Next Thread
Print Thread
#228655 04/04/05 04:59 AM
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey guys smile

Yep, I have another computer issue (surprise, surprise! - it happens once a week these days).

Basically, I can access only a small amount of websites from any computer connected to my router. I reset the router, cleared my cache, everything, but I haven't been able to access much since Friday evening. Thankfully I can still access the boards, but I can't even get to my ISP's website (I can get to it from work, where I have a different connection).

If anybody has any idea what the problem could be and what I should do to fix it, I'd be really grateful. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Merriwether
Merriwether
You said it happens to the computer connected through the router. If you remove the router and plug the computer straight into the modem, do you still have the issue?

You may also need to get the DNS numbers from your provider and add them to your connection.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I can't plug my machines straight into a modem as I don't have any modem at all. frown My router *is* a modem.

What do you mean about DNS numbers? I have to confess that my favourite computer tech set up my connection and so I don't fully know how to add DNS numbers to the set-up.

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

Merriwether
Merriwether
DNS stands for Domain Name Server. The server translates IP addresses to domain names and back. You should be able to get this information from either their website, or by calling them.

To get them into your connection... I'm going to assume you use XP, I think you mentioned it before. Go into Control Panels -> Network Connections. (If you're using the French version, you're going to have to translate, of course. wink ) Right-click on Local Area Connection, and click on Properties. Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click on Properties. In the middle of the screen, put the dot in Use the following DNS Servers. And then put in the Preferred and Secondary DNS numbers that you got from your ISP.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kae, John thinks it's more likely to be an ISP problem. If it was a problem with the configuration at your end, you wouldn't be getting anything. The only exception would be if the ISP has changed its DNS IPs.

So you should check your ISP's website (at work) and look under whatever section they have service status information. If there's nothing there, then call them.

Hope this helps!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, here's the weirdest thing. I just got a new wireless card for my laptop, and so I decided to try it out (I got a new one for a completely different reason from the one I posted here).

Well... it works like a charm! I can access *all* the websites I couldn't otherwise access. Yet it's a wireless card, so the connection goes through the router as well! huh So it's obviously not Wanadoo that's responsible for the issues (this time). But I still don't know why I can't get websites when I connect to the router through a LAN (can't be the cable unless *both* cables are faulty and don't let me access the same websites).

Kaethel huh

- Is that what we are?

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard