Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#235764 09/08/05 06:53 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Individual authors, of course, would have to speak up for themselves and say whether this would bother them or not. Certainly though, I would hesitate to term any feelings they might have on the subject, either way, 'odd' or 'weird'. If they feel uncomfortable about others cutting and pasting bits of their stories onto a forum they never intended it to be on, then I think that's entirely up to them.
Labrat, are you seriously suggesting that there has never been a story "discussed" on this forum that wasn't posted here first?

Because that's what "onto a forum they never intended it to be on" sounds like only taken to an extreme. That's what seems odd or weird to me about this entire concept, not anyone's feelings. It simply seems downright convoluted to imply that a story has to have been posted on any forum in its entirety before permission can assumed to be granted for readers on that forum to even quote a single line from it. I guess I assume permission is automatically granted pretty much universally once a story is distributed on the web at large. Otherwise why link to the archive at all if you could never talk about the older stories there?

Which is kind of what I thought this thread was addressing - how to help new readers find old stories. Quotes and small excepts are wonderful ways to do that without having to repost the entire story.

Now if we're talking about a specific issue of quoting nfic content, then that's what the nfic forums are for. Aren't they?

EDIT: Just realized I missed something Labrat said the first time around.

I'll admit, I'd be slightly wary of this, having had a bad previous experience when people who'd never read my story started dissecting segments of it negatively because they didn't understand the context of the posted segments. If someone's going to constructively critique one of my stories, I kind of like them to have actually read it first.
But isn't that more a critiquing issue than a quoting one? I mean, isn't that why authors are encouraged to put a statement on the story regarding public/private feedback/criticism?

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#235765 09/08/05 06:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another cool thing might be to feature a classic nFic critque, have someone do a short synopsis of the story and why they liked it, feature a couple of quotes and post it on the nFic board...thus new readers are clued in to some good fic.

It'd kind of be like writing a book report or review, say like "Why I thought Superstud was an awesome story"

Just an idea.

TEEEEEJ

#235766 09/09/05 06:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Another cool thing might be to feature a classic nFic critque, have someone do a short synopsis of the story and why they liked it, feature a couple of quotes and post it on the nFic board...thus new readers are clued in to some good fic.

It'd kind of be like writing a book report or review, say like "Why I thought Superstud was an awesome story"
That's kind of what I was suggesting, TEEEEEJ. wink

I would, however, caution against calling them critiques or reviews, both of which carry a lot of negative baggage to begin with, as Labrat has already pointed out. The term recommendations, on the other hand, may initially seem more cumbersome as a label but is a lot less explosive in nature because it's mostly viewed as positive. In fact, many see it as too positive, which is another part of that whole critiquing issue.

Personally I don't want to go there and if I saw a "critique" label on a post about an individual fanfic, I wouldn't read it. And I most likely would have strong reservations about reading a "review" of a fanfic. That's probably just me but it is something to think about.

(Oh, and if anyone is wondering why I've suddenly popped back out of lurkdom, it's because I'm finally back online after about a three month hiatus due to health, personal and family problems. Yeah, the old triple whammy. Actually, quadrupal whammy is probably more accurate because we were also having semi-major ISP problems during the last month, too.)

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#235767 09/09/05 02:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's kind of what I was suggesting, TEEEEEJ wink
DOH!! sorry I wasn't trying to scam off your idea, just kind of skimmed what you said and threw down what was in my head, probably what was planted by your suggested, derrrrr, silly me.
goofy

TEEEEEJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard