Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm with Yvonne in that I loved LnC: TNAOS because they took a totally mythical character - Superman - and made him a real person. Up until that show, I had no interest in Superman. Sure, I had seen the movies. But as far as I was concerned, he was just one of those comic book characters.

But in watching LnC, I fell in love with the Lois and Clark relationship. I wanted them to be together, felt the chemistry between them, agonized when they kept getting so close only to be pulled apart again and again. These two people were as "real" as any television characters could be, and their romance remains one of my favorites out there.

I don't expect all love stories to reflect reality. In fact, the best love stories, IMHO, are the farthest ones from reality because they are so great. How many real-life love stories exist that come even close to being that wonderful? There are always those little human foibles that can't be ignored in RL, so entering a fantasy is blissful escapism.

Even so, we each have our own parameters of what we like and don't like. That's cool. One person's cup of tea is another person's ice cold lemonade. I like a human Clark/Superman complete with the heart and faults of a more realistic man. Others prefer the idealistic version. And, thankfully, there are stories to appeal to all sets.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Top Banana
Top Banana
I like a human Clark/Superman complete with the heart and faults of a more realistic man.
Me too. wink He'd be pretty boring otherwise. And I hope that's how I've always written him.
I guess that's what attracted me about the show too (as well as .... the L & C relationship, of course smile ) - this was a Clark Kent who was interesting because he was more realistic, definitely not a "perfectman".
But that said, there was still about the character something of the idealist - his compulsion to use his powers to help others, as well as his sensitivity towards others in his everyday life, and also his integrity.
So for me it's not an 'either/ or' issue - what I loved was that CK/S was both that flawed ordinary man (plus had a sense of humour!) and yet at the same time was heroic. His complexity.

Now I've wandered somewhat OT, towards discussing CK/S's character, but it's a bit difficult to separate that out from the poll topic. smile

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
So for me it's not an 'either/ or' issue - what I loved was that CK/S was both that flawed ordinary man (plus had a sense of humour!) and yet at the same time was heroic. His complexity.
Now that, Carol, is something we can totally agree upon! smile

Yvonne

T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
And I, having started the poll, think it's great that you are discussing Clark's character, because that is really what this question is very much about anyway.

And seeing that I am the one who has come out most strongly in favour of a mythic, iconic love story and a Clark who is totally devoted to Lois, let me say, nevertheless, that I agree with you that Clark must have a very human personality, and he must be complex and flawed. I know I keep calling him Superman, but that is just because I've been thinking of him that way since I was twelve. The point I'm trying to make is that the man who is destined to be with Lois must also have superpowers. But, while I'll never be able to see the Lois and Clark TV series as a self-contained thing, independent of all the stories that have been told about this man - and this romantic couple - in other media, I definitely agree with you that L&C gives us the hands down best ever portrait of Clark, and Clark is the man who matters. Because Clark must ultimately be the real person if he's ever going to be with Lois. During all those years when Superman was the real person and Clark was the nerdy disguise, there was no way that he and Lois could realistically be together. She could never officially marry the superhero, and she could hardly sneak off to see him regularly while pretending to be single all the time. And there was no way she could share her life with that empty shell of a person who was only a nerdy distraction to keep people from seeing the man in the super-suit beneath. Clark must be a real, fully fleshed-out, complex person, if Lois is ever to share her life with him. Which is why it worries me that the upcoming movie is apparently bringing back the the idea that Clark is no more than a stupid front to hide the true man in the spandex.

Ann

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I'm an ardent Clark/Lois fan. But I also love the idea of Chlois, because SV's "Lois" doesn't have the essential Lois traits to me (ambition, dermination, and a love of journalism, to name a few) and I think Chloe is Lois in all ways but name, so . . .

I don't mind Clark having a few other relationships, but there should only be one love of his life, only one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, and that should be Lois.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I've never understood those who keep trying to overlay Lois onto Chloe. I don't see it at all. Chloe's interest in journalism is the ONLY thing that Chloe has in common with Lois.

Chole hasn't really shown the drive or the determination that has always earmarked Lois' attacks on a problem. Chole just seems to have a magic deus machina computer that answers all her questions. The the way she acts around Clark shows that she has no self-respect, nor independance. She's merely a love-struck, mooney teen-ager who hasn't outgrown her illogical crush as she has aged.

Ms. Mack may be a reasonable actress, but I don't see people's infatuation with her. Chole is not particularly an interesting, or even likable character. She has no real personality.

Tank (who, through these and Zoom's boards knows way too much about a show that he doesn't watch very often)

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I think Chloe's got it all. She is determined, she doesn't give up. She loves journalism with every fiber of her being. She wants to make the world a better place. She first worked for the DP at age fifteen, just like Lois. She was valedictorian like LnC's Lois. She took down a Luthor (abeit only briefly). She made a deal with a Luthor (comic Lois once did). She's now Clark's primary confidante, and he uses her as the example of why humans are not "insignificant and undependable" and I think it's quite interesting that she's the only one on the show urging him towards his "correct" destiny.

Also in the first ep of Smallville she was call "intrepid reporter" and she named Superboy.

I'm not "trying to overlay" anything. I've put a lot of thought of into this and it's my opinion.

You don't have to agree with me, but I certainly have reasons for my hope, not the least of which is that I find SV's Lois to lack the most essential Lois traits (ambition and love of journalism).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard