Page 1 of 2 1 2
#236030 01/08/06 12:12 PM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Alright, now. I've done my homework and looked at all the polls (well, at least the titles of them, anyway!), and even did a word search, and I think this one is new. dark or milk? for non-Americans, this I think translates as "plain chocolate" (dark) versus.... hm... waddya call it.... the stuff that's on snickers candy bars, Hershey's Kisses..... USA calls it milk chocolate. I call it a fine waste of plastic.

so tell me your thoughts! I'm going to try to give enough options too.

me: DARK. dark chocolate. but I do draw the line at the really dark stuff, which for an American comes at about the 70% Lindt stuff. More than that and I can't quite do it.

#236031 01/08/06 12:15 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You left out an option. White chocolate. With what you offered I chose milk chocolate. Not that I do not like dark, but some dark is too bitter.

Thanks, Judy
#236032 01/08/06 12:44 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Plain chocolate has always been too bitter for me and white chocolate too sweet. Milk chocolate is just right.

Although have to admit that over the last year or so my taste buds seem to have gravitated more towards savoury treats than chocolate. These days I'd much rather have some crisps than chocolate.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#236033 01/08/06 12:46 PM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
hm......darn.... you're right. confused (this comment directed to lovin my inc---Labby sneaked in there while I was typing! goofy )

yeah, I'll agree---some dark is too bitter. there's some pretty spooky stuff out there that carries the lable "chocolate". I spent three weeks with my sister in england in 2004, and saw the choices they have in london. americans just think they like chocolate, but some of the stuff I saw over there.... that stuff could sit down and whip you in a game of chess, it's so deep.

#236034 01/08/06 02:01 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't like dark chocolate. It's all too bitter for me. A bit too much.

Sean got me a platinum box of Godiva chocolates for my birthday. I've found I have to suffer through the dark chocolate and some of the other flavors.. Now that I've about finished the top layer, I know which ones to eat first, and which ones to save for special occasions. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#236035 01/08/06 04:10 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I eat loads and loads of chocolate, and expensive stuff, too! I like dark chocolate, but I'm not much into Lindt, which I find bitter. Let me recommend two favorites: Michel Cluizel Plantation "Mangaro", 1er Cru de Plantation. It's milk chocolate, containing 50% cocoa. So it's really a combination of dark and milk chocolate: the softening milk powder is there, but it also contains as much cocoa as dark chocolate usually does in the U.S. "Mangaro" really only contains the following five ingredients: whole milk powder, cocoa, cocoa butter, cane sugar, Bourbon vanilla pod. It's so smooth and rich, you wouldn't believe it!!!

A second favorite of mine is C Henriet, Biarritz, Chocolat Noir à la Menthe. It's dark chocolate, 70%, flavored with just a touch of mint. There's no soft white mint filling, mind you, because it's the chocolate itself which has an extremely pleasant, quite mild, delicately refreshing minty taste. This makes the chocolate appear very slightly sweeter than is the norm for dark chocolate.

Oh, and let's not forget Galler Cognac, a 70% dark chocolate bar filled with a totally delicious, fluffy, creamy, light brown, cognac flavored filling!!

And then there's the things you scoop up for yourself and put in paper bags and pay for by its weight in my favorite chocholate shop here in Malmö, Sweden. The shop is called Ahlgrens, and if you ever visit Malmö, don't miss Ahlgrens! Why don't you try the mint truffles? There's a generous dollop of rich dark truffle on top of a white mint filling, all covered in dark chocolate. Me, I could kill for the orange bows, orange-flavored bow-shaped jelly pieces covered in dark chocolate. Don't you like jelly? Don't say anything until you've tried these! Of course, they are rather sweet, so after a few orange bows you need to restore your system by popping a few Danish salty-flavored liquorice pieces into your mouth!

But Lois, you get to keep the Double Crunch Fudge Bars for yourself! laugh

Ann

#236036 01/08/06 06:46 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm all for white chocolate. I'm seriously addicted to it. I find milk chocolate too simple, and dark isn't entirely my taste. So white.

If that's not available, I go for chocolate with hazelnuts. Or, if I really want to go all the way, Cadbury's Fruit & Nuts. Now that is delicious!

And if you'll excuse, I'm hungry now and need to go have breakfast. <g>

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#236037 01/08/06 07:15 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
I'm not a huge fan of plain or milk chocolate. In fact, some of it I find is quite gross. Now... add stuff to it, then I'll eat it like nothing else! drool I'm especially fond of the Dove Promises Dark.

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#236038 01/08/06 09:13 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Don't care for dark chocolate at all unless it is covering vanilla ice cream. As for candy - (I'm American) I prefer Hersheys - milk ch. with any nuts or carmel. I also make fudge at Christmas and like that - better than any you can get in a store. The favorite of everyone I give it to is where I make it with two layers one of Chocolate Fudge (semi dark) and a Layer of Peanut Butter Fudge.

#236039 01/08/06 11:41 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Don't care for dark chocolate at all unless it is covering vanilla ice cream.
That's strange isn't it, when you think about it. As I say, I don't like plain chocolate, never have. But my absolute favourite ice cream is a plain Magnum - plain chocolate over vanilla ice cream. Maybe the ice cream has some weird nullifying effect on the chocolate and makes it less bitter. goofy Who knows? But that one is definitely an exception to the rule imo. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#236040 01/09/06 04:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I used to love dark chocolate. I found it so much better than milk chocolate. (we need a sigh emoticon...)

Anyway, I have recently given up on chocolate eek . Yes, it's true. For years, I have suffered headaches and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to them. Recently, I started keeping really A retentive notes about them and the only thing I could come up with was caffeine. I talked with my doctor about it and he confirmed the symptoms(he being an ex-coffee/soda pop drinker himself). He also said I should avoid chocolate.

"Chocolate?!"

"Yeah. For the truly sensitive, even chocolate will set them off."

I was devastated. He could have just as easily told me to hold out my wrist so he could slit it for me!

I refused to believe him (denial). I cut out all other sources of caffeine, except chocolate. After 5 days of withdrawal, my headaches, for the most part, went away. They only showed up after I had had some chocolate. I still didn't want to give up. I started experimenting with amounts. Turns out I can have a little more that one Hershey Kiss before I will develop a mild headache later.

At that point, I gave up. What is the point in indulging in something that you can have less than a serving size of!!! whinging

So, I now only eat things that have a trace amount of chocolate in it, but the real stuff is off limits. I like my headache free world, I just read more Filk now laugh

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#236041 01/09/06 06:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, James, chocolate and caffeine (and cheese!) have been associated for years with migraines.

I sympathise because I have the same thing with peanuts. <G> Love them to bits, but they hate me. I did exactly the same thing you did - worked out exactly how many peanuts I could get away with eating before the pain hit. razz But I still can't cut them out completely.

I know it's sacrilege to say so, <g> but I don't eat that much chocolate and haven't for years. I find if I have it I start to crave it and then it gets silly and I'm eating it every night. If I don't have it, I don't miss it and since being diagnosed with diabetes I have it very rarely.

LabRat smile (who admits to going off the rails completely over Christmas and eating more chocolate in two weeks than she has in three years. Erk! I was following the CC diet: "It was there, I ate it, someone had to!" laugh )

The Musketeers
#236042 01/09/06 08:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooh, I absolutely love chocolate. I like milk chocolate the most, but at Eastern I like to eat some white chocolate eggs. Hmm.

I don't like dark chocolate. Except when it's used to make chocolate sauce for ice cream. Or for cake. A few weeks ago, I make a chocolate cake with three different kinds of Belgian chocolate. Callebaut for the dough, Côte d'Or for the frosting and chocolate mousse for between it. It was delicious smile1

Of candy, I love things like Snickers, Mars, Chocotoff... Chocolate bars, I prefer Côte d'Or (Double Lait or Dessert 58). And then of course the Guylian sea fruits. I don't know if you have them in the US, but they're very addictive (especially if you have a glass of cold milke to go with it). Oh, and I love warm chocolate milk as well laugh

I have to say, I'm happy being a Belgian if it means having a lot of Belgian chocolate available wink

Greets,

~ An ~
#236043 01/09/06 08:29 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:

I sympathise because I have the same thing with peanuts.
I have a similar issue with peanuts and sugar. I can have either without a problem, but if I have them together, true heartburn, pain and suffering.

When I found this out, prior to the chocolate issue, I came to the realization that about roughly 70% of candy/sweets have some peanut butter in it in some way! ?me sighs...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#236044 01/09/06 08:54 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I voted for dark chocolate, but I'm extremely picky...not just any brand of chocolate will do. Had some supposedly "dark" chocolate yesterday that was horrendous.

Just to qualify my answer a little smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#236045 01/09/06 11:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm a Hershey's girl -- probably has to do with having grown up within easy driving distance of the town and working at HersheyPark for four summers! smile In general, it's milk chocolate for me -- I like the Hershey's version of dark chocolate, but I have the feeling y'all will tell me that doesn't count wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#236046 01/09/06 05:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm an equal opportunity chocolate eater. I'll eat all types, but dark chocolate is my favorite.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#236047 01/09/06 08:32 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hersey's Park! Kewl!!! I went there once during a family reunion. I have family that lives in the Pennsylvania area. laugh

#236048 01/10/06 04:14 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
My particular weakness is chocolate covered macadmia nuts. Get me around those and I'll eat the whole box in no time. Fortunately for my weight loss program, people don't start passing those out on a regular basis around my place except during Christmas. On the other hand, this Christmas I gained five pounds with no effort at all and am now working hard to get rid of them (down 3 so far, 2 to go). I'd love to have my grandmother's metabolism. She lived to be 90 years old, ate boxes and boxes of chocolate and never seemed to gain a pound. Of course she had false teeth, but most of her generation did, whether or not they were chocoholics.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#236049 01/10/06 04:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Milk chocolate. And, to me, milk chocoate is Cadbury\'s . The best chocolate in the world - accept no substitutes! goofy

There's nothing better than a bar of Cadbury\'s Dairy Milk . Unless it's a Flake . Or a Crunchie . Or anything else from the Cadbury\'s range either! wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard