Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm sorry to hear about his passing.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
frown His antics brought smiles to many people.

- Lynn

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Very sad day.

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I adored his "What Dreams May Come." I was sad to hear that he had passed.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Top Banana
And a probable suicide, too. Depression is a nasty disease that can tear down the best and brightest.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Kerth
Kerth
I actually cried a bit when I heard this. I don't remember which it was that broke me-- the tweet from the Academy that said "Genie, you're free" or the plethora of Dead Poets Society quotes that seem to have barraged me...

Depression is a terrible disease that has affected everybody in some capacity, including me. It's a shame that it took him too, but "the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse". Robin Williams sure wrote a fantastic verse.

/end blubbering rant/

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Such amazing talent. So sad. Very sorry to hear about him passing.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Very sad. His movies have certainly brought me a lot of joy over the years.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Robin Williams and Why Funny People Kill Themselves

This article from Cracked.com is spot-on. (Warning: There is some profanity.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Too sad. If Robin could have only seen the outpouring of joy he has given people and realized how much people loved him before taking that final step. It's too bad some people cannot see their own lives through the glass others viewed them. He will be missed.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I feel like we were all affected in some way by his passing. It hurts that someone who brought us all so much joy and humanity, couldn't find it for himself to continue living.

I've seen this posted around and think it's fitting, if a bit dark:

"I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains." The Watchmen

It's a well-known story, actually. There's an opera too. This aria is about the performance carrying on despite a real-life pain. In the case of the opera, his wife was found in the arms of another man.

Here's the legendary Pavarotti singing it. When he gets to the 'Ridi, Pagliaccio' (Laugh, Clown) part, it's heart-wrenching.

And here's the translation of the text.

I don't know, I just find music cathartic... and I think this piece just paints the picture so literally of what it must be to go on and make the world smile while you are personally dying inside.

Robin Williams was such a light in the world, and it's heartbreaking that he took his own life. He left us so much joy, and he was always able to play like a child while still bringing such humanity into whatever he was doing.

He will be greatly missed.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard