Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#267237 11/06/15 10:38 PM
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Years ago I had a fleeting, passing thought as I watched 'Big Girls Don't Fly,' wondering where the chain that Lois gives to Clark came from. I wrote a snippet, then it sat there in the recesses of my computer for years.

The story can be found here.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
<sniff> That was painfully beautiful. Or should that be "beautifully painful?" Either way, it makes me reach for the tissues.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Your soul is as beautiful as this story. love

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I don't know what astoundes me more: if it is you joining the "Let's retrieve that dusty draft" club, or the fact that this is set in season 3/4... I still think romantic wittiness* (is that even a thing?) suits you better than angst, though wink
*Or "witty romance"? :P

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow. So short but so powerful that it's hard to read (in a good way). The goodbyes when Clark is leaving Earth always stab me right in the heart, and this fit in perfectly. It's simple and beautiful and heart-wrenching, what you've written here. Love it.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Wow. Super powerful piece you've got there. And you let this sit on your hard drive for that long? Tsk, tsk. Very thoughtful and emotional way of approaching the goodbyes, loved it. mecry thumbsup

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So much impact with so few words. Thank you for dusting this story off and sharing it.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Depressing as the subject is, you did a beautiful job at tugging at our emotions.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Z
Blogger
Blogger
Z
Thank you for sharing this sweet little story, Sue. It's so full of emotions...

BGDF is one of my favorite episodes despite its sad ending. The assuredness in Clark's voice when he answers "Always" to Lois's "And I'm your wife" makes me choke every time I see it.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
That scene, the goodbye in Lois' apartment, is so gut-wrechingly beautiful. The emotions, the love...it's hard to watch--because it is so raw--but that's also what makes it stand out so much to me.

You really captured that moment clap notworthy . That need for Lois (and Clark) to stay close to each other, to stay connected, even though everything is pulling them apart. How alone Lois would feel, getting ready for Clark to come over--and walk out of her life.

Loved it hail --I'm really glad you posted this!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 11/10/15 01:43 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Sue!

This has been sitting on my hard drive for about six years now, gathering dust.
/eyes scollbar/ Aww, what an adorable little dustball clap

Once I was home, I set it next to the black velvet jeweler's box holding two rings that might never be used.
/scratches head/ Engagement ring next to the wedding rings?

No, make that used again. They were briefly put to use for a couple of weeks. Clark had worn his in earnest, while the woman who wore mine had only been pretending.
confused Oh, right. The ARRGH!
CLOIS: Ribbit?

But it's too late to complain, or scream, or cry, or do anything. The decision has been made. Clark is leaving. Tomorrow morning he'll fly off to save a planet he never knew. It's a war, so he might never return. Even if he does come back, he might never be the same.
Oh. Duh! It’s Lois and she bought the silver chain on which to hang her wedding ring.

That's when I realize that I didn't buy the chain for me. I bought for it Clark.
Awww…

Tomorrow I have to let him go. I have to let him fulfill his destiny.
Somebody should tell her that the lords can have concubines on New Krypton.
ZARA: I wouldn’t mind playing the Irulan to Lois’s Chani.
CHING: thumbsup

He's coming over soon to say goodbye. I'll give the chain and ring to him then, and ask him to keep that fragment of my heart safe with him, no matter what the future brings.
Did I already mention ‘awwwwwww’?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard