Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
I just read an article from Forbes where the author seemed to be saying that a low quality production in Man of Steel made people less likely to watch a sequel, no matter how good the sequel will be.

I actually have a different take. To me the fact that we start with a Lois knows who Superman really is quickly plot makes me very excited about a sequel.

Even though I thought that Man of Steel went too far with the destruction scenes, I am still willing to watch a sequel.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
The Wall Street journal had an article that suggested we may see the sequel to Man of Steel in 2014. That seems really early, since with Man of Steel it took about a year from when they ended their main filming to when they released it. Of course, it the sequel less special effects it might be produced quicker.

John Pack Lambert
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I'll see the sequel. The first one left off at a place I would have liked to see this reboot start, so I'm hoping that it will be better.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
More likely. I didn't decide to watch MOS until the day I saw it on opening day. I'd not followed the production, didn't even know Zod was the villain, and, most importantly had heard about how the Kents were about Clark's powers (which did turn out to be my least favorite part of the movie). I wasn't sure I wanted to see it. But I had decided to take the day off, and then I realized the movie was out, and watched a couple promos and decided to go for it. And I liked it. I didn't think it was perfect, and I had some issues, but I liked it. So I am actively planning to see the sequel when it comes out, that's a step up from how I was for MOS.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
I just read an article from Forbes where the author seemed to be saying that a low quality production in Man of Steel made people less likely to watch a sequel, no matter how good the sequel will be.
I have no idea what they mean by "low quality production". huh The special effects were good, the acting was excellent, and the script was 100-fold better than Superman Returns.

I've heard an 2015 estimate for a Superman sequel, but if they rush into something without a quality script, it doesn't matter when it comes out. They need to address what people didn't like about this film (How Zod Died), because if they don't it *will* tank. And if they start off with a memory wipe kiss, they might as well say goodbye to Superman forever, because they'll have killed him.

I personally would like to see a plot, which has nothing to do with Clark's old life: the Kents, Smallville, or Krypton. I'd like to see something, which focuses on his new life: Lois, being Clark, and The Daily Planet. I'd like Clark trying to balance his life between being a reporter and being SM, and coming to terms with having actually killed someone with his bare hands. I'd like him to get a friend who didn't know he was SM, so Jimmy could work well in that position, and start to get to know Lois. They'll probably bring in Lex Luthor, but he's kind of the go-to villain in the Superman movies and, personally, I'm getting bored with him. I'd like to see something / someone new. Maybe if they made Luthor the head of some B39 type terrorist movement against Superman, because he brought Zod to Earth and destroyed Metropolis, but we'll see.

I was wary of MoS at first because of all the star power. If they bring back more Pa Kent flashbacks or Jor-El, I'd seriously consider waiting until DVD.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] I just read an article from Forbes where the author seemed to be saying that a low quality production in Man of Steel made people less likely to watch a sequel, no matter how good the sequel will be.
I have no idea what they mean by "low quality production". huh The special effects were good, the acting was excellent, and the script was 100-fold better than Superman Returns.

I've heard an 2015 estimate for a Superman sequel, but if they rush into something without a quality script, it doesn't matter when it comes out. They need to address what people didn't like about this film (How Zod Died), because if they don't it *will* tank. And if they start off with a memory wipe kiss, they might as well say goodbye to Superman forever, because they'll have killed him.

I personally would like to see a plot, which has nothing to do with Clark's old life: the Kents, Smallville, or Krypton. I'd like to see something, which focuses on his new life: Lois, being Clark, and The Daily Planet. I'd like Clark trying to balance his life between being a reporter and being SM, and coming to terms with having actually killed someone with his bare hands. I'd like him to get a friend who didn't know he was SM, so Jimmy could work well in that position, and start to get to know Lois. They'll probably bring in Lex Luthor, but he's kind of the go-to villain in the Superman movies and, personally, I'm getting bored with him. I'd like to see something / someone new. Maybe if they made Luthor the head of some B39 type terrorist movement against Superman, because he brought Zod to Earth and destroyed Metropolis, but we'll see.

I was wary of MoS at first because of all the star power. If they bring back more Pa Kent flashbacks or Jor-El, I'd seriously consider waiting until DVD. [/b]
I should be more precise in my wording. I got the impression that guy just thought the film did not measure up. Although he seemed to assume it did not measure up and did not explain why.

I have to say that after seeing the film I want to see a sequel. I want to see Lois and Clark working at the Planet with Lois knowing The Secret from the start. I want to see Lois be the one who comes up with excuses for where Clark is when he runs off to be superman.

Hopefully they will find a way to bring more humor into the sequel. They tried to do some humor with the kiss scene, and I actually thought it was funny, but lots of other people seem to think it showed Clark did not think of himself as human. I thought it was a humorous response and Clark trying to lessen Lois' stress, so I thought it was good. Maybe because it seemed exactly like the response the L&C Clark would have given, despite his being clear he is Clark and not Superman, he would have been willing to say something like that to make it so Lois would obsess less.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
And if they start off with a memory wipe kiss, they might as well say goodbye to Superman forever, because they'll have killed him.
Lois has known too long for that to even make sense. Plus, with so many other people knowing, what would he do, MWK everyone?

I hope that people have realized that the MWK was the stupidest thing ever, and never use it on Lois, ever again.

Anyway, even if for some inexplicable reason Clark did MWK Lois (which would be horrible, just because having such a power is an outrage to all things good), it would not work. Lois would just figure out again in 2 minutes flat, because this Lois is that good.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
They'll probably bring in Lex Luthor, but he's kind of the go-to villain in the Superman movies and, personally, I'm getting bored with him.
In some ways though, Luthor is the go-to name for a villain. Other than having the same name, there is little continuinty between various incarnations of Luthor. He is a very different character in Smallville, L&C, the Animated Series, The Christopher Reeve movies, various incarnations in the comics.

Clark and Lois are always reporters, Lex is only consistently the bad guy.

John Pack Lambert
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I'm planning on seeing the sequel when it comes out. There are so many possibilities of where they could go after this first film. I'm looking forward to the development of Lois and Clark's relationship, more scenes involving the Daily Planet, and the introduction of Lex Luthor.

They'll probably bring in Lex Luthor, but he's kind of the go-to villain in the Superman movies and, personally, I'm getting bored with him. I'd like to see something / someone new.
I think they should have two different villains like many of the Batman films have done. That way, they could use Lex since he's Superman's most well known enemy while still introducing a villain who we haven't seen before. If they use Lex and another villain, they could have someone paired with him who is more of a physical threat to Superman. After all, I'm sure they'll want to follow up the action scenes with Zod with more action scenes for the sequel.

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
In some ways though, Luthor is the go-to name for a villain. Other than having the same name, there is little continuinty between various incarnations of Luthor.
I'd never thought of it in precisely those terms, but you are absolutely correct. Lex is a villain, but that's really his only consistent character trait across fandoms.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My sequel theory:

1) The military (and heck, everyone else) will be freaked out that a Kryptonian is still living on Earth. After all, look what those Kryptonians did to Metropolis and the Indian Ocean! Billions of dollars of property damage and hundreds of thousands of lives lost.

2) The military and the civilian powers: "We can't do anything to stop this guy." (as was so graphically shown in the movie.) "We need to find something that will hurt him so that we are not helpless if this Superman guy goes rogue. Yeah, he says he's a friend right now, but what if he doesn't stay friendly?"

3) Lois Lane mentioned that the World Engine was making things more like Krypton, where Superman wouldn't have powers/abilities. I think she might have said this in front of some military guys. "Maybe we should go look at the debris from where the World Engine was and see if anything there will affect Superman."

E.g, I can see KRYPTONITE being invented in this movie universe.

4) "We'll investigate it from a military point of view" say the generals. "But we need some scientific guys looking at things too. They should investigate that World Engine, and the spaceship wreckage, and the remnants of Metropolis that got crunched by the gravity waves. Gee, doesn't LexCorp have a R&D division? And how about Wayne Industries? And what about all the universities and think tanks out there? After all, our species was nearly destroyed. We've got to learn more so this doesn't happen again!"

Meanwhile, Lois and Clark will be working together at the Daily Planet. Clark won't stay a stringer for long (or will he? Interesting plotbunny there.) They'll have a slowly-increasing romance at the same time they're writing stories about the rebuilding of Metropolis. Lois will be using her sources to check into the investigation of what makes Superman vulnerable. However, her investigation will be hampered, because everyone will be surveilling her because they know she knows Superman's civilian identity.

So... I can see a huge effort at trying to understand Kryptonian technology. Kryptonite (or maybe red sun radiation) will be discovered. Somehow Superman will be found to be vulnerable to it. He will get into trouble. Lois will have to save him somehow.

I'm still debating the ancillary events, like, "Will Perry find out that CK=SM?" "Will Jimmy Olsen show up?" and, importantly, "Will Lois and Clark achieve physical intimacy?"

J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Well, apparently one of the auctioned Lois Lane prop items was a faux-diamond wedding ring. So maybe Lois and Clark at least get engaged in MoS2, and they filmed some of the MoS2 scenes while filming MoS.

One thing is for sure, they would break new ground if they did a Lois and Clark wedding in the next movie. Sure, it was done in the comics, Lois and Clark, and I guess sortof in Smallville, but it has never been done in a live-action Superman movie. I would be shocked if they did that, but I was also shocked they let Lois learn SM=CK so quickly, excited but still shocked, so maybe they will break ground like that.

Although, as it stands at the end of MoS, Lois and Clark have shared one kiss in the midst of a really exciting experience, they have not even started to date.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, apparently one of the auctioned Lois Lane prop items was a faux-diamond wedding ring. So maybe Lois and Clark at least get engaged in MoS2, and they filmed some of the MoS2 scenes while filming MoS.

One thing is for sure, they would break new ground if they did a Lois and Clark wedding in the next movie. Sure, it was done in the comics, Lois and Clark, and I guess sortof in Smallville, but it has never been done in a live-action Superman movie. I would be shocked if they did that, but I was also shocked they let Lois learn SM=CK so quickly, excited but still shocked, so maybe they will break ground like that.

Although, as it stands at the end of MoS, Lois and Clark have shared one kiss in the midst of a really exciting experience, they have not even started to date.
It could always be an undercover assignment like in SM-II or HiM, or a gift from a friend like the one Clark gave Lana in SM-III.

EDIT: Since any sequel will be at least 2 years out, I recommend you stop searching the Internet for information. It will only drive you crazy.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] Well, apparently one of the auctioned Lois Lane prop items was a faux-diamond wedding ring. So maybe Lois and Clark at least get engaged in MoS2, and they filmed some of the MoS2 scenes while filming MoS.

It could always be an undercover assignment like in SM-II or HiM, or a gift from a friend like the one Clark gave Lana in SM-III.

EDIT: Since any sequel will be at least 2 years out, I recommend you stop searching the Internet for information. It will only drive you crazy. [/b]
Actually, it is pure speculation that this has anything to do with MoS2, it showed up on the internet before as speculation building up to MoS. Even there some people thought it was part of going undercover, but lots of people seemed to thing it meant Lois would be engaged to someone else. I guess Superman Returns had made that a real fear, and from what I vaguely know about Superman in the New 52, it has done nothing for those of us who know that the Clark Kent-Lois Lane pairing is the only acceptable one to be confident the people who develop these stories realize such.

I did come across one person who suggested that with Dr. Hamilton gone at the end of MoS, they could bring in Dr. Klein as the new scientist.

Although more what I come across is people who talk about the various backgrounds of Superman Man of Steel is building on/competing with, who mention Smallville and the Reeves movies, and do not mention Lois and Clark.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard