Print Thread
#22993 07/17/05 04:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just starting this folder. Be back in a sec.

umm...freaking OUCH?? You hurt my heart. I mean it was kind of funny with this line...
It occurred to me that most of the world's female population, and quite possibly a chunk of the males, would be clawing and hissing to get into my current position.
...cause I was thinking, "yeah I volunteer!!" so you had me chuckling until you broadside me with the girls.

I thought it was so cute with...
"Daddy?" Annie called behind me, her voice small and pitiful.

I was preparing myself to explain why I couldn't read a bedtime story, when she surprised me. "You should tell him not to drink things under the sink," she said.
...then you hit me with the simile...
Saved Superman by making my dead wife into a simile...
...just...damn...

Bravo. Keep it coming.

TEEEJ/wishing there was an icon of subdued AWE to insert here

Columnist
Columnist
You brought tears to my eyes and I NEVER cry when I'm reading!

Lovely!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Merriwether
Merriwether
<no words>

whinging hail

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow. Thanks.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautifully done. I really like this character and his two daughters. LAura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Features Writer
Features Writer
I've just started reading this tonight, and it's a real treat. It takes talent to make a character we don't know real to us; this is exceptional.

It's nice to see a new twist again. It's a breath of fresh air.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
hail I wish I could write as well as you do!

In this life of froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful, and so sad *sob*

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, anothe great, great part. Your style is really something else. Can`t wait for more.

Best wishes

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Just read 2 and 3. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. Just started this tonight. Great story.
Loved this:
I blinked. It occurred to me that most of the world's female population, and quite possibly a chunk of the males, would be clawing and hissing to get into my current position.
This is an amazing story. thud
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow!! This is really powerful!

I, too, really like this man and his girls. He is so exhausted, just dealing with life after the loss of his wife, just trying to cope, and now he is coping with a situation so far outside of anything he's ever had to deal with...

I loved the subtle touches of humor, and how they are set up against the backdrop of Jake's quiet desperation. The true good samaritan is a man like Jake-- one who does what he has to do, regardless of the personal cost, not really because he wants to but because it's the right thing to do.

I'm looking forward to more!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Diane

WOW! This is superb. smile1

Tricia cool

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
umm...freaking OUCH?? You hurt my heart. I mean it was kind of funny with this line... ...cause I was thinking, "yeah I volunteer!!" so you had me chuckling until you broadside me with the girls.
I loved the subtle touches of humor, and how they are set up against the backdrop of Jake's quiet desperation.
smile I do enjoy weaving humor into anything I write, even the angsty tragic stuff -- I think it makes it more realistic and less bogged down in melodrama, plus it provides a sharper contrast between one emotional extreme and another, and you don't get subsequently drowned in one or the other. I'm glad a lot of you pointed out this effect seemed to work for you, because even if there wasn't a specific reason I wrote a little humor in, sometimes I just can't not make a joke smile

I've just started reading this tonight, and it's a real treat. It takes talent to make a character we don't know real to us; this is exceptional.
I, too, really like this man and his girls. He is so exhausted, just dealing with life after the loss of his wife, just trying to cope, and now he is coping with a situation so far outside of anything he's ever had to deal with...
Thank you!!! One of my major problems bridging into original fiction is that I have always had troubles making up my own universe and characters. Plots, I'm great at coming up with (whether they're good is another argument altogether but at least I can come up with them at *all* smile ). Once I have a character and a universe to work with, I believe I'm good at playing within those boundaries and sometimes nudging the lines left or right. But it's actually coming up with a character and a universe that needed work, and in that respect, fanfiction is sometimes a crutch since you have those mostly ready made. That's another reason I'm so in love with critical feedback -- improving the things I'm weak at is my ultimate goal.

This story is a major, major turning point for me, because it is the first time I think I've managed to create a character that isn't a walking Mary Sue, solidly a cliche, or for a specific, but very narrow purpose in a larger work, and thus not very fleshed out. The only thing left now for me to start messing with is universes that I can actually lay claim to, but that's a ways down the road smile

Anyway, I am extremely glad you all are still enjoying this story smile I didn't have time to post part 4 before work this morning, but I should have it up by around 3:45-4:00 EST! Sorry for the little wait.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard