Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Columnist
Columnist
14 hours? That is way overboard. Don't you have a life?? Lol. I could not do that. I like to read fanfiction, and sometimes try to write it, but I could not sit inside for 14 hours working on one project for that long.

But to each their own..Still reallyweird tho.
If you think that it's "reallyweird" for someone to have enough dedication to spend fourteen hours in front of a computer to make their creative art as perfect as they possibly can, then I feel sorry for you.

Spending that much time and effort to create something that you can be proud of is commendable. If more people did that, this world would probably have a lot more beauty and art and a lot less hate and violence. I have often spent fourteen hours in front of my computer to put together a vid or a graphic. In fact, I did it last night till 4am for I'll Be Okay. If that makes me "reallyweird" then so be it.

Vidding is a highly technical art form. It's my creative outlet. I don't know what you'd call "having a life," but I call having a marketable skill like video editing and using it to display my personal creativity a great life. Thank you very much.

Furthermore, as you can see by the titles of the forums and the varied discussions that take place on these boards, this is not just a fanfiction site. In addition to a lot of great fanfic, these boards host original fiction, graphic art, videos, games, polls, and an entire forum called "Off Topic" where just about anything can be disscussed. The main, original purpose for creating these boards was to have another place to post, read, and discuss fanfiction, but that is far from it's only function.

Andie, I enjoyed your vid immensely. It's been awhile since I've seen Hurcules so I didn't remember the song, but it fit Lois and Clark very well, and you did a wonderful job of matching the clips to the lyrics. I, for one, want to thank you for spending all that time and energy to create it and share it with us. thumbsup

~Anna

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Spending that much time and effort to create something that you can be proud of is commendable.
I second Anna's thought. And I want to add: What fanfic writer does not spend *at least* 14 hours working on their stories. I know that even my short vignettes take more than 14 hours to go from a 1-2 line idea through brainstorming to writing to proofreading to sending to beta readers to adjusting the story to fit comments to proofreading again (several times) to posting. It isn't 14 hours all in one day, but it is probably more than 14 hours in total.

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Originally posted by BanAnna:
14 hours? That is way overboard. Don't you have a life?? Lol. I could not do that. I like to read fanfiction, and sometimes try to write it, but I could not sit inside for 14 hours working on one project for that long.

But to each their own..Still reallyweird tho.
If you think that it's "reallyweird" for someone to have enough dedication to spend fourteen hours in front of a computer to make their creative art as perfect as they possibly can, then I feel sorry for you.

Spending that much time and effort to create something that you can be proud of is commendable. If more people did that, this world would probably have a lot more beauty and art and a lot less hate and violence. I have often spent fourteen hours in front of my computer to put together a vid or a graphic. In fact, I did it last night till 4am for I'll Be Okay. If that makes me "reallyweird" then so be it.

Vidding is a highly technical art form. It's my creative outlet. I don't know what you'd call "having a life," but I call having a marketable skill like video editing and using it to display my personal creativity a great life. Thank you very much.

Furthermore, as you can see by the titles of the forums and the varied discussions that take place on these boards, this is not [b]just
a fanfiction site. In addition to a lot of great fanfic, these boards host original fiction, graphic art, videos, games, polls, and an entire forum called "Off Topic" where just about anything can be disscussed. The main, original purpose for creating these boards was to have another place to post, read, and discuss fanfiction, but that is far from it's only function.

Andie, I enjoyed your vid immensely. It's been awhile since I've seen Hurcules so I didn't remember the song, but it fit Lois and Clark very well, and you did a wonderful job of matching the clips to the lyrics. I, for one, want to thank you for spending all that time and energy to create it and share it with us. thumbsup

~Anna [/b]
There's no need to get so defensive and attack me!! I wasn't insulting anyone on purpose! I just thought that 14 hours straight in front of a computer was a lot to do. I said "But to each their own."! People know there's something strange about what they do if they get defensive so quick.. Why get so defensive if you think what you do is justified?? confused

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There's no need to get so defensive and attack me!! I wasn't insulting anyone on purpose! I just thought that 14 hours straight in front of a computer was a lot to do. I said "But to each their own."! People know there's something strange about what they do if they get defensive so quick.. Why get so defensive if you think what you do is justified??
You may have said to each their own, DigitalSky, but you threw in a few abrasive comments around that qualifier, that were almost bound to irritate people. Or did you expect that no one would mind you telling them they were really weird and had no life? goofy

I haven't seen anyone get particularly defensive - they're simply trying to explain the concept of videos to you as you don't seem to understand it. They really have nothing to be defensive about. Videos aren't just a part of this forum but are considered a pretty normal and standard part of fandoms all over the net. They're a pretty common feature. And they hardly need to justify themselves - all they're doing is enjoying their love of the show, just like everyone else on this forum, in a way that suits their particular talents. And providing a lot of pleasure for their fellow fans along the way. Videos are a very popular genre. Not just in this fandom.

Nor can I say I've seen people attacking you. Here and there the tone of replies to your comments may be a little...terse. But, again, you can hardly expect otherwise when a new member comes onto the forum and with their first posts immediately tells other members that they're weird and pathetic (which is what the phrase 'don't you have a life' means) simply for doing something so normal in fandoms it doesn't usually provoke comment. That kind of thing tends to irk people slightly. laugh

I think the lesson learned here is if you don't want to feel attacked, don't come into a forum and introduce yourself with an attitude that attacks your fellow members.

I get the impression from your last post that nothing anyone says is going to convince you that making videos is anything other than 'strange'. Personally I think that's your loss as they can be a wonderful form of entertainment imo. But...each to their own. wink

But there's absolutely no need for you to hang out here in FoLC productions if videos aren't to your taste. There are plenty of fanfic folders for you to choose from, if that's more appealing to you. smile Certainly though, hanging out in here and insulting those who don't share your opinion on the concept really isn't likely to win you many friends.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
People know there's something strange about what they do if they get defensive so quick..
So, by this logic, if I say your mother's a slut, and you take offense at that, it's because you agree that your mother's a slut? Interesting thought process you got there goofy

PJ
with apologies to your mother

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And on a more on-topic note -- Andie, I just saw this and I love it. smile1 Especially love the transition when the music ramps up at the beginning and it's Lois slapping Clark <g> That just really flowed well. Lots of other good moments, too.

Thanks for sharing it!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So, by this logic, if I say your mother's a slut, and you take offense at that, it's because you agree that your mother's a slut? Interesting thought process you got there

PJ
Sorry Pam, I had to laugh at that lol wink

Andie, I saw the video the other day and didn't have enough time to comment! frown Wonderful, I love the song! Great job! laugh

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

PS: You should think about doing a song to Hercules "Go The Distance" featuring Clark...OMG Andie if you did that I would be soooooo happy! That's a perfect song for him! Please think about it wink smile

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
help but hey, what can I say? It pays the bills smile

And I am weird...I admit it! I'm not normal...far from it. I've said/done a few strange things (ask Rach, Jen, or Steph they could tell you some stories... wink )

Making music videos are a way of helping cope after a stress filled day. Its my hobby, one that I am mighty proud of. Heck it keeps me off the streets! wink

If I just had to make music videos for a living.. goofy

Anyways...I know that its for a different reason added comments were made but can I just say: WAHOO!!! I GOT OVER 20 COMMENTS!!!! thumbsup thumbsup wave

Am I gay? I'm ECSTATIC!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Weisz and Rae for the Rockin Icon.
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
People know there's something strange about what they do if they get defensive so quick..
So, by this logic, if I say your mother's a slut, and you take offense at that, it's because you agree that your mother's a slut? Interesting thought process you got there goofy

PJ
lol. Actually, I would not take offense to it cuz I know it's not true! Just like she should not have taken offense to me being curiuos, I just asked a question! If you guyz thought my comments were "terse", and got offended by a question, how could you handle real tough critisizing of your stories?? I heard publishers are tough. Could you handle the truth? goofy I'm just wondering. I have not seen a place like this before. smile

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you guyz thought my comments were "terse", and got offended by a question, how could you handle real tough critisizing of your stories??
Digit, your comment about whether the maker of this video "had a life" was just rude and personal though, it had nothing to do with the criticism of this video. This whole section of the board is meant for videos and trailers and is a fun place to see clips of our favorite show set to music.

I, for one, totally appreciate the talent and dedication of the FOLCs willing to make these, and your aggressive tactics in questioning this hobby when others are explaining nicely is even more indicative of rude and terse intentions. Best you word your expression differently if you feel attacked by the replies.

TJgruffs

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If you guyz thought my comments were "terse", and got offended by a question, how could you handle real tough critisizing of your stories??
Why would they have to? This is a hobby, a bit of fun, it's not paid work. If authors and vidders want to venture into the rough and tumble of the publishing world, then that's a whole new ball of wax.

Which isn't to say they couldn't handle criticism or that it's unheard of. But there's a world of difference between constructive criticism, which is helpful and most often than not appreciated by the vidders and authors here on the mbs, and the kind of comments previously made by you, which were simply rude and abrasive.

It is generally a rule of these mbs, too, that you confine your comments/constructive criticism to the story/video and refrain from making personal criticism of/attacks on individual board members. If you're not aware of this net convention, that's generally called 'flaming' someone and most net communities take a dim view of it. A rule you sailed very close to breaking. I wouldn't say you flamed anyone - yet. But it wasn't far off.

Just like she should not have taken offense to me being curiuos, I just asked a question!
Hardly that, DigitalSky. Had you simply asked a question no one would have taken offence. But, of course, it's not the questions asked, but the way in which they're expressed. Worded as they are, your questions sound more like challenges or baiting than curiosity. As someone has already said - there's been an aggressive undertone to the way they've been worded.

It is difficult sometimes in the medium of a messageboard to express yourself clearly. Often, people come across as meaning one thing when they don't intend to sound that way. If this is the case with you and you simply don't see how aggressive and rude you are appearing to others, then perhaps you could think a little more about how you express your questions. Dial it down a little. wink The FoLCs here are generally a friendly and accommodating bunch - if they're treated that way in the first place.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have not seen a place like this before.
Well, the whole idea of music videos came from other fandoms, so we're not that unique. Take a look sometime; I'm sure you'll find plenty of vidding sites. smile

But since you are new, I'll clue you in -- we try real hard to be polite around here, and respect each other's choices. Flames and rude comments are definitely *not* the norm, no matter what might be accepted elsewhere on the 'net. And suggesting that someone is wasting their life is rude. (Also funny, considering that anyone who hangs out on a tv fandom website has *no* room to talk goofy )

So if you want to say "wow, I'd never have the patience to spend 14 hours on one of these things" that's fine; to say "wow, you're weird to spend 14 hours on videos" is rude.

Constructive criticism is welcomed here. "Wow, you're weird" is not constructive. wink

Now, putting my site admin hat on for a moment -- this section is for people who enjoy making and watching videos, and we want it to be a safe place for them to share that enthusiasm. You've made your opinion plain, and it's a perfectly valid opinion to have, but there's no need to repeat yourself and every reason not to. So unless you have something useful and polite to say, you should probably go hang out somewhere else (we have many other sections to these boards), where the focus is on something *you* enjoy. smile

PJ
site administrator

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
14 hours?? There are others out there? Im not alone?Some times I lose days when working on a project, and forget to eat.But you'er on a kind of a high, you know, and there is nothing else like it in the world.
P.S Very nice video.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I haven't managed to go 14 hours yet -- too much real life interfering! razz -- but I know that when I'm working on a video, time goes *so* fast. I sit down to maybe do a little bit, and then a little while later I realize... it's been four hours! eek Yeah, kind of like being on a high -- or being "in the zone."

It's fun laugh

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I always love checking out this thread. My hat's off to these talented people who put in a lot of time and effort to come out with good and entertaining videos to share.

Digitalsky, if you're intention was merely to criticize, then I must say, you're way off the mark. What you intended to express came across as rude, insulting and just downright mean. Is this what you consider a life? confused I agree with the others, if you find this thread simply not to "your liking" , then it's probably best for you to just go check out some other sites.

M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I am absolutely tickled by this vid! I didn't really like Disney's Hercules movie, though I thought this song was cute in it, but now that I've seen this video, I fully want the song! It's like love by association, or something.

Anyway, excellent matching of clips to lyrics and sound (the curtain closing, sighing parts, get a grip, got got got it bad parts are my favorites!) And I love the clips you picked for the end. I think most LnC fans will agree that those two moments (Clark caressing Lois' face and her holding his hand there and the Christmas scene) are indeed two moments in which Lois says she loves Clark without actually saying anything. So cute, cute, cute vid. Makes me smile and laugh and giggle and remember all the cute things about LnC that made me love the show in the first place. Thanks for the great vid!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard