Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I've googled around for a solution but haven't found anything that helped...

Someone I knew gave me his old phone before leaving town (not as sketchy as I just made it sound, haha). It's a Motorola qh9. I did a hard reset, and unlocked it (with an unlock code) to make it work with other providers, because I'm with Fido and it's a Rogers phone.

Anyway, now, if I put my SIM card in it, I can make calls and text, but it won't connect to the internet. IE says "connection has been reset by the remote party" and Opera says "Could not establish network connection."

I checked the connections, deleted the proxies (this is what some forums seemed to think would help), and made sure the GPRS was set to connect to "The Internet". Other than that, I have no idea what else to try.

A few forums suggested applying registry changes, but I'm not sure how to even go about that. (I'm not really worried about messing up the phone too much. I can always do a hard reset again, and if the internet won't work I'd rather keep using my non-"smartphone" anyway... at least it connects to the internet!)

Thanks for any insight into this, though I realise it might be a long shot.

Julie smile (who is, yes, addicted to the internet)

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Could it be that the Internet in this phone is not set up correctly according to your SIM card? Maybe there's a special configuration or something that Fido needs to set from their end (since it used to be a Rogers phone)? If you reset the phone to the initial configuration, it could have set something to Rogers specs, not Fido.

How did you "hard reset" the phone?

By the way, did you mean "q9h"? wink

malu

Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Haha yes, I meant q9h. XD

I realised that the connection settings were set to Rogers eventually and googled for Fido settings, but unfortunately, it didn't really solve the problem... it no longer gives the same error messages, but it still won't load anything.

My dad seems to think it's because of Fido, though for different reasons - that it won't let me connect to non-Mobile Internet without an actual plan. (My current plan does include Internet Mobile but apparently they're wildly different things.... I would have thought they would just charge as-you-go anyway...)

The hard reset command is to turn off the phone, then hold down the E and Z keys, and turn it back on. It reformats itself. (The real reason I did this is because the guy I got the phone from left it password locked... -_-)

I'll ask Fido about this but if there's nothing they can do, I'll just wait out my contract with them - only six more months - then change to Rogers and get a Blackberry. A year and a half ago I specifically didn't want one because I wanted a "simple" phone. :rolleyes: So much for that. XD

Thanks smile

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard