Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Annie B. Free E-Books - 04/19/14 11:03 AM
The Online Books Page

This site is a great source of free e-books. Everything there is in the public domain, so it's free and legal to download or read online. I use it at work when teachers want class sets of classic novels that I don't have enough of.
Posted By: IreneD Re: Free E-Books - 04/19/14 09:31 PM
Another great place to get free books downloaded is the Project Gutenberg site. Again, all books are in the public domain.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Free E-Books - 04/20/14 06:05 AM
EBook Daily lets you know about books that are temporarily marked down as free on Amazon.com. There are three books per day per genre; genres include, inter alia, mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.

Because the books are on Amazon's site, you would need to have either a Kindle or a Kindle app.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Annie B. Re: Free E-Books - 04/20/14 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
EBook Daily lets you know about books that are temporarily marked down as free on Amazon.com. There are three books per day per genre; genres include, inter alia, mysteries, science fiction, and biographies.

Because the books are on Amazon's site, you would need to have either a Kindle or a Kindle app.

Joy,
Lynn
That's awesome! And if you don't have a Kindle, you can download the Kindle app to your computer.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Free E-Books - 04/20/14 09:32 AM
Thanks for sharing these! I knew about PG but not the others. Looks like I need to recharge my Kindle. laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Free E-Books - 04/27/14 02:09 AM
Manybooks.net is pretty good too, it's mostly an aggregator site with links to Gutenberg and other copyright-expired sources, but it's got some nice sorting features for finding e.g. science fiction rather than just looking by author name.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Free E-Books - 04/27/14 12:22 PM
*grumble* Take two. Was told my post had been submitted but no sign of it. :P

Okay, where was I? Oh, yeah...my latest EBook Daily email came with a link to BookBub, which is another great little resource. Large list of categories to choose. Not all of the books are free, but those which aren't are still cheap at around £1 and many are by bestselling authors.

Okay, now discovered how to put a hotlink in my post, so: BookBub

Thanks again for the EBook Daily link, Lynn. Getting those emails is a highlight of my day!

One thing non-Americans should be aware of when using Ebook Daily. Often, when I click on a free book and am redirected to Amazon UK, I find the book isn't free there. It's not a huge issue, but just remember to doublecheck before you click to download, do you don't accidentally end up paying for your 'free' book.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Kismatt Re: Free E-Books - 04/28/14 10:42 AM
I get enewsletters from the following:

Book Sends
Ereader News Today
Free Kindle Ebooks (longest list, WAY more uncurated on their website, and they have a UK option)
Freebook Sifter (just discovered this about 10 seconds ago, haven't checked it out)

Like Labby said, you have to make sure the book is free in your country. Watch for that!!

Cheers...
Posted By: LabRat Re: Free E-Books - 04/28/14 11:14 AM
Thanks, Kismett! I can't get enough of these sites. Off to check these out now!

LabRat smile
Posted By: Kismatt Re: Free E-Books - 04/29/14 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by LabRat
Thanks, Kismett! I can't get enough of these sites. Off to check these out now!

LabRat smile

Thanks to the free books lists, I have about 10K Kindle books in my Amazon cloud. Cookbooks galore!! Also a disturbing number of trashy romances....

wink
Posted By: LabRat Re: Free E-Books - 04/29/14 09:57 AM
LOL - yes. I have a very boring, lengthy hospital appointment today and my Kindle full of interesting new additions is definitely coming with me! Plenty to choose from - shouldn't get bored. wink

LabRat smile
Posted By: dcarson Re: Free E-Books - 04/30/14 07:38 AM
The Free Book Sifter lists all the free books on Amazon by genre and subgenre. smile1
Posted By: LaraLucretia Re: Free E-Books - 05/11/14 06:46 PM
Thanks soooo much for these links...my Kindle and I are happy and have downloaded loads of books! Can't wait to start reading smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards