Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#227825 04/19/14 07:03 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
The Online Books Page

This site is a great source of free e-books. Everything there is in the public domain, so it's free and legal to download or read online. I use it at work when teachers want class sets of classic novels that I don't have enough of.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#227826 04/19/14 05:31 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Another great place to get free books downloaded is the Project Gutenberg site. Again, all books are in the public domain.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#227827 04/20/14 02:05 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
EBook Daily lets you know about books that are temporarily marked down as free on Amazon.com. There are three books per day per genre; genres include, inter alia, mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.

Because the books are on Amazon's site, you would need to have either a Kindle or a Kindle app.

Joy,
Lynn

#227828 04/20/14 03:40 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
EBook Daily lets you know about books that are temporarily marked down as free on Amazon.com. There are three books per day per genre; genres include, inter alia, mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.

Because the books are on Amazon's site, you would need to have either a Kindle or a Kindle app.

Joy,
Lynn
That's awesome! And if you don't have a Kindle, you can download the Kindle app to your computer.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
#227829 04/20/14 05:32 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for sharing these! I knew about PG but not the others. Looks like I need to recharge my Kindle. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Annie B. #252865 04/26/14 10:09 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Manybooks.net is pretty good too, it's mostly an aggregator site with links to Gutenberg and other copyright-expired sources, but it's got some nice sorting features for finding e.g. science fiction rather than just looking by author name.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Annie B. #252931 04/27/14 08:22 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
*grumble* Take two. Was told my post had been submitted but no sign of it. :P

Okay, where was I? Oh, yeah...my latest EBook Daily email came with a link to BookBub, which is another great little resource. Large list of categories to choose. Not all of the books are free, but those which aren't are still cheap at around £1 and many are by bestselling authors.

Okay, now discovered how to put a hotlink in my post, so: BookBub

Thanks again for the EBook Daily link, Lynn. Getting those emails is a highlight of my day!

One thing non-Americans should be aware of when using Ebook Daily. Often, when I click on a free book and am redirected to Amazon UK, I find the book isn't free there. It's not a huge issue, but just remember to doublecheck before you click to download, do you don't accidentally end up paying for your 'free' book.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/27/14 09:24 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Annie B. #253102 04/28/14 06:42 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I get enewsletters from the following:

Book Sends
Ereader News Today
Free Kindle Ebooks (longest list, WAY more uncurated on their website, and they have a UK option)
Freebook Sifter (just discovered this about 10 seconds ago, haven't checked it out)

Like Labby said, you have to make sure the book is free in your country. Watch for that!!

Cheers...

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
Annie B. #253105 04/28/14 07:14 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Kismett! I can't get enough of these sites. Off to check these out now!

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/28/14 07:16 AM. Reason: One day I'll actually learn how to type on this Nexus

The Musketeers
LabRat #253233 04/28/14 08:38 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by LabRat
Thanks, Kismett! I can't get enough of these sites. Off to check these out now!

LabRat smile

Thanks to the free books lists, I have about 10K Kindle books in my Amazon cloud. Cookbooks galore!! Also a disturbing number of trashy romances....

wink

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
Annie B. #253278 04/29/14 05:57 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL - yes. I have a very boring, lengthy hospital appointment today and my Kindle full of interesting new additions is definitely coming with me! Plenty to choose from - shouldn't get bored. wink

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/29/14 05:57 AM.

The Musketeers
Annie B. #253373 04/30/14 03:38 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The Free Book Sifter lists all the free books on Amazon by genre and subgenre. smile1

Annie B. #253966 05/11/14 02:46 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Thanks soooo much for these links...my Kindle and I are happy and have downloaded loads of books! Can't wait to start reading smile

Lois Lane: [to Clark] All right, maybe, somewhere very deep inside me is some eensy-weensy, microcosmic - although highly unlikely - possibility that I feel some sort of unmotivated, completely unrealistic attraction to you.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard