Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Has anyone else seen this series? I remember watching it and enjoying it during the time when new episodes were first airing, but I hadn't seen the show in years until just recently. I'd purchased the DVDs for the series some time ago, but I only recently finished watching the show. After getting through the entire series, I think I appreciate how good it is now more than I did when I first saw the show.

Tim Daly and Dana Delany are absolutely perfect as Superman and Lois Lane. They are officially my favorite animated versions of Lois and Clark.

The animation for the show is really good, too. I'd put it right next to the Fleischer cartoons in quality.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the show was how they utilized the villains. I felt like this show managed to give each of them a fresh feel even though most of them were classic Superman villains I'd seen before. I especially liked the episodes involving Darkseid and Bizarro.

The only minor complaint I have is that I would have liked to have seen more development of Lois and Clark's romance. I understand why there wasn't more development in that department, though, since this was an animated series with children intended to be a big chunk of the audience. In the end, that one small complaint wasn't that big of a problem to me.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've seen it and loved it. I hadn't known anything about Darkseid till I saw this series.

I agree with you about the L/C romance. It was just heating up at the end of the last episode. I really wanted to see more of that.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I also liked the appearances of other DC Comics superheroes. The three part episode with Batman was especially good. If the upcoming live action Batman/Superman crossover is as good as what they did with the characters on this show, I'll be very happy.

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
I agree with you about the L/C romance. It was just heating up at the end of the last episode. I really wanted to see more of that.
I know! It would have been nice to have seen where they would have gone with it had it lasted a season or two more.

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan:
I know! It would have been nice to have seen where they would have gone with it had it lasted a season or two more.
I agree. Things were just getting good between the two of them, and I would like to have seen more of that.

Justice League and then Justice League Unlimited follow after the Superman cartoon, but neither will give you what you're looking for. They are good shows, but there is almost no mention of anyone's secret identities throughout the series. Clark doesn't show up - he's always Superman. Lois appears once or twice, if I recall, but she's nowhere near a regular character. In fact, I get really sick of Superman by the end of the series because he's increasingly smug and condescending. (He doesn't really start out that way, though.) The writers seemed to forget that he's still Clark Kent, Kansas farmboy. They seemed to forget that any of the JL members have day jobs or ever interact with normal people as normal people.

One of the things I really like about Superman The Animated Series is that it has a really good balance between Clark and Superman screen time. One of the things that really draws me to Superman as a character is that dichotomy. He's way overpowered and could do basically anything he wanted to, but he still chooses to go to work in the morning and have things done by deadline and deal with obnoxious co-workers.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Justice League and then Justice League Unlimited follow after the Superman cartoon, but neither will give you what you're looking for. They are good shows, but there is almost no mention of anyone's secret identities throughout the series. Clark doesn't show up - he's always Superman. Lois appears once or twice, if I recall, but she's nowhere near a regular character. In fact, I get really sick of Superman by the end of the series because he's increasingly smug and condescending. (He doesn't really start out that way, though.) The writers seemed to forget that he's still Clark Kent, Kansas farmboy. They seemed to forget that any of the JL members have day jobs or ever interact with normal people as normal people.
I watched "Justice League"/"Justice League Unlimited" after I finished watching "Superman: The Animated Series," and I have to agree. While I enjoyed the show quite a bit, it would have been nice to have seen more of the heroes' secret identities. I was first introduced to Superman from watching "Super Friends" cartoons as a kid, so "Justice League" appealed to me for many reasons. However, the big area where the producers dropped the ball was in not showing us the regular lives of the characters.

One of the things I really like about Superman The Animated Series is that it has a really good balance between Clark and Superman screen time. One of the things that really draws me to Superman as a character is that dichotomy. He's way overpowered and could do basically anything he wanted to, but he still chooses to go to work in the morning and have things done by deadline and deal with obnoxious co-workers. [/qb]
Again, I agree. I've long believed that the best way to make Superman relatable is by making the viewers relate to Clark. It might not be easy to relate to Superman because of all of his powers, but Clark Kent is very easy to relate to when written well. This show did a great job with the writing for Clark, and it made for a more enjoyable show because of that.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard