Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#194674 02/23/12 12:50 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I'm in the thinking/planning stages of building an UltraWoman costume (I half-way gave up on building a Super-Lois outfit from the All-Star Superman comics... I got sick of trying to build it from scratch and the UltraWoman one looks a little easier to work with.)

First question I have is, does anyone have any good images of the UltraWoman outfit in full? Basically I'm trying to figure out whether I can just use a hot pink unitard as a base or not (what I'm thinking about using is here on ebay , although it's not accurate enough.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#194675 02/23/12 01:22 PM
Columnist
Columnist
At about 0:28 in this video there is a semi full body shot of the costume. Hope that helps.

IMO, that suit you posted from ebay looks like it would be a good place to start!

.talk nerdy to me.
#194676 02/23/12 02:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#194677 02/24/12 12:25 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Does that look more purple/lavender to you guys? If so I need to do a little more digging for that color.

*I really, really need to make a drive out to Metropolis, IL sometime and visit the Superman Museum... It's a day trip for me.*

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
#194678 02/24/12 01:35 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Mmm... looks a little bit more fuschia than bright pink, but I still wouldn't go with purple. The pink in your example is pretty close, I'd say. Then again, pictures can lie...

Hope you solve your problem soon! wave

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#194679 02/24/12 05:56 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I always thought it looked purple (lavender) with pink trim (and that weird green stripe) and a teal cape to me. Hot pink in general isn't a color I associate with something Lois would ever pick to wear. Hot pink = clone. But maybe that's just me.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#194680 02/24/12 06:29 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Ah, but Virginia, that is precisely why pink is the perfect color for her; she is trying to do what she can to keep others from guessing who is wearing that monstrosity. And since pink is not her color, UW couldn't possibly be Lois, right? wink

Joy,
Lynn

#194681 02/24/12 07:27 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Ah, but Virginia, that is precisely why pink is the perfect color for her; she is trying to do what she can to keep others from guessing who is wearing that monstrosity. And since pink is not her color, UW couldn't possibly be Lois, right? wink

Joy,
Lynn
How did I know someone was going to say that!? laugh

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#194682 02/24/12 07:59 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm with Mouse. The color looks pretty close, though of course, pictures can sometimes lie.

Best of luck in recreating the costume!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#194683 02/24/12 08:15 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I noticed that in the museum photo they put the cape straps under the "sleeves"/shoulder straps of the suit (like Superman did), whereas UW wore hers above. The cape in the correct position would hide the different looking shoulder straps of the suit you're looking at. thumbsup I'd say, go for it!

VirginiaR.
---
#194684 02/24/12 11:08 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good eye, Virginia! thumbsup

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#194685 02/25/12 08:43 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Sheesh, you don't know how hard it is to find a lavender/fuschia tank/sleeveless unitard/catsuit until you go digging for it. If that one on top wasn't 40 bucks I'd consider getting it and taking my chances. I've found the right color a good amount of the time but almost all of them are either zentai (i.e. those freaky hooded types) or long-sleeved (which make me think of Star Sapphire ) and none of them are of the tank variety. The purple tank unitards I've found are of the solid purple variety.

*edit* I finally found a unitard that will work! I'll post more here when I have more progress to show.

#194686 04/30/12 04:12 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I just got my unitard (Raspberry by BalTogs.) Unfortunately Raspberry is more hot pink than the shade of lavender/purple the outfit is. So really the question I now have is... should I even attempt it? I would need to turn the pink epaulets purple among other things (the lime green stripe will stay the same obviously.) Suggestions? Advice?

#194687 04/30/12 04:30 PM
Columnist
Columnist
You could always buy one of those clothes dying things that you stick in the washing machine to change the colour of fabric.

.talk nerdy to me.
#194688 04/30/12 05:36 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
You could always buy one of those clothes dying things that you stick in the washing machine to change the colour of fabric.
Those things actually don't work that well on lycra (I know from experience, it's the reason my dance school never attempted it with our outfits.) Not to mention you can't do that with something that already has color in it (especially if that color is brighter than the color you're attempting to dye it to.)

#194689 05/01/12 01:59 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by Christina:
[b] You could always buy one of those clothes dying things that you stick in the washing machine to change the colour of fabric.
Those things actually don't work that well on lycra (I know from experience, it's the reason my dance school never attempted it with our outfits.) Not to mention you can't do that with something that already has color in it (especially if that color is brighter than the color you're attempting to dye it to.) [/b]
Oooh, that sucks. I've never used them before. I've always wondered if they'd make my faded black clothes blacker again.

Good luck with figuring it out!

.talk nerdy to me.
#194690 07/25/12 06:57 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Well, I decided I would go ahead and attempt this anyway and just reverse the color scheme (purple being the accent vs. pink.)

Here's a link to my tumblr post with the pics of the stuff I have to work on it. I just did a beginning coat of paint on the mask. Any suggestions for getting it to be even?
Link to my Tumblr post with pics.

#194691 07/25/12 02:38 PM
Columnist
Columnist
What kind of brush are you using? You might want to use a spray type paint to get a really uniform job.

.talk nerdy to me.
#194692 07/26/12 04:28 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
What kind of brush are you using? You might want to use a spray type paint to get a really uniform job.
Just a standard wide-bristle brush. It wasn't that even but it's just a little thicker around the cheeks so I'm not complaining (I kind of like it like that... it kind of evokes a bit of blush on the cheekbones.)

I'll post a pic (through my tumblr) soon.

#194693 08/07/12 09:22 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Here's my link to the tumblr post of my most recent work on it. Finished making the basic shield epaulets but need to make the "U" and "W" that will go on them (I'll do it after I'm to the last step of everything else I think.)

Mask and Shield pics are here on my tumblr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard