the event still traumatized him. “But it might as well have been a mile. She didn’t trust me to keep her safe. She wouldn’t let me touch her. She didn’t want me near her. She sent me away, while she decided whether she still wanted to marry me.”

“Bitch!” Lois growled, unable to hold her tongue any longer. “I bet she kept the ring!”

Lois!” Clark scolded. “I had hurt her.”

“She fell onto blankets, didn’t she?”

“Well… yes…”

“She wasn’t made of glass, was she?” Lois asked wryly.

“Of course not.”

“Then she wasn’t hurt,” Lois stated matter of factly. It was a good thing Lana was already dead because Lois wanted to tear her limb from limb for what she did to Clark, even if she was Kryptonian and that was impossible. He hadn’t been kidding about mind games.

“She was frightened!” Clark said, taking the… Lois couldn’t think of a better word than… bitch’s side. “I scared her.”

“How can you defend her?!” Lois demanded. “She treated you horribly.”

Clark held up his hand. “You’re right; she did. I’ve just had a long time to process everything and see things from her point of view. I can see that now, but back then… I saw things differently.”

From where Lois was sitting, Clark had only been allowed to see things from Lana’s viewpoint.

Lois crossed her arms. “So, you broke up?”

“No. I gave her space to decide to get over the incident. I traveled, which she hated. I hoped my absence would make the heart grow fonder. In time, she did forgive me, and we started anew.”

“Anew? Like from the beginning again?” she exclaimed. “You guys had been dating for years and she made you start over? Why would you want to? You should’ve cut your losses.”

Clark shrugged before murmuring, “She was all I had.”

Lois rolled her eyes. She couldn’t believe him. She knew he wasn’t lying to her, but how come he hadn’t stuck up for himself? Hadn’t he felt any self-worth or had that she-demon cut it all out of him?

“I had always been taught that marriage isn’t easy,” he said softly. “Love can’t solve disagreements.”

She scoffed. He could say that again.

“Every relationship experiences rough times, Lois. However, if you love someone enough to get married, to want to spend your life with that one person, you also have to work at solving the problems that creep up until you can get past them,” he explained.

Lois could understand what he was saying. Her parents’ philosophy had been to avoid one another before cutting and running. Clark couldn’t help how he was raised. He had wanted forever and forever took time and patience and lots of work. She got that… in theory.

“And did you get past them?” she asked.

“No, not really.” Clark sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “While the rest of our relationship eventually went pretty much back to how it had been before, she never could trust me enough to relax with me, for us to enjoy a natural, intimate relationship.”

Lana never relaxed.

She could just picture Lana freezing in fear every time Clark touched her. Lois raised a hand to her mouth, recalling the words she had said to him before he had bolted for the door. So, you want me to just lie there, while you…? Oh, God. No wonder he had recoiled like that!

Lois patted his thigh and stood up on the bed.

Clark gazed up at her.

“Stand up.”

He appeared wary. A good sign that he wasn’t still a puppy that followed her every order. “I have an excellent view from here,” he teased.

“Just stand up,” she said, taking hold of his arm and tugging.

Clark hopped to his feet. “Why are we standing on the bed?”

“Because you’re going to kiss me,” she explained.

“O-kay,” he said hesitantly, wrapping his arms around her waist. “But couldn’t I have just done that on the bed?”

“Not here, Chuck. There!” She pointed up to the ceiling.

“Lo-is!” He blushed and whispered like a frightened sixteen year old, “The Kents are downstairs.”

“I want to lie on the ceiling and kiss you,” she said. She wanted it more for him than her. Personally, she couldn’t see the pleasure in it.

His eyes widened in fear. “But… but… I…might…”

Lois set her hand on his cheek. “I trust you.” She smiled. “You’ll catch me.” She would make sure his hands never left her body. She brushed her lips across his. Once, twice, and held, increasing in tempo and passion.

Gradually, they began to rise.

***End of Part 227***

There is an alt-ending to this part over yonder, but if you're not interested in NFIC, you can skip on ahead to Part 228

Comments?

Last edited by VirginiaR; 06/30/16 02:49 AM. Reason: Added Link

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.