Next Thread
Print Thread
#251930 01/25/13 12:50 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
According to this site , the new Man of Steel movie doesn't have a "Jimmy Olsen" as a character, but it does have a "Jenny Olsen".

Thoughts on Jimmy's possible change of gender?

Joy,
Lynn

#251931 01/25/13 01:16 AM
Kerth
Kerth
They read our genderbender challenge and decided on a partial genderbender for Olsen... goofy

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#251932 01/25/13 06:34 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't know. Jimmy's supposed to be Clark Kent's pal, wouldn't that cause some conflict if they make the a character a beautiful woman? (Conflict with Lois as the romantic lead, that is.) While we all know that woman and men can be "just friends", Hollywood has difficulty with this concept and starts out many of romance with friendships. Now, if "Jenny Olsen" turns out to be Lois's pal, not Clark's, then that makes more sense.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#251933 01/26/13 05:18 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
It's possible that because of the lack of 'success' with the past Superman movies that those behind this latest attempt felt they needed to tinker with the franchise.

I can see the very real possibility of, what could be a very good 'coming of age' movie, could be tainted for Superman fans by such moves.

What could be considered inconsequencial to the average movie goer could very well irk those of us who have followed the franchise in it's various forms for years.

I don't care how good an actress Amy Adams may be, the fact that they can't even stick a dark wig on her head leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

A red-headed Lois Lane... really?

Tank (who says that the producers will win anyway because even though he will be annoyed by some of the 'changes' he will go see it none the less)

#251934 01/26/13 07:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Obviously, they're ripping off my story Tryst... although in mine, her name was Ginny. And romantically, she would have been more interested in Lois, I suspect...

Oh well, whatchagonnado...

PJ
who will probably not see the movie

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#251935 01/26/13 07:09 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I'm with Tank. I'm not happy about some of the changes, and I think that people who have loved the Superman myth for years will be iffy about the changes as well. The fact is though, I'll still see it as well, and probably lots of people will. It just means there will be a lot of discussion, I guess!

I might wait for it to go on pay per vu though. I watched the first five minutes of Superman Returns and had to turn it off. dizzy

.talk nerdy to me.
#251936 01/26/13 07:23 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
At first I was a little "I don't know" on Amy in the red hair (only because one of my favorite fanfic fancasts her at their alternative-Lana.) With that said, the red-haired Lois doesn't bother me. She was red-haired from the beginning of the Byrne during and even through their wedding.

The Jimmy into Jenny has both positive and negatives to it. Positive in the idea that Lois is mentoring another female in a career path that has seen fewer women enter it over the years. On the negative, someone did point out how it would be a potential romantic rival (couldn't they just do that with Cat? It's been done before in the comics and suggested done in our favorite show.) Quite honestly I'm taking this rumor with a salt lick.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#251937 01/26/13 09:55 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jimmy Olsen is not going to be in the movie?

Isn't that kind of like Alfred not working for Bruce Wayne?

Just sayin...

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#251938 01/27/13 07:21 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Actually, making the spunky cub reporter a girl doesn't really cause many problems, so long as she isn't the romantic interest.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#251939 02/02/13 04:52 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I actually do not see anything wrong with Jenny Olsen, but it would definately change the dynamics between Olsen and Superman.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard