Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137149 02/25/14 04:49 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
(WARNING: Challenge Contains Spoilers for Do-Over .)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

In the story, Tempus approaches Clark in the Kryptonite cage and offers him a do-over, sending him back to his first day at the Planet. Now that Clark knows what's in store for the year, including the "facts" that Lois doesn't love him, is totally blinded by Lex and Superman and is willing to marry Luthor, what will Clark do differently?

I was thinking that each taker could write a snippet showing Clark's new path in life, and then bring it to a point where Clark's miserable again and can't see that hope is just around the corner. Enter Tempus, offering another do-over... That way, we can sew them all together and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to write a final capstone and send it off to the archive. laugh

So, to summarize:
1.Clark uses fore-knowledge to change season 1
2. He hits a new and different low point either in season 1, or sometime in the future.
3. He meets Tempus again and lets the man send him back to square 1, unaware that this man does not really have his best interests at heart.

Please mention this challenge in the header of your response. A link here would also be appreciated if you feel up to it.

This could be pretty great! thumbsup What do you think?

~•~
#137150 02/25/14 09:05 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
S1 goes Groundhog's Day! I love it! clap

Why do I picture in one of the latter "re-dos" Clark actually finding a "happily ever after" only to have Tempus reappear and push him through the window into the past, because he had gotten it right. I'd love for Clark to realize that Tempus isn't on his side before the very end. What would Clark do starting over S1 with the knowledge that someone who doesn't like the future wants him to change it?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#137151 02/26/14 01:24 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I don't think I have it in me to write a story like this, but this has got me thinking. What would Clark be likely to do different, especially immediately?

1. I think he'd go to his parents and pitch his Superman idea early and have Martha make the suit. This time he has the final design in mind already.

2. He might not wait for the shuttle bomb thing to debut. Maybe he saves the Messenger shuttle. He might figure that if Lois is not the first one to see him in action, and if he doesn't fly her gallantly into the newsroom, maybe her crush won't be as bad.

This could have some potentially far-reaching side effects. If Lois is not the first reporter on the scene, whoever is there might not have quite as favorable a spin to put on the news coverage. It really could go either way.

3. Before Superman shows up, break into the warehouse on Bessolo Blvd. and take his ship. Bureau 39 wouldn't be expecting it, and I'm sure he could do some surveillance and find a way in and out without being caught. While he's at it, take some random files along with the Smallville ones, just to throw things off a bit.

4. Have his dad talk to Wayne Irig about the tree. He's got to prevent Wayne from sending any samples of any as-yet-unfound interesting minerals to any labs for analysis.

5. Write down everything he remembers about Luthor's crimes any any evidence that he collected the first time around. If any of that exists yet, start getting a hold of it. If it hasn't happened yet, Clark's got the upper hand and will be able to obtain evidence in a more timely manner when it does happen.

6. He will really have to watch himself around Lois because he knows her much better than she thinks he has reason to. He has to remember not to say anything that would give her reason to believe that he has more information than he should (e.g., mentioning her relationship with her dad, being familiar with the layout of her apartment, knowing that her sister is staying with her, etc.).

If he changes things enough, especially if he finds evidence on Luthor early, things won't unfold as he remembers, but I'm sure he'd still be on the lookout for, for example, Miranda. Maybe he couldn't find a way to prevent her from spraying the newsroom, but he decides to take Lois up on her offer of playing hookey before Lois gets sprayed.

Anyway, there's my brain-dump on the subject.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#137152 02/27/14 12:27 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:

3. Before Superman shows up, break into the warehouse on Bessolo Blvd. and take his ship. Bureau 39 wouldn't be expecting it, and I'm sure he could do some surveillance and find a way in and out without being caught. While he's at it, take some random files along with the Smallville ones, just to throw things off a bit.

4. Have his dad talk to Wayne Irig about the tree. He's got to prevent Wayne from sending any samples of any as-yet-unfound interesting minerals to any labs for analysis.

6. He will really have to watch himself around Lois because he knows her much better than she thinks he has reason to. He has to remember not to say anything that would give her reason to believe that he has more information than he should (e.g., mentioning her relationship with her dad, being familiar with the layout of her apartment, knowing that her sister is staying with her, etc.).

If he changes things enough, especially if he finds evidence on Luthor early, things won't unfold as he remembers, but I'm sure he'd still be on the lookout for, for example, Miranda. Maybe he couldn't find a way to prevent her from spraying the newsroom, but he decides to take Lois up on her offer of playing hookey before Lois gets sprayed.

Anyway, there's my brain-dump on the subject.
On #3) Wouldn't that bring the more contingency-related aspects of Bureau 39 into play and give them legitimacy? If something was stolen from their warehouse (even if it was de-commissioned) it'd bring thing to the government's attention. I'd expect they'd have an even stronger response.

On #4) I guess that would leave the red K out there. It's not as debilitating, luckily. Now that I think on that though, it would leave that one large one that affects him in Season 4 (that require a touch of green to counteract). That one's probably the most dangerous version of Red K out there (and could potentially be as valid of a weapon by Trask than ANY of the Green K.)

On #6) I thought Lois's "hookey" comment came up AFTER Miranda sprayed the office. Clark DID bring it up before she's sprayed but I only remember Lois wanted to take him up on it after slinking over to his desk in a seductive manner. I suppose he could press his interest in getting out of there. OTOH, him pressing something like that would catch Lois's investigative attention and would make her think he has an ulterior motive (well, he does, just no the one she'd probably come up with). After her comment early in season 1 (that I expect wouldn't end up happening in a do-over) she'd put out her "three rules" right then making it so he'd have to either "break" her rules (and risk a harrassment case then) or take the consequences of the spray (unless he can switch Miranda's custom bottle-which I doubt).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#137153 02/27/14 03:38 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by Christina:
On #3) Wouldn't that bring the more contingency-related aspects of Bureau 39 into play and give them legitimacy? If something was stolen from their warehouse (even if it was de-commissioned) it'd bring thing to the government's attention. I'd expect they'd have an even stronger response.
I don't think that Clark would think that through; he'd just take the ship. So there's your A-plot!

On #6) I thought Lois's "hookey" comment came up AFTER Miranda sprayed the office.
::slaps forehead:: Yeah, I remembered that backwards. I guess it wouldn't be easy to get jer out of the office, but I think he'd still try.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
I don't think I have it in me to write a story like this, but this has got me thinking. What would Clark be likely to do different, especially immediately?

1. I think he'd go to his parents and pitch his Superman idea early and have Martha make the suit. This time he has the final design in mind already.
Probably true. He might even get the job at the Planet with the first-ever exclusive Superman interview.

2. He might not wait for the shuttle bomb thing to debut. Maybe he saves the Messenger shuttle. He might figure that if Lois is not the first one to see him in action, and if he doesn't fly her gallantly into the newsroom, maybe her crush won't be as bad.

This could have some potentially far-reaching side effects. If Lois is not the first reporter on the scene, whoever is there might not have quite as favorable a spin to put on the news coverage. It really could go either way.
How about... Linda King? Or maybe just Clark Kent? Or Jimmy Olsen - Clark trying to help him get the much needed raise... Although, come to think of it, Lois' crush on Superman will probably be non-existent if he chooses Linda King as his favored reporter.

Nah, he'd have to be cleverer about that. Get out his spaceship - and replace it with a replica made by his mom. She's an artist, after all. The Bureau 39 goons probably won't notice anything for a long time because the ship is covered anyway. And, yes, Clark would need to get rid of his file. Or maybe change it to something more innocent.

Or just play at being the world's greatest kryptonite detector and have his dad dig it up.

5. Write down everything he remembers about Luthor's crimes any any evidence that he collected the first time around. If any of that exists yet, start getting a hold of it. If it hasn't happened yet, Clark's got the upper hand and will be able to obtain evidence in a more timely manner when it does happen.
Very, very good point. Also, add all Luthor's crimes that Clark does know about, but can't prove. Then have him get a good camera, get Perry's, Jimmy's and Henderson's help early on and work on bringing Lex down.

Or he could actually use his knowledge to play with Lois. Like telling her about the three rules he lives by. (He might just copy Lois' rules - or change them, whichever.)

You know, Clark might even find ways to stop Lois from dating Lex. Simply make enough accidents to Lex' organisation happen so he can't spare the time. Or hold Lex captive in his very own wine cellar for the duration of the (intended) date. Or get him all locked up in his (suddenly dysfunctional) elevator.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Nice idea.
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
“You can do things right, this time; fix history so there's no cage, no wedding, and no sickening marriage with bratty kids.”
My first thought is Clark is not going to think his own marriage or his own kids.

-No cage, he will understand that one.

-No sickening marriage , here he will be thinking of the sickening marriage of Lex and Lois. He will be pleased to stop that.

-No ... bratty kids. Yup, no kids for Lois and Lex.

From Clark's point of view he just needs to keep Lois from marrying Lex and from having kids.

So since he already knows Metropolis he won't need to be partnered with Lois and he will be focusing on bringing down Lex.

I think he also will completely avoid the Daily Planet as Superman, also I think he should be wear a very different costume.

I think he will want to hide his alien origins and any clue to his identity. So have him dress as Ironman.

Have him use a voice modifier and strong accents.

Framework4
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm, a good excuse to re-watch Season 1!!!

Right off the bat, one of the biggest things I think he'd want to change is Samuel Platt's murder. He felt guilty about that, and I'm sure it's been hanging on his conscience.

I think Lois might get suspicious of Clark having so many insights into their investigations, and it might end up drawing her attention much closer than he'd like (and not in a good way!)

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard