Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So, I know it's become a little taboo to say Merry Christmas now, what with all the other holidays people are celebrating around this time of year.

I'm trying to make it my goal to say Merry Christmas more and Happy Holidays less.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I'm a bit biased. Over here, the hole PC-concept of "Happy Holidays" hasn't made an appearance (yet). And I figure it will be quite some time before it will. I mean, first they'd have to disallow the common practice of hanging crosses in classrooms before our version of Merry Christmas becomes non-PC blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
Kerth
Since I'm not religious, I'm not actually "celebrating" anything at Xmas - I participate as a general "giving people gifts" thing and have no problems with other people celebrating it any way they like, but that's about it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm with Marcus on this one. I think that people can get too hung up on the specifics and words when it comes to these issues. What surely matters is that someone has wished you a cheerful good time - no matter which words they used to do it. Accept the sentiment and don't sweat the rest. Life is too short to be offended about such things.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
In Australia, a holiday is what you Americans call a vacation, so 'Happy Holidays' doesn't make much sense.

('Happy Vacations' - even though you may not be going away. dizzy )

Merry Christmas is still very much accepted. Occasionally people use the rather bland 'Season's Greetings'.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ah but Seasons Greedings is a whole other issue... wink

Hm... need to break that out...

Columnist
Columnist
I say Merry Christmas. It is what I'm celebrating and America was founded on religious freedom and tolerance. So I should be able to say Merry Christmas. If you want to say Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanza (SP?) or whatever that is fine. I'm not offended. You are simply celebrating whatever holiday you celebrate at this time of year and wish me the same joy you feel.

No one asked me if I'm offended by some of the customs and dress practiced by others but I'm not suppose to visually (or verbally) practice my Christian religion because it might offend someone. THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON THE IDEA OF RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE. So people stopped being offended by every little thing and as you practice your beliefs (Christian and non-Christian) practice tolerance first and foremost. If we did that the world wouldn't be in the mess it is currently in.

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION. NOT FACT JUST MY OPINION. I'm not trying to offend anyone with my comments. I hope each and everyone one of you have a joyous whatever holiday you celebrate.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hmmm... it seems from the poll results and comments that most people are pretty relaxed about whatever Holiday wishes people send their way.

It must be a Houston thing then cause here, it is taboo to say Merry Christmas. I remember last year, there was a big hoopla about a nativity scene in someone's yard... though it may have been a subdivision entrance, now that I think about it. Pretty annoying. Glad to hear not everyone is as anal as this city...

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard