Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#241436 05/28/05 08:50 PM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hi y'all.

I hope people don't get mad at me or groan or whatever.

I was just wondering if it is just me (and my group of pals) or not...but the subject lines are becoming difficult to differentiate.

Most of them start with 'new video' or something to that nature. They are all at one point a new video and well when they are not...how do you know? (Gee you can tell I'm so not a writer). I know you can tell by looking in on the thread, but I think it would be easier if the title of the vid/trailer would be first. Perhaps no 'new video'. That would be the main part and would look more consistent. Right now you have to weed through it.

The arrow idea that was put here was a great idea to make it pop out.

Well I just wanted to say WOW! So many new vids lately. I’m going to watch them tomorrow b/c I should go to bed. I can hardly wait!!! (wow, one for the story I am currently following - A Better Place.)

Thanks everyone, please don’t groan to much.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't really find this much of a problem - especially since I visit the boards on a daily basis. The new videos are the ones at the top of the forum, so it's easy enough to tell them apart. For the most part.

I will admit I've missed the odd new video here and there though. And the 'new video/trailer' does seem a bit superfluous. Although, again being indecisive on this one laugh , I find that what my eye seems to gravitate to most of all when I come into this folder is the word 'New' every time. So without it...maybe I'd personally find it more difficult to spot the new ones.

I don't think the arrow would make any difference to me as I never tend to even glance at those icons and they never helped me over in Fanfic. goofy But they might prove useful to others.

So, really...after all that deep thought - no idea either way on this one from yours truly. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Part of the problem is probably that we all comment in the same thread -- so at the top of the folder you can have something that says "new video" but it's been out for weeks and just getting a 15th comment.

It does make the threads look a little... cluttery. How's this for an idea? Use abbreviations -- MV (music video) and FFT (fanfic trailer).

MV -- Alone, by Heart
FFT -- The Accidental Husband

Kind of like FFQs, only different. <shrug> Besides de-cluttering the thread titles, it would also allow more of the video/trailer title to show on the boards' main screen.

Just a thought smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Part of the problem is probably that we all comment in the same thread -- so at the top of the folder you can have something that says "new video" but it's been out for weeks and just getting a 15th comment.
Perhaps we could adopt the same convention as in Fanfic and have a separate FDK thread for comments, rather than attaching them to the video/trailer thread?

Would that help? If so, anyone posting a video/trailer should probably start an FDK thread at the same time, just to encourage the practice and start the momentum rolling, I guess.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't know ... it makes sense to have a separate feedback thread for fanfic because the fic itself is so long. If you posted feedback in the same thread, you'd have to scroll through several pages just to get to the comments. In the case of a trailer or video, though, that's not an issue -- usually the first post includes a link and a few comments by the "author" of the video/trailer, and then the entire folder is still available for comments.

So I don't think having separate folders for comments makes sense for this forum. I think the way we are doing it is fine, except for possibly the titles of the folders. It makes sense that putting "new" on everything gets pointless since it all pops to the top with new comments anyway.

I like Pam's idea of MV and FFT abbreviations, or we could just short the full words to:

Video -- Broken
Trailer -- The Accidental Husband

And leave it at that. I personally think it's a good idea to differentiate between vids and trailers, since it tells people what to expect. But I agree with Roo that we probably don't need more than a single word or abbreviation to announce the title of the production in the topic name.

But then again, I'm all about reducing clutter. smile

Kathy

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard