Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I keep hearing everyone talk about IRC. I really have NO idea what IRC is or how it works.

OK, what I think I do know it this: you use IRC to go to a chatroom called #loisclark and chat.

Here is what I don't know:

1 - What do you chat about? Specifically, is this mainly a continuation of discussions here on the boards, or is this a place to get to know each other and discuss other topics of interest, too?

Supesfan wrote in another thread:
OK, I downloaded mIRC, configured it fine, connected to Undernet servers A-OK and logged into #loisclark with the appropriate password
This brings up my next set of questions:

2 - Where do I go to find this "mIRC"?

3 - What is "Undernet servers" and how do I connect to it?

4 - Once I've downloaded "mIRC", and connected to "Undernet servers", is it going to be self-evident how to log into #loisclark, or am I going to be coming back here to ask you that, too? (Being that I've never used a chatroom and have no idea how to log into one.)

5 - Where do I go to get the password?

6 - OK, I know this is a stupid question, but I've been brave enough to ask all my other questions, I might as well ask this: Do you all use the same name on IRC that you use here? If not, how do you recognize each other?

Well, thanks to anyone who can answer these questions! smile

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
Let's see if I can help you a bit.

1 - What do you chat about? Specifically, is this mainly a continuation of discussions here on the boards, or is this a place to get to know each other and discuss other topics of interest, too?
We chat about most everything. It's a place where we get to know each other better, but we also discuss fanfic, the show, other shows, lately the topic has often been trailers. It's also a great place for thwapping and nagging. wink Generally, most everything you'd discuss with your RL friends, we discuss it too.

2 - Where do I go to find this "mIRC"?
If you use a PC, you can go to www.mirc.com and download it from there. Mac users have to go to a different site, http://www.ircle.com
3 - What is "Undernet servers" and how do I connect to it?
You have to connect to an undernet server in order to join the #loisclark channel. Elena showed it very clear once. Look at this: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000034 It should answer most of your questions.

Also, a lot of other information can be found here: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000016;p=1

4 - Once I've downloaded "mIRC", and connected to "Undernet servers", is it going to be self-evident how to log into #loisclark, or am I going to be coming back here to ask you that, too? (Being that I've never used a chatroom and have no idea how to log into one.)
The URL's above should help you with this one too. Once you're in the channel and have more questions, most of us will be able to help you. It's not so hard to use, and after you've been there a couple of times, you'll probably find it just addictive as the rest of us.

5 - Where do I go to get the password?
If you go here , you can sign up for the password.

6 - OK, I know this is a stupid question, but I've been brave enough to ask all my other questions, I might as well ask this: Do you all use the same name on IRC that you use here? If not, how do you recognize each other?
Most of us use the same nicks on IRC as you see them on the boards. For example, you will find me as Saskia (or SaskiaK) there too.

Hope this helps you on your way. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And if all that wasn't enough, there's a basic run through here on the Archive too.

If you run into any difficulties before you get into the channel, just post here - no question is too dumb and we're all bound to have hit the same problems ourselves first time, so know the answers. wink

As Sas says we pretty much chat about anything and everything under the sun. And, of course, if you practice in #loisclark, you'll have the added bonus of being an old hand and expert just in handy time for logging into the Kerth ceremony channels on Saturday! <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you!

I have managed to download and install mIRC, and I followed the instructions and was able to connect to an Undernet server. So far, so good!

Now, as soon as I receive the password (which I've already requested), I'll be all set. hyper

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard