Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229036 04/05/06 03:36 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I'm hoping for a little help. My computer. I had computer problems last week and eventually had to completely reboot my entire system. I loaded my files in and my programs and got everything up and running again.

But... as I was trying to get things set up the way I like them, I did something that suddenly made all my files disappear. My programs, likewise, disappeared. Now I've managed to get my files and my programs back (they were still there, just hidden). Now, I'm not sure how I did it or exactly how I got them back, but...

Okay, here comes my problem. My favorites in Internet Explorer... It went blank. So I tried to start a new folder 'Lois and Clark' so that I could put in the Lois and Clark sites I visit. The computer wouldn't create the file because it told me that such a file already exists. But I can't see it. Anyone have any idea what is happening? Or how I correct it?

In other words... Help! Please!

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#229037 04/05/06 05:03 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
this folder is probably hidden
go to control panel,app and themes,folders options,
then under display, click on hidden files and folders then display hidden files and folders

go back to windows to see if you can find them in the folder internet explorer in programs files

hope it can help...

Hello...DUH!!!!
#229038 04/06/06 06:19 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
It didn't help with the favorites folder. But it did solve another problem I was having so... Thanks laugh .

On the other hand, I didn't have much in my favorites folder so if I can't figure it out, I can work around it. I've started a folder called 'Lois & Clark' and it doesn't conflict with my previous 'Lois and Clark' folder laugh .

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
#229039 04/06/06 07:02 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Have you tried using command line (DOS)?

Here's a little user guide to working with files and folders (in case you don't know how to).

Go to the Start Menu, Run... and type "cmd". A black window should appear. Type

cd "<folder>"

where <folder> should be the path of the Internet Explorer favorites folder in your computer (for example, in the computer I'm using it's

'C:\Documents and Settings\mlo3721\Favorites'. )

Don't forget to use quote marks " around the folder path so that the spaces in 'Documents and Settings' will be interpreted correctly.

Now type 'dir' and see if you can find the folder you're looking for. If it's there, it should be listed.

If you want to delete the folder, type

rmdir <folder>

where <folder> should be the folder you want to delete with everything in it (use quote marks " around the folder name if it has spaces in its name).

If you want to see inside this folder, type

cd <folder_name>

where <folder_name> is the folder name.

You can move files you have from one folder to another by using the command 'move', like this:

move <file_name_current> <new_folder>

where <file_name_current> is the current directory (if you are not inside the folder the file is in) and file name of the file you want to move and <new_folder> is the path of the folder you are moving the file to.

Let me know if you have any questions. smile

See ya,

malu wave

#229040 04/06/06 12:10 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thanks, malu. But it didn't work. After I typed in the 'C:\Documents and Settings\mlo3721\Favorites', the response was that it was an invalid command.

But don't worry about it. I'll work around it and someday... when I'm least expecting it, I will probably realize what I did wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

ML wave

#229041 04/06/06 01:08 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Your Favorites file will be in a different location than Malu's; the "mlo3721" part of that command will be different because you have a different username.

Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\ and then the username you use on Windows. If you don't know what it is, you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\ and type 'dir', which will give you a list of the files and folders inside that directory. One of them should correspond to your username.

#229042 04/06/06 02:35 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Sorry I didn't make it clear, ML. The path I included was just an example. Thanks for clarifying that, Kaylle. smile

See ya, wave

malu

#229043 04/07/06 02:37 PM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thanks, Kaylle and Malu. I couldn't quite get your idea to work. But it did seem to lead me in the right direction. I didn't manage to get the files back. But I did manage to delete them so that I could start those files again. (so... it worked out okay) thumbsup

Thanks.

ML wave

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard