Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23294 08/02/05 08:07 AM
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
And for the first time in years, I fell asleep to the sound of someone else's breathing.
goofy

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow I really love this charcter. I agree that this has both humor and heart aching drama. This is a terrific story so far.

Maybe he was the alien formerly known as Klignot. Or Klepto. Or Klatu!
ROTFLMAO

Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hazel got it before I did, but I'm still saying...
And for the first time in years, I fell asleep to the sound of someone else's breathing.
...that has got to be about the best closing line of an angsty story I've ever read in my whole life.

This whole segment was lighter, softer even, with that little touch of humor interspersed throughout, but you NAILED it right there with that line.

Damn.... clap clap clap clap

TEEEEEEJ/in utter awe here

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

So Beautiful! drool

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, just...........wow.

I *heart* Jake. blush

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow:
. Clark Kent was a guest in my house. Superman was gone for the weekend.
I love this part. I don't understand the street lights going out and coming back on behind them as they drive, though. In Part 1 I thought it was because Superman had kryptonite all over him and it caused some electrical field. But now he is Clark recovering his powers. If street lights went off and on while he drove, he wouldn't appear human at all and his cover would be blown.
help
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Cl-. Clyde? Good lord, I hoped not. SuperClyde to the rescue? No.
goofy

And do the lights have an explanation? Are there light-sensor lights that go on and off like that?

I was asked recently to respond to a Reader's Choice questionaire about LnC fanfic. One of the questions asked whether I thought there were any new angles, or had it all been written. I replied something to the effect that as long as people kept writing there would probably always be new ideas. Yours is one of those. I've read a lot of fanfic and am still doing so, and I don't remember coming across anything like this before. This is a wonderful story and I've already put it on my "keeper" list. Like the others have said, you have made Jake so real, and so likeable.

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And do the lights have an explanation? Are there light-sensor lights that go on and off like that?
Not in Arlington, VA. I've lived there. They light the roads up in housing areas like football fields to deter criminals. In the totally rural areas there are no lights at all.
cool
Artemis

Merriwether
Merriwether
This is so awesome. I have no words to describe it. *sniffle*

Speaking or words, I think you may have dropped one. wink
He gave me a placating shrug. "Well, sure. I've had tea-time with my daughter's at least twice."
His daughter's what? Imaginary friend? Imaginary cat? wink That Baxter sure does get around.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Well, as for the lights thing... I tried to explain it earlier when the phenomenon first occurred. Very first paragraph of the story:

The road loomed eerily before me as the street lamps went out in front of the car. One, by one, by one. Perhaps it was my headlights tripping the sensors. Maybe the alignment was off? It was a rental vehicle, so who knew what some joy-rider had done to it.
The headlights on his rental car are misaligned and pointing up too much. Because of this, they are tricking the streetlamp sensors into thinking it is daytime, and they shut off momentarily until it goes dark again and the car has passed. I know for sure that this can happen because my car did it at one point and, good lord, it was quite annoying until I got it fixed.

They light the roads up in housing areas like football fields to deter criminals.
For the most part Arlington is very well lit on the main roads. In residential areas it can get very, very, very dark, though. It really depends on where you are.

Anyway... this was mostly meant as a throwaway atmospheric thing, but at this point, I'm thinking of just taking it out since it's caused so much confusion, and I can't think of a good way to make it any clearer. I'll think on it some more. Any suggestions?

His daughter's what? Imaginary friend?
He was refering to his daughter's imaginary friend. This wasn't a missing word, per se, just a hidden/dropped subject as we often tend to do when we're speaking. Now that I read it so long after writing it, though, I can see where the confusion would generate. I will fix it.

Oh yeah, and from a previous part,

You're saying that a six-year old has clear memories from when she was four? Hmm. In my experience, that's pretty uncommon
I'm not really sure on this. I have been considering bumping them up to five and seven, and then the death would have occurred at three and five because one of my BRs mentioned he thought Claire acted a little bit too old for six. I have a horrible time making these comparisons because I never babysit and tend to avoid children. My only reference point is a friend who hailed from a very similar situation, and I have no idea if she is the norm or not.

Or maybe it's just how ill kryptonite can make him feel, coupled with the barely-concealed distress Jake has been in.
I personally see it as Clark not really feeling he's revealing all that much. Jake knows that he's got a kid and a wife already. Aside from revealing exactly who they are, the damage has really already been done.

Oh yeah, and Clark had an imaginary cat named Bob?!? Does Lois know this?? It has to be good for a little of that farmboy-from-the-sticks ribbing she likes to give him.
laugh

Thank you so much for the feedback, y'all smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmmm:
The headlights on his rental car are misaligned and pointing up too much. Because of this, they are tricking the streetlamp sensors into thinking it is daytime, and they shut off momentarily until it goes dark again and the car has passed. I know for sure that this can happen because my car did it at one point and, good lord, it was quite annoying until I got it fixed.
Wow. Here in California the sensors are on top of the poles, so I would be impossible for misaligned headlights to trigger them. I admit I never drove that much around housing areas at night in Arlington, but I know in the city itself they never went off until daylight. This was with nearly continuous traffic all night. I lived in Crystal City near the Pentagon.
Yes, it is an atmospheric line, but if few people have experienced the phenomenon it's confusing without more explanation. I guess I was concentrating on a sick Superman and didn't pay attention to the misaligned headlights. Maybe add something like "my headlights are tripping the sensors again."
Thanks for explanation.
As for this:
You're saying that a six-year old has clear memories from when she was four? Hmm. In my experience, that's pretty uncommon
I'd buy a six year old. I have memories from when I was 2 and I'm now ~~~```mumble. Well, old. If it's a traumatic event it will stick in some manner.
cool
Artemis

Columnist
Columnist
I am loving this story and I can't wait for the last part. I'm curious to see how it will end. You are doing a magnificent job!

As far as the street lights go, I liked it. That part added a bit to the atmosphere. It is a tad confusing if you want to fix it up a bit, but I wouldn't take it out completely.

I also agree with the how Clark isn't revealing too much more. At least he doesn't think he is. In his mind, Jake already knows he has a wife and kids. That must mean he's a normal person. Short of flat-out telling him his name, there's not much more damage that could be done. But I wonder if in the last part you'll have Clark know that Jake knows everything. I guess I'll wait and see.

This is a great story! I haven't seen anything like it as long as I've been here. I have to admit, I was confused after watching the trailer, but I love it none the less. And the trailer makes sense now! I can't wait for the last part! smile1

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Crystal City and Rosslyn are only a teensy part of Arlington. Most of it is still very suburban and quiet off main transit routes, although it's starting to build up a lot in the Ballston area now, too.

I modeled my particular setting off the housing in and around Ashton Heights, if you were curious.

But you are right, the closer to DC you get, the more city-like things are. I personally find it amazing how much variation you can get in such a small area smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My 7-year-old has memories from our previous house 3 years ago. My 5-year-old, who was 2 when we moved, does not.

I liked the street-light bit and was able to follow it. It was also significant in that it allowed Jake to detect and recognize the kryptonite.

This is a powerfully moving story and I have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been quietly enjoying this story, and now I just have to jump in and say:

Wow.

Just wow.

This is so beautiful!! whinging

YOU ROCK!!!!! notworthy

Sorry I can't think of a better way to say that at the moment. wink

Anywho, I personally like the athmospheric detail about the lights, and I had no problem understanding it at all until my father told me that streetlamps work on timers, not sensors. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Maybe instead of deleting it, you could just spell it out a little more clearly. Because I thought it was a really cool touch! smile

[Insert obligatory nag/plea here wildguy ]

~•~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
If street lights worked on timers they wouldn't come on in the daytime during the rain, and there wouldn't be the occasional one that never turns off (dirty/dark sensor). I have seen examples of both of these instances. Perhaps some communities use timers and others uses sensors?

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Thank you so much for all these comments smile I've been smiling all day!

Ona, I actually wonder if it might be a combination of both. Either way, I think what I might do is have just one streetlamp be out at a convenient time to reveal the kryptonite. I'm still debating, and probably will be up until I submit this to the archive smile

Thanks for your opinions on the kids, too. I had been wondering about that. I have memories from very young as well, particularly one where I lost a watering can to a nasty undertow in the Atlantic Ocean... My dad decided I was better to save than the can, though I was fairly miffed at the time smile That was when I was three.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard