M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Just get white boots and dye them.

#194695 08/07/12 08:01 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What if you used painted cardboard letters (or pink fabric covered letters) which you then glued onto the purple epilettes? I believe in the original the letters tended to pop (3D) more than lay flat.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#194696 08/08/12 09:31 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I like the idea of pink fabric letters because of the evenness of it but I suspect it would be difficult to get the curves to work so I may make an exacto-knifed cardboard cutout of the U and W (with the outside portion) and then find a way to attach it. I just hope I can find a paint that's more than just a little glossy (like the mask paint) and more glittery (sorta) like the purple fabric.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#194697 04/02/14 09:19 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Ok so two years since I started this project I have an update. After finding out Dean is expected to be at the Superman Celebration in Metropolis, I pulled out the unitard to see if it fit. I didn't last year when I was expecting Solomon so I stopped working on it then. As a result I was trying to figure out how to make the harness. I think I figured out my version of the harness. I have a loop over each shoulder that are going to be attached with snaps or velcro when finished. Not identical to the cape harness, but it will be the same basic idea. The next step (and the most difficult piece overall) is the cape. Hemming the bottom and sides won't be an issue but the draping and folding on the shoulders is a bear to recreate. Luckily my sister gave me a bunch of fabric and it turns out she had some gray fabric that is exactly the same weight and kind of fabric as the fabric I bought (for the cape) so I'm currently working on a test cape that I'll attach to the harness to see if it works. Any ideas for folding/draping on the cape? I am really nervous on this part because how it drapes will determine the look of it.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
#194698 04/02/14 09:40 AM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey--interesting project! Not sure if I could be of any help, but I graduated college with a degree in Textiles and Clothing (planned to move to a big city, get into the clothing industry, etc...and, yeah, amazing how 'life' changes all of that smile )...Anyway, at one point I was fairly good at sewing/etc.

I was looking at some screen caps of the Ultra Woman costume off the L&C Archive website...it looks like a lot of the weight of the cape is held up under/around those shield emblems on Teri's shoulders. And maybe from there reinforced under the top back part of the costume. Hard overall to tell though....

Any pics you could post of the top of your outfit and of the harness? Might help with thinking through the draping...

Good luck--sounds like a really neat idea clap

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
#194699 04/02/14 12:44 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I will in a bit. The images I found were that the straps connected to the cape at the shield then went down the front, under her armpits and connected around her shoulder-blades. Don't have any pics sadly because the components (minus the test cape) are at my grandma-in-law's. She's letting me borrow her sewing machine (which also allows me to learn to sew on a machine, something that I wasn't familiar with... I could hand-sew and knew some basics of hand-embroidery but never learned on a machine). I'm going back on friday with my test cape so I can take my pics then and link them from my tumblr (I was keeping a photo update there back when I started.)

#194700 04/02/14 03:54 PM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sounds good--I just looked at the pics that had been posted previously from your tumblr on this thread...

And from looking at some various pics of the original costume, I am coming to the same conclusion that you did--it looks like the straps of the harness connect at the base of the 'u' and the 'w' emblems, and then would follow through to connect under the cape area to each other at her shoulder blades. So then, obviously a lot/most of the weight of the cape is held in and around those shield emblems, I would guess....

I'm just not sure how the cape is supported on her back, going btw the two emblems? It looks like it is definitely secured somehow back there--and that there is enough fabric so that it drapes nicely out from behind her neck area and downward.

Definitely post some more pics when you get a chance of the project...never have done anything with a cape per say, but took a few draping classes back in the day and might have 'a kind of a thought' blush

Laura

C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I took a hiatus on the project for a month or so when I found out that my grandmother-in-law's 90th was the same day. I assumed (rightly) that there'd be a birthday party. Luckily it doesn't start until 4 or so and the earlier signings are early enough that I'll see them. Unfortunately I didn't find out about this until only yesterday so I have less than 10 days to finish the cape, mask (War'n Peace broke the original one), belt and epaulets. Pictures of the harness and test cape are forthcoming.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Good luck with everything...will keep a look out for the pics smile

Laura

C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Here's a link to the update on the cape/harness. It was a good thing I did a test cape instead of just starting on the real fabric. I ended up with the hem being uneven (very obviously uneven) on the grey one. I like how the cape pieces (which will be sewn onto the elastic harness) Pictures of the harness and the test-cape

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Awesome!!! Thanks so much for keeping me posted smile...How you made everything so far is exactly how I was picturing to put it together. The harness--everything--looks really great so far. Looks like it'll be pretty stable, too.

Should be a busy few days getting it all done, but you will--and it'll be so worth it!

PLEASE keep posting pics as you complete the outfit. Really excited for you--and can't wait to hear about the Superman Celebration...

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 06/05/14 04:58 PM.

C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Just an update (no pics right now, maybe in the morning). It's been slow going the last couple of days. I never got around to hemming the fabric when I had access to a sewing machine so the last four days or so were spent hemming the cape fabric so I would have that part out of the way. Today I finished that and sewed in the middle folds of the back of the cape like this. However, now it's "quitting time" (I've been forcing myself to bed at midnight each night so I don't find myself tired with an active toddler and 8 month old in the house making mischief.) Now comes the hard part of this cape. The connection point of the fabric to the harness. Hopefully I can get that finished tomorrow during the day so I can dedicate most of Friday to the accessories (mask, belt, epaulets and cuffs).

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sounds like things are coming along...and with two little kids, that makes you all the more busy right now (we have a 2 and 4 year old--definitely hard to find free time wink ).

Looking forward to pictures and hearing how it all comes together--bet it is turning out wonderfully clap

Laura

C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
New update with pics! Cape and bonus pictures

I think the hardest part may be behind me. I figured out that rolling/folding the ends creates a nice effect over my shoulders and should tack nicely onto the harness. Once that's over I plan on doing a short happy dance and then back to work finishing the mask (cut out but not yet heated/molded to my face), belt (will likely be a quick finish), epaulets (the cutting them out part is easy, figuring what to use to paint them might be hard, though), cuffs (the biggest question mark of the whole thing) and (maybe, I'm considering leaving it off if I'm not confident on how it would turn out) the neon stripe down the leg.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
First off, Solomon is ADORABLE! And second, I'm so excited for you!

It looks like it all is really coming along--cape looks great--and I love the color/glitter for your mask. It looks perfect!

Will be excited to see how the rest turns out. It looks like you've definitely done the hardest part of the outfit, now it's on to more of the detail-work. Bet the finished product will be awesome!

Have fun--keep me posted smile
Laura

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I agree with Laura. It's so nice to have someone to help you wrinkle your outfit after spending an hour getting it just so. Apparently, you hired your assistant for his cuteness, didn't you?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
And so.... here is the finished product. I'm still not completely happy with it. The epaulets didn't turn out the way I would have liked (the cape wasn't sewn on low enough, the puff paint bled into the cloth making it uneven and less 3d than intended), the cape wasn't low enough on the harness (and easy enough fix as I sewed the ends of the cloth together BEFORE sewing the cape on so I can rip the seams out and move it to a better position), and the belt didn't stay on but all in all a good start. I have until March to get it finished to "perfection" before my local comic con (I don't have plans to go to a different one... yet.)

Last edited by Christina; 06/16/14 11:52 PM. Reason: add the link

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks so much for the pictures smile! I'm so happy that you got it done in time to wear for the Superman Celebration. Bet you had an amazing day...

The outfit looks great, Christina clap clap clap

Thanks so much for posting the finished product--and good luck with any tweaking before your local con.

Great job! notworthy
Laura

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Awwww, I didn't get to meet you frown

I DID find out that the UltraWoman suit is in the Superman Museum in Metropolis! No cameras allowed. They had a bunch of Lois' outfits and a few of Clark's ties! There was much squeeing wink

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by Kismatt
Awwww, I didn't get to meet you frown

I DID find out that the UltraWoman suit is in the Superman Museum in Metropolis! No cameras allowed. They had a bunch of Lois' outfits and a few of Clark's ties! There was much squeeing wink

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get over to the museum. frown I wanted to but between a fussy (almost) 9 month old (in the picture because he refused to be left in the covered stroller and was wary/worried of a masked mommy) and a 2 year old that both refused to leave my side. I barely got to watch the Q/A before I had to go back to Cape (my grandma in-law's 90th was the same day and I'd promised I'd be back in time for pictures). I wanted to get tickets for the autograph session but by the time I got there at 9:30am I missed my chance. I'd been aiming to get there around 7:30 but I both kept getting lost (while I'd been there before, hubby did the driving) and had a (small) accident when I lost control on a gravel road and landed in a ditch, requiring a tow just to get it out of the (deep/wide) ditch. shock By the time I got there the Chamber was out of tickets so I resigned/looked forward to visiting some of the other stuff (loved perusing the Writer's Way/Artist's alley last year so did it again this year, getting the last "Superman and Lois married" piece of artwork made specifically for the Superman Celebration) and trying to do other things between trying to wrangle Solomon (didn't happen). I ended up standing through most of the Q/A (someone was nice enough to give me their seat maybe halfway through).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard