Print Thread
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hi, just a short question here.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmm, that was actually timed well considering I'm working on a story about Lois and Clark in their earlier years. The age changed, but the personality is fairly the same. smile

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I don't think it's age that changes personality; experiences do it. So it's not the years that matter, it's the amount of crap you have to put up with <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, with regards to Lois & Clark, I usually write stories which take place during the years of the show. So for instance, in certain stories, they are younger (but no younger than season 1). The oldest I ever really have them is, say 3-4 years after Season 4. So there's not really that much "aging" really. But I try to have their personalities develop along the same lines as the show did. So I'm not so sure it's a matter of "age" for me, so much as it's a matter of showing how emotions progress! Does that make sense? LOL, I'm babbling!
-Wanda! cool

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Well, actually. I was thinking of a character of mine name Ben. In one story that I wrote a long time ago, he was a teenager. In recent story that I put him in one of my Lois and Clark story, he's a college age kid. It just seem like he had grew up to me.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
Well, I don't think it's age that changes personality; experiences do it. So it's not the years that matter, it's the amount of crap you have to put up with.

PJ
Amen to that.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
quote:
------------------------
Originally posted by ChiefPam:
Well, I don't think it's age that changes personality; experiences do it. So it's not the years that matter, it's the amount of crap you have to put up with.

PJ
------------------------------
Amen to that.
I don't get it. What's that got to do with the age of a fictional character in one's story?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, okay, it's not strictly related to the question... more of a general observation. smile But if you were to change a character's personality, the first thing I'd want to know is what's happened since the last time I saw him, to make these changes, rather than just how many years have gone by.

And if I were bringing back a secondary character from an earlier story, I'd have to age them to match L&C -- but I could make them seem a little younger or older, depending on what amount of crap they've had to put up with laugh Or, if I really needed them to be significantly older or younger, I'd have to give serious consideration to just creating a whole new character.

Unless you want to use "soap opera years" in which babies go to summer camp for a year or two and come back as hunky teenagers goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard