Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: ShayneT RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 12:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear about his passing.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 12:43 AM
frown His antics brought smiles to many people.

- Lynn
Posted By: Tailee Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 01:26 AM
Very sad day.
Posted By: Christina Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 01:46 AM
I adored his "What Dreams May Come." I was sad to hear that he had passed.
Posted By: Annie B. Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 02:33 AM
And a probable suicide, too. Depression is a nasty disease that can tear down the best and brightest.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 08:26 AM
I actually cried a bit when I heard this. I don't remember which it was that broke me-- the tweet from the Academy that said "Genie, you're free" or the plethora of Dead Poets Society quotes that seem to have barraged me...

Depression is a terrible disease that has affected everybody in some capacity, including me. It's a shame that it took him too, but "the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse". Robin Williams sure wrote a fantastic verse.

/end blubbering rant/
Posted By: LMA Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 02:21 PM
Such amazing talent. So sad. Very sorry to hear about him passing.
Posted By: Lois_Lane_Fan Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/12/14 08:50 PM
Very sad. His movies have certainly brought me a lot of joy over the years.
Posted By: Annie B. Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/13/14 12:46 AM
Robin Williams and Why Funny People Kill Themselves

This article from Cracked.com is spot-on. (Warning: There is some profanity.)
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/13/14 05:10 AM
Too sad. If Robin could have only seen the outpouring of joy he has given people and realized how much people loved him before taking that final step. It's too bad some people cannot see their own lives through the glass others viewed them. He will be missed.
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: RIP Robin Williams - 08/13/14 11:50 AM
I feel like we were all affected in some way by his passing. It hurts that someone who brought us all so much joy and humanity, couldn't find it for himself to continue living.

I've seen this posted around and think it's fitting, if a bit dark:

"I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains." The Watchmen

It's a well-known story, actually. There's an opera too. This aria is about the performance carrying on despite a real-life pain. In the case of the opera, his wife was found in the arms of another man.

Here's the legendary Pavarotti singing it. When he gets to the 'Ridi, Pagliaccio' (Laugh, Clown) part, it's heart-wrenching.

And here's the translation of the text.

I don't know, I just find music cathartic... and I think this piece just paints the picture so literally of what it must be to go on and make the world smile while you are personally dying inside.

Robin Williams was such a light in the world, and it's heartbreaking that he took his own life. He left us so much joy, and he was always able to play like a child while still bringing such humanity into whatever he was doing.

He will be greatly missed.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards