Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Anonymous FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/17/05 08:37 PM
Just starting this folder. Be back in a sec.

umm...freaking OUCH?? You hurt my heart. I mean it was kind of funny with this line...
It occurred to me that most of the world's female population, and quite possibly a chunk of the males, would be clawing and hissing to get into my current position.
...cause I was thinking, "yeah I volunteer!!" so you had me chuckling until you broadside me with the girls.

I thought it was so cute with...
"Daddy?" Annie called behind me, her voice small and pitiful.

I was preparing myself to explain why I couldn't read a bedtime story, when she surprised me. "You should tell him not to drink things under the sink," she said.
...then you hit me with the simile...
Saved Superman by making my dead wife into a simile...
...just...damn...

Bravo. Keep it coming.

TEEEJ/wishing there was an icon of subdued AWE to insert here
Posted By: IreneD Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/17/05 09:13 PM
You brought tears to my eyes and I NEVER cry when I'm reading!

Lovely!

Irene
Posted By: rivka Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/17/05 09:20 PM
<no words>

whinging hail
Posted By: Onaleia Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/17/05 09:42 PM
Wow. Thanks.
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/17/05 09:56 PM
Beautifully done. I really like this character and his two daughters. LAura
Posted By: ShayneT Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/18/05 12:32 AM
I've just started reading this tonight, and it's a real treat. It takes talent to make a character we don't know real to us; this is exceptional.

It's nice to see a new twist again. It's a breath of fresh air.
Posted By: JenniJac Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/18/05 03:21 AM
hail I wish I could write as well as you do!
Posted By: SJH Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/18/05 10:17 AM
Posted By: Supes1fan Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/18/05 11:09 AM
Wonderful, and so sad *sob*

~Liz
Posted By: sunshine6812 Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/18/05 03:51 PM
Wow, anothe great, great part. Your style is really something else. Can`t wait for more.

Best wishes

sunshine
Posted By: mariadferdez. Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/18/05 04:58 PM
Hi,

Just read 2 and 3. smile1
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/18/05 11:47 PM
Wow. Just started this tonight. Great story.
Loved this:
I blinked. It occurred to me that most of the world's female population, and quite possibly a chunk of the males, would be clawing and hissing to get into my current position.
This is an amazing story. thud
cool
Artemis
Posted By: TicAndToc Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/19/05 01:24 AM
Wow!! This is really powerful!

I, too, really like this man and his girls. He is so exhausted, just dealing with life after the loss of his wife, just trying to cope, and now he is coping with a situation so far outside of anything he's ever had to deal with...

I loved the subtle touches of humor, and how they are set up against the backdrop of Jake's quiet desperation. The true good samaritan is a man like Jake-- one who does what he has to do, regardless of the personal cost, not really because he wants to but because it's the right thing to do.

I'm looking forward to more!

~Toc
Posted By: TriciaW Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/20/05 08:10 AM
Diane

WOW! This is superb. smile1

Tricia cool
Posted By: Aria Re: FDK-- Good Samaritan pt 3 - 07/22/05 07:56 AM
umm...freaking OUCH?? You hurt my heart. I mean it was kind of funny with this line... ...cause I was thinking, "yeah I volunteer!!" so you had me chuckling until you broadside me with the girls.
I loved the subtle touches of humor, and how they are set up against the backdrop of Jake's quiet desperation.
smile I do enjoy weaving humor into anything I write, even the angsty tragic stuff -- I think it makes it more realistic and less bogged down in melodrama, plus it provides a sharper contrast between one emotional extreme and another, and you don't get subsequently drowned in one or the other. I'm glad a lot of you pointed out this effect seemed to work for you, because even if there wasn't a specific reason I wrote a little humor in, sometimes I just can't not make a joke smile

I've just started reading this tonight, and it's a real treat. It takes talent to make a character we don't know real to us; this is exceptional.
I, too, really like this man and his girls. He is so exhausted, just dealing with life after the loss of his wife, just trying to cope, and now he is coping with a situation so far outside of anything he's ever had to deal with...
Thank you!!! One of my major problems bridging into original fiction is that I have always had troubles making up my own universe and characters. Plots, I'm great at coming up with (whether they're good is another argument altogether but at least I can come up with them at *all* smile ). Once I have a character and a universe to work with, I believe I'm good at playing within those boundaries and sometimes nudging the lines left or right. But it's actually coming up with a character and a universe that needed work, and in that respect, fanfiction is sometimes a crutch since you have those mostly ready made. That's another reason I'm so in love with critical feedback -- improving the things I'm weak at is my ultimate goal.

This story is a major, major turning point for me, because it is the first time I think I've managed to create a character that isn't a walking Mary Sue, solidly a cliche, or for a specific, but very narrow purpose in a larger work, and thus not very fleshed out. The only thing left now for me to start messing with is universes that I can actually lay claim to, but that's a ways down the road smile

Anyway, I am extremely glad you all are still enjoying this story smile I didn't have time to post part 4 before work this morning, but I should have it up by around 3:45-4:00 EST! Sorry for the little wait.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards