Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Sue S. FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/07/15 02:38 AM
Years ago I had a fleeting, passing thought as I watched 'Big Girls Don't Fly,' wondering where the chain that Lois gives to Clark came from. I wrote a snippet, then it sat there in the recesses of my computer for years.

The story can be found here.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/07/15 03:09 AM
<sniff> That was painfully beautiful. Or should that be "beautifully painful?" Either way, it makes me reach for the tissues.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: groobie Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/07/15 03:45 AM
Your soul is as beautiful as this story. love
Posted By: HiddenMoon Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/07/15 03:50 AM
I don't know what astoundes me more: if it is you joining the "Let's retrieve that dusty draft" club, or the fact that this is set in season 3/4... I still think romantic wittiness* (is that even a thing?) suits you better than angst, though wink
*Or "witty romance"? :P
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/07/15 04:23 AM
Wow. So short but so powerful that it's hard to read (in a good way). The goodbyes when Clark is leaving Earth always stab me right in the heart, and this fit in perfectly. It's simple and beautiful and heart-wrenching, what you've written here. Love it.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/07/15 06:31 AM
Wow. Super powerful piece you've got there. And you let this sit on your hard drive for that long? Tsk, tsk. Very thoughtful and emotional way of approaching the goodbyes, loved it. mecry thumbsup
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/09/15 12:20 AM
So much impact with so few words. Thank you for dusting this story off and sharing it.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/09/15 07:14 AM
Depressing as the subject is, you did a beautiful job at tugging at our emotions.
Posted By: zippizappi Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/10/15 09:37 AM
Thank you for sharing this sweet little story, Sue. It's so full of emotions...

BGDF is one of my favorite episodes despite its sad ending. The assuredness in Clark's voice when he answers "Always" to Lois's "And I'm your wife" makes me choke every time I see it.
Posted By: LMA Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 11/10/15 05:42 PM
That scene, the goodbye in Lois' apartment, is so gut-wrechingly beautiful. The emotions, the love...it's hard to watch--because it is so raw--but that's also what makes it stand out so much to me.

You really captured that moment clap notworthy . That need for Lois (and Clark) to stay close to each other, to stay connected, even though everything is pulling them apart. How alone Lois would feel, getting ready for Clark to come over--and walk out of her life.

Loved it hail --I'm really glad you posted this!
Laura

Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK: Safekeeping 1/1 - 12/26/15 08:31 PM
Hi Sue!

This has been sitting on my hard drive for about six years now, gathering dust.
/eyes scollbar/ Aww, what an adorable little dustball clap

Once I was home, I set it next to the black velvet jeweler's box holding two rings that might never be used.
/scratches head/ Engagement ring next to the wedding rings?

No, make that used again. They were briefly put to use for a couple of weeks. Clark had worn his in earnest, while the woman who wore mine had only been pretending.
confused Oh, right. The ARRGH!
CLOIS: Ribbit?

But it's too late to complain, or scream, or cry, or do anything. The decision has been made. Clark is leaving. Tomorrow morning he'll fly off to save a planet he never knew. It's a war, so he might never return. Even if he does come back, he might never be the same.
Oh. Duh! It’s Lois and she bought the silver chain on which to hang her wedding ring.

That's when I realize that I didn't buy the chain for me. I bought for it Clark.
Awww…

Tomorrow I have to let him go. I have to let him fulfill his destiny.
Somebody should tell her that the lords can have concubines on New Krypton.
ZARA: I wouldn’t mind playing the Irulan to Lois’s Chani.
CHING: thumbsup

He's coming over soon to say goodbye. I'll give the chain and ring to him then, and ask him to keep that fragment of my heart safe with him, no matter what the future brings.
Did I already mention ‘awwwwwww’?

wave Michael
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards