Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
so sorry to see this finish, but I enjoyed it immensely! Thank you for sharing your stories with us, I look forward to each and every post, even the nail-biting ones! Can't wait for more!

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Like the others, I was sorry to see this finish, but like all good things, it had to come to an end.

And it was indeed an excellent end. You wrapped up a terrific alt-beginning for Lois and Clark with your obvious affection for Australian football in general and the Hawks in particular and made me care who won the final! I have to tell you that I was roo - er, cheering for the merger to fail and for Lois to figure out how to be the best footy reporter she could be while being married to Clark. I wanted to see all of Hawthorn stay separate, succeed, and win, and heal the breaches among the members, and become united once again.

And you did it! I know, you had the real Hawthorn history to fall back on, but you blended it so well with the romantic portion of the tale that in the end they were inseparable. Congratulations on an excellent tale so very well told.

Thanks for giving Clark and Lois such a wonderful Aussie family - not just the kids, but Ron and Barb and Seb and Chris and Browny and Banjo and all the other colorful characters you drew for us to enjoy.

A semi-personal note: A friend of mine visited Sydney a few years back and found a music store on the second floor of a building, accessed by a staircase to the front door. The name of the store was "Stairway to Kevin." Do you know it?

I'd wager a pint that there's a Kerth nom in the near future! Hurry and get it to the archive so you can qualify! Deadline for inclusion is December 31st! (Actually, it's a little more flexible than that, but hurry anyway!)

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just now I caught up with this story and I'm glad I did so. If I was reading from the beginning in some moments it would be painful to wait for the next part. There were cliffhangers that I couldn't get to the next part fast enough. laugh Happily I could read it all in a few days. Great story! thumbsup I thought Brazilians loved football (some call it soccer, we call it football) but in Australia the passion for the sport is taken to another level. I couldn't have imagined it. wink I'm glad that your team survived and became stronger. Here it has never happened, but I know nobody would like to see their team merged with another. Long life for the hawks! [Linked Image]

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Awesome story! wave

EvelynC
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Corrina!

The 'thousands of times' was a reference to 12 years, not 2.
Okay, I admit, now I’m even more confused. I read this, assuming that Lois stayed in Melbourne during the first two years of their marriage, during which Clark kept her visiting sort of daily. And after that, they would stay together like superglue, traveling together between Australia and Metropolis. Which, of course, would negate the need for frequent visitation flights in the later years of their marriage.

I'm not sure where you got the 5 trips a year from. My thinking was ... 12 years, 2 trips a year, 4 flights a year, 48 flights - rounded up to 50.
Same reason as before. Frequent plane trips to Australia only after Lois moved to Metropolis.
The trip now is about 24 hours from the east coast of the USA to Melbourne. I'm not sure how long it was in 1996 - but you're right, you wouldn't come for just a day!
Huh, and here I thought Clark mentioned a 36-hour trip somewhere in the story. But that could just be a rusty mind blush
Perry and Browny worked out the 'logistics' - I figure they worked for the Herald Sun during their times in Oz.

I hope that makes more sense.
Yeah, it does. They’re timeshare reporters laugh I just didn’t expect the papers to support them *that* much.

Thanks for the details smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sarah It's always great when someone says they were sorry when a fic finished. Thanks, Sarah.

Terry Re the Hawk merger story. I have thought for years that I'd like to write that story. I didn't imagine I would write it as a Lois and Clark story ... until Iolanthe suggested a footy story and my mind immediately leapt to the proposed merger.

I've only been to Sydney twice, so I'm not familiar with very much at all. I'm not aware of that music store - it has a clever name, though smile

The Archive blush blush blush I'll get my stories there one day. They can still be eligible though, even without getting to the archive.

Andreia Wow! The whole fic in just a few days.

The Brazilians are known for their love of soccer/football - they're pretty good at it, too.

I think the situation in Melbourne is unique - 12 clubs (originally) in one city. Although there are pockets where one club is more popular, the supporters of all the Victorian clubs pretty much rub shoulders all winter. Passion for your club just sort of develops in that atmosphere.

Evelyn Glad you like the diversity. smile I bore easily!

Michael

Okay, I admit, now I’m even more confused.
Ooops, sorry!

OK - first two years, Lois is in Melbourne for most of the year, but in Metropolis from October to December. As you said, Clark would have visited Melbourne almost daily.

Then - the next ten years. They are together, mostly in Metropolis. However, there would be reasons for Clark to sneak Lois home the unconventional way - to see Seb and Chris, to overcome Lois's touches of homesickness (smell the wattle, listen to the magpies, hug a gum tree laugh ) or to catch some Hawthorn games (disguised, of course, and *not* in the spandex.) During their official visits to Melbourne, Clark would have flown home regularly to be Superman or to visit his parents.

All that adds up to a lot of unoffical trips - some together, some with Clark alone.

Newspapers will support anything if the reporters get the good stories!

I hope that makes it clearer, Michael.

Thanks,

Corrina.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah... thanks! blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok, so I just spent the whole weekend reading this story and loved it. I am an Aussie and was able to relate to the story really well. I thought it was great how you put a glossary and links at the end of each part to explain certain things to those that may not understand. I loved the fact the Lois an Clark seemed to like each other straight away. They went to great lengths to be together and it was a happy ending for Lois and Clark, which I love.

Cant wait to read you next story.

Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
hug a gum tree
thumbsup
Elizabeth

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Glad we got it sorted, Michael.

Caincrazy Thanks for a Sydneysider's perspective. I think the whole Melb-Syd battle is silly. I've only been to Sydney twice, but I loved it both times.

Elizabeth laugh

Corrina.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
smell the wattle, listen to the magpies, hug a gum tree
I know magpies (birds) and gum trees (well, a type of tree wink ) , but what the heck is wattle that you smell? confused
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The wattles are flowering right now and every time I go bike riding with my son, I'm reminded of how wonderful they smell.

Wattle is a tree/large shrub that is covered in yellow flowers in spring.

Others might know them as Acacias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, yes, acacias. Thank you. They grow here too.
Happy smelling. Wattles doesn't sound like a pretty flower name!
regards
Artemis

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just saw Tim Tams in our local WalMart! They've made their way to these shores. Maybe it's because we have quite a few Aussies living and working here! At least now I know what they are.
And I found out they've been in the States since 2008, but I'd never seen them before. From Wikipedia:
Pepperidge Farm, a sister company of Arnott's, brought the Tim Tam to the United States in the fall of 2008, with select distribution of caramel and chocolate crème flavours in Target stores, exclusively but nationwide. At that time, Pepperidge Farm launched an online community site that allowed users to track the cookies' journey from Australia to U.S. stores. The product is still "Made in Australia".

In the fall of 2009, Pepperidge Farm announced that Tim Tam biscuits will be made available each year between October and March (although still available year round in some of the northern states), in various stores. The brand also premiered the Classic Dark flavour in the United States, in addition to extending distribution of Caramel and Chocolate Crème flavours to supermarkets and grocery stores across the country.

A 7-ounce/200g package contains 11 biscuits.

Tim Tams available from "Cost Plus World Markets" in the USA do not bear the name "Tim Tam" on the wrapper and are branded as "Arnott's Original".
Thanks again, FH!
Artemis

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just finished this one. Wow! Loved how it all ended. I figured out that "dan & may" was Scardino and Mayson.

Overall, a wonderful story!

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Kerth
Kerth
Rather a late response on this - I was hoping to download the story as an epub, but it doesn't seem to be on the archive. Is it on line anywhere else?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As far as I know, there is none.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Last I heard Female Hawk was still reworking it for the Archives. It must have ended up on her back burner.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
OK.. I suppose I could put the chapters together as a word document and convert it for my own use, but if she isn't happy with it I'd better not.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Go right ahead, Marcus. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard