Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
goofy

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I chose other for the first question, because I don't read fanfic on zoomway's message board. I read fanfic here and on the archive. However, it has to be edited. A writer has to spend at least as much time writing as I will reading or else it isn't worth my time. A story has to be written in good English for me to read it. If it is work for me to read, it is not worth my time to try.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
I had to chose other for the first question since I simply do not visit those other boards.

For the other two, I chose the second option. I don't mind a little mistake. Nothing's perfect. However, I do like what I read to be on a high level of English. On the boards, the story should have been spell checked and Beta Read. And on the archive, there's the GE going over it. So at the end of the line, the story is near perfect. Again, a few mistakes are fine. But if I spot five mistakes within the first paragraph, I'll stop reading because it would take me too much time to figure out what was meant. And I like to spend my time well.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I voted 'A little mistake I can tolerate' in all questions. Really, I can tolerate a little mistake, or a few little mistakes here and there. After all, I make such mistakes too; I'm not a native English speaker.
However, when it gets to a point that makes me want to paste it in Word and start editing... no, I won't read it. Because then, it wouldn't be *reading*.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, I have a few problems with this poll.

1. The options offered aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. For example, "I read it for the fun of it" isn't a separate concept to "Fully edited with absolutely no mistake at all." I read for fun, but fun to me is a fic that's written with good grammar and spelling.

2. "I don't mind if the grammer and spelling is horrific as long as I can understand it." You see, that's just the problem: if the grammar and spelling are bad, then generally speaking, I can't understand it. Maybe it's my failing, but I'm really not very good at understanding broken English - I'm equally bad at spoken broken English, as it happens.

3. Why are there the same set of questions for both fanfic boards? Surely a person's attitude to grammar and spelling is the same irrespective of which board they read their fanfic on?

Yvonne smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I also thought the "read for fun" option was interesting - I mean, no one reads fanfic because there's a gun at their heads, or for class credit... do they? laugh

The fact is, grammar and spelling mistakes in a fic will pop my attention right out of the story and onto the writing. This is a major problem for the writer - they should be concerned about anything that's going to get between me and the story.

And fixing spelling is such a simple thing to do with modern word processors - granted, fixing grammar takes a bit more work, but if you care enough about your story to present it to other people to read, producing it in a form that makes it a pleasure to read and not a chore is only sensible.

Mere smile

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
The options offered aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. For example, "I read it for the fun of it" isn't a separate concept to "Fully edited with absolutely no mistake at all." I read for fun, but fun to me is a fic that's written with good grammar and spelling.
I only put that there because I wound up having an extra space for the first two questions that I didn't need. Too lazy to click on the back button.

Why are there the same set of questions for both fanfic boards? Surely a person's attitude to grammar and spelling is the same irrespective of which board they read their fanfic on?
That's the only way I can figure out how to post my question. In case someone goes to one and not the other.

I guess now I can ask that people that their votes are not needed anymore. I guess this answers my own person question as to post my stories here or zoomway, anymore.

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
In case someone goes to one and not the other.
Kitty, this question is posted on the lcficmbs. People that read fanfics on zoomway.net might not be reading this board or registered to vote in the poll, so it seems like a moot point.

How many times have people told you that grammar and spelling are important? That's because they are vitally important, and that opinion is not going to change.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
:rolleyes: frown

Merriwether
Merriwether
No matter where I read fic, whether it be here, the Archives, or another fandom, I cannot read a fic if there are too many errors. Small minor grammar errors are fine, since people tend to disagree on comma, semi-colon, and other types of punctuation placements, but spelling errors are a no-no. This includes properly spelled but contextually wrong words. My mind will completely balk at the story, and it will refuse to read anymore.

That's one thing I'm grateful to this fandom for. All of our stories are well beta'd, and are archive has wonderful GEs, so that you'll always find a readable story. I've been poking in other fandoms, and oh my god. shock Errors galore.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Catching up here... Well, I voted for tolerating a few mistakes when a story's posted on either message board -- I haven't read stories at Zoomway's for about a year and a half, but if I did, I'd apply the same standards there that I do here. Like others have said, I want an author to spell-check and try to get the grammar decent. I'm not even that picky on grammar, compared to some others in this thread, because I probably won't notice a misplaced comma or the occasional run-on sentence... but it has to be readable and avoid glaring errors, like changing verb tense in the middle of a sentence.

On the archive, I like stories to be perfect <g> Presumably, this is the final stop for a story, so the author's gotten it as good as he/she can manage, *with* the help of a GE to tidy up their commas (or is that just me? goofy ) and therefore I want that story to be as near perfect as they can manage.

So, I'm more tolerant of stuff on the boards, but... if an author's not going to put much work into making the story readable, I'm not going to put any work into reading it.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Pam pretty much summed it up for me.

Yes, it's a 'me too' post - bad Rat. <G> But, hey, not spending time on trying to form a coherent response when Pam has already done the hard work for me and set it out so well...means I can go read part five of Mere's new story instead.

Thanks, Pam. laugh

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I don't read fanfic on eaither or the boards, but I voted how I would feel if I did, and that was to say that I would tolerate a few mistakes because, since I use both boards as giant beta readers for my own work, I know it's almost impossible for mistakes not to slip through.

As for reading in the Archive, I expect to read the story fully edited and with no mistakes, but I've never read a story in the Archive that was in that condition. It's just really hard to catch all the unintentional errors. And not everyone (writer or editor) has the same grammar background. There are some errors that appear repeatedly and I've learned to grit my teeth and ignore them, but blatant, 'this is the way I write and I don't care' errors are the ones that turn me off and make me stop reading. Those are usually noticeable in the first few paragraphs. Any writer who doesn't care enugh to want to be literate doesn't deserve the name "writer". At least that's the way I see it.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
I usually don't respond in these areas but concerning the topic I felt I must. I suffer from dyslexia, sometimes I can control it and I write because the more I seem to write the better control I have over making sure letters are in the right place and I'm not seeing things that are misspelled as perfectly fine. I'm thankful for the red squiggle lines when it comes to my brain warping from time to time. I've been writing my entire life, even won awards, but since I write first person most people don't like my stories, and send me rude emails which is another reason I felt I had to respond to this poll. I just finished an over 1000 page fic that I will probably never post anywhere, but I feel the more you write, the more you get in touch with characters and ideas, the more of a handle you can get on any kind of learning disorder. Whether it be one like mine or just a simple one with grammar. After a while, you can tell when a sentence doesn't look right; or you can at least hope that happens.

It's also not hard to find someone to help you edit if needbe. So, spelling and grammar mistakes shouldn't even be much of an issue.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
but since I write first person most people don't like my stories, and send me rude emails which is another reason I felt I had to respond to this poll.
Anyone who sends flames over a story simply isn't worth the trouble of bothering about, Andrea.

I know that first person fic isn't to the taste of a lot of readers - it's not one of my own personal favourites either - but give posting a try. You really have nothing to lose. If you get zero fdk, it's no more than you're getting by not posting. And you might be pleasantly surprised.

I know that even though it's not my first choice, I have many favourite novels and authors who use first person and there are always exceptions to the rule that I'll enjoy. smile I'm sure I'm not the only one who has read and enjoyed first person stories in the past or who is willing to give them a try, at least.

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Well, I personally don't mind one or two small mistakes in a story if the story is well written otherwise. That goes for pretty much anywhere I read it online. We're all human beings, and the spell checker doesn't catch everything. The human eye doesn't catch everything 100% of the time, either. Since the archives standard is much higher than the boards, however, I prefer for them to be edited as much as possible.

I've found typos in published novels and newspapers recently, which is the only time it really annoys me because those editors are supposed to be professionals. The L&C fanfic archives have the best quality when it comes to editing, IMHO.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
Speaking personally, I've always preferred reading first person or single POV books. I like to stick with one person who I can really get to know inside out and live their ups and downs as if they are my own. Jumping between various characters' heads tends to dilute that sensation, so that I end up feeling like more of an observer on the outside of a situation rather than someone who's right inside it.

L&C fic has been the exception to that - for some reason, I don't mind leaping between Lois and Clark, or even Luthor, Perry, Jimmy, Martha, and so on. Even so, I practically always enjoy reading Clark's POV more than anyone else's - unless they're really just reflecting whatever's happening to Clark <g>.

Yvonne

Top Banana
Top Banana
Kitty,

I don't mind a few mistakes. I do prefer for the story to have been beta read, passed through a spell-check program, etc. It makes it so much easier to read.

I'm more tolerant of mistakes here than I am on the archives. These are the only two places I read fanfic.

I am also much more tolerant of minor mistakes when I know that English is not the author's first language.

Two pet peeves of mine: I can't read a story that does not have spaces between paragraphs or one that flip-flops between present and past tense. (Clark looks at Lois. He went over to her and said, "Hi". She doesn't respond. Then she walked away, frowning.) I don't know why, but these two things just drive me crazy!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I can't read a story that does not have spaces between paragraphs or one that flip-flops between present and past tense. (Clark looks at Lois. He went over to her and said, "Hi". She doesn't respond. Then she walked away, frowning.) I don't know why, but these two things just drive me crazy!
Funnily enough, those are the two basic errors that drive most everyone crazy, it seems. Most readers who are tolerant of just about anything will back off from reading a story which contains either.

Have to say I'm included in that group. No paragraphs and a huge block of text just gives me a headache trying to sort it out enough to read. It's just too much hard work to do to get to a story.

And switching tenses - well no idea why that's just one of those things that has my teeth clenching and me instantly closing down a file. Just one of those things that grates, I guess.

But, certainly, if I had a penny for every time I've heard those two mentioned as making readers drop a story....

LabRat smile [Linked Image]

The Musketeers
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
I know I probably have a few past present problems, not the blatent one that was used as an example, but sometimes I just get so into my characters that I forget the time I'm in. Sometimes I just start typing like a mad woman and go back later and say WTH did I just type?? Thoughts bleeding from me.

I do a lot of my fics in first person Lois b/c I like getting in her head, it's fun b/c I know the show so well and know her character so well that I can think the way she thinks. It may seem a little whacked, but I just enjoy it so much and don't think I could write any other way now. There was part of my long fic where I had to do the first person of more than one character but that was a short part and there was a reason behind it.

I remember the book To Die For, which the movie was based on, each chapter was a different persons pov on the events unfolding. I found it so different and unique, which is why I do enjoy a lot of first person novels and such, I feel more with the character.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard